ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith suggests racism in Chip Kelly’s roster moves

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I should admit to a little racism here.

I was going through the thread where posters put up pictures of themselves. And I ran across Mojo.

First thing I thought was "wait, what..........he isn't black?" because of the booty thread. I felt like he had lied by omission to me because of the pics he was posting. He was posting big booty pics like he was a black guy and he's white.

Is that racist? :whistle:

IMO SASmith should apologize. A suspension is not called for, but some mea culpa is.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The sad thing for me is that the people who actually experience real racism and speak up about it may not be heard as much as they should. When you have people inferring or claiming racism that is very much not likely the case, it makes people less likely to listen to any claims. Very unfortunate. So tired of people like this guy saying things because there are so many people in our country that will listen to him and believe what he says without doing any critical thinking for themselves.
This^^^ Although those that don't listen to legitimate cases may have their own crosses to bear.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Stupid, but I think HE WITH HORNS has gone a step too far. If you don't think racism exists you aren't paying attention. But the NFL, out of necessity in order to win, is one of the least racist industries.
re

I agree whole heartedly about the racism existing. But it is now a two way street and one seems to be more acceptable than the other. I could argue Stephen Smith sounds like a racist.

RamsFan14

Starter
I really hope Frank Gores decision to back away from the Eagles had nothing to do with what Stephen A. Smith had to say...

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
It is unfortunate that some people have to bring race into every conversation.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Never could stand that little POS loud mouth. He's showing just what a dipshiat he is. How anyone sees fit to pay him is beyond me.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
What a goof ball! Does anyone take him seriously? Really?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
So to summarize, Smith's only real problem is Riley Cooper not the roster....That is what this is about.

If you want to go on a witch hunt for racist coaches, look at the Patriots roster or is Smith afraid to go after Belichick?
Yeah. Couldn't be that he probably didn't want to pay DeSean $10,000,000 for the 2014 season.
It's just racism. All roads lead there eventually, and it's getting old.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I should admit to a little racism here.

I was going through the thread where posters put up pictures of themselves. And I ran across Mojo.

First thing I thought was "wait, what..........he isn't black?" because of the booty thread. I felt like he had lied by omission to me because of the pics he was posting. He was posting big booty pics like he was a black guy and he's white.

Is that racist? :whistle:
[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Blazing_Saddles/whitewmn.mp3[/av]

TexasRam

Legend
Stephen A thinks he's helping his fellow black man by calling race, when he's actually tearing down his Race by showing how ignorant he is and how unfit he is at being a voice in the world.

The writing in on the wall for him now, clean up the Racist accusations or find yourself quickly on the streets.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Sadly I actually find him quite entertaining and insightful when he just talks about the games. He is a talented guy when he stays on topic but loses me when he has an agenda.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What a goof ball! Does anyone take him seriously? Really?

Unfortunately some do. I have a friend that lives in rural PA. He does not own a computer and he worships StevenA. I laughed and it hurt his feelings. The guy is about 70 years old and went to see Smith speak at a local University. I couldn't believe that he liked the guy. He is clearly too sheltered.

When Smith speaks it sounds like a big ole blustery fart to me.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Racism exists... clearly, just the recent incident with the fraternity at OU shows that. And, I believe it is bigger than we know because, IMO, there is suppression going on behind the scenes.

But, I remember the 60's (yes, I'm that old) and I am grateful we have comes as far as we have.

Still lots more work to do... and it will never be eliminated IMO. Got to keep working at it every day... every person.

Now, as far as Smith is concerned, if hating him is racism on my part because he is an African-American, I guess I'm a racist.

He is a disgrace to his own race, IMO.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
He's just bent that Cooper is staying while McCoy, Maclin and Jackson are leaving.

Mr. Smith keep hating ...
14158635c7a78de25f6df9cd66e4ea58.jpg

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
What a cheap shot throwing the race card around like that because "a few brothers are getting uncomfortable". From what I can gather Kelly doesn't like gangsters or guys with gang affiliations and will move them on if he has the opportunity. I don't blame him for that personally - look at what happens if they cant shake them off when they turn pro? Aaron Hernandez anyone? And last time I checked it wasn't just black people who were allowed to be in gangs. It's not racist if you're not making a decision based on someone's race right?! I didn't like the move to swap him for Alonso - I think the Bill's won that trade personally, but calling it racist....come on man.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...mith-stands-by-his-comments-about-chip-kelly/

Stephen A. Smith stands by his comments about Chip Kelly
Posted by Mike Florio on March 10, 2015

smith.jpg
Getty Images

On Monday, Stephen A. Smith strongly implied that racial considerations have influenced some of the decisions Eagles coach Chip Kelly has made with his roster.

On Tuesday, Smith doubled down on his beliefs, while also disputing that he said Kelly is a racist.

Here’s the first chunk of what Smith said Tuesday, after colleague Skip Bayless suggested that running back Frank Gore’s change of heart was influenced in part by Kelly’s apparent desire not to have strong voices in the locker room.

“It lends itself towards validating what I was trying to say yesterday,” Smith said. “And I know that made a few folks uncomfortable. So be it. I stand by what I said yesterday.

“And I pointed out how DeSean Jackson is gone, LeSean McCoy is gone, Jeremy Maclinis gone, but Riley Cooper is still here. I wonder why that is? That has obviously provoked some people to sit there and say I went on the air and called Chip Kelly racist. That is a lie, that is false, that is inaccurate.

But it’s not surprising, because that’s what people want to do sometimes, just because they have a problem with you because I do have the ability to make some people uncomfortable, sometimes. I must acknowledge it actually makes me smile, it doesn’t bother me one bit. I know I’m going to make people uncomfortable sometimes, sitting in this chair. Such is life.”

Smith also went on to say that former Eagles offensive lineman Tra Thomas has said on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philadelphia that some of the team’s African-American players feel like they are treated differently by Kelly, that Smith doesn’t know Kelly well enough to label him, but that: (1) the decision to get rid of Jackson, McCoy, and Maclin but to keep Cooper is confusing; and (2) Kelly needs to remove that confusion.

“I have a right to sit back and legitimately ask the question. What is your agenda? Culturally, personality-wise. You’ve got nine players from Oregon. Is it gonna be the Oregon Ducks . . . or is there something else going on? I have a right to ask that question, and I don’t care what anybody says.”

He’s right. But folks who hear Smith’s words have a right to ask the question of whether Smith is calling Kelly a racist, without literally calling him a racist.

“You’ve got people in Philadelphia that literally look at Chip Kelly and say, ‘What’s up with this dude?'” Smith said. “Now, they don’t know. They ain’t calling him out. They’re not labeling him. They’re not defining him. But they are asking questions. What’s up with this dude when a DeSean Jackson, a LeSean McCoy, a Jeremy Maclin’s gone but Riley Cooper’s here. What is up with that? I’m sorry, but I have a right to ask that question.”

It’s true that Smith never actually called Kelly a racist. But on two straight days Smith has suggested that Kelly may be a racist. And that may be a distinction without a difference.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
If Kelly is a racist, so is Smith. But I have feeling Kelly's racism is limited to the color of winning. If there is a racist coach, he'd still have an all black team if he thought they were the best players. Winning trumps everything in today's NFL.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
From what I can gather Kelly doesn't like gangsters or guys with gang affiliations and will move them on if he has the opportunity.

And last time I checked it wasn't just black people who were allowed to be in gangs.
I think you're making Steven A's point right there....Was not what Riley Cooper yelled that night gangster-ish? If so, why is he still on the team? Is he better at hiding his gangster-ism? Has he changed? Is it only lower-paid gangters he doesnt't have a problem with? I don't thing the thug/gangster thing flies...I think it's contracts and then the players themselves....because, while I don't really know what cause the release of Desean, the McCoy & Maclin thing is confusing because all the reports say these were solid individuals...
As a comparison, look at our Rams, our highest paid players are in many respects, under-performing...Hell, if Sam, JL, CL, Quinn & others were playing like Shady, Mac, and D-Jax and then were released most would be up in arms...
Lets just sit back and see what happens to Chip's ship...Guarantee it won't be a happy ending.