Eagles trade with Browns to move up to #2 overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
costner.jpg

…..

Legend
All I can think of is......

What THE FU_K are the Eagles doing? Do THEY even know?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...eagles-traded-with-the-browns?linkId=23684924

Yikes!

Report: Sam Bradford upset that the Eagles traded with the Browns
By John Breech | CBSSports.com

April 20, 2016 8:05 pm ET

Apparently, the Philadelphia Eagles forgot to tell Sam Bradford that they were going to trade up to draft a quarterback in the NFL Draft.

After Bradford found out about the trade that went down between the Eagles and Browns on Wednesday, he reportedly became upset with his team for making the move up to the No. 2 spot in the NFL Draft.

"He's hot," a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "Who wouldn't be? This is Philly saying, 'We don't see (you) as long-term answer.' He's mad and wants to show everyone who's best."

If it makes Bradford feel any better, Eagles fans seem to hate the trade, too.

The Eagles have spent the entire offseason telling everyone that Bradford's their starting quarterback going forward. However, Bradford's clearly an "actions speak louder than words" person, and he doesn't seem to be a fan of any of the actions/moves the Eagles are making.

Back in March, Philly signed Chase Daniel to a three-year, $21 million deal that included $12 million in guarantees. That move came just days after the Eagles signed Bradford to a two-year, $36 million deal that included $22 million in guaranteed money.

Bradford said last week that he wasn't too worried about the possibility of the Eagles adding another quarterback.

"I learned a long time ago to stay away from all that stuff," Bradford said. "It's not the first time I've gone through that situation like this. I'm not going to worry about anything I can't control. There's no reason into wasting any time or worry into that."

However, those comments came before the big trade, and Bradford probably thought there was no way Philly was going to pick a quarterback at the No. 8 spot, which is where they were before swapping with the Browns.

Bradford probably wouldn't be upset about Wednesday's trade if he thought the Eagles were going to pass on a quarterback with the No. 2 pick, but that's not going to happen.

Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman made it clear on Wednesday that Philly is going to take a quarterback with the second pick.

"We're going to invest in quarterbacks," Roseman said, via NFL.com. "We had time as an organization to study: What are the keys to winning? What are the keys to being a championship caliber over a long period of time? ... It's quarterbacks. If you commit that you're going to invest in quarterbacks and you have people here who we think can teach quarterbacks as well as any in the National Football League, sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is."

The problem with investing in quarterbacks is that, thanks to the salary cap, you only have so much money to invest.

Despite the potential money issues that come with having three quarterbacks on the roster, Roseman said on Wednesday that Bradford is the team's starting quarterback.

"Let me be clear, Sam Bradford is our starting quarterback," Roseman said. "We told Sam that. We intend to support him and the moves we made this offseason we believe will give us a chance to compete this season."

However, Bradford probably shouldn't get comfortable in Philly because if the Eagles draftCarson Wentz or Jared Goff and that guy looks impressive during training camp, the Eagles will have 22 million reasons to trade Bradford.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...eagles-traded-with-the-browns?linkId=23684924

Yikes!

Report: Sam Bradford upset that the Eagles traded with the Browns
By John Breech | CBSSports.com

April 20, 2016 8:05 pm ET

Apparently, the Philadelphia Eagles forgot to tell Sam Bradford that they were going to trade up to draft a quarterback in the NFL Draft.

After Bradford found out about the trade that went down between the Eagles and Browns on Wednesday, he reportedly became upset with his team for making the move up to the No. 2 spot in the NFL Draft.

"He's hot," a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter. "Who wouldn't be? This is Philly saying, 'We don't see (you) as long-term answer.' He's mad and wants to show everyone who's best."

If it makes Bradford feel any better, Eagles fans seem to hate the trade, too.

The Eagles have spent the entire offseason telling everyone that Bradford's their starting quarterback going forward. However, Bradford's clearly an "actions speak louder than words" person, and he doesn't seem to be a fan of any of the actions/moves the Eagles are making.

Back in March, Philly signed Chase Daniel to a three-year, $21 million deal that included $12 million in guarantees. That move came just days after the Eagles signed Bradford to a two-year, $36 million deal that included $22 million in guaranteed money.

Bradford said last week that he wasn't too worried about the possibility of the Eagles adding another quarterback.

"I learned a long time ago to stay away from all that stuff," Bradford said. "It's not the first time I've gone through that situation like this. I'm not going to worry about anything I can't control. There's no reason into wasting any time or worry into that."

However, those comments came before the big trade, and Bradford probably thought there was no way Philly was going to pick a quarterback at the No. 8 spot, which is where they were before swapping with the Browns.

Bradford probably wouldn't be upset about Wednesday's trade if he thought the Eagles were going to pass on a quarterback with the No. 2 pick, but that's not going to happen.

Eagles executive vice president Howie Roseman made it clear on Wednesday that Philly is going to take a quarterback with the second pick.

"We're going to invest in quarterbacks," Roseman said, via NFL.com. "We had time as an organization to study: What are the keys to winning? What are the keys to being a championship caliber over a long period of time? ... It's quarterbacks. If you commit that you're going to invest in quarterbacks and you have people here who we think can teach quarterbacks as well as any in the National Football League, sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is."

The problem with investing in quarterbacks is that, thanks to the salary cap, you only have so much money to invest.

Despite the potential money issues that come with having three quarterbacks on the roster, Roseman said on Wednesday that Bradford is the team's starting quarterback.

"Let me be clear, Sam Bradford is our starting quarterback," Roseman said. "We told Sam that. We intend to support him and the moves we made this offseason we believe will give us a chance to compete this season."

However, Bradford probably shouldn't get comfortable in Philly because if the Eagles draftCarson Wentz or Jared Goff and that guy looks impressive during training camp, the Eagles will have 22 million reasons to trade Bradford.
Ya think? Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
On Sirius today they mentioned Sam's cap hit plus Chase Daniels' hit is roughly $18 million give or take. Which is about equal to many starters and pretty shrewd.

I think taking a QB in round 1 on top of those guys is shrewd too, because nothing is going to light a fire under a competitor's butt more than a round 1 pick at his position. It's ideal now with a high talent QBotF there too.

The problem is that trade up and that Philly doesn't have a roster as deep as ours. But you know it's not a bad idea to load QBs for a first year coach because by year 2 or 3 if he makes it there he will have a lot of options at the most important position. I'm kind of impressed by what they've done and they probably pick high next year too and it will be ok due to the coach just getting through year one.

…..

Legend
Could fisher have maybe mentioned who they were drafting to Philly so the eagles would then jump ahead of the niners who may lose Kapernick and we're probably very interested in moving up or even staying put and taking the 2nd qb off the board?

Way to stick it to the niners, jeff.

Unless that then provides an avenue for the 9ers to trade for Bradford, and he beats us on opening night on Monday Night Football in our brand new city.

Yikes....bleh...cough***, gurgle, choke!

<- washing my mouth out with soap.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Could fisher have maybe mentioned who they were drafting to Philly so the eagles would then jump ahead of the niners who may lose Kapernick and we're probably very interested in moving up or even staying put and taking the 2nd qb off the board?

Way to stick it to the niners, jeff.

One things for sure; the cat is out of the bag on who the rams are picking. I can see one team, especially the browns, making the mistake of trading down before knowing for sure that they lost their guy, but 2 teams pulling the trigger prematurely when all they had to do was wait and see who the rams were getting? Add all the rumors and intel about who the 3 teams preferred and it looks like goff at number one

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
What type of offense is Philly planning on running this season?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Never seen a team invest THAT much in the position. Can't argue the importance though.
It is a ton of cap for sure.
Look at it this way, they couldn't have known the future. Signed Sam as starter and Daniels to backup all looked good. They could have tried to move to 1 and didn't have the ammo . Then he Browns wanted to trade down and boom it happened.
Don't blame them. .500 team with Bradford so harder to trade up from mid- pack next year.
Bradford is moveable to gets some draft picks back if they want to go that route.
If nothing else this for he first time in his life should light a fire under his ass to see what he's got.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
That means those bitches aren't getting Zeke. I hope we can trade down and grab him. Ramsey may go #3.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
All I can think of is......

What THE FU_K are the Eagles doing? Do THEY even know?

They're paying a high rent on Bradford (and Daniels) for a year while they groom their Franchise QB, Wentz. Then, likely next year, they can trade Bradford for a modest $4M dead money hit and retain Daniels because the two of them (Wentz and Daniels) won't cost what a single franchise QB costs.

tempests

Hall of Fame
If what he cares about most is money, then you are correct.

More accurately, "if he cares about money", and they all do.

I wonder though if he cares about the fact that Philly just gave him a big vote of no confidence for the long-term.

Vets aren't intimidated by rookies.

I assume Bradford's self-aware enough to know he has to win his new HC over.

Last edited:

…..

Legend
They're paying a high rent on Bradford (and Daniels) for a year while they groom their Franchise QB, Wentz. Then, likely next year, they can trade Bradford for a modest $4M dead money hit and retain Daniels because the two of them (Wentz and Daniels) won't cost what a single franchise QB costs.
sounds almost reasonable the way you put it. But you're speaking with the benifit of an distant obsevers assumption.

It appears to me , that they are shooting from the hip and trying to explain later. Its not like they have an ex Oregon coach to blame anymore, so their actions are peculiar to say the least. In no way does their approach appear to be based on any actual planning, but more like a plan changing with every full moon.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
sounds almost reasonable the way you put it. But you're speaking with the benifit of an distant obsevers assumption.

It appears to me , that they are shooting from the hip and trying to explain later. Its not like they have an ex Oregon coach to blame anymore, so their actions are peculiar to say the least. In no way does their approach appear to be based on any actual planning, but more like a plan changing with every full moon.

I think it is partially improvised, as opportunities come up and as required.

First they signed Bradford before free agency - they knew if they waited they either would have to franchise him or there was a good risk of losing him, leaving them potentially with Sanchez as their starter.

Bradford of course has the injury risk, so they wanted as good of a backup as possible, figuring that there was a better than average chance based on his career that he would miss a chunk of time. So they signed Chase.

Then they tried to move up but didn't expect it to happen, given that they had already traded their second, and were picking 13th. But they were able to move up to #8, which made it remotely possible. Finally, after the Rams had jumped in front of them Cleveland was willing to trade, so they did what they really wanted to do all along - draft a top QB prospect.

I would expect them to trade one of their QBs either at the trade deadline or next offseason, to recoup some of the picks.

If they had just planned on drafting a QB, and they couldn't find a trade partner - they would have been SOL.

jap

Legend
I'm a fan of Wentz, I get a little googley eyed when I watch clips of him but I think you can't discount the incredible accuracy of Goff. It just puts him over in my eyes. That accuracy, it's not as sexy as being the bigger more athletic QB but the touchdowns that come with it will be mucho mucho sexy!!

With all due respect, QB accuracy and smart decision-making are far, far, far! more sexier to this writer than anything else in a QB's repertoire.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I also think it says something that the 1st and 2nd picks got traded this year to teams that were originally picking 13th and 15th - these QBs will be great complimentary pieces, but not rebuild your franchise pieces (I realize the Titans wouldn't have drafted a QB and that the Eagles got to 8 before trading with the Browns, but I still think this is worth noting)
Cleve and Ten are both teams that are rebuilding and have a lot of holes to fill. Both teams scored a boat load of picks that used wisely will go a long ways in rebuilding their rosters. Tenn has their QB and need the extra picks.The browns need to add a lot of pieces before they go and get their QB. I think makes sense for all teams involved.I don't know that it says anything about the value of the QBs.