End of the road in Seattle?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the locker room cracks expanded when they traded for the divisive Duane Brown.

I’ve also always thought Pete Carroll is a good coach when a team is winning. When there are troubles, he lacks something.

I know some are worried if Seattle sneaks in as a Wild Card, but I am not... I think this is a very fragile team. Our victory over them week 15 proved that, IMO.

If you read between the lines of Bennett’s comments, I think the players know it too.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-se...e-for-jimmy-graham-michael-bennett-and-others

Sunday could be Seattle finale for Jimmy Graham, Michael Bennett and others

RENTON, Wash. -- Michael Bennett, the Seattle Seahawks' ninth-year defensive lineman, has been around long enough to know how it works in the NFL.

Getting younger and cheaper is always the name of the game.

"I think things are going to be different," he said recently when asked about the future of Seattle's defense beyond the 2017 season. "That's a part of the NFL. The NFL is a transitional sport and transitional teams. Every year, there's a new transition and new guys and new coaches and new staffs. It's about who can win and how fast they can win, and it's about 'can we get a guy cheaper than the guy in front of him?' This is bound to happen and everything has a shelf life, and us as players, we have shelf lives and our team together has a shelf life."

Several Seahawks might be nearing the end of their shelf life in Seattle as age, salary, injury, contract status and/or performance -- the usual suspects -- could work against their return to the team in 2018.

With the playoffs up in the air for Seattle, here's a look at nine players who could be playing their final game with the Seahawks in Sunday's regular-season finale -- or in the case of three injured stars on defense, might have already done so.

Pending unrestricted free agents

TE Jimmy Graham:
When Graham scored a 3-yard touchdown on his lone catch in Seattle's win against Dallas last week, it was emblematic of his season. He has 10 touchdown receptions to rank in a tie for second among all players and first among tight ends. But his 475 yards through 15 games are well off his 2016 total of 923. That includes a net of 2 yards on two receptions during the Seahawks' past three games as Graham has all but disappeared from their offense save for his latest touchdown. He has also dropped seven passes, according to ESPN charting, which is tied for second most among all players. Graham's long-awaited emergence as a red zone threat will no doubt be enticing to the Seahawks. At the same time, he's 31 with a serious knee injury in his recent past and could potentially still command a contract that pays him close to the $10 million his previous deal averaged.

DT Sheldon Richardson: He's been much more impactful than his lone sack would suggest. Richardson has been strong against the run and has made two of the more significant defensive plays of Seattle's season -- an interception against the Rams in October and a forced fumble near the goal line against Philadelphia in December. The Seahawks probably wouldn't have given up a second-round pick to acquire Richardson in a trade right before the season if they didn't think they'd have a decent chance of re-signing him. How much north of, say, $10 million will they be willing to go? The Seahawks pulled the trigger on the Richardson trade after learning that rookie Malik McDowell would be sidelined following an ATV accident. It's unclear if McDowell will ever be able to play. His status will presumably affect Richardson's situation to some degree.

WR Paul Richardson: He's had a breakout season in the fourth and final year of his rookie contract, catching 44 passes for 703 yards and six touchdowns. The yardage and touchdown totals are more than what he accumulated over his first three seasons combined. Richardson has emerged as Seattle's No. 2 receiver this season behind Doug Baldwin and ahead of Tyler Lockett. Equally significant: he's only missed one game over the past two seasons, showing durability that should mitigate some of the concerns about the injuries that slowed him earlier in his career. In a recent Insider piece for ESPN.com, Field Yates identified Richardson as a pending free agent who could command a bigger deal than most people assume.

Situations affected by injuries

CB Richard Sherman: He might have made this list even if he were healthy. After all, the Seahawks openly shopped Sherman last offseason but hung onto him when no favorable deal materialized. His injury situation adds to the uncertainty. Sherman suffered a ruptured Achilles in Week 10, ending what could have been another All-Pro season -- and possibly his distinguished Seahawks career. Sherman will be 30, entering the final year of his contract and coming off a serious injury. He's scheduled to count $13.2 million against the 2018 cap and would save Seattle $11 million if he were released or traded.

SS Kam Chancellor and DE Cliff Avril: They're in similar situations, having suffered neck injuries that could keep them from playing again. Coach Pete Carroll has been vague about the exact nature of their injuries but has said that both face uncertain football futures. Chancellor just signed an extension with Seattle last offseason and Avril is signed through 2018. Avril's age -- he turns 32 in April -- and contract situation would have made him a potential salary-cap casualty even if he hadn't injured his neck.

Potential cap casualties

DL Bennett: The operative word here is "potential." This one is by no means certain. Bennett is still a disruptive force. He ranks second on the team with 8.5 sacks and is again playing more than any other Seahawks defensive linemen -- by a wide margin -- despite dealing with injuries to his foot and more recently his knee. The Seahawks just gave him a contract extension last December and would incur a significant amount of dead money -- more than $5 million -- if they were to release him this offseason, leaving the net savings at a little more than $2 million (or more if they were to designate him a post-June 1 cut and thereby push some of the dead money to next year). But that might be enough given that Bennett will be 33 next season, an age when his skills could rapidly decline.

P Jon Ryan: This is another one that's possible but not a given. Ryan, 36, is the longest-tenured Seahawk and is two years into a four-year extension he signed in 2016. The Seahawks would eat $1.2 million in dead money by releasing him this offseason while saving a net $2 million.

CB Jeremy Lane: The Seahawks cutting Lane seems like a foregone conclusion. He's been benched twice this season and was traded to the Houston Texans only to return to Seattle because of a failed physical. His contract includes a $7.25 million cap charge for next season, which is obviously prohibitive for a backup cornerback.

Ants

Starter
Seattle doesn't worry me one bit in the playoffs...well, other than the fact that they are an NFL Team.
We really should have beaten them in the first game, and we mashed them in the 2nd game. They don't match up well against us - actually, they never have. Even under Fisher we played them tough.
I would welcome a matchup against Seattle. Easy pickin's.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree CGI...I don't get how some act very worried about meeting this Hawks team in the playoffs. Our Rams are younger, more talented, and hungrier to embarrass those Seachicken bastids whenever possible. THIS time there will be a much louder pro-Rams crowd in the Coliseum ( 75,000), unlike early in the season...

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope the Rams get the Hags for their first playoff game. Rams know how to neutralize their one trick pony offense.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couldn't happen to a better team. Here's to dominating them for the next 10 years.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree CGI...I don't get how some act very worried about meeting this Hawks team in the playoffs. Our Rams are younger, more talented, and hungrier to embarrass those Seachicken bastids whenever possible. THIS time there will be a much louder pro-Rams crowd in the Coliseum ( 75,000), unlike early in the season...
Wilson is the X factor.
Their D is usually good enough to
Keep games close and we have all watched Wilson pull too many out in the last minutes.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wilson is the X factor.
Their D is usually good enough to
Keep games close and we have all watched Wilson pull too many out in the last minutes.
We should have swept the Hawks this year, and we beat ourselves in the first game. The Rams revealed the "X-factor" in the last game as a one-tricky pony...and the Rams destroyed that trick. The Hawks are a paper tiger.

…..

Legend
That shit about to blow up in Seattle. With those idiots, led by kingpin idiot Michael Bennett, I'm guessing the drama will start soon after the game ends.

Free entertainment for us I guess....

Last edited:

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
We've always had Wilson's number, the thing is it's usually been extra-curricular activities that become the deciding factor in these games. Stupid penalties because either team gets chippy and loses their cool in key moments.

The first matchup - Kupp who had been Mr. Reliable up to that point, dropped what should have been the game winner. Then got whalloped on the same route the next play (if I remember right, it looked like it could have been flagged).

I do think Carroll can get his team to lay it all on the line for these last couple games, but if it gets tight, I worry about the players sticking to the script. On both sidelines.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've always had Wilson's number, the thing is it's usually been extra-curricular activities that become the deciding factor in these games. Stupid penalties because either team gets chippy and loses their cool in key moments.

The first matchup - Kupp who had been Mr. Reliable up to that point, dropped what should have been the game winner. Then got whalloped on the same route the next play (if I remember right, it looked like it could have been flagged).

I do think Carroll can get his team to lay it all on the line for these last couple games, but if it gets tight, I worry about the players sticking to the script. On both sidelines.
With all things being equal, the Rams should blow them out again, imo.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I would love the seapigeons in the first round, as would our DL. They'd be licking their chops all week in anticipation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Nothing new here in this NFL story line with this article. Just the fact that it's one of the media's favorite teams ...Seahawks. I have a STRONG dislike for this team overall since the Millennium-Katastrophe none event. I continue to enjoy to see them get beat:sneaky:. I believe I will continue to hope this current team fails. However I do like a few of their players, Wagner, Baldwin & even respect Sherman a lot.

I think it a early early to think that we shall see a quick demise of Seattle due to one big reason John Schneider, He has proven to be one of the best Executive vice president/general managers in the NFL. But recently he has made some poor decisions that has caused this team to not return to the big game after 2015 . This team was by far the best team in the NFL in the 2013 & 2014 seasons. I would point to one major overall flaw where this team has invested big cap contracts on the defensive side of the ball & left the OL to be built by the draft. The lone exception was the trade of malcontent ex Texan veteran LT Brown.

Schneider's decision to rebuild his OL through the last four drafts, where he has utilized 9 selections(1st, 2nd's, 3rd's & 4th rd selections & others rounds) during this period of time & the results have played a major role in this teams slip from the top of the NFL. I hope he continues this way of thinking & we will see them fall to the bottom of the NFC West.

fearsomefour

Legend
We should have swept the Hawks this year, and we beat ourselves in the first game. The Rams revealed the "X-factor" in the last game as a one-tricky pony...and the Rams destroyed that trick. The Hawks are a paper tiger.
They beat us.
We beat them badly.
We will see how they are going forward.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
As long as Wilson's on the team, they need to be respected.

Fuck that.

Go Falcons, beat their asses and send them home!

Then, they can. FINALLY. GO. AWAY.

sherman2-1-6-131.gif

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think we can go ahead and remove the ?. Without Russell they'd be in the toilet next couple years but even with him they'll have to have one hell of an off season to win the division anytime soon.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I would love to take Wagner off their hands.

I hope the rest of the team implodes.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Pete is a great head coach. They don't matter this year but as long as he is in place with that GM Seattle is a threat any given year.

IMO they need a quick rebuild but still have a lot of pieces.