Fitting Tavon into the run heavy offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
you seem to think that with just speed, he's automatically open...on like every down...I've seen nickle backs give him problems...the only time Tavon looks comfortable is in shirts & shorts...he looks okay when there are just drills with no pressure in pads...he disappears when there could be a safety around & the slightest possibility of some contact exists...

Not at all. I just believe that he should be used far more outside vs. in the slot ala DeSean Jackson to take advantage of his jets and simplify some of his reads. That doesn't mean that will make him automatically open or that he shouldn't be placed in motion or anything else.

Last edited:

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
could fear be a reason he's not where he's supposed to be?

It could. But I think confusion is more likely. The reason I say so is his willingness to take on hits as a ball carrier - especially as a punt returner. It really doesn't look like a case of the jitters to me.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I'm ready to say, after everything is said and done, IF Tavon doesn't break out THIS YEAR, he's not long for the Rams!

I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure that punt return talent like his should be kicked to the curb...Any help he adds as a receiver/RB would be the cherry on top...I guess the point could be made that you can't take up a roster space for a returner, but I would then argue that he is every bit as important as a guy who is only a STer..(Bates, etc) ...But, what the hell do I know ??? Most times, very little...(A little self deprecation can be good for the soul)...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It could. But I think confusion is more likely. The reason I say so is his willingness to take on hits as a ball carrier - especially as a punt returner. It really doesn't look like a case of the jitters to me.
I'm not sure I can agree 100% with this.

I can recall many times when he ran sideways on returns and ended up running for what seemed like 40 yerads, only to gain 10?

He's small in stature, it makes sense to me he'd avoid contact as much as possible. Very few small NFL player seek contact and, when they do, they usually end up on the injured list (see Amendola).

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I'm not sure I can agree 100% with this.

I can recall many times when he ran sideways on returns and ended up running for what seemed like 40 yerads, only to gain 10?

He's small in stature, it makes sense to me he'd avoid contact as much as possible. Very few small NFL player seek contact and, when they do, they usually end up on the injured list (see Amendola).

There is a difference between seeking contact and not being afraid of it.

Punt retuners who are afraid find themselves calling for a fair catch when they don't need to - TA is more the opposite. The east west stuff is him trying to make a play - often when there isn't one - not trying to avoid taking a hit.

And of course you want to avoid being hit if you can - but that's different than altering your assignment - even subconsciously- to do so.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Not at all. I just believe that he should be used far more outside vs. in the slot ala DeSean Jackson to take advantage of his jets and simplify some of his reads. That doesn't mean that will make him automatically open or that he shouldn't be placed in motion or anything else.
While I competely understand your thought process here, I don't think its a simple as you are trying to make it seem.

Regardless of where they line him up, it is still all predicated on the types of coverages teams will employ vs. the Rams receivers, and more specifically Austin. In your video highlights of D. Jackson, I commented about the amount of MAN coverage he went against, as opposed to the overwheming amount of zone that the Rams see on a regular basis.

I just don't see teams giving him many single coverage opportunities, regardless if he is lined up outside or not. They are likely to roll coverage to his side, be it with underneath coverage in the form of short zones, or deep safety help with the CB.

He is going to have to be much more precise in his route running, especially if he is lined up outside, improve his technique against press coverage.