Eagles fire Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
I don't remember that quote and it doesn't really make much sense tbh, link?

Google took me here. http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-nick-foles-rams-eagles-20150313-story.html

"..............
And Foles, no joke, walked in to what certainly had to be an awkward situation.

Foles sat between Fisher and general manager Les Snead. Fisher and Snead tried to explain why Sam Bradford had become expendable in the trade with Philadelphia for Foles. Fisher said Bradford would probably not have been back even if he'd agreed to a pay cut.

Snead referred to the Bradford situation as a "quarterback conundrum" and Fisher said he ................."

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Titans just might be desperate enough to hire Kelly.

I feel bad for Sam Bradford. Guy just can't seem to find himself in a stable setting. At least he is familiar with Shumer.

I don't feel bad at all for Bradford. He has made BANK in spite of being a very mediocre QB and is part of the reason his setting has not been stable. If he had played better on a more consistent basis Kelly would have made the playoffs in that sorry excuse for a division and would have a job.

IMO Bradford suffered from being under Schotty, who is just not gonna develop a top QB. Over the course of the second half of the season Sam started to be more consistent, and I think a lot of that was him getting better with a very good offensive coach developing him. So it's gonna be interesting to see what teams think of Sam in FA.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I remember that quote about Bradford not being back - I took it to mean that once the Rams got a trade offer they liked they would have traded him regardless, not that they hated Sam or wanted to stab him in the back or anything. Just they wanted another starting caliber QB (oops) and a pick or two instead, rather than the risk of Sam. If he's upset about that, so be it.

In Sam's favor (and I don't expect him back) by next season he'll have had two years recovering from surgery, so his knee should be full strength.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/12/29/marynowitz-out-donahoe-in-for-eagles/

Marynowitz out, Donahoe in for Eagles
Posted by Mike Florio on December 29, 2015

When Chip Kelly tried in intelligence-insulting fashion on Monday to claim he wasn’t running the football operation in Philadelphia, he clumsily tried to claim that V.P. of player personnel Ed Marynowitz was. And Kelly may have succeeded in putting Marynowitz in the crosshairs.

Marynowitz also has been released by the Eagles. It’s not a surprising move; he was Kelly’s hand-picked lieutenant after Kelly won a power struggle last year with G.M. Howie Roseman, who is now the executive V.P. of football operations.

Former Steelers and Bills executive Tom Donahoe, a Senior Football Advisor since 2012, will assume the role of Senior Director of Player Personnel. But since the Rooney Rule requires a full-blown search process that requires the interview of at least one minority candidate, it’s likely that more work will be done to hire someone who will take over as the new G.M. of the team, either in title or in function.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ray-told-owner-team-lost-confidence-in-kelly/

Report: Murray told owner team “lost confidence” in Kelly
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 29, 2015

The meeting between Eagles running backDeMarco Murray and team owner Jeffrey Lurie that Chip Kelly tried to downplay apparently included Murray telling Lurie that the team had lost confidence in Kelly as its coach.

That came from Ian Rapoport of NFL Network in the wake of Kelly’s firing Tuesday night.

After reports of the player-owner meeting on a team flight surfaced, Kelly said it was a chance meeting and not orchestrated. Murray reportedly told Lurie that promises made during the Eagles’ free agency courtship had been broken.

Either way, a tumltuous season resulted in Kelly being forced out before the season finale.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...about-absolute-power-in-wake-of-kelly-firing/

Ex-Eagles LB tweets about “absolute power” in wake of Kelly firing
Posted by Zac Jackson on December 29, 2015

Not long after the Eagles fired Chip Kelly Tuesday night, former Eagles linebacker Emmanuel Acho took to Twitter.

“Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely,” Acho wrote.

That’s what the cool kids call a subtweet.

The Eagles stripped Kelly of his absolute power Tuesday. The news came via a short press release, and the Eagles will hold a press conference Wednesday.

Acho was released last month. He had been waived-injured in the preseason, then released from IR with an injury settlement and re-signed in early November.

A sixth-round pick of the Browns in 2012, Acho caught on with the Eagles in 2013 and played in 14 games last season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ed-when-lurie-asked-him-to-give-up-personnel/

Report: Kelly balked when Lurie asked him to give up personnel
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2015

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie recognized that Chip Kelly wasn’t getting the job done as a personnel man, and tried to fix that problem. But Kelly resisted.

Sal Paolantonio of ESPN reports that Lurie has been considering changes to the structure of the Eagles franchise for weeks, and one of those changes Lurie considered was keeping Kelly but stripping him of personnel control. But when Lurie proposed that to Kelly during a recent meeting, Kelly balked at the idea.

When Kelly wouldn’t agree to give up personnel and focus only on coaching, that’s when Lurie decided it just wasn’t working with Kelly. According to Paolantonio, Lurie decided to fire Kelly now, rather than waiting until after Week 17, because he figured it would give the Eagles a jump on attracting some of the best candidates to replace him.

So because Kelly wanted to be both the coach and the head of personnel, he’s now neither.

Irish

Starter
College jobs are SO much better than pro jobs. I wonder when coaches will get wise to this.

Guys like Saban, Miles, Schiano, Kelly, and Harbaugh are GODS at successful college programs. Hell, Gary Pinkel never won anything close to what those guys did and he had a job for 15 years at Mizzou. The athletes worship you, the college towns practically make you mayor, and you are free to look like a genius with whatever gimmick you can come up with.

The NFL is a meat grinder that couldn't care less what you have accomplished in your past. If I was a coach, I would never leave a successful power conference job for the NFL. You are basically hired to be fired, just look at Harbaugh. Harbaugh restored a wayward franchise to respectability and took it to a super bowl, and they thanked him by showing him the door.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It would not surprise me if Kelly took another job at the NFL level. Some team will probably throw money at him so unless he runs right to a college program he's gonna have options.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
So a coach with 2 winning seasons gets canned in the 3rd year? Wow! New NFL.

Thing is he lost 12 of his last 19 games after starting 9-3 last year. Fact is defenses figured him out. Often times opposing players commented after games that the Eagles only run 6-8 Plays, you just have to be able to handle the tempo they play at. Once teams adjusted to the tempo the simplistic scheme could not sustain drives. The big negative from that was their defense avg 36 minutes a game on the field, resulting in defense that often collapsed late in games as well as late season collapses.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Look for Panthers DC, Sean McDermott, to get a serious look. Was DC Jim Johnson's assistant, then when probably still too young, was Reid's DC for a year. Has strong ties to Philly area, grew up here. In fact my son played football with his nephew.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
chip.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
The guy went and created so many holes on his team that were unnessary. I guess he learned the hard way its not so easy to swap players like game pieces.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
Well if you let him dismantle the team, why not let him time to get all of his guys he wants? I mean he had two winning seasons before. He did something right. I know they didn't make the playoffs this year but we on the Rams are going to keep a guy for a fifth year with no winning seasons. I mean if you're going to let a guy take apart the team, let him have another year. Now they're in complete rebuild with bringing in new coaches who will in turn bring in all new players. They're going to be in last place next season I bet.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...tay-in-the-nfl-doesnt-want-personnel-control/

Chip says he’ll stay in the NFL, doesn’t want personnel control
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 29, 2015

After failing in Philadelphia, Chip Kelly realizes he’s a coach, not a general manager. But he still thinks he can succeed in the NFL, and wants another shot at it.

Kelly told Jay Glazer of FOX Sports that he wants to remain in the NFL, and not return to college. Kelly was an excellent coach at Oregon and would have several job opportunities if he wanted to coach in college again, but he’s apparently no interested in that. Kelly’s insistence that he’s staying in the NFL will lead to more talk that he could move to Tennessee and coach the Titans.

Kelly also told Glazer he only wants to coach in his next stop and does not want to be the personnel man. That’s surprising, as Kelly insisted on personnel control in Philadelphia and reportedly balked when Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie suggested that he should give up that control.

Now the question is whether there’s some NFL owner and some NFL general manager who can work work with Kelly. It didn’t work in Philadelphia, but that doesn’t mean it can’t work anywhere.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/29/chip-kelly-fired-philadelphia-eagles-nfl-mailbag

Philly’s Missed Opportunity
The Eagles fired Chip Kelly, an abrupt conclusion to a three-year relationship that began with imagination and ended with blown personnel calls. Here’s what went down, and what might be next.
by Peter King

mmqb-kelly-chip-fired.jpg

Jim Rogash/Getty Images

The easy way to think—and the way I really want to think after the Eagles fired Chip Kelly Tuesday night—is this: No way you fire a potential great NFL head coach after three years.

And that's the way I still feel, as I file this column just after midnight Wednesday, with time to digest this stunning move. Kelly was potentially great, an innovator in a league of followers. Was he great now? Absolutely not.

He blew two huge personnel calls this year, overpaying DeMarco Murray and paying a pedestrian cornerback, Byron Maxwell, $10.5 million a year on the theory that “we needed a corner and he was the best guy and this is what the market rate was.”

No. Dumb. You don't pay BMW prices for a Camry. You wait until the market shakes out and you sign Brandon Flowers or Tramon Williams. But Kelly would have learned that, in time. Heck, he probably already knew it now.

Before we delve into the stunning firing of Kelly (and don't let the cognoscenti fool you; this was a stunning move to even those around the Eagles), let me tell you the three things about the story that I do know as Wednesday dawns:

mmqb-lurie-kelly.jpg

Photo: Matt Rourke/AP
After hiring Kelly in January 2013, Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie said, “He motivates his team with his actions as well as his words.”

1. Tennessee, with Marcus Mariota, was not in play for Kelly. I talked to someone with knowledge of the Titans’ thinking Tuesday night who said the team “absolutely” was not waiting for Kelly, and had not been actively discussing acquiring Kelly from the Eagles for a high draft choice. One reason: Marcus Mariota likes Kelly but is not dependent on him for NFL success. Now, that doesn't mean the Titans won't sniff around Kelly now that he is a free agent. But the Titans weren’t waiting for him to be free.

2. Owner Jeffrey Lurie wanted to reshape the front office, and Kelly didn't want to give up any personnel freedom. Lurie saw some of the wasted money and cap space and figured he had to do something about it. Kelly disagreed. That was the crux of the issue—Lurie wanted to change course with personnel, which makes sense, and Kelly did not.

3. Lurie wanted to do this now, so he could be in play for some of the top coordinators who will be coaching candidates. Interesting what the source with Tennessee knowledge said to me: “If Lurie fires Chip now, obviously it means he wasn't going to be able to get something going with the Titans.” Right. And that's a big deal.

Everyone will ask today, “Why didn't the Eagles try to get something from Tennessee if they knew they were dumping Kelly?” And they could have gotten something minor for Kelly—but would it have been worth the sideshow? No. With the Titans not in play for Kelly, Lurie simply had to do what he felt was best for his team, which started with firing Kelly and starting over with a full cadre of candidates for the job from around the NFL.

In the few hours since the firing, we've heard all about Kelly's issues. The building didn't like him. The players tolerated him but didn't love him. His personnel moves mostly stunk. (I do not buy that he had problems with minority players. Maybe some he didn't keep didn't like him, but there is no evidence to suggest he was a racist or treated minority players different from white players.)

mmqb-mccoy-kelly.jpg

Photo: Matt Rourke/AP
After leaving the team, several ex-Eagles—like LeSean McCoy—decried Kelly and how he treated players.

So now I think back. To Chuck Noll, 12-30 in his first three seasons, who was despised by franchise quarterback Terry Bradshaw early—and disliked for most of their time together. To Bill Belichick, who ran off Bernie Kosar and was 20-28 in his first three years in Cleveland and who was affected by more than just the quarterback. And now Kelly, 26-21 in his first three seasons, fired with one game left.

Not comparing Kelly to what two four-time Super Bowl champs accomplished in football, but simply making this point: How do you know the future? How do you know which coaches will survive the early potholes to make greatness happen? You don't. Just as I don't know if Kelly would have ever been great in Philly, or will be great in his second go-round wherever.

Finally, I leave you with this: Jeffrey Lurie has been the poster boy for patience in the NFL. He kept an ill-equipped Ray Rhodes after a four-win season, and he kept Andy Reid for 14 years, and Reid never won a Super Bowl. Lurie is a patient man. But he wasn't patient with Kelly. Lurie knew something.

Something happened that was untenable, and Lurie acted. I don't like it, but I’m not in his shoes. We'll see how it works. For those saying the Eagles will be fine with the best coordinator or best young coaching phenom ... cool. But remember: Chip Kelly was as imaginative a coach as has come into the NFL in years.

We're seeing a different game now, with lots of deep passing and an emphasis on the strong-armed quarterbacks. Kelly recognized that. He was on the verge of making Sam Bradford realize his potential.

But something happened. A few things, maybe. And as with Jim Harbaugh in San Francisco last year, and Belichick with the Jets in 2000, a coach leaves early, with potential gains lost. I count this as one of the truly great missed opportunities in my 32 seasons covering the NFL. This should have worked. And because it didn't, a storied franchise starts from scratch, and a great college coach might go the Steve Spurrier route. Sad.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He'll end up in Tennessee, as HC, with a personnel guy as GM.

There will be lots of vacancies, but this one makes too much sense for both parties.