Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I said back when Bradford got hurt that one of the reasons I felt sorry for his situation was that he finally had NFL ready talent on his football team, and now his backup (Hill) was going to look great playing with them. Along with all the "if only Bradford was more like Hill, look how much better we are" type stuff. The only thing I had wrong was the backups name. I like Austin Davis, and I think he can be a starter in the NFL. But there's no doubt in my mind that with Quick's breakout and schotty's improved playcalling that we'd be talking about Bradford going to the Pro Bowl this year.
That 1st drive against Cleveland in the preseason was a pretty incredible display. It was like watching brain surgery.

ausmurp

Starter
Based on stats and what we are seeing from him alone, he is having a better start to his career than Brady did. The Patriots accepted Brady for what he was in the beginning and built a team around him. If we do that with Davis we can be a playoff team.

Fact is, something none of us would've even guessed would be our biggest weakness in fact is - LBs. If our defense holds against Cowboys and Eagles, we win those games, are 4-2, and beat two Superbowl contenders. If that were the case we would all be saying Davis is the answer. So for those who aren't, most of you I think are basing your opinion on our defense, which isn't fair to Davis...

Rams offense is 13th and that is after being held to under 300 total yds by the Seahawks - it was higher before - close to top 10. Bradford has never even came close to providing good enough play to put the Rams offense in or near the top 10. Our passing offense is 11th right now after throwing for under 200 yds against the Seahawks - again Bradford never had us in this tier of offensive performance.

All I'm trying to point out here is that Davis is more likely the answer as a franchise QB than most of us think - and is more likely than Bradford to be a franchise QB.

ausmurp

Starter
Also we have to remember the Cook TD drop against Dallas all year. If Cook doesn't drop that, Davis has 4 TDs, and doesn't throw the pick 6 on the next drive. Also we probably win that game. So a silly drop like that takes our win away and Davis' stats down. Cook doesn't drop that we are 3-3 right now, and Davis doesn't throw either interception in that game so his stats are 11 TDs 2 INTs. Now that looks MUCH BETTER :)

ausmurp

Starter
Also Bradford never had back to back 3 TD games. In fact no Rams QB has since Warner.

And our WRs still aren't that good. Quick is better but seeing doubles now and is getting shut down, and the rest are struggling. We really need Britt to step up.

jjab360

Legend
Also Bradford never had back to back 3 TD games. In fact no Rams QB has since Warner.

And our WRs still aren't that good. Quick is better but seeing doubles now and is getting shut down, and the rest are struggling. We really need Britt to step up.
Bradford had back to back 3 TD games last year..

moklerman

Warner-phile
Bradford had back to back 3 TD games last year..
Yup, he just didn't have back to back 300 yard/3 TD games like Davis, who is the first to do that for the Rams since Warner. Which is what I bet the poster was thinking of.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Not sure why anyone feels the need to belittle Bradford to make a case for Davis. Both are Ram QBs.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Based on stats and what we are seeing from him alone, he is having a better start to his career than Brady did. The Patriots accepted Brady for what he was in the beginning and built a team around him. If we do that with Davis we can be a playoff team.

Fact is, something none of us would've even guessed would be our biggest weakness in fact is - LBs. If our defense holds against Cowboys and Eagles, we win those games, are 4-2, and beat two Superbowl contenders. If that were the case we would all be saying Davis is the answer. So for those who aren't, most of you I think are basing your opinion on our defense, which isn't fair to Davis...

Rams offense is 13th and that is after being held to under 300 total yds by the Seahawks - it was higher before - close to top 10. Bradford has never even came close to providing good enough play to put the Rams offense in or near the top 10. Our passing offense is 11th right now after throwing for under 200 yds against the Seahawks - again Bradford never had us in this tier of offensive performance.

All I'm trying to point out here is that Davis is more likely the answer as a franchise QB than most of us think - and is more likely than Bradford to be a franchise QB.

I will say this, Bradford would have taken some sacks against SEA. He can't scramble like Davis. That could have easily been enough to lose the game. Davis nearly flawless. Very impressive outing despite he only through 21 times and for 155 yards.

lockdnram21

Legend
Fact is, something none of us would've even guessed would be our biggest weakness in fact is - LBs. s
Me personally I admit I thought Ogletree was going to take the next step but imo Laurinaitis is not that good and every time I say something about it people say I'm tripping. Imo He is the most overrated player in our defense.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
- has a QB rating of 122.2 on 3rd downs
- has a QB rating of 117.5 in the red zone

Wow!

But this is Davis 3rd year in the league. I dont think for 1 second that if he played as a rookie, he'd be playing any where near this level

Aaron Rodgers sat behind Brett Favre until his third year as well. This is how QB's were handled for the most part back in the day. Today they throw them out there in year one and many of them are crushed physically and mentally because they're not properly prepared.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Me personally I admit I thought Ogletree was going to take the next step but imo Laurinaitis is not that good and every time I say something about it people say I'm tripping. Imo He is the most overrated player in our defense.

JL is a huge liability in pass coverage and seems to be slower this year than last year. His contract is well written so if he has to go or has to take a back up role he's not expensive, which is fine because he is so up and down.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
IMO it would be irresponsible for this FO to keep Bradford at his current contract even WITHOUT the Davis wrinkle in the mix. You can't pay a guy who still has not proven himself in the league and has been unavailable for half of the games he got paid for that much cheddar. It's foolhardy to tie up that kind of money because you can get a pro bowl player and a decent starter for less than that much.

How much better are the Rams if Davis doesn't improve but stays exactly as he is and they add a pro bowler and a solid starter at two areas of need versus the same roster with Bradford?

It's no contest and the decision IMO is pretty obvious.

Foolhardy yes. Irresponsible? To whom?

I guess it comes down to crunch time. Snead, Fisher and Demoffs need to make some tough decisions and will have to make as educated an pinion as possible. Things to consider-

-Can Sam ever return to form. Prognosis for double knee surgery
-Can they win playoff games with Davis
- Do they need to get a first round QB
-Is it even worth restructuring Bradford as opposed to releasing him
-What if we do release him and he does return to form for someone else

Fortunately they have the rest of the season to figure out what they think about Davis. Sam is probably a gamble not worth taking at this point. They don't have much behind Davis and still need to develop someone. Might as well be someone good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
JL is a huge liability in pass coverage and seems to be slower this year than last year. His contract is well written so if he has to go or has to take a back up role he's not expensive, which is fine because he is so up and down.

I agree. An upgrade at LBer is a big need and I hope the plan is not to move tree to the middle. His tackling skills suck and he gets caught up in traffic too easily. A guy like Kuechly would be great. Are there any coming up?

I wish the Rams had two more firsts last year. One for Mosely and one for Mack.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Not been an issue, but imagining Cooper (Alabama), Quick, Bailey and Austin as our WRs for the next few years, GSOT part 2 potential.

I have faith that Ogletree will figure it out, our DL will be fine once we get Long back. In terms of needs you're looking at C (Jones maybe?), FS and 3rd LB (and possibly LG if Robinson shifts to LT at some point) none of which require a first round pick.

They count all the same though.

The last time we saw a QB perform as well as Davis has the last 6 games? Sam Bradford 10/17/10-11/28/10: 135-210-1307-11-1-97.1
Ughh, I'm tired overpriced under-performing and oft-injured vets, other team's cast offs and UDFAs on the offensive line. That's what we've seen, it's all praying and hoping and watching the disaster unfold, and drafting another young wide receiver or a quarterback sounds like more of the same.

Truth is, we should spent a high pick on a center a couple of years ago, and I think we'll be looking at another veteran as a stop gap there out of necessity. I really think we'll see Long at LT again next year and so another year of Robinson at guard. But we still should spend another decent pick on an athletic guard. I'm sure they'll find a way to keep Barksdale, but I'm still not sold on him as a long terms solution if we really want the offensive line to be a strength of this team liked we do. Heck, seeing Greg Robinson last week just makes me wish we could spend a first round pick on the offensive line every year for the next 2 years. I wasn't aware that giants could move with that much grace and alacrity :)

I personally want them to re-sign Britt and I would be surprised if they didn't. We need a veteran presence at that position anyway with so many young players.

Ogletree has been the weakest link on defense, he just really has, and while I'm sure he'll get better, the coaches will make that happen, but it won't be immediate. When Laurinaitus was injured I was worried to say the least. We have the depth all across the defensive line, at corner and safety, but if a linebacker goes down, I seriously don't know if I can stomach the carnage.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Ughh, I'm tired overpriced under-performing and oft-injured vets, other team's cast offs and UDFAs on the offensive line. That's what we've seen, it's all praying and hoping and watching the disaster unfold, and drafting another young wide receiver or a quarterback sounds like more of the same.

That's why I think you have to go young. There are three options that I like in FA on the OL...Stefen Wisniewski from Oakland(Center), Orlando Franklin from Denver(Left Guard), and Clint Boling from Cincinnati(Left Guard). I like these three guys for a few reasons:
1. They're all young(between 25 and 27 years old)
2. They're all effective players but not elite which will keep them from being significantly overpaid
3. All are versatile players with the ability to play 3 different spots on the OL

I'd love Wisniewski but I think Oakland retains him. I don't think Denver can retain Franklin unless he gives them a discount. I think Cincy can afford Boling but he'll have an opportunity to shop around if he wants to.

I feel like we can go into next year with Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes vying for the starting Center spot if our other 4 OLs are strong enough. However, I'd love to get a good or elite Center if we can. I'm willing to spend a high pick if necessary but if there's a reasonably priced and young FA out there, I would be good with signing one.

I'd really love to go after some offensive skill players in this draft. In my opinion, the OL is more important but this draft has some amazing talents at offensive skill positions in the first round. It's definitely the strongest area of this draft.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Right.
Look at Seattle and San Fran. They've been able to stock up on talent becasue they are paying bargain basement price for QB.
The Rams have been the polar opposite of that.
In the last 14 starts by Clemens/Davis, the Rams are 6-8, with several of those losses due to defensive deficiency.
Doesnt need superstar QB, just needs game manager (Which so far Davis is doing)
Spend those valuable cap $$ elsewhere

Cowhd said this the other day and he is right.

"Peyton has a good day and Denver wins, Peyton has a bad day, Denver loses. JJWatts has a good day Houston loses, Watt has a bad day, and Houston loses."

The QB is the single most important player and the main one worth paying. Seattle and San Francisco got lucky. Maybe the Rams did too if Davis continues to develop and can become a franchise QB on the cheap for a few years.

But it doesnt last, Seattle and San Fran are on the decline and just started to pay their QBs what they are worth. They better keep drafting well because it will be increasingly more difficult for them to sign deals for an all star roster.

Regarding Game Managers-Game managers are not as successful in the NFL anymore. Every team needs more than that today. The days of Terry Bradshaw and Trent Dilfer are over. Alex Smith is a game manager. Who here thinks Smith can win a Superbowl?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's why I think you have to go young. There are three options that I like in FA on the OL...Stefen Wisniewski from Oakland(Center), Orlando Franklin from Denver(Left Guard), and Clint Boling from Cincinnati(Left Guard). I like these three guys for a few reasons:
1. They're all young(between 25 and 27 years old)
2. They're all effective players but not elite which will keep them from being significantly overpaid
3. All are versatile players with the ability to play 3 different spots on the OL

I'd love Wisniewski but I think Oakland retains him. I don't think Denver can retain Franklin unless he gives them a discount. I think Cincy can afford Boling but he'll have an opportunity to shop around if he wants to.

I feel like we can go into next year with Barrett Jones and Tim Barnes vying for the starting Center spot if our other 4 OLs are strong enough. However, I'd love to get a good or elite Center if we can. I'm willing to spend a high pick if necessary but if there's a reasonably priced and young FA out there, I would be good with signing one.

I'd really love to go after some offensive skill players in this draft. In my opinion, the OL is more important but this draft has some amazing talents at offensive skill positions in the first round. It's definitely the strongest area of this draft.

I would be estatic if the Rams inked Wisniewski. Then a guard in the draft for when GRob moves to OLT or insurance for Saffold, and they are set for a while. That would open them for BPA early in the draft again....preferably BPA is a Lber!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be estatic if the Rams inked Wisniewski. Then a guard in the draft for when GRob moves to OLT or insurance for Saffold, and they are set for a while. That would open them for BPA early in the draft again....preferably BPA is a Lber!

I don't see that happening.

I also think the Raiders are going to find a way to retain Wisniewski.

AZRamsFan93

I agree. An upgrade at LBer is a big need and I hope the plan is not to move tree to the middle. His tackling skills suck and he gets caught up in traffic too easily. A guy like Kuechly would be great. Are there any coming up?

I wish the Rams had two more firsts last year. One for Mosely and one for Mack.
I was a major proponent of choosing Mack at #2 overall. While Robinson while likely turn out to be good - how would Mack and Martin look on this team right now?