Edge Rushers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I get that but unless TA goes somewhere, we could use that pick next year and not waste a roster spot. Those kinds of flyer picks are available each and every year and the chance of one playing ahead of TA is remote at best. I would say that if any position has a chance to stick and contribute with those lower picks, you go for it - and that includes change of pace back. But I really think that position is low on the list. Now with the addition of Cooks who can take the ball out of the backfield, it dropped another notch IMO. I'd rather they take a shot at a player that if he comes out of nowhere, would be a major factor. I mean, if you are taking a flyer, take a flyer.

Sounds like you either don't want competition for Justin Davis' role as the 3'rd RB or you want Austin to replace Davis along with any new RB added to the camp roster ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am actually excited about Ebukam and Longacre on the edge. You always try to up grade of course weather it's starters or depth..... but I think Ebukam will be a star this year surrounded by all the talent on this defense and with the experience he gained last year. As for Longacre.. he is a work hard technician type, who's athletic ability won't wow you....but he gets the job done... and was having a pretty good year sack wise before he got hurt in his part time role.

Go Rams....... ;)

Morgan Fox & Westbrook’s bring a lot to the DL . Then you add T. Smart & the DL looks solid.

Connor Barwin is still listed on The Rams roster. They still might pick him up after the draft ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sounds like you either don't want competition for Justin Davis' role as the 3'rd RB or you want Austin to replace Davis along with any new RB added to the camp roster ?

Les seems to find RB’s late . The Rams (McVay) brought Dunbar in last year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's also why I have Miami's Mark Walton mocked in the 6'th round.

I have not really paid much attention to RB’s this year. I did like Hunt a lot & could not believe he slipped.

Cooks from Fl. St. Last year drafted by Vikings
Was high on my list. The Rams got Everett & JJ111 , plus Les was not drafting a RB last season.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
No. I don't want to waste one of our few remaining draft picks on someone who might play one down if he happens to stick. And that one down is predicated by subbing in for Gurley or Brown or TA or Davis or enter UDFA here. I just don't see it as a position I would include in almost every mock draft I see. Change of pace back. Meh. We got that roll filled in spades and I would bet that most players that would fill that roll will be undrafted and can be picked up by the Rams after the draft. What player wouldn't want to go to the Rams this season if given the chance?

Think about it. Smart, Price, Hemmingway, Thomas, Wichman, Hager, EJ Gaines, Zuerlein, Richardson, Sims, Selvie.... All 6th or 7th round picks for the Rams. Certainly not world beating talent aside from Greg but players that have started games and/or been decent contributors on NFL teams. Those are the types of players I would like to see us take a flyer on. Players that could be depth or push the starters - hell - at least be plus additions to ST.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
No. I don't want to waste one of our few remaining draft picks on someone who might play one down if he happens to stick. And that one down is predicated by subbing in for Gurley or Brown or TA or Davis or enter UDFA here. I just don't see it as a position I would include in almost every mock draft I see. Change of pace back. Meh. We got that roll filled in spades and I would bet that most players that would fill that roll will be undrafted and can be picked up by the Rams after the draft. What player wouldn't want to go to the Rams this season if given the chance?

Think about it. Smart, Price, Hemmingway, Thomas, Wichman, Hager, EJ Gaines, Zuerlein, Richardson, Sims, Selvie.... All 6th or 7th round picks for the Rams. Certainly not world beating talent aside from Greg but players that have started games and/or been decent contributors on NFL teams. Those are the types of players I would like to see us take a flyer on. Players that could be depth or push the starters - hell - at least be plus additions to ST.

The expectation of a 3'rd RB is more about an unforeseen accident or health issue should Gurley be injured, not necessarily about what he'll bring if Gurley remains healthy heading into and throughout the play-offs. jmo.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The expectation of a 3'rd RB is more about an unforeseen accident or health issue should Gurley be injured, not necessarily about what he'll bring if Gurley remains healthy heading into and throughout the play-offs. jmo.
But see... now that is a different story entirely. If you think you can get a back-up RB for depth that is an every down type back or that can be more than a one down player and that can also beat out Brown, go for it. But that is not the original idea that I was questioning. This is to what I was responding:
Real needs for me now are at OLB, S and OL depth. Probably add a scat back RB as a change of pace from Gurley.
I keep seeing this idea in people's mocks - not just your post - and I just don't get why we would go after this type of player THIS year with one of our few draft picks. We need cheap depth. Cutting TA will do us virtually no good. AND we kinda have that position covered. Next year? Sure.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
But see... now that is a different story entirely. If you think you can get a back-up RB for depth that is an every down type back or that can be more than a one down player and that can also beat out Brown, go for it. But that is not the original idea that I was questioning. This is to what I was responding:

I keep seeing this idea in people's mocks - not just your post - and I just don't get why we would go after this type of player THIS year with one of our few draft picks. We need cheap depth. Cutting TA will do us virtually no good. AND we kinda have that position covered. Next year? Sure.

It's always implied with what a #3 or even a scatback might bring to the table. If Gurley went down, likely Brown would inherit most of his snaps, the #3 would now be that change of pace rotational guy. Even with a healthy Gurley, a true scatback is likely to get more snaps than Justin Davis managed. If Austin could catch and get yards after the catch, he might have been that guy, but he can't and isn't that person. If Davis wins back the job in 2018, more power to him, increased depth is all i'm aiming for at that position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Use a 6th on Tyquan Lewis from Ohio St.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It's always implied with what a #3 or even a scatback might bring to the table. If Gurley went down, likely Brown would inherit most of his snaps, the #3 would now be that change of pace rotational guy. Even with a healthy Gurley, a true scatback is likely to get more snaps than Justin Davis managed. If Austin could catch and get yards after the catch, he might have been that guy, but he can't and isn't that person. If Davis wins back the job in 2018, more power to him, increased depth is all i'm aiming for at that position.
All I'm saying is that I'm fine with RB depth but I don't think that includes drafting a scat back type player this year. RB depth itself is not a bad position for which to draft. A scat back with this roster IMO is a wasted pick and one extremely unlikely to make the final cut. But hey. If they do it then they see a player they like. I'm going to guess not.

It's also considered a deep draft for defense. If you have a LB sitting there that even has a chance at starting or being your back-up, do you really take a scat back? If you have a raw O-lineman that could possibly be molded, do you go after someone to replace Davis who had exactly one running play for one yard?

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm not sure I would expect much from Longacre coming off of back surgery.

You may be right... I haven't heard the status of his back injury or rehab....have you? So far the rams haven't been in a hurry to replace him.... it will be interesting to see.

Go Rams....... ;)

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I forgot to reply. I was going to say that I am not a big Mata afa fan.

Huh. Any reason? He reminds me of a lesser Melvin Ingram with his brute strength and explosive first step.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Huh. Any reason? He reminds me of a lesser Melvin Ingram with his brute strength and explosive first step.

I don't think he has much beyond strength and a quick first step. No moves, not fast, short. He is a miniature DT. He doesn't have OLB type athleticism. He could be a good situational pass rusher on the inside. But I think most NFL left tackles would eat him up. He doesn't have good bend, and when he misses with his first step he gets easily washed out. He doesn't have the type of moves needed to rush from the edge. It's a longer distance. That is where the lack of speed hurts. He won't be able to drop into coverage. And despite making plays in the backfield he isn't a great tackler. He lacks the lateral movement skills to hold the edge against the run. He won't make a good Outside Linebacker. He may be a sixth round pick.

dang

Legend
I’d like to see a combination of a vet pickup (Barwin, Junior Galette) a potential starter drafted round 3/4 (Ejiofor, Sweat, Holland) and depth drafted in round 5/6 (Aruna, Lewis). Noting that Rams will be trading draft picks so many combinations of 3/4/5/6 picks possible.