Fitting Tavon into the run heavy offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

lockdnram21

Legend
Agree.
I just get excited about the possibility of TA spreading defenses on the outside.
The further down field we get him the ball, the less defenders there are to try and catch that rabbit.
Yea but he has to get off of press coverage or beat a zone. Don't think he can do either at this point. My point is why can't Tavon be the problem and not the coaches. Hell they did fine getting Britt, Quick, and Bailey the ball. Hell Givens made more plays in th e passing game t hen TA. At some point you gotta look at the player. This is truly a make or break year for TA to show something just like it was for Quick last year. So we shall see but don't think he will improve to be the player people think he will be. To me his ceiling is 30 catches 400 yards and 3 tds as a wr. I think he should and will be used more as a rb. Also I didn't see a problem with him running up the middle. With a better line he would have broke a couple of those runs long. I just think they should mix it up a little and let him run outside more

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Yea but he has to get off of press coverage or beat a zone. Don't think he can do either at this point. My point is why can't Tavon be the problem and not the coaches. Hell they did fine getting Britt, Quick, and Bailey the ball. Hell Givens made more plays in th e passing game t hen TA. At some point you gotta look at the player. This is truly a make or break year for TA to show something just like it was for Quick last year. So we shall see but don't think he will improve to be the player people think he will be. To me his ceiling is 30 catches 400 yards and 3 tds as a wr. I think he should and will be used more as a rb. Also I didn't see a problem with him running up the middle. With a better line he would have broke a couple of those runs long. I just think they should mix it up a little and let him run outside more
We're in complete agreement as far as TA not being the coaches fault for his slow development. That falls completely on TA.
I still think he can be an outside threat if he continues to work hard.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I don't believe the fault lies completely with Tavon or the coaching staff. IMO, it's a combination of Tavon, the coaching staff, and the QBs.

As far as his running the football, I cannot understand why they never spread the field and hand it off to him like they did in college.

Those joke of a defenses. If he would have been in sec or even division that Florida Sr is in you would be Tavon who. If you would have put him in sec dude would have been 5th round pick at best

LOL. Ya buddy, you go with that. This is a snipet from an article written half way through the 2012 season.

"Through five weeks, SEC defenses have already surrendered 50-plus points four times, one more than all of last season. It's only happened on average 3.4 times over the past 10 seasons. In Saturday's 52 games, 51 teams scored at least 30 points. 13 teams from nine different conferences allowed 30 points … and won. The current pace of 30.5 points averaged per team in FBS would surpass the record by almost three points."

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205705615http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205705615

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Those joke of a defenses. If he would have been in sec or even division that Florida Sr is in you would be Tavon who. If you would have put him in sec dude would have been 5th round pick at best

so I wonder when everyone who evaluated him before the draft from NFL team scouting evaluators to people like mayock had him as a top 15 or top 10 talent..... I wonder if they took into account his production at his level of competition ? Or if he really would have been a fifth round pick? I'm personally surprised that they don't already? I wonder, does that mean Kevin White was a 3rd rounder at best? Hummmmm.... now ya got me wondering. .....

Go Rams.......... ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
How they are able to utilize Tavon Austin has more to do with Tavon Austin, than it does with the scheme or design of the offense.
I agree so much with this...I had to put it here and not just "like" it...I saw them try to feed him the ball over and over his rookie year...drive killer...

This isn't a run heavy offense. It wasn't a run heavy offense with 2nd and 3rd string QB's last year.
This kills me too Les...You'd think we're going 60-40 runs....I doubt we run 55% of the time...this is 2015

he just doesn't look like he is sure where he is supposed to go.
Spanish...still...he...speaketh slow...I get that feeling too...always running in and out....I think he even plays less this year...
I don't think its by coincindence, that four different QBs in the past two years, have been unable to get him involved in the passing game.
Bradford did look for him...not sure how many drops he had, but he has NEVER been used like that again...

With an actual decent starting level QB in Bradford he had 2/3 of his catches for the entire season through those 7 games his rookie year playing with Bradford before he got hurt.
again, how many drops? How many drives stalled because we were forcing him the ball? Still think his best use is as a decoy...

Imo Tavon was overdrafted because he put up #s in the weak big 12 conference. He wouldn't have put those #s up in sec Pac-12.
Fixed that for you....And he was seriously over-drafted...I still believe you don't take slot wr's in the 1st round...When did Phillip Dorsett go? Watch what Amari Cooper turns into...A slot wr...

I wonder, does that mean Kevin White was a 3rd rounder at best?
Kevin White is a beast....

To those of you saying it's TA's fault or "on him" are you suggesting he hasn't given 100%? To the best of my knowlege his work ethic was unquestioned at WVU. I'm a casual Rams fan (no offense) so unless there is something published I'm probably not aware of it.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
If Foles idea of a WR being open is size of a postage stamp not a IMax screen things will work out.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
To those of you saying it's TA's fault or "on him" are you suggesting he hasn't given 100%? To the best of my knowlege his work ethic was unquestioned at WVU. I'm a casual Rams fan (no offense) so unless there is something published I'm probably not aware of it.
I won't speak for anyone else, I have no reason to question his work ethic. He shows up every day, works hard at practice. I just think the issue is he hasn't learned what it takes from the mental side of the game at this level. He has always been able to get by on pure athleticism. And that isn't enough anymore. He is still as dangerous as ever with the ball in his hand in the open field. But it's on him to find a way to make himself more available and gain the trust of the QB.

And by trust, I mean both that he will be where he is suppose to be, when he is supposed to be there, and that he will catch the ball when they throw it to him. What I have seen throughout two training camps, is hestiation on his part when diagnosing coverages, therefore, not always being where he is supposed to be.

One glaring example for me, is when they ask him to run an option route. Like the "arrow" route. This is the same route that Amendola made a living on here. Austin just doesn't run it very well. Last year for example, someone like T.J. Moe continually gets open, and catches the ball in tight spaces, running the exact same route. But when they try to run Austin, he either gets caught up in the traffic, or doesn't get the proper depth on the route. This is what I guess I am trying to say when it comes to "figuring out the mental part of the position.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Kevin White is a beast....[/QUOTE]

Yeah sorry the whole thing was supposed to be in blue font.

Dorset went 1st round #29 overall. I am talked out about this subject. ...but I sure hope your wrong.....;) have a good weekend guys..... ;)

Go Rams........ ;)

I won't speak for anyone else, I have no reason to question his work ethic. He shows up every day, works hard at practice. I just think the issue is he hasn't learned what it takes from the mental side of the game at this level. He has always been able to get by on pure athleticism. And that isn't enough anymore. He is still as dangerous as ever with the ball in his hand in the open field. But it's on him to find a way to make himself more available and gain the trust of the QB.

And by trust, I mean both that he will be where he is suppose to be, when he is supposed to be there, and that he will catch the ball when they throw it to him. What I have seen throughout two training camps, is hestiation on his part when diagnosing coverages, therefore, not always being where he is supposed to be.

One glaring example for me, is when they ask him to run an option route. Like the "arrow" route. This is the same route that Amendola made a living on here. Austin just doesn't run it very well. Last year for example, someone like T.J. Moe continually gets open, and catches the ball in tight spaces, running the exact same route. But when they try to run Austin, he either gets caught up in the traffic, or doesn't get the proper depth on the route. This is what I guess I am trying to say when it comes to "figuring out the mental part of the position.

Well, read what you said and went-a-lookin on the ole internet...found this gem http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/18/4238742/2013-nfl-draft-tavon-austin-cordarrelle-patterson-wonderlic-scores. I'm still a fan, Once a Mountaineer Always a Mountaineer, he is what he is. Sounds like your coaches better find a way to put him in a position where athletic skill is enough.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It's not as sexy to argue this nor does it really invite a lot of debate but everyone's pretty much right. It's not just one thing - most likely - with Tavon.

1) He doesn't understand the mental aspects of the game as well as he can yet. (If it's not a screen, a fly, a crossing route or post, he doesn't know how to run the intricacies of the routes yet).

2) He was not used as well as he could have been (just look at the incorporation of the Jet Sweep last year, it should have been in the playbook from day one).

Well, I think you can argue which is a greater hinderance right now and I suspect that CoachO is right there. We may have reached a ceiling in how much we can "use him right" with some of the changes we made last year (Jet Sweeps, decoy, reverses, screens, bunch sets) and now what really matters is him becoming a MUCH better route runner... and that's pretty much on him.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Last year for example, someone like T.J. Moe continually gets open, and catches the ball in tight spaces, running the exact same route.

Any idea why T.J. Moe hasn't gotten another look? Are WRs just banished from the NFL if they can't make the Rams roster?

If he's ignorant, teach him. If he's too dumb to pick it up, either figure out how to use him without making him think too much or get rid of him. Or, I guess there is another option and that is to accept who he is and what he can contribute. I for one think he's an asset for you guys. Something else occurs to me as I type this and that is I definitely remember Holgs talking about how he wanted our offense to play fast, to not have to think too much...maybe that is why he was more successful for us??

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I realize the OP could have been more artfully worded, but what I was really trying to discuss was how a skillset like TAs can be best utilized in a power running O as opposed to blasting TA for failing to live up.

I know TA still hasn't played his best football yet - but it's a new year.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any idea why T.J. Moe hasn't gotten another look? Are WRs just banished from the NFL if they can't make the Rams roster?

I think I remember hearing there was an attitude there. If that is the case - he's not talented enough to have an attitude and be worth it.

RamWoodie

Legend
I realize the OP could have been more artfully worded, but what I was really trying to discuss was how a skillset like TAs can be best utilized in a power running O as opposed to blasting TA for failing to live up.

I know TA still hasn't played his best football yet - but it's a new year.
TA was coming along nicely as the year ended, and it seemed the Rams were really understanding how to deploy him in the offense. TA has the ability to do many things. When he was drafted I thought he was a gadget player, but I was wrong, he's a versatile and very skilled player.

As for how the Rams use him, there will be many ways to use him...let's wait and see what the offense looks like because it's definitely going to be different.

FrankenRam

Starter
I'm expecting a Pro bowl season as a punt returner from TA. I have no expectations outside of that. Most disappointing player in the Fisher/Snead era so far. No blue font.

Disappointing...yes. Most disappointing.....IMO, that's Pead.

I can understand your perspective given where TA was drafted and what we gave up to get him. But at least he's done something and showed potential for more. But Pead....nada. Oh wait.....he's a gunner on ST. :rolleyes:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
TA is an exciting talent. He can score from anywhere on the field. I love the way he can just literally outrun defenders to the outside and pick up 7 or 8 yards when it looked like it coulda been no gain. And he's very dangerous returner.

But with all that said, I feel it was a mistake to trade up for him. His skill set does not fit in with a Jeff Fisher type team. Sure, they need quickness to offset the power and they need a quality returner. But the cost was too much. Guys like that coulda been found a round in later rounds.

When its all said and done I believe Tavon will be another part of the offense, but not a featured one. And not one that justifies moving up the 8th round to get him. They woulda done better to stand pat and pick a good offensive lineman or defensive player.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Ummm...Tavon Austin played an LSU team that had Morris Claiborne, Tharold Simon, Tyrann Mathieu, Eric Reid, Brandon Taylor, and Ron Brooks in their secondary. That's six NFL players in the defensive backfield alone. He burnt Claiborne like toast in that game as well. Claiborne was a top six pick in 2012, as you may recall. Simon starts for the Hags. Mathieu and Reid start for the Cardinals and Whiners respectively. Taylor was a third round pick. Brooks started two games for the Buffalo Bills in his rookie year.

They murdered Clemson in the Orange Bowl. Clemson had Coty Sensabaugh and Bashaud Breeland. Both of them are starters in the NFL. They played Calvin Pryor, Kenny Vaccaro, Dwayne Gratz, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Kayvon Webster, Duron Harmon, Shamarko Thomas, Jonathan Meeks, Marcus Cooper, Jason Verrett, Justin Gilbert, Dexter McDougle, Demetri Goodson, and Ahmad Dixon.

Those are just the guys who were drafted. So don't give me that "Tavon would've been a fifth round pick at best." You're smarter than that, man.

That's six first round picks, man. Don't give me that.