Fish tank enthusiasts

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Who here has a fish tank as a hobby. I do and am probably upgrading to a 50 gallon tank shortly

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Re: Fish tank enthusiasts

I've had a tank since I was 6. I used to net all my own fish and invertebrates when I lived in Hawaii. Since that time I have kept just about every type of fish both salt and fresh.

I currently have a 250 gallon. All of the coral in it (got a bunch of big bleached dead coral) was collected by my wife, boys and I while diving. Got 2 big brain corals. Some really big Helmet Conchs (Queen) and a huge Trident Conch that we found through the years as well. I keep the coral bleached white,,, pain in the ass, but looks killer. We all know the places that each piece was collected, so it reminds us of places we'd rather be.

What kind of fish are you gonna keep?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I've had fresh water fish most of my adult life, but currently I do not have my tank in service.

I've always wanted to do salt water. Maybe when I retire and have the time?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Selassie I said:
I've had a tank since I was 6. I used to net all my own fish and invertebrates when I lived in Hawaii. Since that time I have kept just about every type of fish both salt and fresh.

I currently have a 250 gallon. All of the coral in it (got a bunch of big bleached dead coral) was collected by my wife, boys and I while diving. Got 2 big brain corals. Some really big Helmet Conchs (Queen) and a huge Trident Conch that we found through the years as well. I keep the coral bleached white,,, pain in the ass, but looks killer. We all know the places that each piece was collected, so it reminds us of places we'd rather be.

You've got to post a couple of pics of that behemoth.....it sounds fantastic.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

I'll definitely post a few. One of my boys even has a video I believe.

Just got down to the Keys today... I'll post them when I get back home and have my computer instead of this phone.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Selassie I said:

Not sure yet it is gonna be a freshwater 55 gallon tank just got it set up letting it sit empty awhile to develop the good bacterias

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

To help speed up your bacteria colony ... you can add what I call a starter fish (maybe 4 - 5). They probably won't live through the cycle but they will speed up the process and give you something to look at in the mean time. Get a cheap type of fish for this obviously.

I don't know if they really work, but you can also buy bacteria starter stuff at your local fish store. You can also ask your local fish store if they will just give you a bacteria culture out of one of their established tanks.

No matter what, you gotta wait a number of weeks for your tank to cycle. I recommend the starter fish while you wait.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Is there a trick to keeping alge growth down?

I've never had luck keeping the green guck from taking over.

I've not put a sucker fish in there. Perhaps that would help?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

If you have an alge issue you need to do a 20 percent water change each week and full tank change every month. Also make sure you are using decorations thay are fish tank friendly. Also make sure you are not overfeeding the fish left over food turns to alge issues as well
Also make sure when you do a full tank change to clean the gravel but leave a handful or 2 of dirty gravel aside it will help create the good bacteria again at a faster pace since it has something to feed on.

I made the change over to a penguin bio wheel filter
http://shopping.yahoo.com/810675439...0-gallon-tank-pf0200b-aquarium-power-filters/

Its a 3 stage filter that hits all 3 filter categorys mechanical chemical and bio all in one and has a good flow rate. Had crystal clear water since

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I used to have a 75 gallon tank with Tiger Oscars and Plecos. The Plecostomus did a pretty good job of keeping the tank clean. My suggestion though is that you leave enough room between rocks and the glass for example to allow your plecos to suck freely as they grow. I got little 1 1/2" oscars (3) and my plecos (2) were about 3" long. The oscars grew pretty fast and after two of them singled out the weaker third and killed it, ended up about 12" long. The plecos stretched about half way across the tank. Also keep in mind that Oscars will pick up plants and other decorations and move them around. They are kinda restless.

Plecos are tough fish so even though the oscars would attack them, they would just put up their spine and give the oscars a rude awakening. Even though some other fish are supposedly good tank mates for the oscars, ours killed everything else we put in with them.

If you do get oscars, they are fun fish and actually have a personality of sorts. They will come to the glass when you walk up and sit there looking like they are wagging their tails. We had an albino and a regular Tiger Oscar. We always fed our oscars feeder fish. You just need to make sure the feeders are clean and healthy. If you see any signs of disease, choose something else to feed them. They'll eat damn near anything.

Unfortunately, our fish died when we had a bad power outage about 8 years ago. We ended up using the tank for a Ball Python instead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Rabid Ram said:
If you have an alge issue you need to do a 20 percent water change each week and full tank change every month. Also make sure you are using decorations thay are fish tank friendly. Also make sure you are not overfeeding the fish left over food turns to alge issues as well
Also make sure when you do a full tank change to clean the gravel but leave a handful or 2 of dirty gravel aside it will help create the good bacteria again at a faster pace since it has something to feed on.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/810675439...0-gallon-tank-pf0200b-aquarium-power-filters/

Its a 3 stage filter that hits all 3 filter categorys mechanical chemical and bio all in one and has a good flow rate. Had crystal clear water since

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting a beefier filter, that's a good deal.

Yeah, water changes are important, eh? I was too lazy to keep up with the rates you suggest... that's probably a big part of my problem.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

RamFan503 said:
I used to have a 75 gallon tank with Tiger Oscars and Plecos. The Plecostomus did a pretty good job of keeping the tank clean. My suggestion though is that you leave enough room between rocks and the glass for example to allow your plecos to suck freely as they grow. I got little 1 1/2" oscars (3) and my plecos (2) were about 3" long. The oscars grew pretty fast and after two of them singled out the weaker third and killed it, ended up about 12" long. The plecos stretched about half way across the tank. Also keep in mind that Oscars will pick up plants and other decorations and move them around. They are kinda restless.

Plecos are tough fish so even though the oscars would attack them, they would just put up their spine and give the oscars a rude awakening. Even though some other fish are supposedly good tank mates for the oscars, ours killed everything else we put in with them.

If you do get oscars, they are fun fish and actually have a personality of sorts. They will come to the glass when you walk up and sit there looking like they are wagging their tails. We had an albino and a regular Tiger Oscar. We always fed our oscars feeder fish. You just need to make sure the feeders are clean and healthy. If you see any signs of disease, choose something else to feed them. They'll eat damn near anything.

Unfortunately, our fish died when we had a bad power outage about 8 years ago. We ended up using the tank for a Ball Python instead.

Ive had my share of tigers... they can be aggressive for sure.

Those Plecos get too big which is why I stayed away from them.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

CGI_Ram said:
Rabid Ram said:

Thanks for the feedback. I was expecting a beefier filter, that's a good deal.

Yeah, water changes are important, eh? I was too lazy to keep up with the rates you suggest... that's probably a big part of my problem.
The suggested rates are only when you have alge iasues or cloudy water. I do a 50 percent once a month sometimes every other month with this penguin setup and a bit of driftwood

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Got the new 55 gallon setup next step fish

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370976494223.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370976494223.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 214
  • uploadfromtaptalk1370976518117.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370976518117.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 239

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

10 gallon setup with led hood in the lil mans room
Looks cloudy but it's not just the glare from the flash

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1370976596767.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1370976596767.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 242

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin

Anyone else gonna share lol

bluecoconuts

Legend

I wish I had a tank to share... I've always wanted one... If I had the money I'd probably have an entire wall be a giant tank.... When I was little I used to want to have a few fish tanks... One with salt water fish, and one that was big enough to have fresh water fish, but a little land area and have turtles/lizards/frogs and such.

But I don't have the money or the space.... Whenever I move out of an apartment and into a house a large fish tank is on my list though. Looks awesome though.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Here's mine.

IMitCpQ.jpg

Yeah -- right.