Fishers performance

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I guess I'm a bit concerned about the coaching on this team at this point. And it's hard not to put the blame at the feet of Fisher. He hired all these guys and it's his show. So I do wonder what his overall commitment is this year. This does not look like one of his better coaching performances. And I just wonder why.

I know if we had a first time HC, instead of Fisher, who was getting the same results that Fisher is getting this year I would be seriously questioning his ability to be a HC. Fisher gets the benefit of the doubt but that won't last forever.

Fisher said they weren't going backward, but so far they sure look like they have.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
max said:
I guess I'm a bit concerned about the coaching on this team at this point. And it's hard not to put the blame at the feet of Fisher. He hired all these guys and it's his show. So I do wonder what his overall commitment is this year. This does not look like one of his better coaching performances. And I just wonder why.

I know if we had a first time HC, instead of Fisher, who was getting the same results that Fisher is getting this year I would be seriously questioning his ability to be a HC. Fisher gets the benefit of the doubt but that won't last forever.

Fisher said they weren't going backward, but so far they sure look like they have.
I think everyone here has seen that I've been seriously questioning Fisher since we fell to the whiners on Thursday night. Now that I've finally calmed down I've decided to give him 8 more games (2 qtrs of a season) in order to re-evaluate.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He has the year. Like Sam, I'm neutral on him. Lost a lot of confidence in him this year.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think many of us are under estimating the impact of being the "youngest team in the league" actually is.

It's one thing to be young in some positions, and we have all seen young PLAYERS succeed in certain situations. But when there is such a influx of inexperience across the board, as is the case on this team (28 players in their 1st or 2nd year), it will have a major impact on just how much you can throw at them.

I also think that Fisher (and staff) are coaching this team accordingly. We want guys like McLeod and even Jenkins to come in here an play like seasoned veterans, just because they are being counted on as key starters. The fact remains, they are still YOUNG players and are going to make mistakes.

Someone like Chris Givens, who burst on the scene last year, with a cluster of "big plays" was counted on to be a "seasoned veteran" and be that "go to guy" on a unit that is woefully inexperienced. Do you think its by coincidence that Austin Pettis is actually the most consistent WR on the roster? Notice, I didn't say the BEST, I said most consistent.

The continued mistakes on Special Teams, specifically the return units, are being made by ROOKIES, who, more often than not, are now being asked to perform a role many of them never were asked to perform while being the best players on their college teams. I am in no way trying to excuse it, merely trying to explain some of the things I have seen thru 5 games.

This is a much more talented team than it has been in years, but with that talent will continue to come mistakes from the youth and inexperience. I anticipate it will be much improved as the season progresses, but the growing pains are just a fact we are all going to have to live thru.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Just sayin if y'all are gonna give up on Fisher if we end up 4-12 or worse , yer gonna have a miserable two years cuz he's here for 4 yrs, pretty well regardless how any of us see it, so. I'm not painting myself in any corners about the guy.
Outside of about five players this is ostensibly an expansion team without the right to an expansion draft. Patience is what I'll hang my hat on

Graphicker

Starter
jrry32 said:
He has the year. Like Sam, I'm neutral on him. Lost a lot of confidence in him this year.

this.. it's slipping away.

Un-premio-para-esta-madre-por-favor_zps9136ea65.gif

Glad that the defense has changed though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm sure you can contribute much of this team's short comings to youth and execution but it sometimes sure seems strange and makes one think maybe there are ulterior motives at play. I mean in today's NFL, a coach and his staff can't stink it up for long without being gone so maybe this could be an organizational play. I know, I know, conspiracy theory much? But think of it this way, suppose everybody in the organization knows this team can't make a playoff push. Maybe they recognize there are a couple of crucial pieces missing. Maybe they recognize that the youth at too many key positions is too big of an obstacle for sustained success this year. With two 1st round picks in next year's draft and Washington not looking too stellar at the moment, not going all in this year would garnish two pretty high picks next year. And to make the salary cap situation a little more favorable next year, Bradford not being too successful this season could lower his price going forward. There also is the fact that there are at least a couple of high paid veterans performing mediocre at the moment that could be cut or restructured next year. And let's not even bring in the stadium woes or LA talk. This is a business and I do have too much time on my hands to think about this kind of crap but it does make one wonder what is at play behind the scenes this season. And I'm sure something along these lines goes on from time to time in major league sports.

Risky play because of maybe losing some of the fan base but let's be realistic, teams get most of their money from TV rights. Sure, lost ticket sales, concessions, and team gear can hurt but the bulk of the revenue is coming from TV. I hate thinking this way because it has always been about TEAM with me and try to put the business side in the background because it ruins it in my eyes. I'd love to see a big win in Houston this week to blow this thought out of my mind.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Fisher is going to continue to stay on his course. He's not going to change his game plan because of some pitfalls along the way. Fish is a leader with a plan. As much as I'd like to see an immediate turnaround in the Ram Franchise,,, rebuilds of this magnitude take some time. I feel confident that our beloved team is in the right hands... it hasn't been for a very long time... but it is now.

I understand the lack of trust that many feel who have almost religiously followed this team. We HAVE been fucked over by a number of past decision makers... and it's easy to think "here we go again". The past is clouding your judgment.

Fish and Co. will make us proud. Count on it, but be realistic when the normal growing pains happen. A complete turnaround of a franchise that was as fucking low as we were cannot happen in just a year and a half.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Much like Sam, I'll give away add my money and possessions if Fisher was to leave at the end of the season.

It's not going to happen. If anyone is thinking that it might happen then stop. Even if Fisher was a first time coach he would be in no danger.

You don't fire a coach after 1 bad season.

You don't cut a QB when the team around him fails and he can't do everything himself.

It just doesn't happen.

Graphicker

Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Much like Sam, I'll give away add my money and possessions if Fisher was to leave at the end of the season.

It's not going to happen. If anyone is thinking that it might happen then stop. Even if Fisher was a first time coach he would be in no danger.

You don't cut a QB when the team around him fails and he can't do everything himself.

It just doesn't happen.

Freeman, Sanchez, Blaine and Weeden come to mind..

Saban and the former coach for the Falcons booked it.

The Panthers already started searching for a new HC.

I gave you 5 samples, What exactly doesn't happen?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Graphicker said:
bluecoconuts said:

It just doesn't happen.

Sanchez and Freeman both struggled on talented teams, Weeden was never good, and Blaine (I'm assuming you're talking about Gabbert) has never shown the ability.

Those two coaches quit, they were not fired. Ron Rivera has coached the Panthers for 2 full seasons and this season, and has yet to really do anything worthwhile, so at the end of the season if they continue to have a win% of 400 or below after 3 seasons then it may be time to look for a new coach, because he may just not be HC material, he's unproven.

So none of those examples work, especially the coaches.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Graphicker said:
bluecoconuts said:

It just doesn't happen.

No matter ain't happenin

NOT UP IN HERE!!!!!!!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't believe for a second that Kroenke will fire Fisher regardless of how bad the Rams record is this year or even next year.

Fisher is his guy and Kroenke is sticking with him for the long haul.

The problem I see is that it doesn't appear that Fisher is getting the most out of his talent. The offensive scheme is frustrating to watch. The defense has trouble generating takeaways. And the STs can't make a play without a penalty.

Even the Jags looked better coached than the Rams.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
max said:
I don't believe for a second that Kroenke will fire Fisher regardless of how bad the Rams record is this year or even next year.

The problem I see is that it doesn't appear that Fisher is getting the most out of his talent. The offensive scheme is frustrating to watch. The defense has trouble generating takeaways. And the STs can't make a play without a penalty.

I was with you till that last line and FWIW Fassel's job should be on the line now

EastRam

Pro Bowler
Thordaddy said:
max said:

I was with you till that last line and FWIW Fassel's job should be on the line now

I actually agree with the last line from Max.

And I agree with you that Flagels job should be on the line.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think half the problem is we have no idea what is going on. Fisher has an entire show and he says nothing or says things that don't happen and we have no idea why.

Tayvon was supposed to be a focus. Instead he gets no blocking and is almost never in open space. 2 games ago he said he wanted Zac Stacy to get a lot of touches and he got none. Pead fell off the face of the earth and we don't know why. The long ball is all but non-existent when we all know Givens is more than capable.

There are basically 2 schools of thought:

1) Fisher has a great plan and is just being hampered by the youth and inexperience of the team. Patience will expose a great team and scheme in time.

2) Fisher doesn't know what to do with a passing O with this much talent and neither does Schotty.

I'm leaning toward 2. There's just too much talent that is completely invisible for this to be all about the players. The failures permeate every part of the team, even those that were previously very successful.

In one series against the Jaguars, they called DR 3 times up the middle for 3 and out. That says everything we need to know. There's not a person on this site or probably another coach in the NFL that would call DR 3 times up the middle ever, with his track record up the middle, and ZS on the bench. Would YOU? DR up the middle wouldn't even be IN my playbook.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
jrry32 said:

I tend to agree here and I'm concerned he might be over his head in today's modern day NFL.

Graphicker

Starter
den-the-coach said:
jrry32 said:

I tend to agree here and I'm concerned he might be over his head in today's modern day NFL.

It's not that. He's a genius when it comes to player evaluations.
The amount of talent we have is ridiculous. It's his stubbornness to
Adjust or change his schemes. He's a prideful man and a loyal one to a fault. But these last 2 games the defense has adjusted. We are playing man to man..

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Selassie I said:
Fisher is going to continue to stay on his course. He's not going to change his game plan because of some pitfalls along the way. Fish is a leader with a plan. As much as I'd like to see an immediate turnaround in the Ram Franchise,,, rebuilds of this magnitude take some time. I feel confident that our beloved team is in the right hands... it hasn't been for a very long time... but it is now.

I understand the lack of trust that many feel who have almost religiously followed this team. We HAVE been freaked over by a number of past decision makers... and it's easy to think "here we go again". The past is clouding your judgment.

Fish and Co. will make us proud. Count on it, but be realistic when the normal growing pains happen. A complete turnaround of a franchise that was as freaking low as we were cannot happen in just a year and a half.

Nicely put bro.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
CoachO said:
I think many of us are under estimating the impact of being the "youngest team in the league" actually is.

It's one thing to be young in some positions, and we have all seen young PLAYERS succeed in certain situations. But when there is such a influx of inexperience across the board, as is the case on this team (28 players in their 1st or 2nd year), it will have a major impact on just how much you can throw at them.

I also think that Fisher (and staff) are coaching this team accordingly. We want guys like McLeod and even Jenkins to come in here an play like seasoned veterans, just because they are being counted on as key starters. The fact remains, they are still YOUNG players and are going to make mistakes.

Someone like Chris Givens, who burst on the scene last year, with a cluster of "big plays" was counted on to be a "seasoned veteran" and be that "go to guy" on a unit that is woefully inexperienced. Do you think its by coincidence that Austin Pettis is actually the most consistent WR on the roster? Notice, I didn't say the BEST, I said most consistent.

The continued mistakes on Special Teams, specifically the return units, are being made by ROOKIES, who, more often than not, are now being asked to perform a role many of them never were asked to perform while being the best players on their college teams. I am in no way trying to excuse it, merely trying to explain some of the things I have seen thru 5 games.

This is a much more talented team than it has been in years, but with that talent will continue to come mistakes from the youth and inexperience. I anticipate it will be much improved as the season progresses, but the growing pains are just a fact we are all going to have to live thru.

Thordaddy said:
Just sayin if y'all are gonna give up on Fisher if we end up 4-12 or worse , yer gonna have a miserable two years cuz he's here for 4 yrs, pretty well regardless how any of us see it, so. I'm not painting myself in any corners about the guy.
Outside of about five players this is ostensibly an expansion team without the right to an expansion draft. Patience is what I'll hang my hat on
Agreed on both. Let's not forget so much youth and a very very tough strength of schedule. So basically young players trying to get their footings as against some really tough teams I would expect it to look ugly at times.