Eric Dickerson on Goff vs. Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No he was taken in the supplemental draft and cost the Cowboys the #1 overall pick in the 1990 draft. So they essentially drafted 2 QB's with the 1st pick in the draft in the same year.
Lol
Johnson did favor Walsh though

I just checke4d and yeah he was taken in the supplemental. He garnered a 1 and 3 that year and a 2 the next year. Not so bad.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Rams to open training camp in Irvine on July 29-May the best man-QB win.
Just in case someone doesn't know, The Rookies Report to Camp Tomorrow! and the Vets on Friday. 1st full day of practice is on the 29th!(y);):D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just checke4d and yeah he was taken in the supplemental. He garnered a 1 and 3 that year and a 2 the next year. Not so bad.
Dallas got lucky, but still didn't get value. New Orleans was in the playoffs in 89, so they basically traded a 1991 first rounder #20, a late 3rd rounder and a mid 2nd rounder for the overall #1 pick.
Dallas made out just fine but that trade cost them a shot at either Junior Seau or Cortez Kennedy
Or they could have traded the pick which became Jeff George. Not sure what the Colts gave up to pick him but I imagine its more than what they got

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Dallas got lucky, but still didn't get value. New Orleans was in the playoffs in 89, so they basically traded a 1991 first rounder #20, a late rounder and a mid 2nd rounder for the overall #1 pick.
Dallas made out just fine but that trade cost them a shot at either Junior Seau or Cortez Kennedy

Here is what happened with the picks. I was curious who they got so I Googled it.

Head coach Jimmy Johnson who was also his coach in Miami, reportedly favored him as the starter,[4] but Walsh was never able to move out of Aikman's shadow and was traded to the New Orleans Saints three games into the 1990 season, in exchange for a first, second and third round draft picks.[5] With the third draft choice the Cowboys selected (#70-Erik Williams), the other two picks (#14-Leonard Russell and #52-Patrick Rowe) were traded to the New England Patriots as a package to move up to the number one overall draft choice to select Russell Maryland.

Getting Williams and Maryland in the same year is an A+ draft. Kennedy was picked 3rd and Seau was picked 5th so the Cowboys would have to have made a trade to get either of them too.

A lot of talent was in that first round evidently!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is what happened with the picks. I was curious who they got so I Googled it.

Head coach Jimmy Johnson who was also his coach in Miami, reportedly favored him as the starter,[4] but Walsh was never able to move out of Aikman's shadow and was traded to the New Orleans Saints three games into the 1990 season, in exchange for a first, second and third round draft picks.[5] With the third draft choice the Cowboys selected (#70-Erik Williams), the other two picks (#14-Leonard Russell and #52-Patrick Rowe) were traded to the New England Patriots as a package to move up to the number one overall draft choice to select Russell Maryland.

Getting Williams and Maryland in the same year is an A+ draft. Kennedy was picked 3rd and Seau was picked 5th so the Cowboys would have to have made a trade to get either of them too.

A lot of talent was in that first round evidently!
The Cowboys would have had the #1 overall pick in the Draft had they not taken Steve Walsh. They could have traded the pick and landed a haul, or drafted Seau or Kennedy.
As for the trade for Maryland, they also gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick along with a bunch of players, not just Russell and Rowe.
It all worked out, but for a team that got so lucky in the draft they sure screwed the pooch with Walsh.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
The Cowboys would have had the #1 overall pick in the Draft had they not taken Steve Walsh. They could have traded the pick and landed a haul, or drafted Seau or Kennedy.
As for the trade for Maryland, they also gave up a 1st and 2nd round pick along with a bunch of players, not just Russell and Rowe.
It all worked out, but for a team that got so lucky in the draft they sure screwed the pooch with Walsh.

I think it was Jimmy Johnson possibly thinking he could be the type of killer QB he was in college if he got a shot in the NFL. I suspect he was going to trade him anyhow but was hoping that he "showed better" so he could get more for him. Johnson was not afraid to take chances or wheel and deal.

He did a great job overall even in Miami. Wannstedt had a few good years there with the team Johnson built. I don't recall what caused him to leave but he does know how to find talent it seems.

Dumbest thing that Jones ever did was insult him and have it caught on tape. Personally I think he was jealous of the attention Johnson got.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't think McVay gives 2 shits about who's being paid the most $ when it comes to deciding who starts. That may have been the case with the crew that was just sent packing... but no way is that the case with our new HC. Just look at what happened with RG-me and Cousins back in Washington.

McVay will start the player that he feels gives the club the best chance to win. I'm sure that Mannion probably was better prepared than Goff was last season... but I bet our Boi Goff will win the starting job fairly this year.

But like I said... if Mannion beats Goff out... McVay isn't gonna start Goff over him because of his draft/payroll #. McVay didn't draft Goff.

Proof of that is that Kupp is already considered a "starter" at WR going into camp based solely on his mini-camp. He was that impressive. Nothing schematic about it, but the Rams are using 3 starting WRs, those being Tavon, Woods, and Kupp.

I totally agree about any Goff v Mannion stuff. McVay is gonna play who earns the job. He's got no allegiance to anyone, save maybe the few he drafted and he doesn't strike me as someone who plays favorites (as we saw with him and Gruden in Washington).

Bottom line is winning. Pretty sure if Mannion leads us to an 11 win season that we're not going to hear a lot of grousing about how Goff should have played. Conversely, if Goff leads us to an 11 win season, I'm pretty sure that we won't hear much guff about how Mannion should have played.

It's all about winning.

I just hope whoever wins the starting job, people get behind them, be it Goff or Mannion.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

you gotta love his logic though - "you drafted him, give him a shot".

he seems to have missed that the rams traded alot of picks to move up and draft goff. then sacked their hc because he was incapable of getting goff ready to play. then hired a new hc with a mission to help goff become the franchise qb.

not sure how he missed all that.