FIXING THE OFFENSE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Stuff I'd like to see in the Welker Package. The 4 WR formation @Mojo Ram posted above. Run your typical run fake and/or reverse fake to suck in the linebackers, then hit Welker on a crossing route.

Line Welker up at one slot and Cook on the other. Run Cook up the Seam and Welker crossing behind the LBers.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Ask Madden

tight-slots.png
That Bench play is a cover 2 ball buster with a strong QB. Over the OLB, behind the corner and in front of the safety. Boom! 10 yards to the slot receiver every time....in Madden.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That Bench play is a cover 2 ball buster with a strong QB. Over the OLB, behind the corner and in front of the safety. Boom! 10 yards to the slot receiver every time....in Madden.
You should try the drag cross-ups. Pump fake (if you have time) in the middle of the drag route and hit the RB over the middle for a monster gain.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
You should try the drag cross-ups. Pump fake (if you have time) in the middle of the drag route and hit the RB over the middle for a monster gain.
Yeah there's another Madden play similar to that one i used to use alot on 3rd and long. Streaking WR's(3) and drag the TE while your RB gets 10 over the middle. NICE.
I don't play Madden anymore. I was addicted from like '01 through '08 but then they started complicating shit on offense. [Rage mode] All i want to do is send my WR in motion and snap the ball. Thats it! Fuck! [delay of game]
:(

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I always called a good defense though. I guess you could say i was the Jeff Fisher of Madden.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah there's another Madden play similar to that one i used to use alot on 3rd and long. Streaking WR's(3) and drag the TE while your RB gets 10 over the middle. NICE.
I don't play Madden anymore. I was addicted from like '01 through '08 but then they started complicating crap on offense. [Rage mode] All i want to do is send my WR in motion and snap the ball. Thats it! freak! [delay of game]
:(
Yeah, it has gotten a bit ridiculous over the years. Can't play unless you have one formation and 3 audibles set up. Trying to scroll through plays looking for a particular grouping almost always results in a delay of game now. I started playing in 95 on Sega with a buddy. Something beautiful about those pixelated upright rectangles now that I reflect back on it.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
wow......I thought I was impatient....
More play-action passing....on first down....with throws to Cook, QUICK, and BRITT.....keep all the other stuff....Start Wichmann at guard...Donnall is a tackle backup ONLY....Reynolds is a guard ONLY....
and, if Foles starts out slow...bench him for Keenum....I'd give him his spot back...next game...only if Keenum doesn't light it up....A lil bench discipline never hurt anybody....

Other coaching moves...stop playing for FGs....field position...silly, loser mentality stuff...gamble....I actually like a bunch of Cigs play-calls...we need to see some extended drives to see where he's going with em.... 3 & outs kill the OCs creativity...That 2nd half last week was brutal...

Anyone else notice how good Connor Cook is looking? Just saying..
a very good Vikings team at they're home field
I'll reserve judgment on that very good team....very beatable team IMO.....left plays all over the field on offense & defense...

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch the Vikings game . When there are 9 men at the LOS you can't run the ball . Pass the ball over the middle once in a while

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1ST FIRE the OC - Man, that's harsh. His first half season, we're undefeated in the NFCW and we're still in the playoff hunt, and he's done?

2nd draft a new QB - We did. It takes years to raise a QB. Not that I'm against another but then what? 4 QBs? Fire Mannion? No experienced backup? What if the balls get caught and Foles takes us to the playoffs? What about the extension they just signed?

3rd draft or get someone that can catch the ball - Agreed.

4th get a better O.L. - New o-lines take half a season to gel typically. It's a little too soon to see what we have. adding rookies isn't exactly a quick fix unless you get lucky.
actually, someone posted in another thread that Foles consistently did not see open targets all game long, thus no longer incriminating the offensive line. the play action passes were working until the vikings started blitzing. then the Rams had nothing to counter that defensive response with (see : draws, screens, hard cadence i.e, (see william hayes). (y)

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah, it has gotten a bit ridiculous over the years. Can't play unless you have one formation and 3 audibles set up. Trying to scroll through plays looking for a particular grouping almost always results in a delay of game now. I started playing in 95 on Sega with a buddy. Something beautiful about those pixelated upright rectangles now that I reflect back on it.
WAIT A MINUTE!!! How does ANY of this get our OC fired? You guys need to concentrate.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2015/1...ms-top-5-defense-but-a-top-5-offense-its-true

St. Louis Rams: Top 5 Defense, but a Top 5 Offense? It's true...
By Douglas M@thenovelroad on Nov 11, 2015

usa-today-8913062.0.jpg

I know some of you do what I do every week: You head over to NFL.com, hit the "Stats" pull-down, then the team stats link to see how the Rams fared when compared to other NFL teams...

This one made me smile: Among the Top 5 in "Total Defense", the Rams have finally landed where I thought they should be...

Total Defense (YPG).............................. Complete List
1. Denver Broncos............................................ 274.1
2. Seattle Seahawks.......................................... 284.9
3. Arizona Cardinals......................................... 312.8
4. New York Jets............................................... 323.2
5. St. Louis Rams.............................................. 323.8

But what caught my eyes - as I reveled in the three NFC West teams being among the very best defenses - was in the lower left corner of the page. Have a look:

Rushing (YPG).................................................... Complete List
1. Carolina Panthers.................................................... 142.2
2. Buffalo Bills............................................................ 141.6
3. Seattle Seahawks..................................................... 139.5
4. St. Louis Rams........................................................ 135.5
5. Pittsburgh Steelers.................................................. 133.4

A "Top 5" offensive category for the St. Louis Rams? If this had been the first couple weeks of a season, I could see any team having a chance to make an appearance on the page. But this is more than half way through an NFL season, and where teams normally show just how good they'll be down the stretch. At this point, teams making these lists aren't doing it with single week splashes. They're doing it by consistently excelling in a facet of the game.

I think I see why head coach Jeff Fisher looks and sounds so determined when he talks about how "Our offense needs to get better..." He sees the same stats we do as fans, and knows if he can edge his team off the bottom of the "passing stats" pile, the Rams can quickly turn into something special in 2015.

The Wes Welker signing makes more sense to me now too. Fisher sees Welker as a guy who can add a few 3rd-down conversions, while hopefully adding some mid-field catches to help Nick Foles. Fisher knows he needs to add layers to his offense, or risk Todd Gurley grinding to a halt.

At 34, Welker isn't the wide receiver he used to be. A trip to the NFL Hall of Fame for the key cog in both Tom Brady's and Peyton Manning's careers is more than a possibility somewhere down the road. Rams opponents won't take it lightly when Welker trots onto the field. He'll make the heads of more than a few linebackers, safeties, and corner backs turn his way...

The loss to the Viking was tough, but don't fail to see just how much this team's learning curve is tightening up. Glitches and mistakes are there still, but so is the ability to overcome them. This young offensive line is beginning to grow into the job. But what impresses me most, is the apparent depth when it comes to offensive linemen right now for the Rams. Yes they're raw, but this may very well be the deepest talent I've seen along the line for St. Louis in the past decade.

The biggest game of the year down the stretch for St. Louis won't be against Arizona, Seattle or San Francisco. It's coming Week #12 in Cincinnati, and it will be the tipping point for St. Louis in 2015. On the road, against a all-but-guaranteed post season top team, it will be the load test for Jeff Fisher's Rams.

But first they have to get by a surging Chicago Bears, and a dangerous Baltimore Ravens teams that's been reeling. After this trifecta, they'll have three straight home against Arizona, Detroit, and Tampa Bay before heading West to finish the year at Seattle and San Francisco.

Jeff Fisher, I see what you see, and I'm buying into what will be the most exciting season for the St. Louis Rams in a long, long, time...
---------
135 yards rushing per game means literally shit...
If your passing Attack nets about the same. Its great to see us in the top 5 of anything offemsive though i must confess. Hopefully, as you pointed out, welker can add an extra dynamic that weve been missing.
-------
But it's another box to check off as the Rams improve, right? Come on! Admit it!
--------
So, do you want 500ypg like the Chargers
And a 2-7 record?
Since Gurley, Rams are averaging close to 200 rushing ypg (Best rushing offense in the NFL 3 weeks in a row)
Above that we don’t need 300 air yards, 200-240 is enough, and we are close to that number, solving the pass dropping issue may be enough
-------
Another thing to consider is this:
The Rams’ passing offense adds another 80 per game, and they’d be a Top 15 passing attack. Right now, St. Louis has only 400 fewer passing yards than Green Bay, and 800 fewer than Cincinnati – both first place teams…
--------
I need third down conversions to keep our defense fresh
300 yards through the air shouldnt be this unachievable stat. If We want to be a running team i am 100% for it but youre going to kill your superbowl caliber defense in a hurry if the offense goes rush for 3 yards incomplete pass rush for 4 yards all game long

What were doing is simply not going to win us anything. We need a passing attack that can sustain drives when were in 3rd and 5/6 situations.
-------
Exactly this
Yardage from our passing game isn’t a concern at all. What matters is third down conversion. The passing game for us is nothing more than a means to keep Gurley on the field. So looking at passing yardage is a canard. The passing game isn’t moving the chains. Therefore, the passing game is an utter and total failure at this point.

But hey, most of you got what you wanted, and this is what it looks like.
--------
Cut the penalties in half and we are in business

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
wow......I thought I was impatient....
More play-action passing....on first down....with throws to Cook, QUICK, and BRITT.....keep all the other stuff....Start Wichmann at guard...Donnall is a tackle backup ONLY....Reynolds is a guard ONLY....
and, if Foles starts out slow...bench him for Keenum....I'd give him his spot back...next game...only if Keenum doesn't light it up....A lil bench discipline never hurt anybody....

Other coaching moves...stop playing for FGs....field position...silly, loser mentality stuff...gamble....I actually like a bunch of Cigs play-calls...we need to see some extended drives to see where he's going with em.... 3 & outs kill the OCs creativity...That 2nd half last week was brutal...

Anyone else notice how good Connor Cook is looking? Just saying..
I'll reserve judgment on that very good team....very beatable team IMO.....left plays all over the field on offense & defense...

I agree but they are 6-2.....and maybe my point was that we had our chances to beat them....the Packers...the Steelers. ...we beat the Cardinals and the Seahawks among others.....is it that they are not that good....or are we that close.....either way I find myself not panicking. .....but I'm excited by the potential we have shown.....if the oline comes together and the pieces begin to fall into place as I suspect they will....just my opinion. ....we will be a very tough out in the playoffs. ...and no I'm not worried about the playoffs yet......;)

Go Rams....... ;)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
1. More play action. Use it, defenses hate it when you have a good ground game.

2. More slants and vertical quick hitters ffs.

3. Sit Cook. Where is the accountability for sucking? Without that this offense will never get off the ground.

4. 4 WRs are > 3 WRs and Cook. Plus I do think spreading out defenses helps Gurley.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
wohhaaa - knee jerk reaction time or what?

1. We just overhauled our O from top to bottom this off-season really, lets not do it again.
2. Some things ARE working, our o-line is young, they can only get better - I recon if our starting lines (both O & D) had been on the playing field against the Vikings we would have won that game.
3. I want to see what Welker can add to our passing game - its been a while since we had a solid catch-all slot receiver (please let him stay healthy!) let him own the slot - Even if he does 4-6 yard catches, we WILL move the chains and Cook (or Kendricks) can run the seam, Britt/Quick can go deep and Tavon, can just pop out where the mis-match will be, spread the Defense and then utilise Gurley in the way he knows how ;)
4. Calm down guys, I know a lot of people are knocking Foles, but he's our QB, he's taking some serious hits out there but is still playing, dont forget the way you felt after week one when we beat the Seahawks - he was the Great Redeemer, keep the faith guys!

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
5. Make Foles do progressions all day in practice, don't let him leave until you're 100% certain he's going to scan all the field instead of look at his first read and then throw it there regardless of what is happening.