ESPN: Decision Time for Rams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But he is such a non factor I can't see him occupying a roster spot. His contributions were almost non existent. I think they should just eat the cap loss and replace him with someone they can use.
^^^ THIS ^^^
It's not the money... it's the roster spot he'd be wasting.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

54695b4b6845f1a848377d52b07f426d.jpg

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug

No damn wonder your face is purple.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave

Dentist have way better drugs today and are not so greedy with them, like they were when I was young.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Tooth problems can manifest in signicant problems elsewhere.

If there is an infection and it spreads somewhere else via the blood stream, you’re looking at some super ugly possibilities. I know one guy who nearly died due to an infection from a tooth going to his heart.

Suck it up and get it taken care of. The alternatives are all bad.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
^^^ THIS ^^^
It's not the money... it's the roster spot he'd be wasting.

Not a wasted roster sport for quite some time from now right? He could be on the roster through the offseason and then we could cut him and still be in the same place. Please correct me if I am wrong.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Rams might have signaled which inside linebacker they prefer long-term when they signed Alec Ogletree, a two-time captain, to a four-year, $42.75 million extension in October. Ogletree and Barron now combine to make nearly $20 million annually. It's hard to envision the Rams continuing to commit that much to inside linebacker, not when Ogletree and Barron are relatively undersized for the position -- a reason the Rams allowed 4.76 yards per carry between the tackles in 2017, second highest in the NFL. Barron also dealt with a series of injuries last season.

That 4.76 per carry between the tackles is a bit inflated by the early part of the year. Before they got the DL settled.

In the 3-4 LB's have to be able to cover, and Barron is good. Cutting him means finding a guy that is better and that will cost a lot of money as we all know FA's all get overpaid.

The issue of their size is a BS argument. Donald is a small guy at his position too. AO went to a Pro Bowl.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Tooth problems can manifest in signicant problems elsewhere.

If there is an infection and it spreads somewhere else via the blood stream, you’re looking at some super ugly possibilities. I know one guy who nearly died due to an infection from a tooth going to his heart.

Suck it up and get it taken care of. The alternatives are all bad.

Martz had to take time away from coaching because of that if you recall.

Floss muthafuckas, floss.

nighttrain

Legend
Not a wasted roster sport for quite some time from now right? He could be on the roster through the offseason and then we could cut him and still be in the same place. Please correct me if I am wrong.
he has 3 mil due to him in March, save by cutting him before it's due
train

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That 4.76 per carry between the tackles is a bit inflated by the early part of the year. Before they got the DL settled.

In the 3-4 LB's have to be able to cover, and Barron is good. Cutting him means finding a guy that is better and that will cost a lot of money as we all know FA's all get overpaid.

The issue of their size is a BS argument. Donald is a small guy at his position too. AO went to a Pro Bowl.

They might have Barron’s replacement in Littleton? Next man up ? The cost would be huge. MRk Barron was hurt a lot as well . He can play a lot better than he has , so will see what Wade & Joe Barry think.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Tavon needs to go.. If anything you can bring in an UDFA WR to compete with Pharoe and Thomas...but we have WRs, and that 3 million can be spent elsewhere.

We also need to move on from Barron... we need a more stout ILB next to Ogletree..if that means get someone for Barron's spot, or get a MLB and move Tree to Barron's spot. But our inconsistency against the Run in large part was due to not having enough beef at LB to come up...fight off O-lineman and stuff the runs. Littleton is solid depth for us, but we need to get us a stout ILB...

Quinn....man..he's my guy...but for a high price tag...I think not. The only thing is that if you also move on from Barwin...that means you have to replace both your guys if you move on from Quinn...I rather keep Quinn at a reasonable price and only have to upgrade Barwin's spot..

we have a lot of decisions to make...but if we do this right...we can step up even further than we did this past season.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
We could do worse than Quinn. But you can't ignore that cap savings. I don't see him returning unless there is a team friendly restructure. I doubt that would happen.

I know Barron is overpaid but he is playmaker on defense who can get stops behind the LOS. And he's more capable of covering TE's and RB's than most ILB's.

I know the cap savings isn't as much with Austin as Quinn and Barron. But he is such a non factor I can't see him occupying a roster spot. His contributions were almost non existent. I think they should just eat the cap loss and replace him with someone they can use.

His base is $10.3M for 18'. I don't see roster bonuses listed for him. In 2019 he has approx $11M base.

So you could knock his base down to $3M, give him a $7M bonus, spread it over 3 yrs, with a higher base in 19' but the idea would be that at best 19' would be his last year, but probably 2018 is it.

For Quinn no downside, either way he would be free to go next year and he still gets his $10M this year. If he has a great year then Rams Keep him around in 19' which is the last year of his current deal anyway.

Only downside is the Rams take a hit next year of $4.6M in dead cap space if they release him.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rob Quinn still has some serious value playing in a base 43 defense. Rob Quinn plays the Right DE post which is a critical post for all 43 defenses. I do not see an abundance of 43 RDE's upcoming in early March's free agency. This would increase his commodity would it not? I constantly see the thoughts of many members here thinking that Rob Quinn is in a position where he must take million less $$$o_O. Why?:confused:

RQ did not play well overall in 2017, but he did play well in some areas of his responsibilities where if he was in a 43 D he might still have excellent impact value for an NFL team. Most of Quinn's sacks & pressure came when Wade changed up from a 3 DL front to where he went to 4 down DL'ers pass rush. To me that above fact is important to keep in your memory here when discussing RQ's value to this 2018 Ram team. That information is clearly out there in the NFL world to see for all the 43 standard Defenses to ponder.

RQ's2017 poor play was showcased when he was charged with the full responsibility & duties of a 34 Defense Right OLB'er. Sadly RQ does not possess enough NFL caliber 34 DE OSLB'er skills to make an impact much less @ his current cost of $12.4 million.

I am thinking that there are a half dozen 43 D NFL teams {49ers, Browns, Jets, Bucs, Panthers,Vikings & Lions} who would greatly desire RQ to play DE bad enough to trade for him. Now his trade value would be a good discussion :whistle: some member's have already suggested as high as a 2018 2nd round Draft selection. IMO that's somewhat overvalued but you never know ....some teams have ton of Cap space $$$ & Draft selections that they can count. The other gold nugget to draw the attention of 43 D teams is his contract.... is super friendly for any team in need of a 27 yr old 43 standard pass rusher. You know that good RDE's are rare.

Please someone tell me why Snead would want to pay $12.4 million for a below par 34 DE OSLB'er when you could trade him off get a few draft selections & add some serious cap funds back in your team bank? Then go get a complete fully skilled 34 D OSLB'er in the draft @ a much lower cost.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Rob Quinn still has some serious value playing in a base 43 defense. Rob Quinn plays the Right DE post which is a critical post for all 43 defenses. I do not see an abundance of 43 RDE's upcoming in early March's free agency. This would increase his commodity would it not? I constantly see the thoughts of many members here thinking that Rob Quinn is in a position where he must take million less $$$o_O. Why?:confused:

RQ did not play well overall in 2017, but he did play well in some areas of his responsibilities where if he was in a 43 D he might still have excellent impact value for an NFL team. Most of Quinn's sacks & pressure came when Wade changed up from a 3 DL front to where he went to 4 down DL'ers pass rush. To me that above fact is important to keep in your memory here when discussing RQ's value to this 2018 Ram team. That information is clearly out there in the NFL world to see for all the 43 standard Defenses to ponder.

RQ's2017 poor play was showcased when he was charged with the full responsibility & duties of a 34 Defense Right OLB'er. Sadly RQ does not possess enough NFL caliber 34 DE OSLB'er skills to make an impact much less @ his current cost of $12.4 million.

I am thinking that there are a half dozen 43 D NFL teams {49ers, Browns, Jets, Bucs, Panthers,Vikings & Lions} who would greatly desire RQ to play DE bad enough to trade for him. Now his trade value would be a good discussion :whistle: some member's have already suggested as high as a 2018 2nd round Draft selection. IMO that's somewhat overvalued but you never know ....some teams have ton of Cap space $$$ & Draft selections that they can count. The other gold nugget to draw the attention of 43 D teams is his contract.... is super friendly for any team in need of a 27 yr old 43 standard pass rusher. You know that good RDE's are rare.

Please someone tell me why Snead would want to pay $12.4 million for a below par 34 DE OSLB'er when you could trade him off get a few draft selections & add some serious cap funds back in your team bank? Then go get a complete fully skilled 34 D OSLB'er in the draft @ a much lower cost.

Sure, if they could get a top 125 pick, I would go that route for sure. Maybe the Rams can throw in a 6th and get a 3rd back like the Bills did with Watkins

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Quinn would get a third rounder, not a few picks.

As a 3/4 LB he is a liability because he can't cover anyone. That's a big deal because it's a big responsibility and he is no good at it.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

OLB Connor Barwin- Cut bait

WR Sammy Watkins-Keep him

CB Nickell Robey-Coleman-Keep Him

C John Sullivan-Keep Him

CB Trumaine Johnson-Cut Bait

S Lamarcus Joyner-Keep Him

TE Derek Carrier-Keep Him

S Cody Davis-Keep Him

RB Lance Dunbar-Cut Bait (injury prone)

DT Dominique Easley-Cut Bait (injury prone)

OT Cornelius Lucas-Keep Him

LS Jake McQuaide-Keep Him

DT Tyrunn Walker-Keep Him

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

OLB Matt Longacre-Keep Hm

OT Darrell Williams-Keep Him

LB Cameron Lynch-Keep Him

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENTS

RB Malcolm Brown-Keep Him

CB Troy Hill-Keep Him

LB Garrett Sickels-Training camp Depth

K Sam Ficken-Cut Bait

OLB Carlos Thompson-Training camp Depth

FB Zach Laskey-Cut Bait

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Here’s my Readers Digest take on these 3 players.

Tavon is a goner. No earthly reason to keep him and waste a valuable roster spot.

Quinn is likely 80% gone. Just not a good fit in Wade’s D, it seems (being polite here). Bonifay made an intriguing argument for a trade opportunity. If feasible, that would be a win-win. Contract re-structure seems unlikely.

Barron? I just don’t know. My guess is that he’s slightly more likely to be gone. But it’s only a slight lean in that direction.

We should brace ourselves for a lot of probable new replacement starters on Wade’s ‘18 D.

Current starters that are possible, or even probable to be replaced include:

Westbrooks (or whoever the hell our current NT is)
Barwin
Barron
Quinn
TruJo
Webster (almost certain due to injury)

That’s some significant change from our ‘17 starters, huh?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they could restructure Quinn that could make both sides happy and cut his cap number in half.

I hope so. Love the dude and would like nothing more than to see him stick around and get that championship in horns. I just wonder to what extent he's still hungry, or if he is. If not, he's gotta go. Rams have a better feel for that than we do too. But yes that would be a great thing to see them kick off the pre-FA period with a restructure of RQ.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
And as great as McVay is as a coach, he didn't find a way to use Tavon, which is not good. This guy is a weapon, and if he can't even get an end around at least once a game, then sadly it's time to move on.

Just stop. Tavon excuses are so dated man, the guy is a damn mess. It's not about McVay finding a way to use poor Tavon. It's about Tavon earning a damn role in this offense by executing the scheme.

Sometimes it's the player.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It's not about McVay finding a way to use poor Tavon

He did find a way to use him, and use him with fantastic results for Gurley.

It's just a question of what his dollar value is IMO, not his overall role.