Finnegan: Walton's Defensive System "Atrocious"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
A little shocking so why was Tim Walton even hired? Walton was a DC at the collegiate level and he was a secondary coach so the move to defensive coordinator should not have been a stretch. It was quite obvious he seemed to be over his head and I was one that thought they ushered out Blake Williams a tad too fast.

In the end Fisher took over the defense, but Jeff Fisher needs to realize his teams are far better off when a Williams is coordinated the defense!
It sounded more that there was a rift of some sort between Fish and Blake. I had heard that was one of the things that GW and Fish ironed out as part of them getting back together. Dunno for sure though.

simonblaze

Pro Bowler
Name
Simonblaze
Well I know Fisher tried to hire Walton as Assistant D coordinator with Greg Williams coming into his first season as head coach with the Rams. They definitely regressed with Walton in charge of the D but I highly doubt that he had anything to do with Finnegan aging a couple of years in one offseason. Finnegan looked old and slow in training camp before the season started. I doubt he stays with the Dolphins past this upcoming season.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It sounded more that there was a rift of some sort between Fish and Blake. I had heard that was one of the things that GW and Fish ironed out as part of them getting back together. Dunno for sure though.

Yes I heard that too and I realize that much was written about Blake Williams alienating himself from most of the defensive coaches, but he sure coordinated far better than Walton with less than half the experience. Well, I'm sure glad Fish and Williams let bygones be bygones and the Rams defense will be better off for it as Gregg Williams returns home to the Show Me State to Show Off his best defense ever!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agreed.
Some of the "blame" here lies on Fisher for hiring him though. However, Fisher also knew well enough to fire Walton in a timely, professional manner. Such is life. Nobody's perfect. Fisher obviously saw potential in Walton and gave him an opportunity. It didn't work out and the Fish corrected it.

Unlike the Steve Loney fiasco under Spags which was NOT how to solve a problem as a HC.
BTW, Loney is now an OLine assistant in Tampa Bay.

It says a lot about how serious Fisher is......now factor in that he fired Williams son knowing he was going to be bringing him in. He's not fucking around. There is not a gram of fuckaroundness at Rams Park these days.

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
It says a lot about how serious Fisher is......now factor in that he fired Williams son knowing he was going to be bringing him in. He's not freaking around. There is not a gram of fuckaroundness at Rams Park these days.
I learned an awesome new word today!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Shotty's future depends on Bradford. Fair or not...thats how it'll go down. Watch.

I think they are totally dependent on one another right now, more than any OC/QB in the league. This is the third year together, expectations are high with all that has been spent on the OL and pass catchers. They need each other to be their best and to make things work for this offense or both of them are in the crapper.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think they are totally dependent on one another right now, more than any OC/QB in the league. This is the third year together, expectations are high with all that has been spent on the OL and pass catchers. They need each other to be their best and to make things work for this offense or both of them are in the crapper.
Yep. If this offense doesn't get out of the 20th-25th-30th rankings, or if Sam Sam struggles, or Sam gets hurt and misses a lot of games, or the running game struggles....or the WR's are pedestrian...they'll both be gone IMO.
Again i'm not saying it would be fair to either Shotty or Bradford, but that's how things work in this league. Bradford's 5th season. Shotty's 3rd. Changes will be made.

I believe that if we can get a full season from Sam and a relatively healthy OLine none of what we're discussing will matter. :D

A55VA6

Legend
Walton was absolute trash. I would have no hope for this season if we kept him around.

RamzFanz

Damnit
I know Fisher likes to power run but I would like to see Bradford deep ball make strides this year.

I think we will see plenty of both. SB has never had an issue with deep passes, just deep receivers.

Read my Signature below.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I don't like a guy blaming the coach like this, we all saw how poorly the corners lined up, and played the loosest coverage around but still, own up...man up Finn.....PLAYERS PLAY!...I see the Snisher grabbing younger, faster, & more athletic corners for a reason...Perhaps Cortland couldn't handle press, and Walton tried to protect him by letting them stay off??? Not sure, I too am glad walton is gone....Still wanna see schotty make this offense pop too...

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think we will see plenty of both. SB has never had an issue with deep passes, just deep receivers.

Read my Signature below.
Eh...his deep ball placement early on was ugly. He's made some nice strides in this area.

Speeps

Starter
As right as Cortland may be about Walton, it doesn't excuse his performance. He looked old and slow. And didnt he admit at one point that he wasn't playing well?

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
It says a lot about how serious Fisher is......now factor in that he fired Williams son knowing he was going to be bringing him in. He's not freaking around. There is not a gram of fuckaroundness at Rams Park these days.

Sorry, didn't mean to respond. I first thought that new word was "fuckaroundass" and thought it was a reference to the cheerleaders. I was about to agree, then realized my error. Forget this ever happened.

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
While I don't think Cortland is great, I think his game was based on pressure and getting inside the head of the WR. When you play a soft D with a 10 yard cushion, you kill any chance he had to succeed.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
While I don't think Cortland is great, I think his game was based on pressure and getting inside the head of the WR. When you play a soft D with a 10 yard cushion, you kill any chance he had to succeed.
Good point. Guess we'll see how he does this season. Can't imagine him doing worse though.