Edge Rushers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Who are we rolling out this year?

-Ebukam
-Longacre
-Price

This has to mean we're bringing Barwin back right? If we draft the best edge rusher available with our 3rd round pick is that enough?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We'll start who Wade likes. If he likes Ebukam and Longacre to start well I'm ok because that man has forgotten more about defenses than the collective ROD membership has ever known. If it's good enough for Wade it should be good enough for us.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

-Ebukam
-Longacre
-Price

This has to mean we're bringing Barwin back right? If we draft the best edge rusher available with our 3rd round pick is that enough?

Forget Barwin, although I wouldn't mind him returning as a coach, ... I'm thinking in the plural with 8 picks we may draft more than one outside guy. Real needs for me now are at OLB, S and OL depth. Probably add a scat back RB as a change of pace from Gurley.

Jeff Holland & Josh Sweat to compete with Garrett Sickels & Ejuan Price suits me. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

-Ebukam
-Longacre
-Price

I been posting for some time now.... do not count out Cory Littleton playing a big part as an edge rusher playing on either side as an edge rusher. You will need to consider last season Edge Rusher who saw limited action like Carlos Thompson ER 6-5 250 & Garrett Sickels ER 6-4 252 lbs.

With our outstanding talented secondary where Wade has 3 pro bowl corners Talib- Peters-Shields. The depth is also out of this world with NRC - Webster- Hill - Peterson ? Great set of young safeties Joyner & JJ III.....Really how many inside LB'ers will be on the field in passing situations when Wade has so many bona fide DB's?

Rams could field four DL'ers in thier Nickle & Dime passing front why would you not utilize your four first round DL picks like Brockers- Suh- Easley - Donald ?

Rams might draft a NT or RT in the 3rd round. Edge Rusher like Jeff Holland might be hard to pass on though he would be an excellent replacement for Conner Barwin on that strong side.

Last edited:

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
I feel like the whole lack of edge rushers thing is being overblown.

1. You don’t need an elite edge rusher when you got brockers, suh, Donald, and Easley and other productive backups as your dline man. That’s enough pressure in itself and any pressure from an old is just an added bonus

2. In today’s nfl you are in you nickel defense more than your base 3-4/4-3. And with a high scoring offense like the rams have that number will only be higher. So you really only have 1 olb on the field majority of the time

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

1. You don’t need an elite edge rusher when you got brockers, suh, Donald, and Easley and other productive backups as your dline man. That’s enough pressure in itself and any pressure from an old is just an added bonus

2. In today’s nfl you are in you nickel defense more than your base 3-4/4-3. And with a high scoring offense like the rams have that number will only be higher. So you really only have 1 olb on the field majority of the time
Would you not think that the possible 2018 Nickle/Dime front DL Suh/ Donald/ Brockers/ Easley front would be an improvement to the 2017 nickel/dime DL front of Barwin/Brockers/Donald/Quinn ?

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame

-Ebukam
-Longacre
-Price

Connor-Barwin-130201-24.jpg

boys.png

I mean...he looks like a roided version of Adam Sandler. Who's to say he can't be our water boy?

Seriously, though. I wouldn't mind Barwin staying on to rotate and add veteran presence. He really seems like a good team guy.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Barwin would be good against the rush, as that is where his strength lays. Against the pass, not so much.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Not sure I can agree on it being overblown, we lost Ogletree inside and Quinn & Barwin outside, trying to upgrade or break even on these losses isn't exactly what I would call overblown. We don't know yet what littleton, Ebukam or Longacre will offer as starters, and we know less what Sickels & Thompson brings in reserve. Ejuan Price comes from the Practice Squad, so even if we have fairly good feelings about their potential, and while it's unlikely to expect an instantly elite starting edge rusher where we will be drafting, fans seeking a quality edge rusher can hardly be blamed for wanting to upgrade where we can. The Rams have improved several positions and we are yet to begin our drafting, seems logical to discuss what may be unfinished business with some of these other positions. jmo.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Jeff Holland
Huh? From Where and why did this name pop up. You can't only just drop a name without some explanation! My brain can't handle such randomness!:headexplosion:

Is it safe to assume that you'd like the Rams to draft this defensive lineman?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Huh? From Where and why did this name pop up. You can't only just drop a name without some explanation! My brain can't handle such randomness!:headexplosion:

Is it safe to assume that you'd like the Rams to draft this defensive lineman?

Round 4 Pick #11 - Jeff Holland OLB Auburn

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkzzTPeHBpQ

Analysis: You may not have heard of Jeff Holland as he only has one year of starting experience, but he made the most of that year by posting 45 tackles, 13 TFLs, 10 sacks, and 4 FFs in his only year starting in the SEC. What stood out to me while watching Holland is all of the stats that won't show up on the box score. I don't know if I've seen another guy in this class who pressures the QB as much as Holland. Watching his bowl game against UCF, he pressured the QB on almost every single passing play. At 6'1" 249 pounds with 33.5 arms and 10.5 hands, Holland has very long arms and big hands for his size. He definitely fits the mold of a 3-4 OLB. Holland uses his long arms and big hands to win consistently as an edge rusher. He has some of the most polished hand usage and sophisticated pass rush plans in this class. Holland actually has taken martial arts training to improve his hand fighting ability. As it stands now, his go-to moves are the two-handed swipe and the rip and run. Holland consistently wins off the edge by using his advanced hand usage, outstanding punch timing, natural leverage, and polished body positioning to thwart the attempts of tackles to push him past the pocket. Holland's powerful lower body and great balance also allow him to flatten out when turning the corner and prevent OTs from riding him past the QB. Young pass rushers should watch Holland's film to learn how to use their inside arm to soften the edge. Simply put, Holland won't be a workout warrior and doesn't have the prettiest looking body, but he wins as a pass rusher with technical skill, football IQ, heavy hands, power, balance, and tenaciousness. He actually posted comparable production to Carl Lawson, who posted 8.5 sacks as a rookie with the Bengals in 2017. As a run defender, Holland uses his natural leverage, power, and advanced hand usage to set a hard edge. He has some tightness in his lower body which limits his ability to drop into coverage and prevents him from reaching his full potential as a finisher and as a run defender in space, but Holland is a tenacious pass rusher who should drive NFL QBs crazy with his constant pressure.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I wouldn't mind picking Dumervill up for a 1yr deal. He still has a bit left in him.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Not sure I can agree on it being overblown, we lost Ogletree inside and Quinn & Barwin outside, trying to upgrade or break even on these losses isn't exactly what I would call overblown. We don't know yet what littleton, Ebukam or Longacre will offer as starters, and we know less what Sickels & Thompson brings in reserve. Ejuan Price comes from the Practice Squad, so even if we have fairly good feelings about their potential, and while it's unlikely to expect an instantly elite starting edge rusher where we will be drafting, fans seeking a quality edge rusher can hardly be blamed for wanting to upgrade where we can. The Rams have improved several positions and we are yet to begin our drafting, seems logical to discuss what may be unfinished business with some of these other positions. jmo.

I was speaking on edge rushers so Ogletree doesnt really fall under this topic. yes we loss quinn but got suh, and at their current level of play id gladly argue Suh offers more pass and run stopping than quinn. barwin was hardly an edge rusher so again not really a need to place rush wise.

yes the team needs OLBs, whether its new players or guys on the roster stepping up, but their dont need to be great at rushing the passer. in fact id agrue with suh and easley back and no longer having an almost pure rusher in quinn wade could be looking for a more rounded player to fill in for quinn so he can drop him back into coverage and use a more variety of blitzes

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I was speaking on edge rushers so Ogletree doesnt really fall under this topic. yes we loss quinn but got suh, and at their current level of play id gladly argue Suh offers more pass and run stopping than quinn. barwin was hardly an edge rusher so again not really a need to place rush wise.

yes the team needs OLBs, whether its new players or guys on the roster stepping up, but their dont need to be great at rushing the passer. in fact id agrue with suh and easley back and no longer having an almost pure rusher in quinn wade could be looking for a more rounded player to fill in for quinn so he can drop him back into coverage and use a more variety of blitzes

Well, I guess you can take comfort in the fact that we won't be drafting until later in the the 3'rd round and there will be fewer options for that quality overblown edge rusher. :palm:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Rams were horrendous in contain last year. It's not overblown. Ebu might be able to fill the left side where Barwin was, but blindside is an enormous, gaping need.

Just get Wade some more talent. Doesn't have to be elite types, but he has to have more to work with.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Rams were horrendous in contain last year. It's not overblown. Ebu might be able to fill the left side where Barwin was, but blindside is an enormous, gaping need.

Just get Wade some more talent. Doesn't have to be elite types, but he has to have more to work with.

i dont really consider contain as pass rushing though. the point im trying to make is that with the stacked DL and secondary they have, they dont need a great pass rusher at OLB, they need people that can do the other stuff like contain/hold the edge, fill in on run support, drop into coverage at times, etc. not saying they dont need good OLB play, just that it doesnt need to be great pass rushing skills

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

I'll say it right now... I like Holland better than any of the first round guys like Landry.

I think Holland could explode like Von Miller...no joke.

Honestly, if we trade up for him, I'm not even mad. Dude's gonna be a beast if they put him in the Rush role like Miller for any 3-4. I think he'd be underutilized in a 4-3.

So, yeah, I think he could be a freaking STAR in a 3-4.