Five potential fits for RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Boomer: Rams and 49ers Make Most Sense For RG3

SI.com’s Boomer Esiason takes a look at which teams may be interested in picking up Robert Griffin III for the 2016 NFL season. The Rams are one team he thinks could make sense for RG3.

Watch Boomer Talk RG3

RamBill

Legend
While it’s become very clear that Robert Griffin III is not likely to return to the Redskins, it remains to be seen where he’ll end up. Cowboys? Rams? Mike Florio breaks it all down. Florio is fascinated about the prospect of Griffin playing with the Rams. Are the Rams better off rolling the dice on a rookie, or taking a chance on Griffin?

Watch Florio Talk RG3

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
RG3 would be a horrible fit for the Rams and Cowboys.

Anyone suggesting otherwise just doesn't understand anything beyond the QB designation.

I will need heavy tranqs if the Rams sign RG3, even if for only a dollar. He's not a fit. Period.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Maybe for fans in the area. But for us displaced fans, your new digs don't give you a grace period at all.
4 winning seasons in 26 years and I'm supposed to be even MORE patient?

Get to work.
Very true. Good point, but in terms of ticket sales, fan excitement buying merchandise etc(the stuff that matters)..that long honeymoon period counts as quite alot.
As you pointed out, most of those LA fans haven't been throwing bricks though their televisions the last 10 years so and that is a GOOD thing.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
At what price? I'd roll the dice on him, he really can't be any worse than what we saw from Foles / Keenum last year. We won in the RGIII draft because we had so many needs - now the key need is QB, if he's fit and healthy, the guy is a threat, whether you like it or not, he has an arrogance about him, but he's a QB for goodness sake -= Arrogance is part of the position... isn't it?

nighttrain

Legend
Very true. Good point, but in terms of ticket sales, fan excitement buying merchandise etc(the stuff that matters)..that long honeymoon period counts as quite alot.
As you pointed out, most of those LA fans haven't been throwing bricks though their televisions the last 10 years so and that is a GOOD thing.
aint been good for my TV
train

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Redskins coach Jay Gruden on Robert Griffin III

Posted on February 24, 2016 by Vincent Bonsignore
http://www.insidesocal.com/nfl/2016/02/24/redskins-coach-jay-gruden-on-robert-griffin-iii/

It’s no secret the Rams might soon be interested in Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III. With Kirk Cousins taking over the quarterback job in Washington D.C., the Redskins are expected to release RG3 soon.

And with the Rams obvious need at quarterback, Los Angeles is a logical potential landing spot.

The problem is figuring out what the heck happened to RG3 in Washington that he went from potential franchise quarterback after being named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2012 to not even taking a snap during the 2015 season and likely looking for a job in two weeks.

It’s easy to dismiss RG3 as a bust considering his dramatic fall, but he was talented enough to compile a 102.4 quarterback rating in 2012 and complete over 60 percent of his passes and throw for more than 3,200 yards in 2012 and 2013, so it’s obvious there is potential to tap into.

Redskins coach Jay Gruden, who opted to go with Cousins at quarterback all last season, shed some light on RG3’s fall off on Wednesday at the scouting combine.

“Well I think the injuries hurt him a little bit,” Gruden said. “My first year here, he got hurt against Jacksonville and that set him back a little bit. We keep talking about repetition and when you miss those key repetitions in those games and practices, that’s going to set you back. And all of a sudden he gets well and he’s put back in the starting lineup against Minnesota and plays pretty well, though we had our struggles at the end of the year, but I think the injury hurt him a little bit.”

In the meantime, Cousins played well enough to hold onto the job.

“I think it was more Kirk’s play than anything. Kirk’s development in the OTAs that we could just see him continue to progress when Kirk got the opportunities with the ones in practice. There was always a successful drive and I think people could see that. It was more about Kirk, not as much about Robert as people think.”

RamBill

Legend
Should the Los Angeles Rams look to draft a quarterback or take their chances with Robert Griffin III? Kelvin and Travis discuss the NFL combine and quarterback prospects.

Listen to RG3 Discussion

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports two teams have approached the Redskins about trading for Robert Griffin III.

Schefter declined to say which teams were interested. Washington has already decided to part ways with Griffin III but the Redskins would obviously prefer to trade him if they can. RG3 controls the process as he would have to sign off on a new deal. Cutting Griffin III is still the most likely scenario for the Redskins.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Feb 26 - 2:19 PM

Wonder if the Rams were one of these teams? doubt it but I wouldn't be surprised.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Would anyone be willing to give up a late round pick to make sure we get him assuming he restructures his contract and takes a major pay cut before the trade?

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I wish we knew what Snead and Fisher really think regarding Mannions role next year

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I wish we knew what Snead and Fisher really think regarding Mannions role next year
I don't think I'd expect them to say anything until either a trade is made, a FA is signed, or after the draft. These guys are pretty good at not tipping their hand.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think I'd expect them to say anything until either a trade is made, a FA is signed, or after the draft. These guys are pretty good at not tipping their hand.
Too good. These guys could fool you with the truth.

tonyl711

Starter
he is a diva, do you really think landing in the land of divas will cure him? IMO we dodged a bullet when we didnt draft him, let him go poison someone elses locker room.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

And Gabbert outplayed Keapernick, which is why I am confused about why some posters want him..........he lost his job to Blaine Gabbert. Now maybe Gabbert ends up being the next Tom Brady I dunno. I do know he isn't right now and he played better than Keapernick.

I don't know why a team would want Griffin, he can play in one system that we know of and nobody in the NFL runs that so why would they want him?

It's fun for me to see a move the Snyder made blow up in is ugly little asshole face. I love it!!!

RamBill

Legend
L.A. and its sports fans love redemption stories, which is why the Rams should sign Robert Griffin III

By Bill Plaschke

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-plaschke-rg3-20160228-column.html

In 1972, a failed and unemployed NFL quarterback came to Los Angeles for a fresh start.

Two seasons later, James Harris led the Rams to the NFC championship game.

In 1978, another failed and unemployed NFL quarterback came west for new life.

Five seasons later, Jim Plunkett helped the Raiders give Los Angeles its only Super Bowl championship.

Hollywood is all about revivals, sequels and second chances. Its sports landscape mirrors this penchant for forgiveness and forgetfulness. Bring us your underachievers, your misunderstood, your shamed, your shunned, and we will give them a stage and a chance to shine.

Shaquille O'Neal arrived here trailed by Orlando gossip that he was an immature oaf who couldn't win a championship. Lakers fans didn't listen. Lakers fans didn't care. He could entertain, so he was embraced and empowered and eventually paid off in triplicate.

Manny Ramirez was chased here from Boston with New Englanders screaming about his selfishness, glad to be rid of his shtick. Dodgers fans didn't listen. Dodgers fans didn't care. He came out swinging and smiling, and soon Dodger Stadium was dressed in Mannywood signs and dreadlock wigs. Although he later turned out to be a steroid-fueled fraud, Ramirez was generously allowed a briefly brilliant resurrection.

Unlike their brethren from more deeply rooted corners of the country, Los Angeles sports fans don't buy into stereotypes, don't listen to grudges, and don't judge newcomers until the curtains open.

Which pretty much makes this the perfect place for Robert Griffin III.

Like Plunkett, he's a failed former Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback. Like Harris, he will soon be an unemployed quarterback.

His star power, his star potential, and all this sweet symmetry should be too much for the returning Rams to resist. Not to mention, can you imagine bringing back a quarterback whose draft rights they once traded away for a bunch of picks whom they turned into impact players?

The Rams need a splash, they need a quarterback who can give them hope, and Griffin would be both.

The team from Washington with the terrible nickname has already declared that it will release Griffin before the NFL year begins on March 9, thus beginning the off-season's most celebrated free-agent chase.

RG Free. RG Spree. The rhymes with his RG3 nickname will be terrible. The cynicism will be rampant. He didn't play a down last season, he was active for only one game, and, because of his inability to figure out the NFL's pocket-passing game coupled with knee surgery that slowed his once-feared running, he's considered by many to be a bust.

But also consider this: He's still only 26. He still has a 90.6 career passer rating and 40 touchdowns and 23 interceptions. He still was NFL offensive rookie of the year in 2012 and, while he suffered a serious knee injury late in that season, he has had three full years of recovery.

He was discarded by two Washington head coaches, and he comes with a lot of baggage, but all of that will be met here with a lot of shrugs.

Griffin reportedly is a giant ego unwilling to accept blame for his mistakes? Not here, not for long. Few things surely can be more humbling for a quarterback than entering a team on a depth chart behind Case Keenum, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion.

Griffin reportedly basked in his status as one of Washington's biggest celebrities, bragging to teammates of his influence, using social media to promote himself apart from his team? Not here, not for long. He probably won't even be the biggest name on his Westside street, and as any Los Angeles athlete will attest, any attempt at social climbing among the world's biggest true celebrities becomes silly.

Griffin will fit in here because, well, he will fit in here. The reborn Rams offer the perfect environment for rediscovery, the perfect town for outrunning your past, and the perfectly desperate coach to make it all happen. The embattled Jeff Fisher, who has yet to break even in any of his four Rams seasons, needs to find a jolt, and while the brilliant Todd Gurley gives the Rams highlights, only a quarterback can give them wins.

Besides, let's face it, the Rams need to do something. They've been in town barely six weeks and already their buzz has been swallowed up by this town's many hungry sports dramas, from Kobe to Blake to Puig.

The Rams recently made what would have been huge news back in St. Louis when they released longtime local stars Chris Long, James Laurinaitis and Jared Cook. Out here, it was like, who . . . what?

Robert Griffin would give the Rams a who, and a what, a potentially reborn star on a quest for redemption in a town built on both.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/28/kaepernick-or-griffin-whos-better-at-this-point/

Kaepernick or Griffin: Who’s better at this point?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2016

zz1lztnhmtgymzq4otblmjy5zmeymti3oweyymrhndkxmw-e1456671030454.jpeg
AP

Both took the NFL by storm in 2012. Four years later, their careers are at a crossroads.

As Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III look for their second NFL stops, many are wondering which one is the better of the two.

A source with extensive knowledge of both players shared this assessment with PFT at the Scouting Combine:

Griffin lacks anticipation in this throwing and accuracy on his throws, and he can no longer run.

Kaepernick also lacks anticipation and accuracy, but he can still move.

Both will need a system that maximizes their talents and conceals their flaws. But if Griffin can’t run like he did before tearing an ACL in 2012 (the source shares PFT’s unofficial belief that the ligament tore against Baltimore during the 2012 regular season, not during the playoff game against Seattle), Griffin simply won’t be able to make it.

As soon as 10 days from now, both could have new teams. It’ll then be the job of their new coaching staffs to get the most out of them. Whether both can get back to where they were in 2012 remains to be seen.
------------
Kinda like asking electric chair or lethal injection?
------------

They are both equally poisonous. You need a coach good at the read option. You need a team open to it were it won’t take away from the scheme they now have in place. And they both fell out of favor in the system.
----------
I never expected long term success from either player. Their playing style is not conducive to the NFL. Poor accuracy and bad at reading a defense. Once the athleticism is gone, or in Kaps case the only thing he is good at, you can’t be an effective QB.
----------
Don’t discount motivation to prove others wrong. Both of these guys were killed in the media and by their teams. I bet one of them blows up unexpectedly. Watch
---------
Hard to say, but Griffin has gone more than a calendar year without an injury. You can’t say the same for Kap.

Griffin worked diligently last year after practice on all the plays that Cousins ran during games and in practice. So he worked extremely hard on becoming more adapt to the west coast system and being better as s drop back passer.
--------
If I were a Browns, Rams or Texans fan, I’d probably rather have Kaep. I feel for Griffin though. He looked like he was headed for stardom, but it’s obvious he hasn’t been the same since the injury.
---------
Both are flawed and have obvious negatives. Why gamble on a retread when you can take someone in the draft with higher potential. Might not work out either but probably have more potential long term upside.
----------
Griffin is the poster child for why any smart NFL team isn’t interested in gimmick QB’s. Athleticism is a great skill to have but if you can’t throw accurately, can’t anticipate and can’t read defenses it doesn’t mean much.

Give me a slow immobile QB with a head on his shoulders and an arm to make all the passes (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Montana, etc.) and you can keep all the Griffins, V.Young’s, Tavaris Jackson’s, Bridgewater’s, Tebow’s etc.).
-----------
Griffin seems to have lost his mobility yet continues to try…and he is insecure as a drop back qb. Kaepernick still has the escapability, arm strength and accuracy but gets an F for going through his progressions. If they each had a great o-line Kaepernick would be the better. I don’t think Griffin has really recovered from his injury.
----------
Since neither one is that good at reading defenses or have thrown as accurately as other NFL starting QB’s, and both appear to be head-cases, if RG Me can no longer scramble as well as he did before his injury, that would make Kaep slightly less bad.
----------
Is this is a serious question? I know 49er fans drunk the Kool-Aid and it became convenient to blame Kaepernick for the weather in San Francisco, but he’s the better player by a mile because he at least seems to understand where to go with the ball in the pocket. He’s just not consistently accurate there.

Griffin had his first 2 offensive coaching staffs hated him so much that they stopped teaching him, so he’s basically mentally behind the 8 ball in understanding how to play from the pocket. Also, the injuries have to be taken into account too. Until last year, Kaepernick never missed a start whereas Griffin has missed whole stretches of seasons since his rookie year.
----------
They will both perform better than expected. Both of those guys have UNDENIABLE Physical gifts that only need to be properly harnessed and utilized. Don’t blame players exclusively for the decline in their maturation process.

Not exactly like Washington is the model of QB grooming and success! Mike Shanahan or whoever is responsible for playing RG3 in that Seahawks game after he was clearly “injured” and not “just hurt” DEFINITELY should shoulder some of this blame.

Fast Forward……. the guy has had basically 2 years of Rehab/Conditioning/Film Study without being Hit. I’d be willing to bet he’s probably nearly as quick as he was when he entered the league. Which I remind you, he set the LEAGUE on FIRE after sustaining a ACL tear at Baylor. When he came back with that Clunky knee brace prematurely and was “fed to the wolves” behind that emaciated O-line what did anyone honestly expect?

The entire RG3 or Kap has to be in a “Zone Read/Option” Offense narrative is simply UNTRUE. Kap’s entire team disintegrated around him between Harbaugh’s dismissal and the flurry of retirements yet none of that seems to be taken in to account.

P.S. The Day of the “POCKET STATUE QB” is OVER. The modern day QB will be expected to have a “respectable” level of Athleticism and called upon to get out of the pocket if necessary/by design to extend plays.