Fishers performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Selassie I said:
Fisher is going to continue to stay on his course. He's not going to change his game plan because of some pitfalls along the way. Fish is a leader with a plan. As much as I'd like to see an immediate turnaround in the Ram Franchise,,, rebuilds of this magnitude take some time. I feel confident that our beloved team is in the right hands... it hasn't been for a very long time... but it is now.

I understand the lack of trust that many feel who have almost religiously followed this team. We HAVE been freaked over by a number of past decision makers... and it's easy to think "here we go again". The past is clouding your judgment.

Fish and Co. will make us proud. Count on it, but be realistic when the normal growing pains happen. A complete turnaround of a franchise that was as freaking low as we were cannot happen in just a year and a half.

Agree 100%. Particularly when it is done the way the team is doing it. No team has had the roster turnover the Rams have and for the most part they are not bringing in vets....thus the youngest team in the league.

The Rams history is littered with two year experiments. While I have some concerns with the coaching this year on both sides of the ball I think it would be a massive mistake to make a change two years into a overhaul like this one.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
CoachO said:
I think many of us are under estimating the impact of being the "youngest team in the league" actually is.

It's one thing to be young in some positions, and we have all seen young PLAYERS succeed in certain situations. But when there is such a influx of inexperience across the board, as is the case on this team (28 players in their 1st or 2nd year), it will have a major impact on just how much you can throw at them.

I also think that Fisher (and staff) are coaching this team accordingly. We want guys like McLeod and even Jenkins to come in here an play like seasoned veterans, just because they are being counted on as key starters. The fact remains, they are still YOUNG players and are going to make mistakes.

Someone like Chris Givens, who burst on the scene last year, with a cluster of "big plays" was counted on to be a "seasoned veteran" and be that "go to guy" on a unit that is woefully inexperienced. Do you think its by coincidence that Austin Pettis is actually the most consistent WR on the roster? Notice, I didn't say the BEST, I said most consistent.

The continued mistakes on Special Teams, specifically the return units, are being made by ROOKIES, who, more often than not, are now being asked to perform a role many of them never were asked to perform while being the best players on their college teams. I am in no way trying to excuse it, merely trying to explain some of the things I have seen thru 5 games.

This is a much more talented team than it has been in years, but with that talent will continue to come mistakes from the youth and inexperience. I anticipate it will be much improved as the season progresses, but the growing pains are just a fact we are all going to have to live thru.
If this is the case, than the Rams organization did a lousy job setting my expectations over the offseason, because I did not expect to see so many penalties, a west coast offense, and such a porous D. I'm not doubting your insights, just pointing out where I think the issues lie given your comment.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Stranger said:
CoachO said:
I think many of us are under estimating the impact of being the "youngest team in the league" actually is.

It's one thing to be young in some positions, and we have all seen young PLAYERS succeed in certain situations. But when there is such a influx of inexperience across the board, as is the case on this team (28 players in their 1st or 2nd year), it will have a major impact on just how much you can throw at them.

I also think that Fisher (and staff) are coaching this team accordingly. We want guys like McLeod and even Jenkins to come in here an play like seasoned veterans, just because they are being counted on as key starters. The fact remains, they are still YOUNG players and are going to make mistakes.

Someone like Chris Givens, who burst on the scene last year, with a cluster of "big plays" was counted on to be a "seasoned veteran" and be that "go to guy" on a unit that is woefully inexperienced. Do you think its by coincidence that Austin Pettis is actually the most consistent WR on the roster? Notice, I didn't say the BEST, I said most consistent.

The continued mistakes on Special Teams, specifically the return units, are being made by ROOKIES, who, more often than not, are now being asked to perform a role many of them never were asked to perform while being the best players on their college teams. I am in no way trying to excuse it, merely trying to explain some of the things I have seen thru 5 games.

This is a much more talented team than it has been in years, but with that talent will continue to come mistakes from the youth and inexperience. I anticipate it will be much improved as the season progresses, but the growing pains are just a fact we are all going to have to live thru.
If this is the case, than the Rams organization did a lousy job setting my expectations over the offseason, because I did not expect to see so many penalties, a west coast offense, and such a porous D. I'm not doubting your insights, just pointing out where I think the issues lie given your comment.
So should the Rams have said "hey we're GONNA be good someday"? We built our own expectations beyond realistic bounds ,some BTW didn't , so it's not the Rams fault if I'm disgruntled over irrational exuberance.

I completely agree with Coach O except I will say this, the repeated mistakes on special teams are not excusable, ST isn't so hard to learn ,it's not rocket surgery , it's mostly attitude and IMA say some are in need of adjustment.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

So should the Rams have said "hey we're GONNA be good someday"? We built our own expectations beyond realistic bounds ,some BTW didn't , so it's not the Rams fault if I'm disgruntled over irrational exuberance.

I completely agree with Coach O except I will say this, the repeated mistakes on special teams are not excusable, ST isn't so hard to learn ,it's not rocket surgery , it's mostly attitude and IMA say some are in need of adjustment.

Let me make this clear. I am NOT excusing it one bit. I also think that Fassel gets way too cute with all the motion, and creative formations on PUNT COVERAGE units.

This is the NFL, and I don't really see him "fooling" anyone with all the "trickery". I go back to the "KISS" theory. Keep It Simple Stupid as the best way to eliminate a lot of the stuff that is going on here.

As far as the penalties, especially on he return units, I think the youth and inexperience is a direct correlation to the types of penalties that are being called. They have young "hungry" players, aggressive types (Armstrong, Bates, McGee) none of whom have a reputation for being the sharpest tools in the shed. They are all "trying to make a play" without using a whole lot of judgment.

Take the Personal Foul Penalty on McGee on the fair catch for example. The broadcasters, Tasker in particular wanted to say that as a gunner, McGee doesn't necessarily "see" the fair catch signal. That his teammates need to yell it out. I call BS on that. If he truly believed that there was no fair catch, are you telling me that is how he would have tried to "tackle" the return guy? By running by him, and lowering a shoulder into him?

Please!!!!! That was nothing more than a cheap shot, and a DUMB PLAY. No way to sugar coat that.

I think in the not too distant future, they are going to be forced to put VETERAN players, (starters) on these ST units. Guys like Witherspoon, Dunbar, Sims, etc. At least until they can get this under control.

nighttrain

Legend
CoachO said:

what i bolded and made large becuz it is :) Givens is in 2nd year, it took Bruce 4 years to make a name for himself, drafted in 95, not heard of around the league till 99, and before 99, so many hammies many thot he should be gone from roster.
train

V3

Hall of Fame
I get pretty tired of the youngest team in the NFL excuse. There are plenty of very young teams that aren't doing things the Rams are doing. How about the Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Eagles, Seahawks, Packers, and Jets(you might even throw in the Browns)? All of them are ranked right below the Rams with regards to inexperience and they are either performing as expected or beyond.

It's more about coaching and putting your players in a position to succeed than age, IMO.

F. Mulder

Starter
First off let me preface this by saying that I am very glad Fisher is our coach. With that said I lay the following things directly at his (and his staffs) feet:

1) Preparadness. For at least 2 games (Atl, Dallas,) this team has come out of the tunnel in zombie-land. The Arizona, SF, and Jacksonsville games weren't much better based on either offensive penalties killing drives (Arizona), missed opportunity to score a TD (SF-Pass to Pettis), and the Invisible Man coverage on a no-win team with their best WR out there (J'vile). Hell I would expect this team to come out almost too fired up and aggressive; Fisher even said he had to keep an eye on the young guys so they didn't overdo it early on.

2) Special Teams Penalties- I get that this is a young unit and that the majority of mistakes are by first year guys but if you either cant get them to figure out what to do and what not to do then skip it. If Ray Ray, Bates, etc commit one more special teams penalty they sit the following week.

On a much larger level, what concerns me most is that this team is below average/expectations in ALL facets of the team. I was a big Bradford supporter but to me he hasn't stepped forward this year as I had hoped. The receiver still drop too many balls. The OL can't run block. The RBs are a mystery. The play calling is conservative. I surely thought we'd see and be able to implement more of the weapons this team no has.

Defensively it is just as bad. JL finally showed up vs Jacksonville. The DBs have been erratic to below average with Finnegan really stinking. The front 4 has its moments but seems to play down to its opponent. This type of front 4 should be able to take over games single-handidly.

As previously mentioned, special teams.

Sure the young guys have screwed up and that was to be expected but the OL is a veteran group and really looks below-average IMO. The DL is ok but sure doesn't look like the DL we saw last season. I want to see more mismatches via gameplanning. I want to see Stacy at RB with Richardson as change of pace. I want to see Harkey at H-back more (he was terrific vs. Jacksonville). I NEVER want to see Cook in-line. I want to see Schotty exploit the mismatches that SHOULD exist with the likes of Givens, Cook, Austin.

The 2-3 stinks but I could live with it IF they were games that came down to the wire or if one particular unit was letting the team down. Instead, minus the way-late comeback vs. Atl this team has had their socks knocked off by a mediocre Dallas team, and a supposed measuring stick in SF (minus several key players, coming off a bad loss, in STL)!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
V3 said:
I get pretty tired of the youngest team in the NFL excuse. There are plenty of very young teams that aren't doing things the Rams are doing. How about the Bills, Chiefs, Dolphins, Eagles, Seahawks, Packers, and Jets(you might even throw in the Browns)? All of them are ranked right below the Rams with regards to inexperience and they are either performing as expected or beyond.

It's more about coaching and putting your players in a position to succeed than age, IMO.

While you make a valid point, the Bills and Eagles have the same record as we do. The Packers and Seahawks are more veteran teams. The Jets and Dolphins are only 1 game better. And the Chiefs are also a much more veteran team.

And that doesn't take into account the schedule of each of these teams.

But a point that shouldn't be glossed over is that if we were playing the sort of defense that the Chiefs are...we'd be a tough team this year...and we have that sort of talent on defense.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Had to recheck my bookmark, thought somehow I ended up on Ramstalk.
Wow I guess what progress was made was just a misguided wet dream last season.
He can get better like everyone else in the organization can.

Fishers the coach till Stan K. says he's not. That's about how it rolls.

Who are you going to get that's better?

F. Mulder

Starter
Yamahopper said:

I'm not sure if you are responding in some of the posts in this thread or specific ones but I'd like to clarify a few things in case they are misunderstood; I believe in Fisher and overall like his staff. I like the way he thinks, coaches, treats players, and his overall approach to the game. I don't think Fisher is going anywhere nor do I want him to.

Fisher cannot block, catch passes, make tackles, etc. HOWEVER, the coaches job is to do several things: preparation, putting players in the best position to succeed, and to hold players accountable on and off the field. I have been shocked at the flat attitude this team often comes out with. I have been shocked at the repeat offenders (both vet and young-players) regarding on-field discipline and awareness, and have shaken my head at some of the game planning that has taken place.

That doesn't make me a hater or a troll, it just makes me much more disappointed at what I've seen this season based on the upgrades in talent and alleged cohesion from having a 2nd year in place and up and running.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how much younger the players are on the Rams ST compared to other teams. I would think most teams use their youngest players on STs and there isn't much difference in age. So I'm not buying that all the ST penalties are due to young players. I think its mostly coaching. And that falls on Fisher at this point.

This team has been a big disappointment, no matter how you cut it.

I think most of us are in the 11 more games camp. Right now, they look like a 5 or 6 win team to me. And if that's all they do, then there should be a lot of pressure on Fisher, Bradford, and Kroenke.

There should be enough talent on this team by 2014 to make this a playoff team. I think if the Rams aren't a playoff team in 2014 then Snead and Fisher are big time failures.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
F. Mulder said:
Yamahopper said:

I'm not sure if you are responding in some of the posts in this thread or specific ones but I'd like to clarify a few things in case they are misunderstood; I believe in Fisher and overall like his staff. I like the way he thinks, coaches, treats players, and his overall approach to the game. I don't think Fisher is going anywhere nor do I want him to.

Fisher cannot block, catch passes, make tackles, etc. HOWEVER, the coaches job is to do several things: preparation, putting players in the best position to succeed, and to hold players accountable on and off the field. I have been shocked at the flat attitude this team often comes out with. I have been shocked at the repeat offenders (both vet and young-players) regarding on-field discipline and awareness, and have shaken my head at some of the game planning that has taken place.

That doesn't make me a hater or a troll, it just makes me much more disappointed at what I've seen this season based on the upgrades in talent and alleged cohesion from having a 2nd year in place and up and running.

I was not replying to anyone or implying anything particular. I'm sorry if it was taken wrong.

But I'm just wow sometimes on how the mood and expectations have changed from the end of last season till now. And much less here than I'm finding with the general public.

I was not a big fan of hiring Fisher, but I respected his work with the Titans as in they were always competitive even if they lacked talent. But I warmed to how he conducted his coaching business the more I learned about him.

Point is sometimes it takes time, a stand has to be taken that this is the coach and that's how it is. Good or bad.A level must be found. That is easier with a coach with a proven track record.
When a team does get the talent And either the players can't be coached to win or the coach is failing in game situations then the questioning should start.

The same coach that was so close to running the table in the div. last year is now less effective. More flaws are seen. Did he or expectations change.

This team is far from having the talent to be a top team. Quinn might be the only player that is a legit top 5 player at his position. The Rams are still playing whack-a-mole in the offseason. Fill one hole and 2 more open up.

Where I do fault Fisher is his tolerance for the same players making the same mistakes over and over. Most of the ST flags are coming from Jag's. Cut them and move on. I thought he was tougher on that stuff.

Again I look at it is who ever the player or coach, who is out there that is better and available.

V3

Hall of Fame
max said:
I wonder how much younger the players are on the Rams ST compared to other teams. I would think most teams use their youngest players on STs and there isn't much difference in age. So I'm not buying that all the ST penalties are due to young players. I think its mostly coaching. And that falls on Fisher at this point.

I think most of us are in the 11 more games camp. Right now, they look like a 5 or 6 win team to me. And if that's all they do, then there should be a lot of pressure on Fisher, Bradford, and Kroenke.

There should be enough talent on this team by 2014 to make this a playoff team. I think if the Rams aren't a playoff team in 2014 then Snead and Fisher are big time failures.

That's a good point. I doubt many teams use many veterans on ST's. That's usually where you find the role players and UDFA's that require another year or two to develop into their regular positions.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
max said:

Can't disagree with this.

That said, I'm willing to give them another season, let alone another 11 games. I agree if we're not there by 2014 (or really really close- we are in a tough tough division after all), then the experiment has failed. 3 years is enough to turn things around.

F. Mulder

Starter
Yamahopper said:
F. Mulder said:
Yamahopper said:

I was not replying to anyone or implying anything particular. I'm sorry if it was taken wrong.

But I'm just wow sometimes on how the mood and expectations have changed from the end of last season till now. And much less here than I'm finding with the general public.

I was not a big fan of hiring Fisher, but I respected his work with the Titans as in they were always competitive even if they lacked talent. But I warmed to how he conducted his coaching business the more I learned about him.

Point is sometimes it takes time, a stand has to be taken that this is the coach and that's how it is. Good or bad.A level must be found. That is easier with a coach with a proven track record.
When a team does get the talent And either the players can't be coached to win or the coach is failing in game situations then the questioning should start.

The same coach that was so close to running the table in the div. last year is now less effective. More flaws are seen. Did he or expectations change.

This team is far from having the talent to be a top team. Quinn might be the only player that is a legit top 5 player at his position. The Rams are still playing whack-a-mole in the offseason. Fill one hole and 2 more open up.

Where I do fault Fisher is his tolerance for the same players making the same mistakes over and over. Most of the ST flags are coming from Jag's. Cut them and move on. I thought he was tougher on that stuff.

Again I look at it is who ever the player or coach, who is out there that is better and available.

Good response.

I think that is what frustrates myself (and so many?). The team showed so much promise in most of its wins and losses and most agree it is more dangerous and better this year. I think looking at the level of talent, a solid HC and staff, and how they played last season created the belief/feeling that this team would be able to take the next step.

So far they haven't both in wins and losses and the old eyeball test. Does that mean Fisher sucks? No. Does it mean they are a young team that is learning and trying to get on the same page? Maybe? However, I continue to go back to things like lack of discipline, lack of aggression at the starts of games. and the seeming lack of preparedness I've seen.

Can they turn it around? Sure. I guess my confidence is significantly shaken at this point and I feel back to the Spags days where seeing even one victory is hard at this point. It's just been a long time with different coaches/GMs, a crap load of high drafts, and the seemingly endless array of losses and underachievement. I really hope they find their way the next 11 games and this talent and coaching get in synch. Right now I'm just disappointed (but that is subject to change in a second :yeh: )

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Based upon recent comments by Fisher and Barksdale, the impression I get is that EVERYONE including the coaches are both surprised and "flummoxed" by the team play this season. That said, a couple of things come to mind; All coaches including Fisher say the same thing:" each year, every team is different."

As a result, just because some additional talent is added, doesn't mean the team will actually play better. It never ceases to amaze me how often the "gel factor" comes into play. You can load a team up, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will play as a unit or execute efficiently.

Secondly, and again based upon comments by both, the execution problems on both sides of the line are being described as "minor errors". If so, there seems to be a bunch of them taking place almost simultaneously. In any event, do these explanations suggest that play can return to last years form? Ultimately, it will depend upon whether the players and coaches can "manage" through this period and still remain motivated enough to improve throughout the remainder of the season.

I don't know about you, but I'm not expecting any "after the show, show", at this point. But I do want to see and expect to see, this team improve week by week, so that we will at least know that the team is headed in the right direction.

We've already spoken ad ad nauseam about the youth factor and the needs for them to contribute. But what about the "gel factor", AKA, execution? For the remainder of the season, this teams performance and effort needs to improve week by week. If not, then we'll know there's a much bigger problem here, won't we?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
ramsince62 said:
Based upon recent comments by Fisher and Barksdale, the impression I get is that EVERYONE including the coaches are both surprised and "flummoxed" by the team play this season. That said, a couple of things come to mind; All coaches including Fisher say the same thing:" each year, every team is different."

As a result, just because some additional talent is added, doesn't mean the team will actually play better. It never ceases to amaze me how often the "gel factor" comes into play. You can load a team up, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they will play as a unit or execute efficiently.

Secondly, and again based upon comments by both, the execution problems on both sides of the line are being described as "minor errors". If so, there seems to be a bunch of them taking place almost simultaneously. In any event, do these explanations suggest that play can return to last years form? Ultimately, it will depend upon whether the players and coaches can "manage" through this period and still remain motivated enough to improve throughout the remainder of the season.

I don't know about you, but I'm not expecting any "after the show, show", at this point. But I do want to see and expect to see, this team improve week by week, so that we will at least know that the team is headed in the right direction.

We've already spoken ad ad nauseam about the youth factor and the needs for them to contribute. But what about the "gel factor", AKA, execution? For the remainder of the season, this teams performance and effort needs to improve week by week. If not, then we'll know there's a much bigger problem here, won't we?

Hell of a post, '62.

…..

Legend
Aside from wether he's going or staying or wether we dump him or keep him...

Fisher's Performance?

I have to say I am not that impressed. Various reasons, and yes I realize there are mitigating circumstances. My biggest issue is complete letdowns and how the team can go from looking fantastic one week to looking bewildered and inept the next week. I put that on coaching.

I do like his attitude, his demeanor, his confidence. He just doesnt seem to keep the team ready at all times. Maybe that explains his career record hovering around 50% Good one week, bad the next.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Thordaddy said:
Stranger said:
CoachO said:

So should the Rams have said "hey we're GONNA be good someday"? We built our own expectations beyond realistic bounds ,some BTW didn't , so it's not the Rams fault if I'm disgruntled over irrational exuberance.........
I did't think the team would regress. My expectation was that they would show improvement over last yr, and while they probably wouldn't win games against playoff contenders, they would at least be competitive in those games. I wouldn't consider these expectations "irrational", as you say. But, clearly, none of these expectations have been met by a long shot.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
F. Mulder said:
Yamahopper said:
F. Mulder said:
Yamahopper said:

Good response.

I think that is what frustrates myself (and so many?). The team showed so much promise in most of its wins and losses and most agree it is more dangerous and better this year. I think looking at the level of talent, a solid HC and staff, and how they played last season created the belief/feeling that this team would be able to take the next step.

So far they haven't both in wins and losses and the old eyeball test. Does that mean Fisher sucks? No. Does it mean they are a young team that is learning and trying to get on the same page? Maybe? However, I continue to go back to things like lack of discipline, lack of aggression at the starts of games. and the seeming lack of preparedness I've seen.

Can they turn it around? Sure. I guess my confidence is significantly shaken at this point and I feel back to the Spags days where seeing even one victory is hard at this point. It's just been a long time with different coaches/GMs, a crap load of high drafts, and the seemingly endless array of losses and underachievement. I really hope they find their way the next 11 games and this talent and coaching get in synch. Right now I'm just disappointed (but that is subject to change in a second :yeh: )

When I look at the differences in the team from last year I see a couple issues. Not excuses just changes.
3/4 of the secondary is different. Cortland turned into Justin King, Mikel and C. Dahl left. As bad as Dahl was he knew his assignment. So we end up with basically 2 rook safeties and a 2 2nd year CB's and everyone wants to man up. We're Forced to play Safeties in the nickel and dime since we have no other CB's ready to play.

A raw rook and a has been at OLB and they wonder why we can't stop the run.
They step up and sign J. Long , move Saffold then he gets hurt. H Dahl and Wells decline and LG is still in flux and we can't run the ball.

Playmakers they said, get some playmakers. Well they got them. But this is the NFL, not college and there will be a time of adjustment for the players and the coaches.

I said before the season 8-8 would be great. 2-3 right now isn't that bad. Like last year the 2nd half the season will be better.

With the sheer numbers of players changed out is Fisher even close to running the scheme he wants to? Or is he just trying to win how ever he can with what he's got.