Eagles fire Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Now the Bradford situation gets interesting, it's unlikely Philly will sign him back with Kelly out of there, and I doubt they keep Shurmur.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe the Michigan job when Harbaugh leaves them to coach his boy in Indianapolis

I don't see Harbaugh leaving so soon. He has a top recruiting class and already made noise in his first year. But what do I know. Maybe he is chomping at the bit to get back in the NFL.

Control freak. Not suited for the NFL.

He's a recruiter and college mind.

He jutted the Iggles roster. I'd never trust him with personnel just like I don't trust Fisher.

You don't trust Fisher's personnel evaluations? He does great on Defense. So maybe offense is off a bit but he did want Gurley and if GRob starts to dedicate himself they could have a good Oline in just a two year span. I always just figured his troubles were with QBs and WRs.

As it turned out, Kelly simply doesn’t know how to run an NFL personnel department. He has no experience dealing with scouting, or with the draft, or with the salary cap. He may know his own offensive system, but he lacks the skill set to scout other players and determine whether they’ll fit in his system.

That sums it up nicely.

Have to figure Kelly gave up on the team and was mailing it in. No good reason to let him go before the final game.
Wonder if the Giants announce Coughlin retirement next

I was thinking maybe there was a blow up in a meeting or something and that was why he was let go with a game left. One guy I know from Philly is saying that Bradford and Murray are released too. No idea.

I think he knew the firing was coming and asked for early release, probably has a college job lined up and it will be announced to get big press with college bowl games going on.

That could be too. There are still some very good jobs available still. One rumor I heard about a month ago was that he was already lined up for Maryland. Seemed like he'd be shooting low to me, but then again Oregon was a second tier program not too long ago.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
I give Philly credit for realizing their coach was headed in the wrong direction in only 3 years. hint, hint.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Wow, what odd timing lol.

Bradford homecoming incoming? Fisher has already shown a propensity to cut ties with someone and then welcome them back with Gregg Williams, JLD, and Case Keenum...

Why!He didnt succeed in what is supposed to be qb friendliest system in the nfl and cant stay healthy
on top of that.No thanks

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Titans just might be desperate enough to hire Kelly.

I feel bad for Sam Bradford. Guy just can't seem to find himself in a stable setting. At least he is familiar with Shumer.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Whether they want to sign Sam or he wants to stay there (I'd imagine they keep him because who else you gonna get? Sanchez to play QB?) they'd be wise to try and build a power running game behind Murray and Matthews. Bring in two guards in draft or FA, get Sam under center and chuck out that bullshit gimmick offense where a running play in the rain is designed to be pitched to the back and everyone watching knows it's coming because it's the only play out that they have that develops that way...

He messed them up by letting Jackson and Maclin go more than anything though. It's the WRs and the crap system that killed them.

Unfortunately, it looks like Fisher has pulled off his usual "win enough meaningless games after elimination to make the record just respectable and get one more year" trick again, but I'll be pissed if Philly bring in one of the Harbaugh brothers for example that we could have here maybe (Baltimore regressed - they may part company).

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Who else is ready for ineffective screens and passes with a maximum depth of 7 yards?

Im guessing 3% of passes travel beyond 5 yards on 1st and 2nd down...And on 3rd downs of 5+yards,...0%

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Wow, what odd timing lol.

Bradford homecoming incoming? Fisher has already shown a propensity to cut ties with someone and then welcome them back with Gregg Williams, JLD, and Case Keenum...

The timing caught me by surprise...Usually if a guy gets canned before the end of the season, it's not just before the last game...Seems a bit strange to me...Not surprised that it happened though ...I

Last edited:

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Please let the Sam Bradford experiment be over for the Rams. Move on.
I do agree - but he's been really good the second half of this year...

Most accurate QB in the league under pressure as well (with adjusted accuracy I.e. Discounting drops and throw always)...

I'm a Bradford mom at heart...but I'd be happier with going with Case Keenum if we can't get our guy in round one or two of the draft and then a stud wideout in FA (Come on guys - open the chequebook for Alshon) or in the draft also.

Our QB just needs to not suck and we win games. If he sucks (a la Foles) we lose games.

jjab360

Legend
Why!He didnt succeed in what is supposed to be qb friendliest system in the nfl and cant stay healthy
on top of that.No thanks
Sadly, it's entirely possible he's the best option out there right now. Plus he's already familiar with the system and left on amicable terms. It's a real possibility.

MountainRam

Rookie
Sadly, it's entirely possible he's the best option out there right now. Plus he's already familiar with the system and left on amicable terms. It's a real possibility.

Didn't fisher say Bradford would be released even if he agreed to a pay cut? How is this amicable? "Amicable" as it suits Rams needs now I guess.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hmm, I suspect either as @drasconis suggested and he found out that he was going to be let go and arranged to be let go early, or as @Elmgrovegnome suggested there was a blow up at a meeting. I'd bet on the latter - specifically, they told him that there were going to be changes in player personnel decision making, and he freaked and said he wouldn't still be coach without the GM powers, so they showed him the door.

It is amazing though. He took over a loaded, winning team, and managed to dismantle it in three seasons. I wonder how that rabid Eagles fan on YouTube is taking all this.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Didn't seem like amicable terms to me, but I certainly could be wrong...My absolutely, positively last comment about Bradford...I think he's back with the Rams 4 months AFTER HELL FREEZES OVER !!!!!!

jjab360

Legend
Didn't fisher say Bradford would be released even if he agreed to a pay cut? How is this amicable? "Amicable" as it suits Rams needs now I guess.
I don't remember that quote and it doesn't really make much sense tbh, link?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Why would you do this with one more game left? At least just let the guy finish out the year. I don't get why guys get fired late in a season. Won't change anything.

Because the Eagles need a QB. If it's gonna happen anyway it is a good call to fire him early and if the team tanks from it, well, it helps you get a higher pick for one of those QBs.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Why would you do this with one more game left? At least just let the guy finish out the year. I don't get why guys get fired late in a season. Won't change anything.

I think it's because they are officially out of the playoff hunt. The lost to Washington confirmed it.