ESPN: Decision Time for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy

Thank you for bringing your knowledge to the table. This is exactly how I feel about the situation but I didn't know how to express in such a manner.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK then when does the 3 mil kick in?
The $5 million roster bonus was guaranteed at the contract signing. It’s payable on 3/16/18 to whoever’s roster he is on. The $3 million is his base pay payable weekly during the season.

The problem with trading him is getting somebody to pay that roster bonus. If we trade him after paying it we will want more because the new team pays him less.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rob Quinn still has some serious value playing in a base 43 defense. Rob Quinn plays the Right DE post which is a critical post for all 43 defenses. I do not see an abundance of 43 RDE's upcoming in early March's free agency. This would increase his commodity would it not? I constantly see the thoughts of many members here thinking that Rob Quinn is in a position where he must take million less $$$o_O. Why?:confused:

RQ did not play well overall in 2017, but he did play well in some areas of his responsibilities where if he was in a 43 D he might still have excellent impact value for an NFL team. Most of Quinn's sacks & pressure came when Wade changed up from a 3 DL front to where he went to 4 down DL'ers pass rush. To me that above fact is important to keep in your memory here when discussing RQ's value to this 2018 Ram team. That information is clearly out there in the NFL world to see for all the 43 standard Defenses to ponder.

RQ's2017 poor play was showcased when he was charged with the full responsibility & duties of a 34 Defense Right OLB'er. Sadly RQ does not possess enough NFL caliber 34 DE OSLB'er skills to make an impact much less @ his current cost of $12.4 million.

I am thinking that there are a half dozen 43 D NFL teams {49ers, Browns, Jets, Bucs, Panthers,Vikings & Lions} who would greatly desire RQ to play DE bad enough to trade for him. Now his trade value would be a good discussion :whistle: some member's have already suggested as high as a 2018 2nd round Draft selection. IMO that's somewhat overvalued but you never know ....some teams have ton of Cap space $$$ & Draft selections that they can count. The other gold nugget to draw the attention of 43 D teams is his contract.... is super friendly for any team in need of a 27 yr old 43 standard pass rusher. You know that good RDE's are rare.

Please someone tell me why Snead would want to pay $12.4 million for a below par 34 DE OSLB'er when you could trade him off get a few draft selections & add some serious cap funds back in your team bank? Then go get a complete fully skilled 34 D OSLB'er in the draft @ a much lower cost.
Quinn's stats for 2017:
* 15 games/ 14 starts
* 2 FF's
* 8 1/2 Sacks
* 21 Tackles/ 11 assists
Are his Best since his 2013-14 Pro Bowl/All-Pro years, his cost may appear a little High, But I don't think we should get rid of him!!
But I also don't think we should have ever gotten rid of Chris Long or James Laurinaitis!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn's stats for 2017:
* 15 games/ 14 starts
* 2 FF's
* 8 1/2 Sacks
* 21 Tackles/ 11 assists
Are his Best since his 2013-14 Pro Bowl/All-Pro years, his cost may appear a little High, But I don't think we should get rid of him!!
But I also don't think we should have ever gotten rid of Chris Long or James Laurinaitis!!

Good Morning Dave getting any rain ? we are wet here & expecting 6 straight days of it here.. Your are a true & loyal Ram fan! Never change(y)!

I understand your positions Dave, but I look at it in a different way. I see that we have paid Rob a near $40 million for the last 3 seasons. What the Rams got in return was pitifully bad. I say lets be fair to Rob & see if we can get him back to a legit 43 standard defense so what skills he has remaining after his back surgeries can be better utilized. Rob Quinn is not an NFL 34 Defense OSLB'er!

Rams are set to pay him another $12.4 million in 2018. If we do an general overview of the Rams $$$ investment here in terms of fixed salary cap $$$ available vs on field paid dividends........:sadwalk: I am going to sale his stock yesterday if I can find any buyers

That makes the TA's contract look reasonable & maybe paying off in bigger dividends looking at it from my one working paramecium brain cell.;)

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Good Morning Dave getting any rain ? we are wet here & expecting 6 straight days of it here.. Your are a true & loyal Ram fan! Never change(y)!

I understand your positions Dave, but I look at it in a different way. I see that we have paid Rob a near $40 million for the last 3 seasons. What the Rams got in return was pitifully bad. I say lets be fair to Rob & see if we can get him back to a legit 43 standard defense so what skills he has remaining after his back surgeries can be better utilized. Rob Quinn is not an NFL 34 Defense OSLB'er!

Rams are set to pay him another $12.4 million in 2018. If we do an general overview of the Rams $$$ investment here in terms of fixed salary cap $$$ available vs on field paid dividends........:sadwalk: I am going to sale his stock yesterday if I can find any buyers

That makes the TA's contract look reasonable & maybe paying off in bigger dividends looking at it from my one working paramecium brain cell.;)
Weather!? Cloudy and Cool here today! I will NEVER CHANGE!!!

I think Quinn was really catching on in Wade's Brand of 3-4/4-3 Defensive scheme! Look at all the Sacks he got! And Pressures! I can se Dumping Austin, He's more replaceable than Quinn at this point in Time! JMHO;)

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams have 40 million in cap space open. The players that are looking at being cut are due to not living up to contracts. Tavon of course tops this list. Barron is interesting. Seems the rams can find a less expensive ILB, and have top $ invested in Tree. Makes sense he will be cut, not sure of a trade market for him with some injury issues last season. Maybe a day 3 pick at best.
Quinn is a very tough call. Longacre finished the year on IR, is he ready to assume a starting stop next year. Rams are looking to make a playoff run, after the successful season just completed. Quinn does have trade value, round 3 or a lower pick in round 2 would be a good return. Can draft his replacement, move the salary toward an extension for Donald. But, a team looking to make a playoff run, such as the Rams, may be wise to hold onto him, as he did play well the 2nd half of the last season. Tough call on Quinn.
Webster is another potential cut. Would save 3 million of cap space, but his is injured, not sure how that works. Maybe a salary cut after he is healthy, or is cut then.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The problem with trading him is getting somebody to pay that roster bonus. If we trade him after paying it we will want more because the new team pays him less.

Yeah... that's the key... is anyone willing to pony up what appears to be a small amount of money in today's NFL to acquire him?

The answer probably tells you all you need to know about his value and whether the Rams should hang onto his $3 mil per week salary.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
What Austin brings to the table is speed. Speed that not every roster has at some positions. Speed that has to be accounted for. This is what frees up Gurley. But when Austin doesn't use his speed (tries to make someone miss or such....) is what does not make him effective, thus reducing his value. If Austin picks a spot down the field and tries to beat the defense there. It creates mismatches. If he wants to be on "make-your-guy-miss" highlights, he doesn't really have value as Pharoh Cooper can provide that. It's not that the coaches didn't find ways, it's Austin himself has to use his abilities to create problems, instead of a few half-assed dance steps. There's value there, if he would embrace his roll. There's not value on holding on a roster spot to someone who doesn't represent the "We-instead-of-me" values.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yeah... that's the key... is anyone willing to pony up what appears to be a small amount of money in today's NFL to acquire him?The answer probably tells you all you need to know about his value and whether the Rams should hang onto his $3 mil per week salary.
Never know about the TA matter. I see that some sports writers claim the Browns & their new OC Todd Haley have desires for a quick Slot Receiver as a need. In the state of Ohio, TA is well known in this area of the country being next to WV Mountaineers .

Browns have 11 picks= 2 first round picks, (one overall & the 4th overall first round selections). The second round they have 3 selection 2 of which are very high too, a third, 2 fourths & 2 fifths a 6th & a 7th. Browns also have the most available cap space of all NFL teams.

Rams might do something that has not been discussed yet best I can tell......Demoff & Snead might do some tinkering on TA due $8 million contract for 2018 season & bring that number down in order to make give TA some bright & shinny lights for any team desiring TA @ a lower cost. Making TA more desirable to be traded for a draft selection or in order to move up the boards. Rams do need some addition draft wealth to get the needed prospects to improve this team at the best price possible.

Last edited:

nighttrain

Legend
...Demoff & Snead might do some tinkering on TA due $8 million contract for 2018 season & bring that number down in order to make give TA some bright & shinny lights for any team desiring TA @ a lower cost. Making TA more desirable to be traded for a draft selection or in order to move up the boards. Rams do need some addition draft wealth to get the needed prospects to improve this team at the best price possible.
This is what i'm hoping
train

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The Tavon Austin experiment is over
The myth of Tavon in space is dead
Let's move on
There is some 5th round pick from AZ State ready to pick up the slack

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me it's a no brainer to at least try to trade Austin and Quinn, and then one of either Barron or Ogletree.

They're all good players that offer higher value to different systems, so it's logical to me.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Los Angeles Rams deciding on Tavon Austin’s future seems too easy
by Dan Parzych15 hours ago
https://ramblinfan.com/2018/02/11/los-angeles-rams-tavon-austin-future-seems-too-easy/

The Los Angeles Rams have plenty of key decisions to make over the next few months, including what to do about Tavon Austin.
Despite emerging out of nowhere last season to become the team to beat in the NFC West, the Los Angeles Rams have plenty of work to take care of over the next few months if Sean McVay‘s squad wants another opportunity to do the same in 2018. With Jared Goff and Todd Gurley leading the way on offense, there’s every reason to believe this unit can be one of the best once again, but hopefully the team can make the easy decision to finally part ways with Tavon Austin.

Without question, Austin’s current contract with Los Angeles may be one of the worst in the NFL when looking at how much money the team is currently wasting on the former first-round pick. At the time back in 2016, the Rams felt confident enough that Austin would build off his productive 2015 campaign in which he found the end zone 10 times, but unfortunately that was far from the case.

Austin may have set a career high of 509 receiving yards that first season after agreeing to the four-year, $42 million extension, but these kind of numbers are pathetic for a wideout that was supposed to be the top option to work with in the passing game. And when looking at how Austin only finished with 13 catches during the regular season for 47 yards while playing just two snaps in the playoffs, it’s clear there’s no reason for Los Angeles to keep him around for the 2018 season.

Even though it was basically impossible to part ways with Austin last year due to that hefty contract, the good news for the Rams is they would only lose $5 million in dead money if the team did in fact end up parting ways with the wideout. While the argument can be made Los Angeles should give Austin another chance to prove himself, keep in mind that McVay is an offensive mastermind who proved last season he knows how to get the best out of his players. So if someone like Austin can’t even find success in a high-powered offense like McVay’s, it’s simply not worth it for the Rams, and parting ways in the next few months seems like a no brainer.