Finnegan: Walton's Defensive System "Atrocious"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
### Cornerback Cortland Finnegan, trying to rebound from two disappointing seasons, looked good this offseason before sitting out last week to rest his knees.

One NFC front office executive said Finnegan has a good chance to rejuvenate his career here partly because he wasn't properly used by former Rams defensive coordinator Tim Walton, the ex-UM coordinator who was fired by the Rams after last season.

When I asked Finnegan about that last week, he said Walton’s defensive system was “atrocious. From the game plan to technique to fundamentals, they weren’t in line with a defensive coordinator who knew what he was doing. He was a great defensive backs coach, but when you're in over your head, it's kind of tough... Here coaches know to play guys to their strengths. I wish I had been here a long time ago. [Coordinator Kevin] Coyle is so good at dissecting offenses.”

After two disappointing seasons, does Finnegan, at 30, still have the same skill set he showed as a Pro Bowler for Tennessee six years ago? “It’s still there,” he said. “But until I prove it, we’ll never know.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...phins-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

RamzFanz

Damnit
Hard to disagree on his points but a bad defensive scheme doesn't explain all of his poor plays.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hard to disagree on his points but a bad defensive scheme doesn't explain all of his poor plays.

Maybe, maybe not. But it can certainly be a big reason why he struggled. Not to say I think he's still a great CB or anything but you put a guy in the wrong system with a DC that is in over his head and it's not hard to understand how he might struggle...especially when he's injured.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

He's right.
Agreed.
Some of the "blame" here lies on Fisher for hiring him though. However, Fisher also knew well enough to fire Walton in a timely, professional manner. Such is life. Nobody's perfect. Fisher obviously saw potential in Walton and gave him an opportunity. It didn't work out and the Fish corrected it.

Unlike the Steve Loney fiasco under Spags which was NOT how to solve a problem as a HC.
BTW, Loney is now an OLine assistant in Tampa Bay.

I think it's obvious to everyone that he's right (you don't get fired after 1 season if you're good) but it just seems like a lack of class to criticise Walton for his own bad play.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
I'm not defending Walton but come on man you were the worst player on the D. How come some of the other players didn't struggle as much as u did. Don't be bitter Cortland!

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
### Cornerback Cortland Finnegan, trying to rebound from two disappointing seasons, looked good this offseason before sitting out last week to rest his knees.

One NFC front office executive said Finnegan has a good chance to rejuvenate his career here partly because he wasn't properly used by former Rams defensive coordinator Tim Walton, the ex-UM coordinator who was fired by the Rams after last season.

When I asked Finnegan about that last week, he said Walton’s defensive system was “atrocious. From the game plan to technique to fundamentals, they weren’t in line with a defensive coordinator who knew what he was doing. He was a great defensive backs coach, but when you're in over your head, it's kind of tough... Here coaches know to play guys to their strengths. I wish I had been here a long time ago. [Coordinator Kevin] Coyle is so good at dissecting offenses.”

After two disappointing seasons, does Finnegan, at 30, still have the same skill set he showed as a Pro Bowler for Tennessee six years ago? “It’s still there,” he said. “But until I prove it, we’ll never know.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-buzz/2014/06/concerns-still-linger-for-dolphins-as-summer-begins-dolphins-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks RamBill! You save us hours of scouring the web looking for tidbits of info with all the great articles you post. I know I certainly appreciate it!
Seems like the vast majority of posters here already knew he stunk the place up, but it's nice to hear it from someone wha actually had to live with his system. Of course we all had to live with the results too, but it must have been tough to execute his system when everyone knew it stunk and it made you look bad in the process. Had to be a real morale sapper. Never heard one Ram say they enjoyed playing for him. Gregg? All I hear is players who would run through a wall for him and you can already feel the excitement of them about what's coming. This is going to be fun. Damn, it sure has been awhile since I could say that about our team. Feels good again. (y)

FRO

Legend
It's no wonder why the defense got much better once Fisher took over. Will only get better with Williams fully dedicated to the DC job. Our defense will be much better.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
It's no wonder why the defense got much better once Fisher took over. Will only get better with Williams fully dedicated to the DC job. Our defense will be much better.
If we had Gregg Williams last year instead of Walton, I bet we make the playoffs. That slow start with a terrible defense really killed our chances though.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Maybe, maybe not. But it can certainly be a big reason why he struggled. Not to say I think he's still a great CB or anything but you put a guy in the wrong system with a DC that is in over his head and it's not hard to understand how he might struggle...especially when he's injured.

Time will tell my friend. Let's get this season started already!

OldRock

Rookie
Name
Rocky
I'm not defending Walton but come on man you were the worst player on the D. How come some of the other players didn't struggle as much as u did. Don't be bitter Cortland!

Not defending Cort but you made me wonder, Did Janoris have a second year slump or was it the system? I hope it was the system, because that's in the past now. Who would have thought that the damn bountygate scandal would have set us back so far. Without that, I think we would have already had our first winning season in a long time. Oh well, the longer the drought, the sweeter the rain smells when it does come. I'm getting my umbrella ready!

Rams43

Hall of Fame

We need to be patient with the inevitable growing pains of the new GW defense. At least 2 new rookie starters (I'm counting Joyner at nickel as a starter) plus various other youngsters in the reported 30 odd "packages" that GW has installed.

Having said that, I feel certain that our '14 D will be light years ahead of the Walton version. Duh!

SierraRam

Recreational User
I think it's obvious to everyone that he's right (you don't get fired after 1 season if you're good) but it just seems like a lack of class to criticise Walton for his own bad play.

I'm starting to appreciate the guys who know exactly the same thing, but haven't talked about it. No excuses - move on.

Finnegan could be a great interview - I loved this one: Finnegan tried to shrug off durability concerns, saying he feels like a 1998 Honda Accord with a souped-up engine and air conditioning but no power windows.

I think the "soupep-up engine" part is a stretch

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not defending Cort but you made me wonder, Did Janoris have a second year slump or was it the system? I hope it was the system, because that's in the past now. Who would have thought that the damn bountygate scandal would have set us back so far. Without that, I think we would have already had our first winning season in a long time. Oh well, the longer the drought, the sweeter the rain smells when it does come. I'm getting my umbrella ready!
That's my curiosity as well. It sure looked to me that Janoris was being taken out of his game by the scheme. Guess we'll see. I'm looking for JJ to return to being a play maker and difference maker.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
A little shocking so why was Tim Walton even hired? Walton was a DC at the collegiate level and he was a secondary coach so the move to defensive coordinator should not have been a stretch. It was quite obvious he seemed to be over his head and I was one that thought they ushered out Blake Williams a tad too fast.

In the end Fisher took over the defense, but Jeff Fisher needs to realize his teams are far better off when a Williams is coordinated the defense!