Fish tank enthusiasts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Selassie I , pretty serious fish tank , and I admit , I know nothing about fish tanks , sure seems like you got a lot of fish in there , do they all get along ?

My daughter has had a thing for turtles ever since she was real little , she's had a little Russian Tortoise now for a couple years , but that's about as aquatic as we get , other then a good fish fry on a Friday night ,

That video was taken over 3 years ago by one of my boys. At that time I kept African Cichlids in the tank along with some clown loaches. African cichlids are a very unique type of fish. There are only really 3 lakes in Africa where they can be found and all 3 lakes have very different fish species. They evolved on their own. The ones I kept back then were from Lake Malawi for the most part... but there were a few from Lake Tanzania too. Those fish need to be crowded like they are in the wild or they will kill each other off. They are aggressive and it's very common for a fight to result in death. No biggie with them. They are so cool with the way they breed though... the females hold the eggs in her mouth until they hatch. Once they hatch she holds the babies in her mouth until they grow too big to hold. They swim in and out of the mother's mouth for protection.

My tank is back to saltwater now though. There won't be any more babies... but the saltwater fish are way more intelligent. I used to have saltwater fish in my tanks when I was just a kid back in Hawaii. Some of the fish I would just net myself with a mask and snorkel cost hundreds of dollars today.

And you guys need to get way more AQUATIC btw... tortoises live on land last time I checked. LOL

Fish fries are a great start though. (y) I just added a Miniatus grouper to my tank last week... there's a pic in the Last Thing You Bought thread. My wife is already making plans to fillet his ass once he grows a bit.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
@IowaRam

Took this pic just a few nights ago. The puffer and the red grouper are both about a foot long just for a scale.

20160310_202753.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
@IowaRam

Took this pic just a few nights ago. The puffer and the red grouper are both about a foot long just for a scale.

20160310_202753.jpg

I got to see this tank first hand in February. Awesome setup and fascinating to watch.

@Selassie I cooked some excellent ribs and grouper while I was there.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
@IowaRam

20160310_202753.jpg

Pretty cool , the colors are awesome , love the blue and white

Were are all the filters and stuff

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Pretty cool , the colors are awesome , love the blue and white

Were are all the filters and stuff

All of the plumbing is underneath in the big cabinet. There's a lot going on with the filtration. The tank has built in returns in each back corner... that means there are basically holes drilled so the water can flow down into the filters and pumps underneath.

For filters there are... a large wet dry system, a huge skimmer, an untraviolet light filter, and a carbon canister filter. There are 2 large pumps that pump huge amounts of water. There is also a holding tank of extra saltwater that automatically keeps the tank filled to the proper level as water evaporates. I'll try and take a few pics of what's under the cabinet if you want.

Last edited: