Eagles fire Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LetsGoRams

Pro Bowler
Name
Thrasher
Timing is interesting as there is one week left. Only thing I can think of is they got into it somehow and this gives Philly a little more time to be on the radar for potential new coaches.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He'll end up in Tennessee, as HC, with a personnel guy as GM.

There will be lots of vacancies, but this one makes too much sense for both parties.

I have a feeling he's gonna make Lurie and the Eagles eat it. Him in Tennessee makes too much sense, it gives him the right QB for his offense and a draft/offseason to assemble some other pieces and he's probably right back in the playoffs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
At least he will have a QB with the Titans. Probably the best thing that could have happened for Chips career.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A quarterback, and probably the first overall pick - which he can either use on the best non-QB or trade for a bunch of picks to build the team he wants.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/30/taking-a-look-at-chip-kellys-possible-options/

Taking a look at Chip Kelly’s possible options
Posted by Mike Florio on December 30, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwe0owyxmzfhytc0mmrlzje1odu2mgq1m2yyogqwzjvl-e1426860218750.jpeg
Getty Images

Chip Kelly has become available for a ride on the looming coaching carousel, five days before the annual game of musical chairs begins. Which puts him in play for both of the current vacancies and some of the other ones that will arise.

Indeed, one or more vacancies could arise simply because Kelly is now available.

So where could he land in 2016? Let’s take a look at the possibilities.

1. Tennessee.

From the moment Commissioner Roger Goodell declared that the Titans had selected Marcus Mari-o-to in late April, the possibility of Kelly reuniting with his Oregon star quarterback loomed. But as Frank Wycheck of the Titans Radio Network pointed out during Wednesday’s PFT Live on NBC Sports Radio, the Titans may not be interested in Kelly primarily because the Titans are committed to employing an offense that keeps Mariota healthy. Kelly’s system isn’t conducive to that.

Of course, Kelly could try to persuade the Titans that he’ll use the modified version that helped keep perpetually brittle Sam Bradford in one piece (mostly) this year. And then, if Kelly gets the job, he can do whatever he wants — as long as he wins.

2. Cleveland.

The Browns tried to hire Kelly three years ago, before they drafted the quarterback that Kelly once recruited to play at Oregon. With the Browns trying to figure out what to do with Johnny Manziel, keeping him and hiring Kelly becomes an option.

3. San Francisco.

The fact that the job isn’t available hasn’t kept Mike Holmgren from openly politicking for it. And the fact that Kelly is available should make the powers-that-be at least consider the possibility of hiring Kelly. He could resurrect the career of Colin Kaepernick. Kelly also could make the 49ers relevant after a season in purgatory, which has seen more and more empty seats at the team’s home stadium.

Of course, the 49ers would have to be willing to tolerate Kelly, who is prone to power struggles and generally pissing people off. But he can’t be any worse than Jim Harbaugh, and if it helps them win games again, who cares?

4. Miami.

The Dolphins recently fired offensive coordinator Bill Lazor, the former Eagles quarterback coach who tried to implement Kelly’s system. But having Kelly implement it himself could bring about different results — and quarterback Ryan Tannehill definitely has the athleticism to make it work.

5. Indianapolis.

The prospect of quarterback Andrew Luck, who has the same size and physical attributes as Cam Newton, running Kelly’s system is intriguing. But after Luck missed half the year with a lacerated kidney, the Colts won’t want to take risks with him.

Also, if G.M. Ryan Grigson remains, he knows enough of the folks in Philly to hear all of the horror stories about Kelly.

Ultimately, whoever hires Kelly will have to take a leap of faith regarding his position that he’s not interested in running the team’s personnel department. Then again, just two days ago Kelly said he wasn’t running the personnel department in Philadelphia.

So if he doesn’t want to run the personnel department with his next team the way he wasn’t running the personnel department in Philly, he wants to run the personnel department with his next team.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not liking the timing....I mean, if you give him control, it takes time...but I bet something DeMarco Murray said to Lurie on that plane effected his thinking on Chip...And that killer loss to Washington on primetime tv....
Chip the GM got Chip the coach fired....their team looks worse than before he came...top LT refused to re-enter a game....silly rules on practices...just saying..did any of you catch how Lurie hugged Shady when they played the Bills? Like he was sorry, and missed McCoy...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Well if you let him dismantle the team, why not let him time to get all of his guys he wants? I mean he had two winning seasons before. He did something right. I know they didn't make the playoffs this year but we on the Rams are going to keep a guy for a fifth year with no winning seasons. I mean if you're going to let a guy take apart the team, let him have another year. Now they're in complete rebuild with bringing in new coaches who will in turn bring in all new players. They're going to be in last place next season I bet.

Yeah but Fisher took over probably the worst team in the franchises history. Kelly took an already good team, and turned it to shit. Fisher at least has the team competitive despite the strange streak of garbageness.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Would love Kelly in SF.... he is not an NFL coach. He does not deal well with millionaire players and he runs a college offense that NFL defenses have caught up to. Plus, that offense kills his own defense.

He just has strange ideas. After some of his losses he would still almost brag about how they still ran 80 plays because he preaches plays are more important than time of possession.

His practice sessions are also all about tempo and beat reporters point out that when players make mistakes they don't get corrected at practice, they just keep going and they just review the tapes later. Maybe that is why they make so many physical and mental mistakes, sometimes it seems they rush everything often resulting in simple procedure penalties from guys not getting set, bad snaps, and they are tops in the league in turnovers over the past two seasons and I have to wonder if that high tempo offense also factors in that. Heck, he does not even allow his QB to audible because it slows them down. Just stupid in my view.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Note the author of this piece:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl-new...-adjustments-chip-kelly-eagles-demarco-murray

Stubborn NFL coaches must learn to adjust, or else

By Kurt Warner
Contributor
@kurt13warner
Published on Dec. 21, 2015 | Updated on Dec. 29, 2015
Coaches are fired and hired every year — it has become inevitable. And teams often bring in prominent coordinators or hot-name college coaches as replacements.

They look and sound good, but many of the promotions don't work out. Why can't these guys garner the same success as an NFL head coach?

MORE: College coaches who failed in the NFL | STEELE: Chip Kelly was wrong all along

These coaches know what they know, and they try to force it. They come with expertise in a particular system, and come hell or high water, they will run that system. They don't know anything else.

Some try to make a college system work in the NFL, ignoring the fact that success in college is based on athletic advantages, a luxury rarely afforded in the pros. They try to fit players with differing skill sets into a system designed for a specific type of player.

Big mistake.

I've seen this happen. I was on a team that fired its offensive coordinator early in the season, then demoted offensive linemen and the quarterback in an attempt to "spark” the team. Very seldom are moves like these the solutions to a struggling team’s problems, which go much deeper.

Some coaches don't know how to make changes because they haven't had to make them before. They find themselves in unfamiliar territory, so they look outside themselves for the problems.

A perfect example is the Eagles and running back DeMarco Murray this season. The NFL's best downhill running back is struggling in a system designed for quick-cut backs who are able to move laterally. Meanwhile, the Cowboys' running back unit doesn't possess skills like Murray's; skills that are perfect for Dallas' scheme and offensive line.

The Cowboys and the Eagles are struggling for the same reason: the inability or unwillingness to adjust their systems on the fly.

MORE: Grading Chip Kelly's offseason moves | Buyer's remorse on Murray?

Every NFL player and coach has an ego (a large one, for that matter), and it becomes difficult to accept defeat.

The key is being teachable. No matter how long you have played or what level of success you've had, you must constantly improve/adjust. If you allow your ego or arrogance to get in the way, you will not last long.

But success stories exist. I witnessed one of those, too.

Ken Whisenhunt was Pittsburgh's offensive coordinator before he was hired to be our coach in Arizona. The Steelers were a conventional run first, two back, one tight end-type of team. When he came to the Cardinals, that was what he wanted to do.

But he quickly realized we did not have the personnel or the skills to succeed in that type of offense, and he was open to making adjustments to fit our skill sets. We became an offense that thrived in three- and four-wide receiver sets, with the occasional mix of those conventional run-first sets.

The adjustment led to the first and only Super Bowl run in franchise history.

MORE: NFL coaches best suited to thrive in college role

The key to NFL success is not as simple as knowledge and skill. Coaches with the ability to adjust are more successful, and they tend to outlast their contemporaries.

Coaches better make sure their players fit. If you're running a system that requires a good pocket passer, don't draft a guy who has made his living as an athlete, not a dropback QB. If you have a running game built around a quick, lateral back instead of downhill, between-the-tackles-type runner, don't sign the bruiser.

Coaches also must learn to weather the storms of struggle. I have seen this game change too many good men because they weren’t able to handle losses. Their inability to adjust forces them to come up with other reasons for their lack of success. They convince themselves their way can be successful, because it always has been, and so they look in every other direction for the problem.

In many cases, they just have to look in the mirror.