ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith suggests racism in Chip Kelly’s roster moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
Steven D-Bag Smith backs up his comments?

What a POS.

Gotta love screaming racism without actually screaming racism. That kind of shit can ruin reps.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think you're making Steven A's point right there....Was not what Riley Cooper yelled that night gangster-ish? If so, why is he still on the team? Is he better at hiding his gangster-ism? Has he changed? Is it only lower-paid gangters he doesnt't have a problem with? I don't thing the thug/gangster thing flies...I think it's contracts and then the players themselves....because, while I don't really know what cause the release of Desean, the McCoy & Maclin thing is confusing because all the reports say these were solid individuals...
As a comparison, look at our Rams, our highest paid players are in many respects, under-performing...Hell, if Sam, JL, CL, Quinn & others were playing like Shady, Mac, and D-Jax and then were released most would be up in arms...
Lets just sit back and see what happens to Chip's ship...Guarantee it won't be a happy ending.

First of all, by several accounts DeSean Jackson was not a "solid individual". He was widely considered to be a distraction. But let's put that aside for a minute...

Jackson was owed $10 million - some may argue he's worth it, but for the sake of this argument, let's say that a $10 million WR must be a top 10 WR. Jackson could not be considered that IMO.

McCoy - RB owed $11 million. Most fans wouldn't want their team to spend that much on any RB.

Maclin - got nearly $10 million - he got way more than he's worth.

The funny thing too about Jackson and Maclin is that, Maclin showed why Jackson was dispensable, and in doing so showed he was too - they will plug and play another WR in that offense and they will shine. Both of those guys best years came with Chip.

So this couldn't possibly be the most obvious thing - that these players were overpaid?? Jackson and Maclin are different from McCoy in that they have NOT produced every year - they come with a risk, whether it be injury or off the field issues. Anyone baffled by Jackson and Maclin not being retained by Chip Kelly is just looking for a reason to be upset IMO, as it's quite obvious.

McCoy - top 5 RB, but the beginning of last year wasn't pretty, and IMO it showed why you simply don't pay a RB that much money - it's all about money vs. production, and my guess to why Cooper is still on the team is because he comes much cheaper. It's actually ironic because the racist comment by Cooper would probably make him cheaper, as other teams likely wouldn't want to deal with that lingering issue, and thus makes him more likely to remain on the Eagles long term.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
First of all, by several accounts DeSean Jackson was not a "solid individual". He was widely considered to be a distraction. But let's put that aside for a minute...

Jackson was owed $10 million - some may argue he's worth it, but for the sake of this argument, let's say that a $10 million WR must be a top 10 WR. Jackson could not be considered that IMO.

McCoy - RB owed $11 million. Most fans wouldn't want their team to spend that much on any RB.

Maclin - got nearly $10 million - he got way more than he's worth.

The funny thing too about Jackson and Maclin is that, Maclin showed why Jackson was dispensable, and in doing so showed he was too - they will plug and play another WR in that offense and they will shine. Both of those guys best years came with Chip.

So this couldn't possibly be the most obvious thing - that these players were overpaid?? Jackson and Maclin are different from McCoy in that they have NOT produced every year - they come with a risk, whether it be injury or off the field issues. Anyone baffled by Jackson and Maclin not being retained by Chip Kelly is just looking for a reason to be upset IMO, as it's quite obvious.

McCoy - top 5 RB, but the beginning of last year wasn't pretty, and IMO it showed why you simply don't pay a RB that much money - it's all about money vs. production, and my guess to why Cooper is still on the team is because he comes much cheaper. It's actually ironic because the racist comment by Cooper would probably make him cheaper, as other teams likely wouldn't want to deal with that lingering issue, and thus makes him more likely to remain on the Eagles long term.

Exactly. It seems pretty clear to me that he is not willing to spend big money on guys. People trying to find racism in these moves are reaching. If those guys were white and making those same contracts, they would be gone too.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Still lots more work to do... and it will never be eliminated IMO. Got to keep working at it every day... every person.
Y'know - maybe it's just me but I have to wonder what would happen if the Jessie Jacksons, Sharptons, Spike Lees, Stephen As, didn't work so hard to promote themselves as freedom fighters. Maybe the answer is not trying but just not caring about skin color. Ignore all of these fucks and cast them aside with the David Dukes of the world. Screw all the racist bastards no matter where they hail from or what ethnicity they claim. I am so tired of being forced to care.

I understand that racism still exists. I get it. But what concerns me most is that I hear far more racist crap from young people than I do my age. My dad grew up in racist surroundings yet he would never allow it in our house. When I was growing up in LA and then later in very rural Atascadero, no one gave two shits about race. Now it seems we have such access to people making a career on race through the internet and a bazillion channels out there that my fear is it is only getting worse.

Am I the only one thinking these guys are turning our youth into the racists the baby boomers fought to overcome? I dunno. But it doesn't take much intelligence to use the race card - especially if there isn't racism involved.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-chip-kelly-got-rid-of-all-the-black-players/

LeSean McCoy: Chip Kelly got rid of “all the good black players”
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 6, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwe0owyxmzfhytc0mmrlzje1odu2mgq1m2yyogqwzjvl-e1426860218750.jpeg
Getty Images

Bills running back LeSean McCoy isn’t backing down from the idea that he and Eagles coach Chip Kelly’s relationship is the reason for his departure, saying Kelly didn’t like or respect stars.

And he doubled down on those comments by making a serious allegation.

In an interview with ESPN the Magazine, McCoy said Kelly was uncomfortable with him, with an uncomfortable reason for it.

“The relationship was never really great,” McCoy said. “I feel like I always respected him as a coach. I think that’s the way he runs his team. He wants the full control. You see how fast he got rid of all the good players. Especially all the good black players. He got rid of them the fastest. That’s the truth. There’s a reason. . . .

“It’s hard to explain with him. But there’s a reason he got rid of all the black players — the good ones — like that.”

McCoy didn’t elaborate, and the Eagles didn’t comment on the statement, which they’re inevitably going to have to do.

McCoy’s statements track along with the accusation/non-accusation of ESPN talker Stephen A. Smith in March, who suggested the same sinister motive.

Kelly’s approach to running off stars seems color-blind, considering the way he openly taunted guard Evan Mathis last weekend, saying no one has offered to trade for him in two years.

But clearly, McCoy has a problem with Kelly that goes beyond skin deep.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-chip-kelly-got-rid-of-all-the-black-players/

LeSean McCoy: Chip Kelly got rid of “all the good black players”
Posted by Darin Gantt on May 6, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwe0owyxmzfhytc0mmrlzje1odu2mgq1m2yyogqwzjvl-e1426860218750.jpeg
Getty Images

Bills running back LeSean McCoy isn’t backing down from the idea that he and Eagles coach Chip Kelly’s relationship is the reason for his departure, saying Kelly didn’t like or respect stars.

And he doubled down on those comments by making a serious allegation.

In an interview with ESPN the Magazine, McCoy said Kelly was uncomfortable with him, with an uncomfortable reason for it.

“The relationship was never really great,” McCoy said. “I feel like I always respected him as a coach. I think that’s the way he runs his team. He wants the full control. You see how fast he got rid of all the good players. Especially all the good black players. He got rid of them the fastest. That’s the truth. There’s a reason. . . .

“It’s hard to explain with him. But there’s a reason he got rid of all the black players — the good ones — like that.”

McCoy didn’t elaborate, and the Eagles didn’t comment on the statement, which they’re inevitably going to have to do.

McCoy’s statements track along with the accusation/non-accusation of ESPN talker Stephen A. Smith in March, who suggested the same sinister motive.

Kelly’s approach to running off stars seems color-blind, considering the way he openly taunted guard Evan Mathis last weekend, saying no one has offered to trade for him in two years.

But clearly, McCoy has a problem with Kelly that goes beyond skin deep.

Still don't get this. Philadelphia also got rid of Foles who you can argue was a star also in 2013....just saying.

Sounds like Shady needs to move on already.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
This is what upsets me. Racism shouldn't even be an issue in the sports world period!. But you got one knucklehead to say the wrong thing and here we go. This dude is a tool.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I doubt that Chip Kelly is a racist. But nobody can deny that he's a complete dick with some sort of major Napoleon complex. He reminds me of an offensive-minded Spags.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still don't get this. Philadelphia also got rid of Foles who you can argue was a star also in 2013....just saying.

Yeah.. for another white player!
(note color of text above!!)

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Chip Kelly is just a tool, not racist. Just an tool who thinks he doesn't need the players who made him to be successful. We'll see this reason if he's a smart too, or a dumb tool.

But now, there's further cementing that both SAS and McCoy are DUMB tools. Crying racism just to lash out at somebody and have something to talk about is one of the most pathetic things I constantly see. Doesn't McCoy have some waitress he could be shortchanging instead?

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yeah.. for another white player!
(note color of text above!!)

Technically, Bradford is a Native American player (1/16th Cherokee). Whom he's probably going to try to cut anyway.

OMG, Chip Kelly is a racist against everyone!

MrMotes

Starter

I certainly don't agree with LeSean but he isn't saying Kelly only got rid of Black players.

The real story here is we got a star in Foles and i guess Bradford doesn't intimidate Kelly...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Technically, Bradford is a Native American player (1/16th Cherokee). Whom he's probably going to try to cut anyway.

OMG, Chip Kelly is a racist against everyone!
So, the question must be asked...

If you treat all ethnicities equally bad, are you a racist?

Questions of the universe...

beej

Rookie
seems like what he is saying is that Kelley is predjudiced. but not against just any black person just the athletic ones who can help win football games. OK! I'm buying that!

Memento

Name
Jemma
So, the question must be asked...

If you treat all ethnicities equally bad, are you a racist?

Questions of the universe...

Maybe...but Kelly is certainly a racist against everyone other than himself...and maybe Riley Cooper. ;)