FIXING THE OFFENSE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Use Gurley more than 1 play per series. (If they run him on first down and only get 2-3 they almost always pass on 2nd down. If a scrub on a web site can figure this out.....guess who else can.......correct...everybody.)
Get away from the pattern. (If they pass on first down....they always run on 2nd....and then what has already been pointed out....)
Run a bubble screen release. (use a blocker to fake block and then head downfield for pass in between CB and safety rotaing over. It will slow down their pursuit of the bubble screen.)
Don't let Gurley out of the game (because they always use Mason for a series.....not a play and that series always peters out.....).
Use play action off jumbo set. That gives the versatility to either attack a defense running or passing from the same set.
And last but not least.....execute!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why not attack the middle of the field more? Maybe 10-20 yarders.

Foles is reportedly very successful with those passes. They're so much easier and safer than the 15 yard outs.

Hopefully, Welker can become handy in that area.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Why not attack the middle of the field more?:deadhorse: Maybe 10-20 yarders.

Foles is reportedly very successful with those passes. They're so much easier and safer than the 15 yard outs.

Hopefully, Welker Quick can become handy in that area.
Fixed it for ya 43!(y):yess:

http://ramblinfan.com/2015/11/12/future-hold-st-louis-rams-brian-quick/

This week has seen some significant changes on the St Louis Rams wide receiver depth chart. Third year pro Stedman Bailey finds himself suspended for four games for a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Coming in is veteran Wes Welker who, with five Pro Bowl appearances to his name, has the same tally as the entire rest of the roster combined.

Widely acknowledged as one of the most problematic areas of the team in recent years with the Rams famously lacking a 1000-yard receiver since 2007, one man who has failed to live up to lofty expectations is Brian Quick. Drafted at the very top of round 2 in 2012, Quick was brought in to be the tall, athletic deep threat the Rams were desperately lacking. It has not worked out.

The former Appalachian State man failed to break 500 yards for his first two years combined, despite missing only one game in that time. 2014 was by far his most productive season, amassing 375 and 3 touchdowns in just seven games and he appeared to have a good rapport with quarterback Austin Davis. Unfortunately for Quick and the Rams, Quick sustained a season-ending shoulder injury against Kansas City. In 2015 so far Quick has a paltry 3 catches for 14 yards.

Part of Quick’s problem has been that his strengths do not lend themselves to the type of offense the St Louis Rams have been playing. Jeff Fisher is a run-first head coach. In past seasons Quick has been suffocated by ultra-conservative scheming for former co-ordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Paired with a quarterback in Sam Bradford who specializes in the quick read and short drop passing game to his running backs or slot receivers was also not exactly a catalyst for making best of Quick’s downfield ability.

It was only when he had the more expansive Austin Davis under centre that he enjoyed some success. And of course, Quick suffered along with all the other receivers through a weak offensive line being unable to protect a succession of quarterbacks.

Quick’s detractors may argue these are just excuses for a player drafted too high by a team in desperation? Possibly not. Quick was projected to be a high second-round pick before the 2012 draft, so it can just as easily be said the St Louis Rams were right on the money with where they took him. Unquestionably Quick has always had all the physical attributes necessary to be a successful receiver in the NFL.

He has never fumbled the ball as a pro, and has a fairly completion rate when thrown to. The problem is, he has not been thrown to anything like often enough to get any meaningful production from him.

Ultimately, it may just be a case of Brian Quick not featuring that prominently in Jeff Fisher’s plans. When Fisher brought in Kenny Britt with whom he had previously worked in Tennessee Quick’s stock fell sharply, with Fisher clearly preferring Britt as the deep target man. Tavon Austin has taken on a much greater role in 2015 and, of course, the emergence of a real star in Todd Gurley has further restricted opportunities for the ball to come Quick’s way. Quick’s fans will continue to hope that he can get more action and help elevate the Rams from their current rock bottom position in the league’s passing stats. Whether this transpires with the recent roster changes remains to be seen.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I was sure that once Foles settled in with Quick he would start feeding him. Talk about disappointment, particularly considering how well Quick played last season pre injury.

But who knows, maybe Bailey's suspension will expedite Quick getting more passes. Sure hope so, particularly the slant and sluggo patterns that would open up a lot of other things.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the main thing is to not be as predictable.

You simply cannot continue to act like they did in OT last week. It'll fail just about every time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Waiting for your kid(s) to grow up and be successful?

The two are kinda similar...
If my kids failed grades 1-11, I'd be rather skeptical about their future success.
But then again, that's what lotteries are for.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Solid post. Sometimes I lose sight of the logic behind why things happen, but it's mainly because I'm really growing impatient with waiting on a playoff berth. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. That's a lot of waiting. That's a lot of getting my hopes up and convincing myself that this is the year. It's year 11 now, and it's getting a little depressing. Name something else you'd hang around waiting on for 11 years. Jeez.

I used to think THIS was aggravating.

vpIl55v.jpg

freak, I'll take that many playoff losses over a 17 year span again and be eternally grateful for it.

That chart is a year after I was born to a year before I graduated high school. I'm not convinced I'd be a rams fan without that tradition of a winning product year in and year out. ( no matter how cool the horns looked)
Thrill of victory, agony of defeat...all that, I get it. But I'm not sure I could have maintained the fanaticism I did with a 'more losing than winning' upbringing.
They were in my blood at that point.
That 100 loss record in the 90's was countered by a Superbowl, so all was forgiven by my dumb-ass.
This team has fallen off the wagon again, and this time it's been 11 years.
I already got my Superbowl.
I'm in full concurrence with your sentiment.
I just want final table year in and year out. (a la Andy Reid with the Eagles)
Maybe get lucky in one of those post seasons and catch fire (a la Ravens a few years back)
I just want peace on earth, good will to man, good football, good beer, good lovins from my honey, and more W's than L's. Is that too much to ask?

tangent regarding the "good beer" thought above.....had annual physical today, doctor says I need to cut out hoppy beer. WTF!? anyone have good alternative to IPA?
Go Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Solid post. Sometimes I lose sight of the logic behind why things happen, but it's mainly because I'm really growing impatient with waiting on a playoff berth. 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. That's a lot of waiting. That's a lot of getting my hopes up and convincing myself that this is the year. It's year 11 now, and it's getting a little depressing. Name something else you'd hang around waiting on for 11 years. Jeez.

I used to think THIS was aggravating.

vpIl55v.jpg

freak, I'll take that many playoff losses over a 17 year span again and be eternally grateful for it.

Eh, if we had that, we'd get spoiled and complain about only going 9-7 or 10-6 or only making it to the first round of the playoffs. It's always funny when I see fans of teams that are consistently good throwing temper tantrums and posting doom and gloom because they lost a game.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Fixed it for ya 43!(y):yess:

http://ramblinfan.com/2015/11/12/future-hold-st-louis-rams-brian-quick/

This week has seen some significant changes on the St Louis Rams wide receiver depth chart. Third year pro Stedman Bailey finds himself suspended for four games for a violation of the NFL’s substance-abuse policy. Coming in is veteran Wes Welker who, with five Pro Bowl appearances to his name, has the same tally as the entire rest of the roster combined.

Widely acknowledged as one of the most problematic areas of the team in recent years with the Rams famously lacking a 1000-yard receiver since 2007, one man who has failed to live up to lofty expectations is Brian Quick. Drafted at the very top of round 2 in 2012, Quick was brought in to be the tall, athletic deep threat the Rams were desperately lacking. It has not worked out.

The former Appalachian State man failed to break 500 yards for his first two years combined, despite missing only one game in that time. 2014 was by far his most productive season, amassing 375 and 3 touchdowns in just seven games and he appeared to have a good rapport with quarterback Austin Davis. Unfortunately for Quick and the Rams, Quick sustained a season-ending shoulder injury against Kansas City. In 2015 so far Quick has a paltry 3 catches for 14 yards.

Part of Quick’s problem has been that his strengths do not lend themselves to the type of offense the St Louis Rams have been playing. Jeff Fisher is a run-first head coach. In past seasons Quick has been suffocated by ultra-conservative scheming for former co-ordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Paired with a quarterback in Sam Bradford who specializes in the quick read and short drop passing game to his running backs or slot receivers was also not exactly a catalyst for making best of Quick’s downfield ability.

It was only when he had the more expansive Austin Davis under centre that he enjoyed some success. And of course, Quick suffered along with all the other receivers through a weak offensive line being unable to protect a succession of quarterbacks.

Quick’s detractors may argue these are just excuses for a player drafted too high by a team in desperation? Possibly not. Quick was projected to be a high second-round pick before the 2012 draft, so it can just as easily be said the St Louis Rams were right on the money with where they took him. Unquestionably Quick has always had all the physical attributes necessary to be a successful receiver in the NFL.

He has never fumbled the ball as a pro, and has a fairly completion rate when thrown to. The problem is, he has not been thrown to anything like often enough to get any meaningful production from him.

Ultimately, it may just be a case of Brian Quick not featuring that prominently in Jeff Fisher’s plans. When Fisher brought in Kenny Britt with whom he had previously worked in Tennessee Quick’s stock fell sharply, with Fisher clearly preferring Britt as the deep target man. Tavon Austin has taken on a much greater role in 2015 and, of course, the emergence of a real star in Todd Gurley has further restricted opportunities for the ball to come Quick’s way. Quick’s fans will continue to hope that he can get more action and help elevate the Rams from their current rock bottom position in the league’s passing stats. Whether this transpires with the recent roster changes remains to be seen.

It's just maddening that they cannot must the imagination to get Quick involved in the offense - something that would only help in opening things up in the running game for Gurley and Tavon. C'mon Fish and Cigs, it can be done ... don't waste this guy's talent.

maximus

Rookie
Pick plays. Use them. On third downs. They are legal if one receiver blocks 1 yard from the LOS. Seahags converted 2 or 3 third downs by using pick plays in their last drive against the Cowboys. Many teams use pick plays to help the receivers get separation.

Where has the trips formation disappeared? Scored a nice TD against Arizona using a trips, then nothing. Should had use it in the second half against the Vikings.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pick plays. Use them. On third downs. They are legal if one receiver blocks 1 yard from the LOS. Seahags converted 2 or 3 third downs by using pick plays in their last drive against the Cowboys. Many teams use pick plays to help the receivers get separation.

Where has the trips formation disappeared? Scored a nice TD against Arizona using a trips, then nothing. Should had use it in the second half against the Vikings.

They are not legal if a receiver blocks before the ball is caught. And knowing the refs love of penalizing us, we'd definitely get flagged...whether or not we ran it legally.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I see a lot of missed blocks, receivers covered like blankets, and predictable plays. That is what is killing this offense IMH-uneducated-O.
When I watch other teams it seems that their receivers are always way more open more of the time then the Rams. Is it the receivers? the play design not allowing receivers to get open by exploiting the opposing defensive schemes? Or is the QB not finding the open receivers? Or am I not seeing it correctly?
It really seems like opposing teams have a very good idea what the play is going to be or knowing that the Rams only have so many looks so it narrows the choices of what the play is going to be.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really seems like opposing teams have a very good idea what the play is going to be or knowing that the Rams only have so many looks so it narrows the choices of what the play is going to be.
Yup... IM(also uneducated O), this is the biggest obstacle.

Maybe our WRs don't get as open because they know the ball isn't going to be passed. I dunno...

JCK363

Behind Enemy Lines
Name
John
There are so many threads on here related to the offense and it's current state, that I'm not sure which one to post this in. That said, I was thinking about where we are here in the middle of this season and where we were last year in the middle of the season.

Mid-season last year we were somewhat at a loss as to why our #sackcity defense wasn't as impressive as we expected it to be. We had several returning starters, a defensive minded head coach, and a DC that seemed perfect to get our D to the top of the charts. We went, what, 5 games before our first sack? It was the major talking point about the Rams in the media and on this site... Why is the defense not what we expected? What went wrong?

Here we are at the mid-point of this season. We have a new OC, new assistant offensive coaches, new quarterback, new running back, even if he doesn't play like one, (and he's really only played in about half of our games) one (second year) returning starter and 2-3 rookies on the Online... And we're scratching our heads as to why they aren't performing like we expected them to!

I really think we will see improvement as the second half plays out,just like we did last year with the defense. Will they be as dominant an offense at the end of the year as our D was last year? I doubt it. Do they need to be dominant? I don't think so. They just have to be better than they have been. They just have to be respectable. I think (hope?) that they will be. JMHO

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If my kids failed grades 1-11, I'd be rather skeptical about their future success.
But then again, that's what lotteries are for.
Uh, you can give them a participation trophy, and all will be well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure what can be done to fix the offense. I could make a slew of recommendations but the truth is that none would matter unless Nick Foles could execute them...and I don't have much trust in him right now.

fearsomefour

Legend
It will start first possession this Sunday. Doesn't even have to score....just pick up a couple of first downs and control field position.
I am going to be optimistic and look for a couple of things on the first possession.
First play pass.....a misdirection of some kind. Quick with a catch on the first possession. A score on the first possession. Even a FG would help.
The Bears D is not bad....cannot be one dimensional vs them. Probably will have to pass to loosen up the run a bit.