Edge Rushers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Maybe Key falls to pick 87. Would get a 1st round talent in round 3, at a spot the Rams need help. Do like Longacre to get more snaps, hopefully he is over the injury.

Justin15w

UDFA
Name
justin15w
Not suspended, just not starter material as he was never really meant to be unless under some sub-packages. He's been an adequate back-up behind Donald and proved last season that he should also be a reliable back-up behind Suh, as he was surprisingly effective in the middle, ... his only real failure was on the left side which prompted Brockers to swap positions with Westbrooks. At this point I have to believe he is well ahead of Walker, Smart & Fox for remaining on the roster, but he is basically a reserve or rotational player imo.

Great analysis - thanks!

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Here's hoping that we get Hercules Mata'afa in the fourth round.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yea if we can find a gem or two in rounds 3-4 I think Wade can work his magic. One cheap veteran addition would make me feel a bit better.

I don't get it. You lament the talent already on the team then say wade can work his magic with someone from this draft. He hand picked ebukam in last year's draft. Can't he work his magic with him?

MachS

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't get it. You lament the talent already on the team then say wade can work his magic with someone from this draft. He hand picked ebukam in last year's draft. Can't he work his magic with him?

I actually like Ebukam and think he's the best edge presence on our roster. Of course Wade can and will work his magic with him. But what I meant was IF we can find a gem in the middle rounds and parlay that with another veteran, I think we'll be in good shape.

Relying on a mid round rookie to start and make an impact is overly optimistic IMO. I trust Wade more than any other D coordinator to scheme pressure, I just wish he had one or two more edge pieces, thats all.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Any chance Price gets a real shot? I think just too short for the edge. I think his only shot is to learn to play inside... could be a great blitzer and add size/bulk inside against the run.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Interesting.. Tavon was willing to restructure his contract to stay in LA. If the Rams trade him after that, it'll probably be in bad faith?

Here's hoping that we get Hercules Mata'afa in the fourth round.

The Rams couldn't trade Tavon with his cap hit and salary. If he plays out the new contract with L.A. and becomes a free agent, then at least they get a comp pick of some sort, instead of nothing, if they had released him. Tavon gets another year to prove his worth. If he does that, then he may increase his free agent value. Tavon has an opportunity to make a lot of money again, and the Rams get a higher comp pick. Win / WIn.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Rams couldn't trade Tavon with his cap hit and salary. If he plays out the new contract with L.A. and becomes a free agent, then at least they get a comp pick of some sort, instead of nothing, if they had released him. Tavon gets another year to prove his worth. If he does that, then he may increase his free agent value. Tavon has an opportunity to make a lot of money again, and the Rams get a higher comp pick. Win / WIn.
yeah i dont want us to trade him. hope he finds a good role in the offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Wait, why did you quote me, Elm?

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Not sure I can agree on it being overblown, we lost Ogletree inside and Quinn & Barwin outside, trying to upgrade or break even on these losses isn't exactly what I would call overblown. We don't know yet what littleton, Ebukam or Longacre will offer as starters, and we know less what Sickels & Thompson brings in reserve. Ejuan Price comes from the Practice Squad, so even if we have fairly good feelings about their potential, and while it's unlikely to expect an instantly elite starting edge rusher where we will be drafting, fans seeking a quality edge rusher can hardly be blamed for wanting to upgrade where we can. The Rams have improved several positions and we are yet to begin our drafting, seems logical to discuss what may be unfinished business with some of these other positions. jmo.
Losing Ogletree/Quinn- it is overblown.I trust in Wade.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Forget Barwin, although I wouldn't mind him returning as a coach, ... I'm thinking in the plural with 8 picks we may draft more than one outside guy. Real needs for me now are at OLB, S and OL depth. Probably add a scat back RB as a change of pace from Gurley.

Jeff Holland & Josh Sweat to compete with Garrett Sickels & Ejuan Price suits me. jmo.
Just curious. I keep seeing this change of pace back being thrown into the mix when people talk about the draft. Sure seems that TA is that guy and probably better than anyone we could draft. That's almost all we do with him. Does anyone really think a 6th round RB is going to do a better job?

wmc540

Pro Bowler
I am actually excited about Ebukam and Longacre on the edge. You always try to up grade of course weather it's starters or depth..... but I think Ebukam will be a star this year surrounded by all the talent on this defense and with the experience he gained last year. As for Longacre.. he is a work hard technician type, who's athletic ability won't wow you....but he gets the job done... and was having a pretty good year sack wise before he got hurt in his part time role.

Go Rams....... ;)

I'm not sure I would expect much from Longacre coming off of back surgery.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Just curious. I keep seeing this change of pace back being thrown into the mix when people talk about the draft. Sure seems that TA is that guy and probably better than anyone we could draft. That's almost all we do with him. Does anyone really think a 6th round RB is going to do a better job?

My feeling is that the Rams can do better than Austin while also saving money. We've all seen how Tavon struggles with receiving, where Gurley has a 73.6% catch percentage, and Brown has an 81.8% catch percentage, Austin lags with a 59.1% record. His yards per reception is also a poor 3.6 in comparison to Gurley's 12.3. Austin's rush game is limited, although his blocking and 4.6 yards per carry is very good, but he has also been removed from any punt return duties and offers little for special teams play any longer. Austin is likely to remain with the team this coming season since re-negotiating his salary, but how many of us really expect him to stick past this year ? This next draft presents several quality RB's which should be available in the later rounds, and the Rams may want to look towards the future at this position while seeking improved & much more affordable depth. jmo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
My feeling is that the Rams can do better than Austin while also saving money. We've all seen how Tavon struggles with receiving, where Gurley has a 73.6% catch percentage, and Brown has an 81.8% catch percentage, Austin lags with a 59.1% record. His yards per reception is also a poor 3.6 in comparison to Gurley's 12.3. Austin's rush game is limited, although his blocking and 4.6 yards per carry is very good, but he has also been removed from any punt return duties and offers little for special teams play any longer. Austin is likely to remain with the team this coming season since re-negotiating his salary, but how many of us really expect him to stick past this year ? This next draft presents several quality RB's which should be available in the later rounds, and the Rams may want to look towards the future at this position while seeking improved & much more affordable depth. jmo.
I get that but unless TA goes somewhere, we could use that pick next year and not waste a roster spot. Those kinds of flyer picks are available each and every year and the chance of one playing ahead of TA is remote at best. I would say that if any position has a chance to stick and contribute with those lower picks, you go for it - and that includes change of pace back. But I really think that position is low on the list. Now with the addition of Cooks who can take the ball out of the backfield, it dropped another notch IMO. I'd rather they take a shot at a player that if he comes out of nowhere, would be a major factor. I mean, if you are taking a flyer, take a flyer.