Five potential fits for RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14756457/landing-spots-robert-griffin-iii-nfl

Last offseason, before the Washington Redskins named Kirk Cousins their starting quarterback, 35 NFL coaches and personnel evaluators graded projected starters for our annual Quarterback Tier Rankings survey. Robert Griffin III ranked fifth from the bottom at No. 28. Josh McCown, Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel and Geno Smith were the only projected starters listed below him.

Could the reality be as bad as the perception for a player who dazzled the NFL as a rookie during the 2012 season? The market will answer that question after the Redskins inevitably release Griffin in the coming weeks.

Griffin could benefit from a change of scenery, but many within the league believe that a new mindset is what he has needed the most. A personnel director said last offseason he thought Griffin was starting to show positive signs on that front.

"We have seen a little more humility out of him, and hopefully that translates to his preparation and his play," this director said. "He has to rethink and reframe how he plays."

Putting together a short list of "fits" for Griffin must account for the reality that NFL teams think Griffin has more name than game at this point. Some of the teams listed below might show no interest at all, but as the price for Griffin drops, upside can begin to outweigh risks.

Five interesting potential fits for RG III

i
1. Buffalo Bills: Tyrod Taylor finished his first season as the Bills' starter with a winning percentage, passer rating and Total QBR in line with the ones that will earn Cousins a huge raise from Washington. Taylor is not a free agent, however, and that means Buffalo can get another low-cost year from him before deciding how to proceed.

Bringing in Griffin as insurance and/or to push Taylor for the starting job could make sense for the Bills. Backup EJ Manuel's career appears to have run its course in Buffalo. His expected departure would open a spot for Griffin to compete with Taylor, whose deal voids after the 2016 season. Griffin would fit better in coordinator Greg Roman's offense than he would in most other systems, making Buffalo one of the few natural scheme fits.

i
2. Dallas Cowboys: The assumption here is that Dallas will not want to use the fourth overall choice in the 2016 draft on a quarterback. Griffin could come cheap and without risk. The Cowboys would be adding a young insurance policy for Tony Romo without undermining him. Griffin would have a reasonable chance to play in 2016, given Romo's combination of age and recent injuries, but he would come to Dallas without starting expectations. If all went well, Griffin could get both time to assimilate and opportunities to play in an offense featuring talented linemen and receiving weapons.

i
3. Los Angeles Rams: On paper, the Rams have the defense and running game to support the kind of low-volume passing attack to help a quarterback survive. On the field, those things were insufficient for the Rams to win consistently with Nick Foles as their starting quarterback in 2015. The Rams are heading into the offseason with Foles and Case Keenumoperating under a first-time NFL playcaller in Rob Boras. They didn't like Griffin enough to draft him second overall in 2012. There is less to like about Griffin now, but if the price were right, the Rams could at least consider buying another raffle ticket at the position.

i
4. Denver Broncos: Coach Gary Kubiak's offensive design and commitment to the running game can create the kind of inviting play-action throwing lanes Griffin used effectively during his rookie season. Peyton Manning's decline and expected retirement could put pressure on Denver to re-sign Brock Osweiler. The Broncos also seem to like having 2015 seventh-rounder Trevor Siemian in their program. But the bottom line in Denver is that the quarterback position is unsettled for the first time since 2011. The Broncos have both the scheme and strong organizational structure to make them a fit for Griffin.

Some thought Griffin wielded too much influence in Washington before the Redskins benched him. Griffin will not enjoy the same power in his next stop, but it wouldn't be an option in Denver anyway. Kubiak came to Denver with a reputation among other coaches for telling his quarterbacks how they were going to do things -- on his terms, not theirs. The way he dictated terms to Manning this season showed that reputation was well-earned.

i
5. Kansas City Chiefs: Coach Andy Reid has signed quite a few mobile quarterbacks over the years, including current starter Alex Smith. He also has implemented college spread concepts after hiring former Minnesota Vikings coach Brad Childress to research them. Those concepts could suit Griffin.

The stability and professionalism Reid and Smith bring to their jobs also could benefit Griffin as he attempts to remake himself. He has not had veteran quarterback mentors in the past. Smith is the clear starter, so playing time could be elusive for Griffin, but with Chiefs backup Chase Daniel eligible for free agency, there could be an opening.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
i
3. Los Angeles Rams: On paper, the Rams have the defense and running game to support the kind of low-volume passing attack to help a quarterback survive. On the field, those things were insufficient for the Rams to win consistently with Nick Foles as their starting quarterback in 2015. The Rams are heading into the offseason with Foles and Case Keenumoperating under a first-time NFL playcaller in Rob Boras. They didn't like Griffin enough to draft him second overall in 2012. There is less to like about Griffin now, but if the price were right, the Rams could at least consider buying another raffle ticket at the position.
I, for one, sure as hell hope not!!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
i
3. Los Angeles Rams: On paper, the Rams have the defense and running game to support the kind of low-volume passing attack to help a quarterback survive. On the field, those things were insufficient for the Rams to win consistently with Nick Foles as their starting quarterback in 2015. The Rams are heading into the offseason with Foles and Case Keenum operating under a first-time NFL play caller in Rob Boras. They didn't like Griffin enough to draft him second overall in 2012. There is less to like about Griffin now...

This sums it up for me...

A55VA6

Legend
I'd rather watch Foles/Keenum/Mannion/Random than even have RG3 on the roster. The guy is arrogant and fucking awful. Injury prone too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm going to guess RG3 has taken some humble pills over his time in the NFL. I'd certainly kick the tires.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Griffin passes exit physical, paving way for release
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...l-paving-way-for-release?campaign=Twitter_atn

Robert Griffin III is all but done in Washington. You know it. I know it. We all know it. The final hurdle for the quarterback's imminent release was passing his exit physical with the Redskins, which Griffin accomplished without issue, per NFL Media's Albert Breer.

Now it's simply a matter of when, not if, Griffin is cut free. But with passer Kirk Cousins yet to be re-signed, Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan said last month that Washington might wait until the new league year launches on March 9 to cut RGIII loose.

"The thing that's good about where we are right now is, we have until March 9," McCloughan said, per The Washington Post. "That's why I want to sit with the coaches -- and not just the coordinators, position coaches; everybody -- and get a feel for it, because (Griffin) is a good football player, he's a really good person, and he's under contract. And that's where we are right now."

McCloughan doesn't want to be left empty-handed, but if Washington re-signs Cousins sooner rather than later, look for the 'Skins to quickly part ways with Griffin, whose $16.155 million option becomes fully guaranteed March 9.

It's been an awkward and depressing tumble from grace for Griffin, who didn't take a snap in 2015. By all accounts, though, he handled his demotion with poise and still possesses enough unusual athleticism and potential to draw interest on the open market. While Dallas has been whispered about as a landing spot, the Cowboys might not be the only club willing to take a shot on repairing Griffin's career. Get ready for an interesting offseason ahead.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7406/robert-griffin-iii
Robert Griffin III passed his exit physical.

That was the only hurdle in the way of the Redskins cutting him. Washington still needs to lock up Kirk Cousins but RG3 is as good as gone. The Browns, Rams and Texans are a few teams that could be in the market for a quarterback, though we're guessing Griffin III will have to settle for a backup job. Feb 12 - 2:00 PM

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd have to guess that if nothing else it is just a matter of needing a fresh start somewhere else. I just don't see him staying so he could possibly get a shot if Cousins goes down. I'm guessing he is going to want at least a chance to compete for starting snaps.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - @flv Do you really think there won't be a half dozen teams out there willing to pay RG3 far more than $2 Mil?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'd generally never rule out a player's current team as a possibility. I suppose in this case, it would depend on how much bad blood RG3 felt over his situation. If he is going to go anywhere for a low budget deal, I would suspect that the team and his situation would weigh heavily. Having an actual opportunity to compete for a starting gig should (I would think) make a bigger difference than money at this point in his career.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Fair enough. What do you think the chances are though that a team offers an incentive laden deal AND a realistic offer for him to compete for the starting gig? WA obviously is not going to keep him at his current contract. When that happens, it seems most QBs already have their eyes down the road. If a team feels they have a fit for RG3's skill set, I can easily see them offering near or at low end starting salary plus incentives for snap counts, etc. If RG believes in himself, why wouldn't you take that knowing that if you took starting snaps, your salary would be WAY bigger the following year and beyond?

Seems to me the kid could take a $2-3 million in guaranteed salary and never see the field, or he could pick up a deal that parlays his low end contract now and makes him potentially $100 million on his next deal. IMO - if he takes the obvious back-up QB position, we or any other team didn't want him anyway.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he is smart he will choose Buffalo. Roman is a great OC for him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dallas.

Bank on it.