Faulk needs to be our O Coordinator.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ShaneFalco

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know that Faulk has ever sought the job.

Furthermore, you can't pin yesterday's loss on Schotty, he called a pretty decent game (and I say this as someone who's been critical of him). Our OL suckage is not on him, it's on the 5 guys lining up. What offensive problems we had yesterday were mostly on them.
hard to be on them when there is only 5 of them and the defense blitzes 6, and we have no back in the backfield to help.

Philly5

Rookie
Yuck. Great player. Period. The talk of him being a GM or Coach is crazy. Just listen to his nonsense on NFLN.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
hard to be on them when there is only 5 of them and the defense blitzes 6, and we have no back in the backfield to help.

We have other guys that are responsible for blitz pickup as well.

You simply can't excuse the play of the OL in the first half and well into the 2nd half yesterday and then try to turn around and pin this on Schotty.

ShaneFalco

He hasnt been a coach/coordinator at any level that I'm aware of. I thought the discussion was involving former players who were/werent succesful as OC.
i was more talking about just bringing him in to be apart of the organization and giving him his choice of what to do. What he thinks he would be best at.

Most people who played with Faulk, all called him a coordinator on the field, so thats why i said o coordinator. But im sure he could do some great work anywhere in our FO.

ShaneFalco

Going out on a limb here, but I don't think he's going to give up his job as Broncos GM to become Rams OC.
you misunderstand what i am saying.

Broncos brought in Elway because he was a great player with a great mind for football. The same could be said for Faulk, Warner, even Bruce. I dont get why the Rams want nothing to do with them. Maybe they do and they just wont accept it... But i would like to see Faulk as OC.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

They were mostly bringing 5 guys. The OL wasn't sliding the protection to pick-up the blitzes effectively. I don't know if that's Davis's responsibility or Wells's in this offense but whoever was responsible for calling protections did a poor job of diagnosing where the blitzers were coming from. Multiple times in that game, the Rams had enough people to pick-up the blitz but their OL slid the wrong way or did not slide at all to account for the pressure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
you misunderstand what i am saying.

Broncos brought in Elway because he was a great player with a great mind for football. The same could be said for Faulk, Warner, even Bruce. I dont get why the Rams want nothing to do with them. Maybe they do and they just wont accept it... But i would like to see Faulk as OC.

As I wrote above, I don't know that Faulk has ever sought such a position. It seems like he's pretty comfy sitting at his desk in front of the camera at the NFL Network. And being a great football mind on the field doesn't always translate into being a great coach, be it coordinator, head coach, or whatever.

And also, I just don't know why we are focusing on the OC at all when, in our last two games, our former 3rd string QB has thrown for about 800 yards and 6 TD's while our offense has put up 31 and 28 points, respectively.

There have been times in the past where it's fair to ride Schotty's tail. But getting results like this in consecutive games is not one of those times.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I for one, would bet my entire savings and house, that Faulk as O Coordinator would cause the Rams to win more games, then Shotty ever could.

I dont understand why Faulk has never been given this chance. Maybe he is happy with his Gameday crew on NFL Network, i dont know. But he was a O coordinator when he was playing. He has more football knowledge then most coaches. Quoting Rich Eisen " Faulk knows football like, if you dropped a bunch of toothpicks on the floor, he could name how many there were in seconds."

Thoughts?
Maybe he's waiting until the Rams' head coaching spot opens up.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
If I'm not mistaken, Faulk has said, when he was asked about coach, It's too many hours of work, per day, for his liking!
that was going to be my point - plus I'm sure his NFL Network and other broadcasting gigs pay pretty well, are performed in an AC environment, and done in a suit!
Those NFL analyst jobs are pretty sweet. I don't know why people speculate that those guys are going to go into coaching. They can make just as much, if not more money, with the analyst job and endorsements than they could coaching. They also have more free time. It's pretty much a great job. Not to mention they take less criticism.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Over the past 2 years we have gotten some pretty good QB play. Bradford was having a career year before getting hurt. Clemens filled in nicely last year completing over 58% of his passes and throwing more TD's than INT, something he had never done before. Now Austin Davis is thriving.......Hard to blame Shotty for anything right now. Not really thinking he is the problem here.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
if we need to replace anybody it's a DC not the OC right now......1 sack...............................................:fighting:

Speeps

Starter
This may sound crazy, but I think offensively we're trying to do too much, and we're out thinking ourselves. Let me explain please:

-Zac Stacy did not take the first carry yesterday, Trey Watts did. Why?

-Zac Stacy is sharing the ball way too much with his counterparts. Stacy is the kind of back that gets better as the game goes on. Schotty has a tendancy to give Zac 2 carries, then cunnigham gets 2, then Watts get 1, then the cycle repeats itself. A change a pace back is supposed to be exactly that, change of pace. Problem is, we aren't establishing a pace with Stacy.

-Schotty loves to play with his WR groupings. Thats fine, however, I question how he uses them. Why when we were in the redzone was Tavon Austin, and Stedman Bailey stacked? In the redzone shouldn't we utilize our size? Quick, Britt, Cook?

- Austin would do wonders as a slot receiver with Quick and Britt in the game. I'm not sure they have utilized that formation enough.

With that said, Schotty's offense seems to be working, but I just think it needs some minor tweaking. Stacy is the guy treat him as such. Tavon needs to be involved, he'll elevate the offense, we're not using him enough.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I heard Faulk say that he doesn't want to go through what it takes to be a coach as well. He would at the least a great running backs coach as he knows what it takes to be a great player.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
They were mostly bringing 5 guys. The OL wasn't sliding the protection to pick-up the blitzes effectively. I don't know if that's Davis's responsibility or Wells's in this offense but whoever was responsible for calling protections did a poor job of diagnosing where the blitzers were coming from. Multiple times in that game, the Rams had enough people to pick-up the blitz but their OL slid the wrong way or did not slide at all to account for the pressure.

Jrry I agree with what your saying and I'd bet big coin that the protection calls are coming from Wells, I can't see the staff giving that to Davis. We know that Bradford didn't make the calls so why would Davis?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I for one, would bet my entire savings and house, that Faulk as O Coordinator would cause the Rams to win more games, then Shotty ever could.

I dont understand why Faulk has never been given this chance. Maybe he is happy with his Gameday crew on NFL Network, i dont know. But he was a O coordinator when he was playing. He has more football knowledge then most coaches. Quoting Rich Eisen " Faulk knows football like, if you dropped a bunch of toothpicks on the floor, he could name how many there were in seconds."

Thoughts?
My thought is that if Faulk wanted to coach he either would be or he is not as strategically brilliant as he is quick to recognize per your quote. Great players rarely make great coaches. They get frustrated way to easily when players can't match their athleticism, awareness, and drive to be the best. Ask Magic Johnson.