FIXING THE OFFENSE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

classicpony

Starter
Name
Jim
1ST FIRE the OC
2nd draft a new QB
3rd draft or get someone that can catch the ball
4th get a better O.L.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't think any of that can be done in time for Chicago...

So what can we do this week?

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
I think its a bit harsh to be condemning the whole offense after 8 games. Lets see how the rest of the season plays out before making such sweeping changes.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
A lot of panic lately. .... not me....it's just my opinion. ..I'm not ready too just yet.....we have constantly shuffled our oline....mostly because of injury ....as soon as thing settle down on our oline I think things will fall into place....we came awfully close to beating a very good Vikings team at they're home field minus a large contingent of quality starters not playing because of injury.... we will see....but so far no panic here.......;)

Go Rams......... ;)

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Title in all caps? check.
wide spread cuts? check.
actually fixing the offense? ........

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
1st. Establish the run with Gurley and quick passes to Austin and Welker take pressure off of a young offensive line. Havenstein getting back should help with that. If he can't go, then put Darrell Williams at right tackle. Get some continuity.

2nd. Give the offensive coordinator the reins. Let him make the calls as he will. Cigs has done a good job for most of the games, especially given what he has, but Fisher has to let him breathe. Give him some slack like he does Gregg Williams.

3rd. Put Keenum in at quarterback for the rest of the season if Foles can't cut it for the first half of the Bears game. Now's not the time to play favorites. Everything can and should be evaluated, especially the pass-catchers and quarterback. This is our season, our time to shine, and we're not going to let anyone take that from us.

4th. Go over the middle. We need to start exposing the middle of the field. The Bears do not have anyone nearly as good as Harrison Wright in their secondary. Forget about Cook at this point. Kendricks needs to be seeing those targets because he actually catches them. Quick and Britt on go-routes aren't working, so why not have them use their bodies over the middle? Even a slant to Welker or Austin would be good.

5th. Don't forget who we are. We're a ground-and-pound team, first and foremost, and we don't have the targets to throw to or the quarterback to throw to them. Get Mason and Cunningham some carries to keep Gurley fresh or even have a two/three back set and split one of them out wide to show the defense another look. Right now, our running backs (and Austin) are our best threats. Use them.

6th. Synergize with the defense. Keep the clock moving. Get into the endzone whenever you can, however you can. The more we can wear down their weak defense, the higher our percentage of winning goes.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
A lot of panic lately. .... not me....it's just my opinion. ..I'm not ready too just yet.....we have constantly shuffled our oline....mostly because of injury ....as soon as thing settle down on our oline I think things will fall into place....we came awfully close to beating a very good Vikings team at they're home field minus a large contingent of quality starters not playing because of injury.... we will see....but so far no panic here.......;)

Go Rams......... ;)
Solid post. Sometimes I lose sight of the logic behind why things happen, but it's mainly because I'm really growing impatient with waiting on a playoff berth. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. That's a lot of waiting. That's a lot of getting my hopes up and convincing myself that this is the year. It's year 11 now, and it's getting a little depressing. Name something else you'd hang around waiting on for 11 years. Jeez.

I used to think THIS was aggravating.

vpIl55v.jpg

Fuck, I'll take that many playoff losses over a 17 year span again and be eternally grateful for it.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
IMO, the offense begins and ends with the line. The line has to do their job first before any quarterback or any running back can be consistently successful.

Gurley is special, no doubt, but he needs at least a seam to get through. He had what, 89 yards, against the Vikings? He didn't get much in the way of seams, let alone holes, and still did pretty well. We've all seen what he does when there is a nice hole.

The OL needs to be healthy, for one, because they can't get much work in from the trainer's room. If they're healthy, then continuity comes into play which will help the development of the players we have. The Rams have what they have now barring bringing in any street free agents or PS players. I doubt we'd see much improvement from any such players. The guys that are here now and available have to be coached up and put in the best possible position to succeed. Obviously, that falls on the coaching staff. Boudreau and Cignetti have their work cut out for them.

jjab360

Legend
1st. Establish the run with Gurley and quick passes to Austin and Welker take pressure off of a young offensive line. Havenstein getting back should help with that. If he can't go, then put Darrell Williams at right tackle. Get some continuity.

2nd. Give the offensive coordinator the reins. Let him make the calls as he will. Cigs has done a good job for most of the games, especially given what he has, but Fisher has to let him breathe. Give him some slack like he does Gregg Williams.

3rd. Put Keenum in at quarterback for the rest of the season if Foles can't cut it for the first half of the Bears game. Now's not the time to play favorites. Everything can and should be evaluated, especially the pass-catchers and quarterback. This is our season, our time to shine, and we're not going to let anyone take that from us.

4th. Go over the middle. We need to start exposing the middle of the field. The Bears do not have anyone nearly as good as Harrison Wright in their secondary. Forget about Cook at this point. Kendricks needs to be seeing those targets because he actually catches them. Quick and Britt on go-routes aren't working, so why not have them use their bodies over the middle? Even a slant to Welker or Austin would be good.

5th. Don't forget who we are. We're a ground-and-pound team, first and foremost, and we don't have the targets to throw to or the quarterback to throw to them. Get Mason and Cunningham some carries to keep Gurley fresh or even have a two/three back set and split one of them out wide to show the defense another look. Right now, our running backs (and Austin) are our best threats. Use them.

6th. Synergize with the defense. Keep the clock moving. Get into the endzone whenever you can, however you can. The more we can wear down their weak defense, the higher our percentage of winning goes.
One thing. I think changing QBs is most effective as a game to game adjustment like from Davis to Hill, not a halftime adjustment. Unless of course the game is already over by that point.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
Solid post. Sometimes I lose sight of the logic behind why things happen, but it's mainly because I'm really growing impatient with waiting on a playoff berth. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. That's a lot of waiting. That's a lot of getting my hopes up and convincing myself that this is the year. It's year 11 now, and it's getting a little depressing. Name something else you'd hang around waiting on for 11 years. Jeez.

I used to think THIS was aggravating.

vpIl55v.jpg

freak, I'll take that many playoff losses over a 17 year span again and be eternally grateful for it.

It WAS aggravating! ;) Having been there and seen that, like you have, makes this current playoff drought very aggravating. :headexplosion:

Different times, different expectations I guess...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think they should make Wes Welker the new OC since he's the one guy who knows nothing about the current offense.

Big Willie

Starter
What can we do for the Chicago game?
  • Be unpredictable...you can run just so many sweeps and bubble screens with Tavon
  • Have 5-10 pass plays for Welker, and the same for Quick (no site adjustments...just run this route)
  • Incorporate the quick slant into the air attack (3 step and fire...so Foles doesn't hold the ball long)
  • More 3 or 4 wide receiver packages....less Cook
  • Add a true fullback and incorporate some traditional 2 back sets into the offense
  • Add some rollout packages for Foles to minimize the area he has to survey
  • Mix in hurry up after big gains to keep the defense off balance

RamzFanz

Damnit
1ST FIRE the OC - Man, that's harsh. His first half season, we're undefeated in the NFCW and we're still in the playoff hunt, and he's done?

2nd draft a new QB - We did. It takes years to raise a QB. Not that I'm against another but then what? 4 QBs? Fire Mannion? No experienced backup? What if the balls get caught and Foles takes us to the playoffs? What about the extension they just signed?

3rd draft or get someone that can catch the ball - Agreed.

4th get a better O.L. - New o-lines take half a season to gel typically. It's a little too soon to see what we have. adding rookies isn't exactly a quick fix unless you get lucky.