ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith suggests racism in Chip Kelly’s roster moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-suggests-racism-in-chip-kellys-roster-moves/

ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith suggests racism in Chip Kelly’s roster moves
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 9, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptnjmtrkzdi4njlhode2ngm1ztgwoty2owuxnzi2ymnl.jpeg
Getty Images

Stephen A. Smith is too smart to come right out and call Chip Kelly a racist. Smith knows that an accusation like that would require evidence, and Smith has none.

So what Smith did on ESPN First Take today is he merely implied that Kelly is a racist, going over a selection of Kelly’s recent roster moves and then hinting that Kelly might not want black players in his locker room.

“Chip Kelly makes decisions over the last couple of years that, dare I say, leave a few brothers feeling uncomfortable,” Smith said. “I think that’s fair to say. I mean, we’re sitting here looking at some of the decisions that Chip Kelly makes and I’m like what is up? What’s up with that? I mean, it’s like you’ve got to be his kind of guy, you know? And I’m like, well, Riley Cooper’s your kind of guy?”

By mentioning Cooper, Smith was implying that Kelly is OK with the fact that Cooper used the N-word in a much-publicized video in 2013. The truth is Kelly was not OK with that; the Eagles fined Cooper and sent him home from training camp. But Cooper’s continued presence on the team — combined with the release of a few high-profile black players — makes Smith question Kelly’s motives. According to Smith, Kelly isn’t only looking for players who fit into his system on the field. Kelly is also looking for players who fit into the culture that Kelly wants in his locker room, and Smith questions what kind of culture that is.

“Let’s get beyond the system, the operative word is ‘culture,'” Smith said. “The culture is what resonates with me more profoundly because I’m looking at a Chip Kelly and I’m like, really? Now, you’ve got to remember, where did I work for 16 years? I mean, this is Philadelphia. You understand what I’m saying? I’m always in Philly, and I’m telling you right now you’ve got people walking the streets and, hell with it, you’ve got brothers walking the streets going like ‘What’s up with Chip? I don’t understand this. I really don’t understand what you’re doing.’ Now I’m not saying I know, I’m just saying that it does strike me as a tad bit odd. I’m going to repeat this. Gone: LeSean McCoy, Jeremy Maclin, you know, DeSean Jackson. Staying: Riley Cooper. Really? Really? OK.”

Kelly has made dozens of personnel decisions with the Eagles, but Smith seems to see sinister motives in three of them: trading McCoy, letting Maclin walk away in free agency, and releasing Jackson. Smith, of course, failed to mention some of the white veterans Kelly has released, like James Casey and Todd Herremans, because that would undermine Smith’s thesis.

Smith also failed to mention that the player Kelly acquired in the McCoy trade, Kiko Alonso, is Latino. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly just signed to a new contract, Mark Sanchez, is of Mexican-American heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the quarterback Kelly desperately wants to draft, Marcus Mariota, is of Samoan heritage. And Smith fails to mention that the cornerback Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Byron Maxwell, is black. And Smith fails to mention that the running back Kelly is expected to sign when free agency opens tomorrow, Frank Gore, is black. If Kelly is a racist who wants to build a roster full of white guys, he’s doing a spectacularly bad job of it.

But, again, Smith didn’t say Kelly is a racist. Smith knows that a serious accusation like that would require serious evidence. And Smith has none.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
A local sports radio station use to air his radio show here in so cal.
Smith was generally bright and opened minded.
His TV career, on the other hand, is much different. He's constantly going for the "shock jock" routine. Apparently, all publicity truly is good publicity to some.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I do not see racism in Kelly's moves. I think it's a real stretch to proclaim racism or search for it so hard. Not everything that involves different races is racism.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Wait, so the guy that added an aging Frank Gore and gave big money to Byron Maxwell is a racist?

Mmmmkay.

Athos

Legend
Smith cries foul yearly for something or someone being racist. It's his schtick.

Kelly isn't a racist. He is a moron though. Kelly has had plenty of black stars on his college teams.

D'Anthony Thomas
Darron THomas
Kenyon Barner
LaMichael James
Josh Huff

Stephen A. is a fucking tool that should have been fired along with his butt-buddy, the most annoying man on earth next to Chris Berman.

ESPN, if they had any credibility, would suspend his ass. AGAIN.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
The whole racist name calling thing is beyond old. Those poor blacks are just repressed, I mean, we will never have a black president, oh wait. This isn't the 50s anymore.

Greg Stone

Rookie
Stupid, but I think HE WITH HORNS has gone a step too far. If you don't think racism exists you aren't paying attention. But the NFL, out of necessity in order to win, is one of the least racist industries.

jjab360

Legend
The whole racist name calling thing is beyond old. Those poor blacks are just repressed, I mean, we will never have a black president, oh wait. This isn't the 50s anymore.
I'm not defending Stephen A. but I find this comment a little ignorant, tbh. Maybe it's partly just the repressed/oppressed distinction.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
When is SAS not finding racism in something? It's guys like him that make it harder for people who are actually experiencing racism to come forward about it, because all people see are the Steven A Smiths and don't believe anybody else.

The guy's a clown and he doesn't have any respect from me. Perfect fit for the troll Bayless.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
SAS is the biggest idiot in broadcasting! Yes, even worse than Bayless, IMO. Whoever thought it was a good idea to stick a microphone in front of the clown should be fired!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Stupid, but I think HE WITH HORNS has gone a step too far. If you don't think racism exists you aren't paying attention. But the NFL, out of necessity in order to win, is one of the least racist industries.
Imo, sporting industries have done more to desegregate America than anything or anyone the last 50 yrs.
Sports create a common denominator between classes, races and ages.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I hope Chip Kelly sues SAS for defamation. And SAS loses his job, for good. And not some bullshit suspension. Hope SAS goes broke. Hope he has to work like most normal people, instead of having a dream job of talking about sports (well, supposed to anyway) in a fuckin comfy chair in a damn suit.

Fuck him.