Eric Dickerson on Goff vs. Mannion

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Goff's coaches versus the other two I can't say I don't know. But they did bring guys ion to work with him. Wentz is going to fall apart next year IMO. I didn't like what I saw in highlights from him during his college career. I like Prescott, but he will ALWAYS have the Cowboys stink on him so I cannot root for the guy even though I know he is a good guy.

Goff had a first year OC and a first year QB coach. Weinke the only one playing QB had 7 years of NFL experience as a QB.

Wentz had Doug Pederson a 1st year head coach with 13 years of QB experience, 3 years as a QB coach and 3 years as an OC. Frank Reich as an OC with 14 years of QB experience, 3 years as a QB coach and 3 years as an OC. John DeFilippo with 11 years as a QB coach and 1 year as an OC (he's one many people wanted as our OC for years).

Prescott had Jason Garrett as his HC with 16 years of QB experience, 2 years as a QB coach and 4 years as an OC. Scott Linehan as his OC with 3 years as a QB coach and 19 years as an OC. Wade Wilson as his QB coach with 19 years QB experience and 16 years as a QB coach.

Sorry but the support that Goff received pales in comparison when put up against the other two. Not calling you out on this just responding with what I'd posted before as a comparison.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Far too young to have ever seen Dickerson play and I realise this might be tantamount to blasphemy for some but...

he seems like a bit of a dick (no pun intended).

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
I'm about to burn my Dickerson jersey. He's nothing but a loud mouth, doing nothing but attempting to put himself back in the spotlight. He's nothing but a distraction. For all I care, he can go back to Indy.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I only brought up the 49ers to say the Rams were not the only team considering McVay. McVay was also telling teams that he would bring Wade Phillips with him. McVay had to sell himself to Kroenke, Snead and others..Snead was blown away by how prepared this "kid" was, which did include his plans to develop Goff. As you say, the Rams wanted a QB whisperer and a offensive genius. While neither of us can say the other is wrong absolutely. McVay doesn't seem to be a deceiver, but a true believer in Jared Goff. He says what he says about the best player plays, as motivation for competition, but he came here to develop Jared Goff, not to sit him.

McVay came to become the head coach of the LA Rams. And being as young as he is, did what he had to do and said what he had to say to get the job, IMO. McVay may not seem to be a deceiver to you, but for all we know everything he's said so far about any and everything could merely be coach speak.

That said, even after getting the gig, he'd be crazy not to sing Goff's praises this offseason, if not but for confidence building alone (Goff, team, organization). And, IMO, he'd probably would have taken the job if Goff were on the team or not.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay came to become the head coach of the LA Rams. And being as young as he is, did what he had to do and said what he had to say to get the job, IMO. McVay may not seem to be a deceiver to you, but for all we know everything he's said so far about any and everything could merely be coach speak.

That said, even after getting the gig, he'd be crazy not to sing Goff's praises this offseason, if not but for confidence building alone (Goff, team, organization). And, IMO, he'd probably would have taken the job if Goff were on the team or not.
I have finally met someone more cynical than me. Congrats!:sneaky:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I have finally met someone more cynical than me. Congrats!:sneaky:
The unacheivable has been achieved. Don't know whether we should be impressed or sad.

Ramzheart

Rookie
So there's no hope for Jared?! Good thing they didn't say that about Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, etc.. let's put in their backups and give up on them judging by their rookie years.. granted they didn't have as rough of a rookie season as Goff but they still struggled.

I clearly stated in my post "If Mannion looks better than Goff he should start." I seen what Jared can do and that's all I can judge him on. In my mind there's still at least HOPE for Sean.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I understand he's paid to voice his opinion. But his opinion constantly changes, making him look incompetent.

Hence his opinion is virtually dogshit going forward. He's made it clear, he's more important then the team. So he'll continue these rediculous statements. Don't be surprised if Orlovsky, is the answer going forward after a bad preseason performance by Mannion.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
All i can say is, if Mannion beats Goff out for the starting job, we're in a lot worse shape at that position than we thought.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Eric Dickerson, a former NFL stud RB, is asked a question during an interview on someone's radio show (not his) and he gives his opinion. And just because he doesn't blindly sip kool-aid like most fans in his response, his intentions are questioned and his character is attacked.o_O

My guess is that the majority of posters only read the excerpts and didn't actually take the time to listen to the entire exchange (it's on youtube).

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eric Dickerson, a former NFL stud RB, is asked a question during an interview on someone's radio show (not his) and he gives his opinion. And just because he doesn't blindly sip kool-aid like most fans in his response, his intentions are questioned and his character is attacked.o_O

My guess is that the majority of posters only read the excerpts and didn't actually take the time to listen to the entire exchange (it's on youtube).

Screw that. The only interview I'm listening to taking about the rams is coach mcvay. Or any other rams coach.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Absolutely heard the whole thing and my opinion isn't changed. I've been a fan of ED for 30+ years and know the man as well as any fan. He's welcome to his opinion and is open to criticism for it. Just as I'm open to criticism for my opinions. Him being in the Hall of Fame as a Ram doesn't change anything. o_O

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
He's never had a filter on that mouth of his. He got that honestly... from his Grandmother aka Mom. That, and the fact that "that woman" and her bean counter shaw freaked him over in his prime. He's jaded... and he can't help it.

He still claims to be a Ram forever. He takes pride in that. He may be crazy as a loon with some of his comments (or just trying to sell clicks), but he has decided that he wants to be a Ram... and he never wanted to play elsewhere.

Keep that jersey safe my Brudda. He's one of us!

I didn't say I burned it!:boxing::rolllaugh:

Memphis Ram

Legend
Absolutely heard the whole thing and my opinion isn't changed. I've been a fan of ED for 30+ years and know the man as well as any fan. He's welcome to his opinion and is open to criticism for it. Just as I'm open to criticism for my opinions. Him being in the Hall of Fame as a Ram doesn't change anything. o_O

Sure. Guess that's the world that we live in. But, it's a shame that we've become a world where we can't simply offer criticism of a differing opinion without attacking the person who provided it. And especially, regarding something as trivial in the grand scheme of things.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I understand he's paid to voice his opinion. But his opinion constantly changes, making him look incompetent.

Hence his opinion is virtually dogshit going forward. He's made it clear, he's more important then the team. So he'll continue these rediculous statements. Don't be surprised if Orlovsky, is the answer going forward after a bad preseason performance by Mannion.

He looks incomemtent because he is. That's just my opinion though.

Troy Aikman sure did, he was even worse!

He was terrible his rookie year and a bunch of the fans wanted Walsh I'm sure. That was a crazy time. And Jimmy Johnson scored on trading Walsh. It was one of a few masterful moves he made. Didn't they get Walsh as a street FA?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was terrible his rookie year and a bunch of the fans wanted Walsh I'm sure. That was a crazy time. And Jimmy Johnson scored on trading Walsh. It was one of a few masterful moves he made. Didn't they get Walsh as a street FA?
No he was taken in the supplemental draft and cost the Cowboys the #1 overall pick in the 1990 draft. So they essentially drafted 2 QB's with the 1st pick in the draft in the same year.
Lol
Johnson did favor Walsh though

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I used to love Dickerson, was one of his biggest fans until he blew up his career by his demands!
Enter the trade to Indy. What did he do there? I seem to recall him alienating his offensive line, got a bad rap of not being a good teammate.
What the bleep gives him the right now to try and give his 5 cents? Far as I'm concerned he's a colt- return to sender!!
Then after being with the Colts, he wanted out of there and didn't like the small market. I'm really confused because I love him and his Rams legacy, but don't appreciate him trying to start a crap storm with the new coach. Good Lord, he's becoming Brenda Warner!