Five potential fits for RGIII

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Dallas.Bank on it.

Lets hope so. I really think that if a decent trade up can be made it might be made here. Not that I desire it. But if the Rams want the 2nd best QB whoever the Browns leave on the board this is where Fisher will have to be @ #4.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Lets hope so. I really think that if a decent trade up can be made it might be made here. Not that I desire it. But if the Rams want the 2nd best QB whoever the Browns leave on the board this is where Fisher will have to be @ #4.

Here's my prediction; Titans trade down with... Cleveland!

Browns tied of sloppy seconds and get their guy.

The Titans trade down again, with someone for QB2 (Wentz). I hope it's the Rams.

Book mark it. :sneaky:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I get what you are saying and you may very well be right.

But just as you used the $2 million figure as a generic - I used the snap count stat as the same. Being that RG3 is a former #2 overall and NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year (hauntingly familiar) I am going to guess that there are more than one or two teams considering him as a real option to be their starter. I mean for Pete's sake, look at the QBs that played in the Probowl. Even though most of the original choices opted out, that was the next best of last year's starters? I wouldn't be the least surprised if someone offered a step up type contract that paid a decent amount this season and if certain benchmarks are met, moves him up to starter salary.

It may make sense for RG3 to sign a deal where he can opt out after one season - but does that help the team he is signing to if they think he could possibly be a real franchise QB? We're seeing some more creative contracts these days and I just have to guess that the QB position with it's heavy volatility between value and wasted cap space is going to be a key area where we see more of this creativity.

I'm completely guessing of course.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
If I were Snisher
Being Manziel is no longer an option, I would seriously consider RGMe or...

Sam Bradford?

I know which one I would choose ( hehe)

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
If I were Snisher
Being Manziel is no longer an option, I would seriously consider RGMe or...

Sam Bradford?

I know which one I would choose ( hehe)
Sam is, IMO, without question, the most talented FA QB available. I wish we'd make that move.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
RGIII has accounted for 48 Td in 35 starts, completed 64% of his passes, 7.6 ypa and a qbr of almost 91 for his career.
The idea that he can't command a pretty good dollar is crazy.
I'm not advocating signing him, but if we did I think we have the right coach for reeling head case players in

RamBill

Legend
Rams’ pursuit of RGIII would make for a great story
Posted by Mike Florio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/14/rams-pursuit-of-rgiii-would-make-for-a-great-story/

The one thing I root for when it comes to the NFL is a great story. And while the prospect of Magic Johnson pulling a rabbit from his hat by luring Peyton Manning to L.A. would generate plenty of interest, there’s another quarterback who’s migration to California would be nearly as compelling.

Four years ago, the Rams picked up three first-round picks and a second-round pick in exchange for the privilege of drafting quarterback Robert Griffin III. And the Rams repeatedly reminded Washington of the move, from selecting the players obtained through the trade as captains for a game against Griffin’s team to using the picks as a draft-room rallying cry.

“It made too much sense for us to go ahead and recognize the guys that probably wouldn’t be here had it not been for the trade,” Fisher said in December 2014, explaining his coin-toss emissaries following a game against Washington. “We want to do that before the game. It was a memory that will last them for a lifetime. It was a good idea. I’ve sent other people out for different reasons as well.”

Now that Griffin’s time in Washington is coming to an end (unless they want to pay him more than $16 million fully guaranteed for 2016), the prospect looms of the Rams completing the grift by signing Griffin.

Some will say Griffin is now irrelevant, especially after a season spent in bubble wrap, following a preseason game in which the Lions nearly burst him. But Washington coach Jay Gruden decided that Kirk Cousins fits the offense better than Griffin, and once that decision was made there was no reason to risk owing Griffin that $16 million salary for 2016, since last year it was guaranteed only for injury.

The Rams would need to put Griffin through the paces of a full-blown workout before signing him, to ensure he still can move and cut and throw. But it’s a low bar to surpass the skill sets of Nick Foles and Case Keenum, and if no one else is offering Griffin starter money, it could be easy to get Griffin.

Yes, the Cowboys may come calling for Griffin, offering him a chance to serve as Tony Romo’s understudy and to be groomed as his successor. But the financial package would reflect that status. So if Griffin wants to maximize his earnings and play now, why not be interested in playing in L.A.?

The mere fact that it would be the perfect bow on one of the worst trades since the Herschel Walker debacle makes it worth trying.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Dallas.

Bank on it.
This makes sense to me.
It gives Dallas a young back up to work with and possibly start when Romo is done. He certainly has more potential than any other back up they currently have.
One more team drafting before us with the qb position stabilized would be welcome.

Now if Philly would sign Bradford to a deal, I'm suddenly more comfortable with staying at 15 and taking the best QB that falls to us.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I see him trying to go somewhere he can start. If he cannot find a suitor for that, it makes sense for him to go to Dallas. NO WAY he stays in Washington. If you live in the DC area as I do, you know just how broken the relationship is with he and the fans and local media. Its bad. I honestly would not mind if the Rams kicked the tires on RGIII.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
Dallas.

Bank on it.
More than likely. I'd rather have him than Johnny Manzidiot, although I'm not a fan. I don't want us to get a QB at #4. He's not going to help us next season. I hope we trade down and pick up a few extra picks.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
More than likely. I'd rather have him than Johnny Manzidiot, although I'm not a fan. I don't want us to get a QB at #4. He's not going to help us next season. I hope we trade down and pick up a few extra picks.
I'd be very surprised if Dallas didn't trade down.
Possibly to 15.

RamBill

Legend
Could the Rams be a perfect fit for RG3?
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/26849/could-rams-be-a-fit-for-rg3

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Undoubtedly, the Los Angeles Rams will be connected to just about any quarterback with a pulse this offseason. Such is life when your current depth chart consists of Case Keenum, Nick Foles and Sean Mannion.

By now, you've heard the Peyton Manning rumors for as unlikely as they might be, the Johnny Manziel whispers for as even more unlikely as they might be, and it's safe to say that will only continue until the Rams add at least one quarterback either via free agency or the NFL draft.

With that in mind, ESPN's Mike Sando examined five potential landing spots for Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III. Checking in at No. 3 on that list? You guessed it, the Rams.

Obviously, there'd be a certain symmetry in the Rams adding Griffin now. They were the team that received a boatload of draft picks from the Redskins in 2012 so Washington could use the No. 2 overall pick on Griffin. After RG3 led Washington to the playoffs in a dynamic rookie season, it was all downhill after. And now it's likely that the team will release Griffin assuming it can't find a trade partner.

From a Rams perspective, it's fair to wonder whether Griffin would be an upgrade over what they currently have. But there could be some intriguing things about him that would draw the Rams' interest.

The Rams have made it clear they want to be a run-centric offense with a passing game that can complement with play action passes and deep shots. When coach Jeff Fisher switched from Foles to Keenum last year, he also mentioned the desire to have a more mobile option who could extend plays. Those would seem to be things that would fit Griffin's skill set.

Of course, Griffin comes with his share of flaws as well or else we wouldn't even be discussing his possible availability. Only time will tell how the Rams figure out their quarterback conundrum but for now we can throw one more name into the hat.

RamBill

Legend
Unwise For RG3 to Seek A Starting Position Right Away?

RG3 isn’t expected to be back in Washington for the 2016 season and while he wants to find another starting job, the teams that need him to start just aren’t good. Brian Westbrook advises him to go somewhere to learn. Would Dallas or Arizona be places where he can watch and learn? For Florio the Rams are the team that most intrigues him for RG3.

Watch RG3 Discussion

RamBill

Legend
Fred Roggin and Amy talked about who the Rams might pick up as their QB next season. Case Keenum appers to be just a guy. Roggin would consider taking a chance on RG3. The Rams have a honeymoon period in LA for a few years, but they have to get the QB position fixed.

Listen to Roggin Talk Rams QB's

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams have a honeymoon period in LA for a few years
Maybe for fans in the area. But for us displaced fans, your new digs don't give you a grace period at all.
4 winning seasons in 26 years and I'm supposed to be even MORE patient?

Get to work.

RamBill

Legend
Caplan: RG3 Doesn’t Fit the Scheme in LA

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan discusses whether Los Angeles makes sense to be the next NFL home for Robert Griffin III. (2:26)

Watch Caplan Talk RG3