Ethan Westbrooks Arrested

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey

I always wonder, when someone is pulled over for speeding, how do police find a gun unregistered to them? Is it sitting on the seat? Out in the open? Or do the cops just decide, "I'm gonna search this car?"

Because I've been pulled over for speeding (although not in a long time), and if I had had a gun in the car, it would never have been known, and the cops just write a ticket and walk away.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
IMG_0099.PNG

The sad reality for Westbrooks is when you have a tattoo on your face, you are probably more likely to be subjected to a vehicle search.

pididdy

UDFA
Name
Paul
K. Langford was recently released by the Saints....not performance related

Todd59

Rookie
View attachment 21797

The sad reality for Westbrooks is when you have a tattoo on your face, you are probably more likely to be subjected to a vehicle search.

A face tattoo, although questionable, is not a reason for probable cause to search the car. He either consented to a search (which is dumb if he knew about the gun), had the gun in plain view, or was doing something else that allowed the police to get a warrant to search (smell of marijuana perhaps?). I wouldn't think this is a big enough deal to cut him, but I always wonder why players with so much to lose do such stupid things.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What a tool. Hopefully it was just him not having his paperwork or something along those lines. I guess we'll find out in the next 24 hours

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I always wonder, when someone is pulled over for speeding, how do police find a gun unregistered to them? Is it sitting on the seat? Out in the open? Or do the cops just decide, "I'm gonna search this car?"

Because I've been pulled over for speeding (although not in a long time), and if I had had a gun in the car, it would never have been known, and the cops just write a ticket and walk away.
It's possible it was out in the open, or the officer saw it in the glove box when Westbrooks went to get his registration. He could've told the officer that he was in possession of a gun registered or unregistered. Or it's possible that he was doing something to arouse suspicion. And one I'm not going to touch:whistle:

Yeah, the 2-3 times in my life that I've been pulled over/been involved in a pull over I've never been searched or had the car searched. Though one time the officer definitely knew that we were high and had an easy arrest, but he decided to let us go on a warning.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
A face tattoo, although questionable, is not a reason for probable cause to search the car. He either consented to a search (which is dumb if he knew about the gun), had the gun in plain view, or was doing something else that allowed the police to get a warrant to search (smell of marijuana perhaps?). I wouldn't think this is a big enough deal to cut him, but I always wonder why players with so much to lose do such stupid things.
Marijuana smell shouldn't be a reason to search someone's car in a state where recreational use is legal.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess we'll find out in the next 24 hours
Yup.

Interesting life he's led:
(from the article on possible domestic abuse):
* (the woman is the) mother of one of Westbrooks' children.

* Westbrooks has three children, all with different mothers. He has been locked in continual custody battles with the mothers of his two youngest children, a 2-year-old girl and a boy who is younger.

* Now a gun?

Fun just seems to follow him around like a shadow on a sunny day.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Marijuana smell shouldn't be a reason to search someone's car in a state where recreational use is legal.
Is it legal to use while driving or drive right after using? Just curious because I know in Nevada it's treated the same as alchohol.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler

Certainly, taken alone the facial tattoo does not give probable cause. I am not familiar with California traffic laws but, where I am from, being pulled over for a traffic infraction is all the probable cause necessary to permit a vehicle search. All a cop needs to cite is suspicious behavior which is a matter of opinion in most cases.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Is it legal to use while driving or drive right after using? Just curious because I know in Nevada it's treated the same as alchohol.

you're correct, it's the same as drinking and driving. If they smell it in your car they can absolutely search your vehicle. I think it's called probable cause.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Cops here in Calif. can always make something up for "PC" and search your car. A Black man with a face tattoo driving through Bakersfield (high gang activity) in a nice car will draw cops attention.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Maybe he was honest and told the officer that there was a gun in the car, because he didnt want to escalate the situation. It is better to go to jail for a couple few hours than it is to get shot in a misunderstanding. If you do not consent to a search, you will be detained until a K9 makes a pass around your car. And then if the K9 hits on something they are gonna search it anyways, then find whatever you didnt want them to find when you did consent to a search, and then your chance of a couple few hours in jail becomes days, weeks or months maybe more.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

It is probable cause, you can smoke it, but you cant smoke it while or before driving. .

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
Seriously? So, with your reasoning, should the smell of tequila not be a reason to search someone's car, either? This state may have gone lax on pot-heads, but it doesn't give them the right to do a Taco Bell run when they get the munchies. Impairment is impairment. Changing the marijuana law doesn't change the law about driving requirements.

But you can certainly post on ROD when high. (y)

manmaderam

The one and only
This may be an unpopular opinion, BUT......I say cut him now, at least till he can get his crap straightened up. I don't think he's gonna be missed much if we did that, just like the Nelson Spruce train and we can get some cap back I assume to find a better replacement

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Seriously? So, with your reasoning, should the smell of tequila not be a reason to search someone's car, either? This state may have gone lax on pot-heads, but it doesn't give them the right to do a Taco Bell run when they get the munchies. Impairment is impairment. Changing the marijuana law doesn't change the law about driving requirements.

But you can certainly post on ROD when high. (y)
My expectation is that the smell of tequila warrants a roadside sobriety test, not a search of a car. I may be wrong. I always was under the impression that marijuana smell being probable cause was solely related to the search for illegal marijuana.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I've been pulled over and ordered out with guns drawn on me, I was pretty sure it wasnt just for the joint we were smoking. Once they had us out of the car they wanted to check my trunk, as my car matched the description of a car involved in a burglary. I said sure and as I started to stand up, I was reminded to stay on the ground. They checked it, it didnt contain what they were looking for so we were free to return to work.