Finnegan: Walton's Defensive System "Atrocious"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
200.gif

I see what he means about Walton's scheme being atrocious:
"run and jump onto Ogletree's shoulders"
"wait what you want me to run and jump onto Ogletree's shoulders?"
"Yeah"

At least Finnegan executed it to the best of his ability.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Thankfully,,, we'll no longer have to watch Finn or Walton be a part of the Ram D going forward. Huge addition by SUBTRACTION.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sorry, didn't mean to respond. I first thought that new word was "fuckaroundass" and thought it was a reference to the cheerleaders. I was about to agree, then realized my error. Forget this ever happened.
LOL, RamsRock, this you? ahahahahahahahah

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
In a way, I think his experience as a DB coach may have hurt Walton.

I think he came in and saw a lot of things that he wanted to clean up, just as a matter of what is good and bad practice. That carried into the overall scheme that he wanted to implement, choosing to coach up the players rather than scheme to their strengths.

And of course Fisher wanted him as they actually tried to get Walton before. Not taking the assistant coaching job that the Rams offered him earlier probably hurt his development as a coach regarding the transition from position coach to coordinator.

Finnegan just struggled, and I think in his case it was an attempt to teach an old dog new tricks. It's a shame that he feels the need to lash out at Walton now.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless of Walton's defense, he still regressed last season. He was torched a lot in man coverage, from crossing routes and deep balls, to physicality. I don't think he'll rejuvenate anything honestly.

Agree... I think he's done.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
I agree with most everyone else, yeah Walton was god awful, but so was Finnegan, just being out of his system won't save him in my opinion. Even when playing back to the standard Fisher had before Walton he was still getting torched 24/7.

MrMotes

Starter
That's pretty late. Most coaching vacancies are filled before the playoffs are over, which is why guys like Adam Gage haven't gotten a HC gig...

RamzFanz

Damnit
I know Fisher likes to power run but I would like to see Bradford deep ball make strides this year.

I'm just not sure why people think his deep ball isn't working when he has receivers he can count on and even when he doesn't.

Perhaps you could point it out to me?

I would LOVE to see one of these from last season.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I'm just not sure why people think his deep ball isn't working when he has receivers he can count on and even when he doesn't.

Perhaps you could point it out to me?

I would LOVE to see one of these from last season.

I'd love to do another one, but I'm gun shy now with how often YouTube and the NFL shut me down.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah Walton sucked....But, so did Finnegan. I trust Fisher to know if "his guy" is over the hill or not...It would have been more classy to not do the Rams dirty when with a new team, but then that's just my way of thinking

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It kinda felt like the plan was, "well Tim, we've got this solid front seven and some younger guys in the backfield, especially safety. See if you can coach these guys up and if you mess up too badly the guys up front might bail you out."

But the holes were glaring from the jump, and got especially worse after McDonald's injury and Finnegan's decline.

The bigger question this year is how quickly the guys can absorb Williams' material as opposed to how the skill of the players can mask Walton's deficiencies as a DC. Nice change.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I see what he means about Walton's scheme being atrocious:
"run and jump onto Ogletree's shoulders"
"wait what you want me to run and jump onto Ogletree's shoulders?"
"Yeah"

At least Finnegan executed it to the best of his ability.

Haha that's awesome. Can't stop laughing. My fiance next to me tryin to sleep yells at me. "What's so fuckin funny?". Thanks, I needed that laugh. Much appreciated.

AnarchyRam

Rookie
If anyone wants to see just how bad Walton was, there was the Bears game last year where Jeff Fisher is mic'd up. At one point Fish is trying to calm all the coaches down and says - "Okay, this is what we're gonna do - Tim, you're gonna call it".

It was sort of what we all feared being confirmed. When your head coach LETS the defensive coordinator call plays, you know you're screwed. lol

FOUND THE LINKAGE -

Erictg29

UDFA
All due respect, I don't think it matters about Cort anymore(old news) what it says, and confirms for me, is a lot of the struggles our D went through last year were due to the system... which gives me renewed hope for a turn around this year.