Favre on Austin Davis: "He can be the next Brady or Warner"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'd love a great center to anchor this line - but you don't (or shouldn't) have to take acenter in the first round. Even if you think he's got first round talent and he's the guy you want to draft you should really trade back and pick him up later. That's what Dallas should have done when they drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st. Yeah he's real good but they could have got him in the 3rd because teams don't usually put much of a premium on them!

Third round? That's wild

cgsuddeath

Rookie
Name
cgsuddeath
People need to wait for the next 4 games before they crown anyone.The SF sticks out in my mind so lets just wait and see.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Chad Pennington was a great QB before he destroyed his shoulder and severely injured his non-throwing hand/wrist. The fact that he came back from that and still managed to play solid football with no arm strength at all speaks to how great he could have been.
Chad's a super smart guy. Very impressed with him, during & post playing days.

everyone here already know where I stand on AD. ITYS. :)

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
"I'd love a great center to anchor this line - but you don't (or shouldn't) have to take acenter in the first round. Even if you think he's got first round talent and he's the guy you want to draft you should really trade back and pick him up later. That's what Dallas should have done when they drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st. Yeah he's real good but they could have got him in the 3rd because teams don't usually put much of a premium on them!"

Spags, is that you?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I find it surprising how many of us still have reservations on Davis. He is a different type QB than Bradford, in that he has strengths that Sam doesn't have. He is a starting level talent in the NFL, there is no doubt of that in my mind. The only question is can he be a top ten QB.

Sam has the better arm. Sam throws a more accurate ball, in straight terms of ball placement. Sam probably knows the offense better. Sam is more careful and patient in terms of checking down too, and that has burned Davis in the INTs he has suffered when pushing too much. Sam has better general mechanics too, particularly footwork and whatnot.

Where I think AD is better than Sam?

His ability to feel the rush and reposition to give himself time, for starters. He is very underrated around here IMO in regards to that.

His general calmness. I think Sam is easier to rattle, AD has a more tenacious personality in that way judging purely from body language when things aren't going well.

His touch on passes. Go back and look at that pass to Givens against Seattle. That ball was floated on a flat trajectory, like an apple hanging from a tree that Givens could just snag out of the air. Or the deep ball to Quick vs Dallas. That pass, btw, was the one that made me say to myself "Holy $h!*" this kid can play. He throws a catchable ball and it shows in drop rates.

His release point. This isn't talked about much with regards to QBs and AD gets flak about footwork and mechanics but I love how high his release point is, that is something that is actually a strength in his game.

His boldness in decision making. The same thing that is a weakness in comparison against Sam is also a strength. He takes shots that Sam will just not take. The question here is can he start limiting the INTs? His performance against the Seahawks give me a lot of hope that yes he will as he continues to develop.

Lastly, we're comparing Sam, who is a veteran high draft pick, to him. That is a strength for AD in and of itself because he should get better.

Bottom line is we should be forming an effin conga line over how this kid is playing. I'm proud of him and hope he keeps it up. I think he will.

TXRams86

The Infamous
i respect Favre's comments on Davis but one has to believe that he's hyping up a fellow Golden Eagle.
not to say i don't agree with the guy because i whole-heartedly do.
the one thing i can say about Davis and this offense is that i BELIEVE in it.
with Bradford at the helm, i almost always expected a 3 and out.
not a knock on Bradford per se, but i just didn't have much confidence in the offensive unit as a whole under his command.
Davis goes in there, commands his troops and gets shit DONE.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Austin Davis won't be the next Kurt Warner or Tom Brady. He's the original Austin Davis, and he doesn't need to be anyone else. And as far as I'm concerned, we have our quarterback for now and the future.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
I agree. This is a by product of being a young inexperienced player. I think overall he does a pretty good job of going through reads though. Light years ahead of someone like Geno Smith who was drafted with a fair amount of hype.
I agree ... and if our Defense hadn't put him into such bad positions late in games... his Int #'s would probably be a lot different

I'll say this one more time.. I've said it last year when telling people he should play over Clemens.. I've said it prior to him going to Southern Miss.. I've tried to tell it to Sylvester Croom (Miss. State head coach at time) when he was being recruited.. Austin Davis is a gamer and competitor.. He may not wow you with impressive NFL combine results, throwing a ball 90 MPH, or running a 4.3 40 yard dash.. but the kid has the IT factor. He has the competitive drive and leadership to correct his mistakes and put his team in the best position to win. Austin is the complete team player and a great leader and role model.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'd love a great center to anchor this line - but you don't (or shouldn't) have to take acenter in the first round. Even if you think he's got first round talent and he's the guy you want to draft you should really trade back and pick him up later. That's what Dallas should have done when they drafted Travis Frederick in the 1st. Yeah he's real good but they could have got him in the 3rd because teams don't usually put much of a premium on them!

Totally disagree

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope that Davis continues to grow and convinces everyone that he can be the starter in the coming years then I hope he hits the weight room a bit more.

There was an article posted here about MCL/ACL surgical repairs and while the stats on one repair had good outcomes, repair number 2 was not so promising.

If Davis is good enough it could alleviate the need for the Rams to force a first round QB pick. It could also give Bradford more time to heal (into next season) and then create a true QB competition. I wouldn't mind at all if Davis' play was so good that it relegated Sam to the backup QB role for next year.

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
who is Davies? LOL and don't you find it the least bit coincidental that the game that Davis decides to not bail on the pocket at the first sign of perceived pressure, that the oline suddenly doesn't give up a sack?
Yes the QB is partly to blame as well, but obviously there's less pressure in the first place if Joseph isn't on the field

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Austin Davis won't be the next Kurt Warner or Tom Brady. He's the original Austin Davis, and he doesn't need to be anyone else. And as far as I'm concerned, we have our quarterback for now and the future.

Agree 100000%

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
Not me. It is always a balance of talent and cost. Even if Austin Davis continues to be the guy, then we still need to pick a QB high in the draft. The position is too important to rely just on Austin Davis, Sam Bradford is too expensive for the demonstrated health risk, and Shaun Hill is not in the future plans. If we pick a guy high and Davis becomes the next Brett Favre or Kurt Warner, then we will be able to trade that young QB to a QB needy team when the time is best.

It is not possible to have too much talent in your QB position.
That's true, but what if Davis improves his level, as he has done these last games, and he starts to look real good?
Personally, I'd love to use that first rounder on a LB and draft a centre and a guard in round 2 and 3. Protect the hell out of him, commit to the run game with mason. Winning formula

AZRamsFan93

I hope that Davis continues to grow and convinces everyone that he can be the starter in the coming years then I hope he hits the weight room a bit more.

There was an article posted here about MCL/ACL surgical repairs and while the stats on one repair had good outcomes, repair number 2 was not so promising.

If Davis is good enough it could alleviate the need for the Rams to force a first round QB pick. It could also give Bradford more time to heal (into next season) and then create a true QB competition. I wouldn't mind at all if Davis' play was so good that it relegated Sam to the backup QB role for next year.
$16.5M is a lot of coin for a backup QB with a glass knee.

AZRamsFan93

That's true, but what if Davis improves his level, as he has done these last games, and he starts to look real good?
Personally, I'd love to use that first rounder on a LB and draft a centre and a guard in round 2 and 3. Protect the hell out of him, commit to the run game with mason. Winning formula
What if Davis gets hurt?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
$16.5M is a lot of coin for a backup QB with a glass knee.

I don't see where it matters if your starter isn't getting paid the same. It would be security in case Sam did come back healthy. However I doubt he would ever be the same and wouldn't care if the Rams parted ways with him. If he is not looking good enough by the next draft then the Rams should invest in another QB at some point because Hill is a bit old.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't see where it matters if your starter isn't getting paid the same. It would be security in case Sam did come back healthy. However I doubt he would ever be the same and wouldn't care if the Rams parted ways with him. If he is not looking good enough by the next draft then the Rams should invest in another QB at some point because Hill is a bit old.

IMO it would be irresponsible for this FO to keep Bradford at his current contract even WITHOUT the Davis wrinkle in the mix. You can't pay a guy who still has not proven himself in the league and has been unavailable for half of the games he got paid for that much cheddar. It's foolhardy to tie up that kind of money because you can get a pro bowl player and a decent starter for less than that much.

How much better are the Rams if Davis doesn't improve but stays exactly as he is and they add a pro bowler and a solid starter at two areas of need versus the same roster with Bradford?

It's no contest and the decision IMO is pretty obvious.