ESPN: Decision Time for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Just stop. Tavon excuses are so dated man, the guy is a damn mess. It's not about McVay finding a way to use poor Tavon. It's about Tavon earning a damn role in this offense by executing the scheme.

Sometimes it's the player.

So instead of using him on end around runs, or trick plays, which he should have been, our brilliant coaching staff ran him up the gut as a severely undersized running back. That's not the players fault for failing there, it's on the coaches for not using more imaginitively.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not a wasted roster sport for quite some time from now right? He could be on the roster through the offseason and then we could cut him and still be in the same place. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I'm not sure I'm getting your point... just keep him on the roster, then cut him?

What does that accomplish?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
So instead of using him on end around runs, or trick plays, which he should have been, our brilliant coaching staff ran him up the gut as a severely undersized running back. That's not the players fault for failing there, it's on the coaches for not using more imaginitively.

The love of and the blind faith in Tavon (by some) never ceases to amaze me.

Despite all the evidence through 2 HC’s and 4 OC’s.

Then, to ignore the salary cap impact.

Sigh...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, what he boils down to is:
A decoy for fake end arounds.

He can't field punts... he can't perform as a productive WR... he can't be a RB... all he can do is end arounds... sometimes he gets the ball and it's 50/50 whether he runs forward and gets decent yardage, or runs sideways and gets nothing.

I'm pretty certain the Rams could go out and find a guy who's fast that can do the same job for much less.

He's simply not very valuable... he expendable. Open up a roster spot for a more productive player.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
The love of and the blind faith in Tavon (by some) never ceases to amaze me.

Despite all the evidence through 2 HC’s and 4 OC’s.

Then, to ignore the salary cap impact.

Sigh...

Austin had 900+ yards from scrimmage and 9 TDs in 2015, plus a punt return for a TD. He is not trash...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He did find a way to use him, and use him with fantastic results for Gurley.

It's just a question of what his dollar value is IMO, not his overall role.

This is true, although as I have argued in the past that same play design with Cooper or even Everett would probably have worked just as well, with the addition of plus yards after contact by both.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Once again... IF he had learned how to run a route or catch the ball by now, after his 5 YEARS in the league, I would agree with you. But go back and re-watch this offense from day one and you'll see that guys who execute the scheme get the playing time. This scheme requires precise routes, i.e. the receiver being exactly where the route says he should be, and an ability to catch the ball. Dudes who drop the ball will not be tolerated by Sean McVay.

Truth is that Tavon was a misfit from day one. This is why I argued before the season to trade him, while he still had value, and many back then felt as you do now. Not many are left now though, due to the actual evidence on the field, so if nothing else I applaud your stubbornness. Cheers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This is true, although as I have argued in the past that same play design with Cooper or even Everett would probably have worked just as well, with the addition of plus yards after contact by both.

I'm not sure about that because Austin puts real fear in defenses, if he gets into space it's a big gainer or a TD.

The Gurley TD pass in Dallas that sealed the game doesn't happen without the motion from Austin.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure about that because Austin puts real fear in defenses, if he gets into space it's a big gainer or a TD.

The Gurley TD pass in Dallas that sealed the game doesn't happen without the motion from Austin.

Nobody was sure Austin could be replaced on punt returns either. But he was, and it was an upgrade.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

Our brilliant coach was named coach of the year.....have to side with the coach not the player here as they gave Tavon lots of opportunities. Brilliant coaching staff also led the top ranked offense an offense that was last in the league the year before, I think they are pretty creative. just my humble opinion.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin puts real fear in defenses, if he gets into space it's a big gainer or a TD.

If I'm an apposing DC and I look at what he's done the past 2 years, the word "fear" is not one that would come to mind.

Gurley? Fear
Woods? Fear

Austin? Meh... I'll worry about lots of other Rams offensive players if I'm an opposing DC.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our brilliant coach was named coach of the year.....have to side with the coach not the player here as they gave Tavon lots of opportunities. Brilliant coaching staff also led the top ranked offense an offense that was last in the league the year before, I think they are pretty creative. just my humble opinion.
Yeah... I don't understand those statements about our coaching staff being "brilliant"...

All I can say to that is: I agree!
;)

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Not trash... just not relevant anymore.

Not relevant to the Rams. Like I said, assuming we re-sign Watkins, there isn't enough playing time for Austin on this roster. Austin could be some other team's treasure.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Austin could be some other team's treasure.

Maybe... but, if he's all that talented (including mentally) and can't be a major contributor to the league's #1 offense, I'm not sure what team can make him a treasure.

My suspicion is that he'll just kind of fade into football oblivion... in a few years, we'll be saying "remember Tavon Austin? Oh, yeah, that guy who used to run jet sweeps for us?"

Fact is... he's not much of a factor for the Rams. If they let him go, I won't really care after that. Just want a productive player in his roster spot asap.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Nobody was sure Austin could be replaced on punt returns either. But he was, and it was an upgrade.

He wasn't productive as a punt returner though. He is productive out of the backfield, so there is a difference.

If I'm an apposing DC and I look at what he's done the past 2 years, the word "fear" is not one that would come to mind.

Gurley? Fear
Woods? Fear

Austin? Meh... I'll worry about lots of other Rams offensive players if I'm an opposing DC.

As a DC you'd have to respect the speed and cutting ability or you get burned. That's why running lanes opened up for Gurley because Austin often froze 2 defenders.

I hope they keep him at a discount.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Maybe... but, if he's all that talented (including mentally) and can't be a major contributor to the league's #1 offense, I'm not sure what team can make him a treasure.

My suspicion is that he'll just kind of fade into football oblivion... in a few years, we'll be saying "remember Tavon Austin? Oh, yeah, that guy who used to run jet sweeps for us?"

Fact is... he's not much of a factor for the Rams. If they let him go, I won't really care after that. Just want a productive player in his roster spot asap.

Austin was talented enough in 2015, just two years ago, to score ten TDs and gain 900+ yards from scrimmage, and return punts. Only 4 TDs and 650 yards in 2016 after the move to LA, I don't know why. In 2017 we acquired Woods and Watkins, drafted Everett and Kupp, Cooper returned kicks, and he became a decoy for Gurley. New coach used his guys, go figure.

Austin will be 27 years old when the 2018 season begins. If Fisher can get that kind of production from him in 2015-16, then some other head coach can too. That's all I'm saying. If he is on a different roster next year, he could do good/great things if utilized to take advantage of his strengths.

Personally, I don't think there is room for him on the receiving corps of the Rams next year. Really odd to say that. I like him, I hope he lands somewhere and thrives, and we use his roster spot for a promising player at another position.

Out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quinn would get a third rounder, not a few picks.

As a 3/4 LB he is a liability because he can't cover anyone. That's a big deal because it's a big responsibility and he is no good at it.
A 3rd would be wonderful! but so would a few picks like a 4th rd & a 5th rd ;). On TA some good more bad....(n)
Here’s my Readers Digest take on these 3 players.

Tavon is a goner. No earthly reason to keep him and waste a valuable roster spot.

Quinn is likely 80% gone. Just not a good fit in Wade’s D, it seems (being polite here). Bonifay made an intriguing argument for a trade opportunity. If feasible, that would be a win-win. Contract re-structure seems unlikely.

Barron? I just don’t know. My guess is that he’s slightly more likely to be gone. But it’s only a slight lean in that direction.

We should brace ourselves for a lot of probable new replacement starters on Wade’s ‘18 D.

Current starters that are possible, or even probable to be replaced include:

Westbrooks (or whoever the hell our current NT is)
Barwin
Barron
Quinn
TruJo
Webster (almost certain due to injury)That’s some significant change from our ‘17 starters, huh?
The release of TA before June 1st would cost the Rams an instant 5 mil in dead $$. That alone is tough to do & get hit on. But you would save $3 million of the 8 million in the end & that where you need to keep your mind set on.It would be seriously Unwise to pay TA 8 million for his services this upcoming season. When you add up the minuses & few pluses there is no real reason to cut TA. I just want this chapter in our history closed.

My position on Rob Quinn is clear from all my posts this season. Nothing has changed here & I would hope for a trade of some type where the Rams might get a 2nd day draft selection or a few 3rd day draft picks or where a team would exchange draft positions so we would draft a earlier. Bottom line with or without a trade Rob Quinn is cut before June 1st.

Mark Barron has been a very good player for this Ram defense for four seasons. With Barron you have a very talented player who is in the prime of his playing career. MB will be 29 yrs old in October this season. He can be an impact player on the field when he is healthy & playing in the right position. Barron has started @ both deep safety & strong safety positions including a start @ outside corner as a DB. Gregg Williams 43 D Barron started @ both outside LB'er posts but was most effective when playing the weak-side LB'er post. This past season Barron played the inside LB'er position in Wade 34 D & his effectiveness dropped dramatically.

It should be noted here that Mark Barron battling various ailments all season. Barron missed many practice time through-out last season too some for non-injury reasons. The most serious problem later in this season was a damage worn Achilles heel injury. Before the Achilles issue he broke his thumb & missed even more practices. Before the broken thumb his knee was sore early in the season. In training camp & pre season Barron was mostly a no show due to either that bad knee or something else. Bottom line here is his 2017 season was one big injury after another that kept him from practicing from beginning to end.

Barron’s salary-cap hit for the 2018 season is $10 million, but if the Rams cut him before June 1, he would count only $3 million against the cap. Cutting Barron after the loss of LB'ers Conner Barwin & the high probable loss of LB'er Rob Quinn is a loss of a ton of veteran LB'er talent? Barwin might be brought back for a moderate price again but there some stuff to consider. Finally there’s no guarantee Barron will return to full health in 2018.

Bottom line Barron is not a good fit with Ogletree inside this Wade 34 D. Barron is much better playing a role in the pass defense than plugging the running lanes & that's where the Rams D has its big problem. Rams would save a good bit of future salary cap if Barron departs. There are an abundance of good looking UFA veterans 34 D inside LB'ers who could be better plug ins in Wade D i.e. Todd Davis (Broncos) or NaVorro Bowman (9ers/Raiders) even a great old vet like Derrick Johnson (KC) could play one more season. None will come close to demanding the near 10 million a season that Barron demands.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Once again... IF he had learned how to run a route or catch the ball by now, after his 5 YEARS in the league, I would agree with you. But go back and re-watch this offense from day one and you'll see that guys who execute the scheme get the playing time. This scheme requires precise routes, i.e. the receiver being exactly where the route says he should be, and an ability to catch the ball. Dudes who drop the ball will not be tolerated by Sean McVay.

Truth is that Tavon was a misfit from day one. This is why I argued before the season to trade him, while he still had value, and many back then felt as you do now. Not many are left now though, due to the actual evidence on the field, so if nothing else I applaud your stubbornness. Cheers.

He obviously fell out of favor with the coaching staff, so yes, it is time to get rid of him. I was just saying, that he can and will make an impact somewhere, the guy can score from anywhere on the field.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame

In most ways they are brilliant, and I'm glad they are on our team. BUT, trying to run TA into the pile up the middle was just plain dumb. At least get him in space and give him a chance. He'll be somewhere else next year for sure.