End of the road in Seattle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
  • Crucially, the Seahawks’ hallowed home-field advantage, once one of the best in the league, all but disappeared, as Seattle went 4–4 at home.

Quite possibly my favorite stat of the year.

It's worth noting that in those 4 losses they only score4d 76 points, 31 of which came in one game. They are not what they once were, but they can fix it because all they need is some help on the OL and a decent RB. They had a lot of drives snuffed out on third down because they can't run the ball for shit. If you take Wilson's scrambles on broken plays out of the rushing total they have 301 rushes for 994 yards. That's good for 3.3 YPA which is the worst in the NFL and will put an O in a lot of bad down and distance situations.

And defensively they gave up 30 or more 5 times this year and I'd bet they haven't done that since they put the team together a handful of years ago. That defense is inconsistent and IMO declining, it isn't the hard hitting physical unit it has been in the past.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
26169989_1804382042948080_597691088955974402_n.jpg

RamsFlash80

Pro Bowler
As long as they have Wilson they wont ever fully go away but they are trending down on the rest of that roster. 49ers do appear to be our rivals for the West for years to come though.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...chancellor-will-have-hard-time-playing-again/

Pete Carroll: Cliff Avril, Kam Chancellor will have “hard time” playing again
Posted by Josh Alper on January 2, 2018

The Seahawks are out of the playoffs for the first time since 2011 and the team is expected to look quite a bit different once they return to work in 2018.

Many of the changes will come as a result of decisions made by the Seahawks and some will be decisions by players to move on, either because they want to or because it’s in their best medical interests to do so. Defensive end Cliff Avril and safety Kam Chancellor may fall into that last column.

Both players ended the season on injured reserve with neck injuries and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll shared a somber outlook for the future during an appearance on 710 ESPN Tuesday. Carroll said that both players are going to have a “hard time playing football again” as a result of their injuries.

Avril is signed for next season and the Seahawks can recover $7.5 million of his $8 million cap charge if they part ways with him rather than wait to see what he might try to do next season. There’s less cap relief available from releasing Chancellor, who signed a three-year extension with the team last August.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Never said he hasn't done good things in the past. But look at his drafts since that 4 all pro draft. Who do you have that's any good beyond Wilson?

Thought about doing that, then came to my senses and asked myself why I'm defending the Seattle GM.

Bruce Arians after the game...

Arians cracks me up. Really wish he would have hung around so we could enjoy McVay $hitting on him and his Cards for the next five years. Ah well, him taking a crap on the Shehawks in their house is a pretty hilarious ending.

Ram65

Legend
They never replaced Marshawn Lynch. If Wilson is the heart of the Hags offense then Lynch was the soul. That was a big mistake along with not fixing the offensive line. They have had a good run.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ol' Pete, the Legion of Boom, run around Russell...
...those guys all rode on the coat tails of Marshawn Lynch, who was by far the straw that stirred the drink for them.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Knowing Seattle went 4-4 at home (with one of the losses being a serious ass-whupping by the RAMS!!) and that they lost their last game at home, to the Cardinals, when they went in with a chance at the playoffs ... well, that is just a whole bunch of schadenboner-y goodness!

And for bonus, asshat Arians referred to Century Link as "my house" and then retired, guaranteeing the Squawks no chance at all of revenge!

:yay::mrburnsevil::rockon:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno know how fast - or if - they can turn it around.

All I know is... there are a LOT of questions surrounding that team and coaching staff right now.

And I like it!!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That's right, don't build the O-line and keep encouraging Wilson to run. That's the ticket.
***************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/13/seahawks-may-embrace-a-college-style-offense/

Seahawks may embrace a college-style offense
Posted by Mike Florio on January 13, 2018

As the Seahawks try to take their offense to the next level, they could be going down one level.

There’s talk in league circles that the Seahawks are considering the implementation of a college-style offense, one that takes full advantage of quarterback Russell Wilson‘s mobility.

In past years, Wilson used his legs when things broke down. Moving forward, the goal could be to make Wilson’s running skills not the last resort but the predetermined plan.

If that’s the approach, it makes sense. Instead of trying to wedge Wilson’s abilities into a system that fully utilizes them only in the event of emergency, why not unleash them as part of the design?

The potential plan to use a college-style offense could explain the team’s interest in Eagles quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, who per Ian Rapoport of NFL Media is one of the candidates for the job. The Philly offense has those college concepts, as the Broncos and cornerback Chris Harris Jr. realized the hard way during the regular season.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
NFC West is opening up for Rams
http://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles-rams/post/_/id/37478/nfc-west-is-opening-up-for-rams

HOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- It is excruciatingly difficult for general manager Les Snead to watch playoff football these days. Even tuning in for last week's national championship game between Alabama and Georgia gave him trouble, because it took place only two nights after his Los Angeles Rams were eliminated in the first round by the Atlanta Falcons.

But watching that game, and watching Alabama triumph again, reminded Snead of something Nick Saban said immediately after his Crimson Tide lost the 2016 finale to Clemson: "Don't waste the feeling."

"That's kind of where we're at right now -- don't waste that feeling," Snead said. "Let's move to the next step."

The Rams feel good about all they accomplished in 2017, but the playoff loss to the Falcons left them wanting more. Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
Members of the Rams -- from players to coaches to executives -- are disappointed, but also increasingly motivated. They tasted enough success to know they're on the right path, but they came up short enough to realize more work is needed. They have a generally young team, especially at head coach and at quarterback. And they're seemingly poised for years of success given the outlook of the NFC West.

The Arizona Cardinals will begin a complete transformation, with coach Bruce Arians and quarterback Carson Palmer both announcing their retirements earlier this month.

The Seattle Seahawks are going through a thorough makeover, letting go of offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell and reportedly set to part ways with defensive coordinator Kris Richard. Their once-dynamic, now-aging defense could look a lot different next season.

And in a striking example of how the outlook of an entire division can reverse itself in one year, the San Francisco 49ers -- led by head coach Kyle Shanahan and now anchored by quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo -- may now represent the Rams' biggest threat. But those Niners lost 10 of 11 games before Garoppolo took over, and they still have holes throughout their roster.

The path seems clear for the Rams, but they're not taking anything for granted.

"We can control what we can control," Snead said. "I’ll call the rest of the division the enemy. You can’t necessarily control the enemy. The enemy is always going to have a say, no matter what turmoil they’re going through today. Guess what, they’re still going to show up next year to knock you off."

But the Rams, coming off an 11-5 season in which they led the NFL in points, seem so far ahead at this point. Their offense will return almost entirely intact and should only grow in Sean McVay's second year as head coach and offensive play-caller. They'll face tough decisions with several defensive players, but there's little reason to believe they won't be as good or better with another year in Wade Phillips' scheme.

The wild-card loss to the Falcons re-emphasized to McVay just how difficult it is to win in the NFL, and he wanted to make one point clear before the offseason.

"You don't just show up and win games again," McVay said. "While we have a lot of confidence in the players that we'll have and guys that we can continue to build around, we know that it's going to take a lot of hard work. You've got to earn it every single day in this league."

Snead hopes the season-ending loss will give his organization the necessary edge to stay on top in the NFC West.

"I don’t think you’ll ever get over it," Snead said. "You just cope with it, and then use it as fuel."