Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Farve would know. He saw Warner a few years before anyone else did......

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Wow, that's high praise. All the comparisons to Warner and Brees worried me at first, but they keep coming... maybe they're not so nuts?

jap

Legend
AD flashed impressive potential as an underrated rookie two years ago. Struggled with his execution for whatever reason last season (immature receivers?, dodgy OL?). Now he is growing in visible leaps & bounds with each game. He is showcasing accuracy that rivals Sam, although he could stand to muscle up his arms, shoulders, and overall body strength.

What's not to get excited about?

I strongly suspect if a healthy Sam was running this current team, we might be 5-1 or even 6-0. As it is, we have an emerging situation with this young kid that may heavily impact Sam's future with this franchise. The answers for the coaching brass will be more obvious as the season progresses.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hoping for the best with Mr. Davis! Love to see him take the team to the playoffs this year! Fresh kool aid here!

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If he learns to drop a long ball in the basket he'll be a top QB.
And I think he will. It is all about reps with the WRs, and he is getting more and more of them as we type these posts. No reason to think he will not continue to improve. Seems like a pretty smart kid to me....

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sorry if this has been posted before. I hadn't seen it...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Wow, that's high praise. All the comparisons to Warner and Brees worried me at first, but they keep coming... maybe they're not so nuts?
I think we'll find out, for sure, after we go through this 3 game road trip we're on!! A sweep would make-my-day!:D

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
No. Freakin. Way.

That's awesome praise. People love seeing Brette, he needs to be an analyst.

RamzFanz

Damnit
And I think he will. It is all about reps with the WRs, and he is getting more and more of them as we type these posts. No reason to think he will not continue to improve. Seems like a pretty smart kid to me....

It just seems to be mechanics which can be taught.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
My only fear moving forward with Davis is that he'll continue to just be good enough for us not to justify drafting a QB in the first, but not good enough for us to win the division. But, at this point, if he leads us to a winning season, there's not much more we can ask of him as fans. That's where the next step has to be taken for him to be a playoff QB.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I prefer that we stay with the run, but I think, this week, in KC, Davis's arm will make the difference in Winning and Losing this game!

moklerman

Warner-phile
I continue to wonder why so many are so unconvinced about Davis. I know it happens when a QB wasn't expected to do well like Nick Foles. But I don't think Davis is getting by on luck, scheme and personnel like Foles did in 2013. And I don't think he's being insulated or protected in the offense with just short passing or a lot of running.

The guy seems like the real deal and has played some very good ball. And again, he's making the Schotty offense work. I'd almost argue he should be an MVP candidate for that!

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
I strongly suspect if a healthy Sam was running this current team, we might be 5-1 or even 6-0 ....
Respectfully disagree. The games we lost has less to do with the output we received from the QB position than the underperforming defense for the first 5 games. Davis has definately not been our weak link. I doubt with Sam our record would be substantially different.

Jumava1968

Starter
Name
Jumava
Its been fun watching him and he's only going to get better as the year goes on.And the fact that were watching our young wide receivers get better right along with Davis makes it even better .Yes its still early and I know we've only seen a sample size but if that's any indication of how the future of the franchise is progressing and headed I can't wait to see the finished product.

fearsomefour

Legend
It just seems to be mechanics which can be taught.
Foot work can be improved and throwing mechanics can too....arm action is the hardest thing to change. The motion of the arm while throwing. This becomes pretty well engrained and is tough to change. This is still the thing that bothers me the most....although I couldnt care less with the accuracy he has displayed. He is long looping arm action has probably been addressed by coaches more than once....its just how he throws at this point. There are guys who dont have perfect action that do exceptionally well....Rivers for one.

fearsomefour

Legend
I continue to wonder why so many are so unconvinced about Davis. I know it happens when a QB wasn't expected to do well like Nick Foles. But I don't think Davis is getting by on luck, scheme and personnel like Foles did in 2013. And I don't think he's being insulated or protected in the offense with just short passing or a lot of running.

The guy seems like the real deal and has played some very good ball. And again, he's making the Schotty offense work. I'd almost argue he should be an MVP candidate for that!
I agree but it is still a very small sample size. For a team to say "this is the guy" going forward they need to be sure. They were so unsold on Davis he probably was going to have a hard time making the roster before the injuries. Maybe he is not a great practice player. Maybe the coaches cant spot talent.
The rest of this year, starting with this brutal 6 game stretch will go a long way toward determining his future as a starter or a back up. The team doesnt have win a bunch of these six games but Davis has to play well.
One huge thing you said is true. They are running the offense. It is not some abridged version to protect him (perhaps because the coaches believed in him, perhaps because they didnt care if he failed as there was no investment in him). His footwork has gotten better, he has calmed down and is confident. Last year he was overwhelmed. This year he knows the offense and is confident. Impossible to not pull for him.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
I think Brett actually fell out of his rocker. kid is absolutely playing out of his mind but idk if it's mechanics or if that's just his arm. ball has gotta come down and be tighter at times and idk if he has the heat to split defenders when it really counts. he played perfect Sunday all the way up to throwing it right at Sherman. a little 'dude wtf' moment there. guess we'll see. expect some more media coverage and interviews before the seasons up boys. imagine a win verse Denver. twice the media storm