Fmr Browns coach Rutigliano: "relaxing NFL rules on marijuana would be a 'catastrophe"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think weed leaves behind a "fog" that the other two don't. This fog impairs mental ability and motivation.

Go drinking with Selassie one time....... it's a two day process to recover......... I think there is a blog about it lol.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
But from what I've seen, weed contributes to people developing anti-societal pathologies (i.e., "going crazy") because they aren't able to function in a manner that is productive. When I say productive, I'm not talking about hours worked. I'm talking about the development of their character. I'm talking about their ability to OWN their reality. When someone slips into a false reality brought on by drugs or self-illusion caused by thought they are essentially conditioning themselves to reject reality. As a result they will be in a constant state of victimhood and may find themselves at the mercy of others.

To all of you who think its harmless to smoke weed. Good luck with that.

I am at your mercy

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Weed stays in your blood stream longer than alcohol because it is stored in fat cells. Point being; weed effects your mental functioning. If you've got a repetitive job it probably doesn't matter. If you are trying to learn something or create something, it will.

But from what I've seen, weed contributes to people developing anti-societal pathologies (i.e., "going crazy") because they aren't able to function in a manner that is productive. When I say productive, I'm not talking about hours worked. I'm talking about the development of their character. I'm talking about their ability to OWN their reality. When someone slips into a false reality brought on by drugs or self-illusion caused by thought they are essentially conditioning themselves to reject reality. As a result they will be in a constant state of victimhood and may find themselves at the mercy of others.

All you have to do to see drugs commonly used with more side effects than pot is watch TV you'll see commercials for fifty different drugs with more profound and deadly side effects, aspertame among them, any narrow minded control freak can come up with a reason to prohibit someone else from living their life the way they choose,it takes someone who understands the importance of their own freedom to respect that of others.
I don't argue pot is harmless,I argue it's none of my business what you do with your life, feel free to turn that statement around.

BTW I'm 64 and have friends who are very accomplished who've smoked weed almost daily since we were teenagers ,that some long term observation ,one is known to be one of the top 10 people in his field in the world.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The whole conversation can be boiled down to freedom. How much freedom should a person be entitled to?

Marijuana, for adults, seems to me to be a rather insignificant thing to force others from using it. But that's just me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
If there really is such a thing as an addictive personality then I qualify. Born in Germany and raised on beer for lunch and wine for dinner. In my mid-twenties I was an alcoholic like my dad and his dad before him.

In between there were amphetamines, hash, opium, LSD, pot, and of course lots and lots of booze. In my experience alcohol was the gateway drug for everything that came after due to my desire to escape from reality and an inability to cope with the stresses of my life. At 29, after two divorces and being in and out of hospitals and jails, I kicked everything.

The thing is, not everyone has an addictive personality. Most people are moderate in what they consume and smoke. Some can smoke a little bit of pot or drink a couple of glasses of wine at night and function just fine. Lumping everyone into the same group for fear that they will ruin their lives is nonsensical.

The positives of pot:

1. It's a pain reliever
2. I've seen plenty of fights break out amongst drinkers but never among pot smokers, unless you get in the way of their munchies. :)

The cons of pot:

1. My son had his car totaled by two girls smoking pot. Do we need more inebriated, distracted people driving?
2. Health problems due to ingesting smoke.

There are a lot more pros and cons but these are what first came to mind. In my 14 years working in the Federal prison system I have met many fine, young men who were incarcerated for pot offenses, some got outrageous sentences. In a society inundated with booze and prescription pills, this is hypocritical.

Still, I don't want to see one more person injured or killed while out driving by someone who got behind the wheel while stoned. Obviously I have mixed feelings about this topic.

Btw you all have done a fine job in this thread. As long as it doesn't get snarky and personal it should continue on.

tonyl711

Starter
Weed stays in your blood stream longer than alcohol because it is stored in fat cells. Point being; weed effects your mental functioning. If you've got a repetitive job it probably doesn't matter. If you are trying to learn something or create something, it will.

anti social behavior? please explain that to me, as in all my years of smoking it has never made me or anyone else I know anti social.
and I would argue strongly about how you think it stunts your character development, I would lay money that if you met myself and my friends you would not come away thinking we were of bad character or morals.
and the reality thing is just plain wrong, pot does not make you trip, you do not lose touch with reality.
and how pray tell am I in a constant state of victimhood, I don't consider myself a victim of anything and damn sure am not at anyones mercy.

and thank you, I have had good luck and good times with that.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Our last three Presidents were pot smokers,but one was too stupid to inhale

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
All you have to do to see drugs commonly used with more side effects than pot is watch TV you'll see commercials for fifty different drugs with more profound and deadly side effects, aspertame among them, any narrow minded control freak can come up with a reason to prohibit someone else from living their life the way they choose,it takes someone who understands the importance of their own freedom to respect that of others.
I don't argue pot is harmless,I argue it's none of my business what you do with your life, feel free to turn that statement around.

BTW I'm 64 and have friends who are very accomplished who've smoked weed almost daily since we were teenagers ,that some long term observation ,one is known to be one of the top 10 people in his field in the world.

Yeah, it's frighting. We're one of two countries in the world that allows drugs to be advertised on tv. And I agree with you that weed is fine for some people. I too have even seen it benefit some people. I just think that when an entire society shifts toward weed as a cure-all, which we're seeing now, there needs to be other voices out there that are creating a little pause in people's thoughts.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
anti social behavior? please explain that to me, as in all my years of smoking it has never made me or anyone else I know anti social.
and I would argue strongly about how you think it stunts your character development, I would lay money that if you met myself and my friends you would not come away thinking we were of bad character or morals.
and the reality thing is just plain wrong, pot does not make you trip, you do not lose touch with reality.
and how pray tell am I in a constant state of victimhood, I don't consider myself a victim of anything and damn sure am not at anyones mercy.

and thank you, I have had good luck and good times with that.

Not anti-social behavior. But anti-societal-pathologies.

Not bad character or morals. But defining one's character via drug use.

Not tripping. But altering one's perception of reality.

Not being a victim. But reinforcing victimhood tendencies in the human psyche.

Look all of this can be in good fun in moderation - and can even lead to creativity, if acted upon. But you should be very conscious about what you are actually doing with your mind and with your relationship to reality.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
The whole conversation can be boiled down to freedom. How much freedom should a person be entitled to?

Marijuana, for adults, seems to me to be a rather insignificant thing to force others from using it. But that's just me.

The bolded part cannot be repeated enough. Only one like possible, but 1000 intended.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Not anti-social behavior. But anti-societal-pathologies.

Not bad character or morals. But defining one's character via drug use.

Not tripping. But altering one's perception of reality.

Not being a victim. But reinforcing victimhood tendencies in the human psyche.

Look all of this can be in good fun in moderation - and can even lead to creativity, if acted upon. But you should be very conscious about what you are actually doing with your mind and with your relationship to reality.

I have seen all of this with the guys on my crews. All were smoking more than once a day. Some of them couldn't remember the instructions I gave them for more than 10 minutes at a time. I agree if someone smokes responsibly it is fine. But there is a very large number of people that will take it the wrong way. They already do. Legalizing it will just make it worse for them. One guy in particular that I have been friends with for about 10 years has struggled with addiction since I have known him. He has done it all. He started with Weed and he agrees with the 'gateway drug' concept. He went onto pills, then alcohol, Coke, Crack, Heroine, he OD'd while chewing a Fentinol patch after he had taken pills. He goes to NA meetings and can stay clean now for several weeks at a time. But he slips up now and then. The last thing he needs is for people to be standing on the street smoking weed. He doesn't go to bars, so he can pretty much avoid the alcohol. Plus public drunkenness is against the law so he is not seeing people all around drinking. But one whiff of weed and he would slip up. Is it our problem? No it is his but I pull for him and every other recovering addict to get control of their addiction. Legalizing weed may make that much, much more difficult.

wrstdude

Rookie
tumblr_lsioa0kxhb1qkqkhko1_500.gif

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Yeah, it's frighting. We're one of two countries in the world that allows drugs to be advertised on tv. And I agree with you that weed is fine for some people. I too have even seen it benefit some people. I just think that when an entire society shifts toward weed as a cure-all, which we're seeing now, there needs to be other voices out there that are creating a little pause in people's thoughts.
And FWIW I respect that POV, but in the end I think your fears we are seeing it as a cure all are a little overblown,even hyperbolic and to continue the current travesty of prohibition is producing worse effects.
BTW advertising drugs on TV wasn't the point ,the point was every therapeutic medicine has side effects and most of their side effects are so much worse than pots ,so if you accept that premise, the real problem isn't advertising them it's that they should be higher on a list of drugs that are outlawed under the presumption people need to be protected from them.
I reject the idea BTW ,and OBTW for another of the "how govt fucks legalization up" anthology, IL Med marijuana has been proposed to have a provision that in order to get a script. you had to turn in your guns, I guess some people watched Reefer Madness.

@PrimeTime
I don't agree with the addictive personality theory, I do agree with the passionate personality that goes all in on things even self destructive ones

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I have seen all of this with the guys on my crews. All were smoking more than once a day. Some of them couldn't remember the instructions I gave them for more than 10 minutes at a time. I agree if someone smokes responsibly it is fine. But there is a very large number of people that will take it the wrong way. They already do. Legalizing it will just make it worse for them. One guy in particular that I have been friends with for about 10 years has struggled with addiction since I have known him. He has done it all. He started with Weed and he agrees with the 'gateway drug' concept. He went onto pills, then alcohol, Coke, Crack, Heroine, he OD'd while chewing a Fentinol patch after he had taken pills. He goes to NA meetings and can stay clean now for several weeks at a time. But he slips up now and then. The last thing he needs is for people to be standing on the street smoking weed. He doesn't go to bars, so he can pretty much avoid the alcohol. Plus public drunkenness is against the law so he is not seeing people all around drinking. But one whiff of weed and he would slip up. Is it our problem? No it is his but I pull for him and every other recovering addict to get control of their addiction. Legalizing weed may make that much, much more difficult.
And so the rest of society should suffer criminal penalties because your friend broke the law and did exactly what the law was supposed to stop?
The law facilitated your friends "demise" first by making him indulge in secret ,by making his illness a crime,OK it destroyed your friends life so far, but if the problem was addressed as a public health issue he could have gotten help sooner, the intervention "industry" with the budget the prosecution "industry" gets would be so much ahead of where it is today.
Speaking of drug addiction ,I think it's a travesty hell it's criminal how the VA is taking PTSD victims and basically turning them into drug addicts.

dhaab

Rookie
Is the idea to protect the people from themselves or to protect the country from evolving into a lackadaisical, less productive one?

I have experienced the nonexistant work ethic of todays younger generation. It is appalling to witness the level of entitlement that I have seen. I point this out because I wonder what the next generation, who believes smoking pot is acceptable because it is legal will work like. Smoking pot does not enhance performance, it detracts from it. It is way to easy to hide and use at work, like I pointed out.

I just don't see the benefits of it. I don't think I ever will. And I am not speaking from innocence here. I don't like the government trying to control everything anymore than the next guy, but I don't see where it would be advantageous for our future generations to be openly free Pot smokers.

Seriously, exactly how many pot users do you actually know? I've been around people who smoke for 20+ years and many of them perform tasks much better when they're smoking it than when they aren't. It all depends on the person. To say that smoking pot makes everyone lazier is simply an ignorant comment.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Seriously, exactly how many pot users do you actually know? I've been around people who smoke for 20+ years and many of them perform tasks much better when they're smoking it than when they aren't. It all depends on the person. To say that smoking pot makes everyone lazier is simply an ignorant comment.

You believe smoking Weed enhances your performance? Your friends drive better when high? That is the same argument my crewmembers used to throw at me. Except they said, since it was illegal and they didn't want get caught they drove more carefully when high.

I have said on here that recreational smoking done responsibly is fine.

I posted on a similar thread about the mental addiction created by smoking weed. But here it is again. When people take a drug that replaces Dopamine production, like Pot does, the brain will stop making Dopamine at the required levels. The affect of this is a person who smokes on a regular basis has to smoke to get dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical your brain produces that makes you feel good/happy. So, regular smokers feel lethargic, irritated, or even depressed when they are not at least mildly high. If the drug is stopped normal dopamine production resumes over a period of about 3 months. Marijuana is also carcenogenic. Just google it. There are many studies on the affects of marijuana use. I had to take classes on it for my old job. I am not just making stuff up. Smoking weed has stronger affects than most users want to realize.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I think weed leaves behind a "fog" that the other two don't. This fog impairs mental ability and motivation.
Any of them can create a addiction which in turn limits ones ability to accomplish or do anything in life.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Any of them can create a addiction which in turn limits ones ability to accomplish or do anything in life.
Video games do not. Some people claim they do. They are wrong.

Weak willed people and their white knights (particularly ones who get paid for doing so) throw out the "addiction" label in order to blame the media rather than the person when the person doesn't know when to turn off the game and go do real life stuff for a while.

A bit of a rant, but it's a huge pet peeve of mine.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

Well hell any freedom that doesn't deny you your's of course. I think "we hold that truth to be self evident".

Can you explain the rest of the post cuz your composition leaves me uncertain what you are saying.