Eagles confirm torn ACL for Carson Wentz

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Wentz blew away Goff? No he didn't.
Wentz only completed 56% of his passes.We put zero pressure on Wentz.
He had receivers open all over the field.
Under these ideal circumstances he completes 56%?
Not to mention the really bad PI calls and the Unsportsmanlike call that was insane.
How many of those drives succeed without help from the refs?
Not saying Wentz didn't play well,he did.but to say he blew Goff away is BS.
If Goff would have been playing for the Eagles, the game would have been over by halftime.
And no Goff "doesn't have those legs",but Wentz doesn't have Goffs accuracy and never will.

Warner liked Wentz, there was nothing wrong in his report, he had high praise for both quarterbacks. He just pointed out a trend, one that was pointed out earlier as well (it was very obvious in the Seattle game, so it got brought up more)... As far as I know that Kurt Warner hasn't made any observations on the game yesterday or either QB's play. He made his observation before the game when asked to break down the opposing QB's.

There's nothing to suggest Wentz can't be coached up, in fact that's exactly what I was saying. I'm really not sure why you're getting so defensive about it, I expect Wentz to become a better QB because I think he's going to learn how to play more from the pocket in order to protect himself more. Dude gets hit a lot.

Also don't know what you're trying to suggest about velocity given that it's been measured that Goff can get more velocity on his throws than Wentz. Not by much of course (I believe it was 1-2 MPH), but he could. And of course Goff has the longest air yard completion in the NFL this year, so he's got plenty of velocity. Goff can make every throw he needs, just like Wentz. As Goff develops he'll get faster and improve on his ability to improvise, as Wentz develops he'll get faster and improve on his ability to play from within the pocket and protect himself. Both of them have a lot of development to do, they always did. The pre-draft debate was "Wentz is more pro-ready and Goff has a higher ceiling".. If Goff can reach that ceiling he'll be the better QB, if he can't Wentz will, simple as that. McVay's job is to help get Goff to that ceiling, so far he's done a lot as the gap that seemed as wide as the Grand Canyon suddenly looks like it's a crack in the sidewalk.

Not again....not you two...LOLOL

I'm talking just yesterday....and on some Kurt statements...56% and 4 tds.....If he'd completed 70%, he may have thrown 9 td's......

Wentz coached up???? Looks coached up to me....there is something to suggest the other guy can't be coached up...

Longest air yard completion? Hold on to that for what it's worth....I'm not talking distance....I'm talking velocity..as it relates to throws into tight windows...like a regularly contested game like yesterday will have...tight windows...tight coverage....and one guy made a few more than another guy....and, I'm not saying Goff played poorly....just not as well, especially at the end of the game.

That was the pre- draft debate? I remember the pro ready claim....it proved false....one was more pro-ready than the other...So, from pro ready, lets go ceiling and floors....Goff's ceiling is higher....that's what you're claiming, correct? When he catches up to Wentz's floor, I'll let you know. That may only look like a crack to you....but I don't see anyone but you talking about how well Goff played yesterday....or how poor Wentz accuracy was yesterday....you & 0...err, zero...

If this game is replayed later in Philly...I'll be happy....It means we made it to the NFC championship game....quite an accomplishment. If Goff plays better that's a plus...if he plays worse:sadwalk:.....:oops::confused:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We now return you to your normally scheduled programming...
"Tavon Austin needs to go!!"
Haha

I'm convinced Tavon's got pics of McVay on the road doin something regrettable.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m seeing a lot of “that’s what happens it’s running QBs” I can see if he was running around just to pull the ball down and go. What I saw was a Qb that was staying in the pocket until the last second to deliver a pass and when he was running he was escaping pressures and dropping dimes. He got hurt in a hustle play not trying to run people over or scrambling without trying to pass. He was running for the end zone that injury was just freaky it didn’t even seem like he got hit on the knee. That can happen to any qb in the league not just a “running” qb

Zero

Pro Bowler
Not again....not you two...LOLOL

I'm talking just yesterday....and on some Kurt statements...56% and 4 tds.....If he'd completed 70%, he may have thrown 9 td's......

Wentz coached up???? Looks coached up to me....there is something to suggest the other guy can't be coached up...

Longest air yard completion? Hold on to that for what it's worth....I'm not talking distance....I'm talking velocity..as it relates to throws into tight windows...like a regularly contested game like yesterday will have...tight windows...tight coverage....and one guy made a few more than another guy....and, I'm not saying Goff played poorly....just not as well, especially at the end of the game.

That was the pre- draft debate? I remember the pro ready claim....it proved false....one was more pro-ready than the other...So, from pro ready, lets go ceiling and floors....Goff's ceiling is higher....that's what you're claiming, correct? When he catches up to Wentz's floor, I'll let you know. That may only look like a crack to you....but I don't see anyone but you talking about how well Goff played yesterday....or how poor Wentz accuracy was yesterday....you & 0...err, zero...

If this game is replayed later in Philly...I'll be happy....It means we made it to the NFC championship game....quite an accomplishment. If Goff plays better that's a plus...if he plays worse:sadwalk:.....:oops::confused:

Champ,I am going take your post about as serious as everybody else does around here.Not very.
and that's where the Zero truly falls.
By the way your post reads like an Adam Schein video.Not a good look for you champ.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There in lies the problem. Make him a pocket passer and he's not as good. His game is buying time.

On the idea that wasn't an ACL because he played another play and walked off the field, I bet he's not walking so well today.

Completely disagree he killed us inside the pocket because we couldn’t sack him, he made big time throws in the pocket. His injury was one that could have happen to ANY qb

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Wentz is a great young QB. Sucks that two very talented young QB's who were playing great this year had to have their seasons end early due to ACL issues. Hope they both come back strong. All the great QB's are getting old and soon to retire. These young guys are the future and there are not many of them.

bluecoconuts

Legend

Don't be a pussy, just say Goff and Wentz, not "The other guy". You meant Goff, say Goff. What suggest Goff can't be coached up? Is it his record breaking jump between year one and year two for development? Or perhaps the fact that he's only being slightly tossed into the MVP conversation in year two? And yes, Wentz can use some coaching up because he's only in year two and still has a lot to learn. You know who doesn't need to be coached up? Tom Brady. And he's probably the only person on that list. Wentz needs coaching just like Matt Ryan, Russel Wilson, Jared Goff and about 80 other QB's in the NFL not named Tom Brady. Don't be silly dude.

I already said, they've measured throwing velocity, and Goff was slightly better. But it was slightly... And that was going off of how they threw in game as well, when the throws matter. Goff can hit those tight windows, I've seen him do it. Wentz has Jeffery who is one of the best receivers at making those contested catches, Wentz making those completions are more about the receiver than the QB to be honest. A QB can only put the ball where he's going to put it, the receiver has to fight and come down with it, and Jeffery is very good at that. That being said, velocity isn't everything, Sam Bradford could rifle the ball in faster than Brett Farve and Aaron Rodgers, but he had no touch and the receivers could almost never hang on. Goff has the ability to use touch, which is very important. I believe that's the main issue that Wentz has with these throws, is he doesn't always use the right amount of touch. Goff has the arm talent to make every throw, so does Wentz. Goff is a slightly more polished passer, which is why he has a better feel for touch and better footmovement, that's why he was projected so high, because those were already at an NFL level, the biggest worry was his ability to take a snap from under center (he can), handle the huddle (he can) and read defenses (he can)... His job now is to speed up the mental processing.

Goff has played better games this year than Wentz has, to suggest that he's not even at Wentz floor is frankly absurd. Hate to break it to you buddy, but the fact that people are still debating "Wentz or Goff" means that it's a very close gap. Nothing was proven false, when they were coming out the debate was "Do you take Goff, who has a higher ceiling, but will need more development or do you take Wentz who doesn't have as high of a ceiling, but will need less development".. That doesn't mean that Wentz does have a high ceiling, I think he does. Goff also has a high ceiling, one that is slightly higher given some of traits that he has. Goff played fine yesterday, was it his best game? No. Was it a bad game from him? Not at all. Those are the ups and downs of a career and a season. Wentz played a pretty shitty game against Seattle, it happens to everyone. To suggest that the loss is the fault of Goff, is just silly. The Rams put up 35 points against a very good defense, Goff in not responsible for the loss.

I doubt Philly gets that far without Wentz. If they do, and the Rams lose, it'll be because the defense let Nick fucking Foles beat them.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What suggest Goff can't be coached up? Is it his record breaking jump between year one and year two for development? Or perhaps the fact that he's only being slightly tossed into the MVP conversation in year two? And yes, Wentz can use some coaching up because he's only in year two and still has a lot to learn.
Everyone can be coached up....what exactly....besides speeding up what he sees on the field, mental processes, are you trying to improve?

I would doubt in an NFL MVP caliber season, he has much to improve on...accuracy...maybe...I believe his inaccuracies are over-hyped...maybe his decision making on when to run...slide...go out of bounds.

But some of the stuff I see....meh...it's with them.
I already said, they've measured throwing velocity, and Goff was slightly better. But it was slightly... And that was going off of how they threw in game as well, when the throws matter. Goff can hit those tight windows, I've seen him do it. Wentz has Jeffery who is one of the best receivers at making those contested catches, Wentz making those completions are more about the receiver than the QB to be honest. A QB can only put the ball where he's going to put it, the receiver has to fight and come down with it, and Jeffery is very good at that. That being said, velocity isn't everything,
Tight windows...tight window throws...now, we're getting somewhere. I don't believe the accuracy of the measured speeds...since it appears to the average fan, that one throws significantly harder than the other....and farther...but tight windows...well, that's what I'm talking about....seems like one completes more passes in tighter windows....could be receivers....could be anything....could be accuracy. I know Wentz completes more....the few I saw yesterday from Goff were awesome...to Kupp...down by 14.....kinda made me proud. Then that 4th quarter...reminded me of Cal...fumble..then a 3 and out....a 3 & out....and we punt?!? talk about throws in tight windows...it's the throws you don't make....don't even try....that the coach won't even let you try...that are more telling.
His job now is to speed up the mental processing.
Agreed.....

Real question is.....can you do that? Can that skill be "coached up" in game time????
Goff has played better games this year than Wentz has, to suggest that he's not even at Wentz floor is frankly absurd. Hate to break it to you buddy, but the fact that people are still debating "Wentz or Goff" means that it's a very close gap.
He hasn't played better, or HE'D be in the MVP conversation as well...Brady, Wilson....and the guy that shall be nameless, yet we know his name. LOLOL! Those are the MVP candidates for the 2017 season....Need to throw Antonio Brown in there as well....and maybe Todd Gurley.
To suggest that the loss is the fault of Goff, is just silly. The Rams put up 35 points against a very good defense, Goff in not responsible for the loss.
Naw....not his fault...We put up 28 on offense....remember we also had a int to go with that blocked punt. Not his fault.
But lets go back to the game...4th quarter....strip fumble....who's fault? All on Williams? Check the video...how much time did he have? 2 seconds? 3 seconds?...more? IDK....

After we hold them to a fg....ball back....offense does what? If not his, then whos? Whose fault is it? Not blaming....team game...

Remember....a lot don't believe in the trailer/tractor theory...not mine, but I understand it...who pulls? who is getting pulled?? Who is gonna pick the team up...the defense up after a horrible game (D lost this game)....WHO??? Fumble followed by a 3 & out....and we never got the ball again...I believe...could be wrong...

QB's get the wins and losses cause they effect the game the MOST.....Only a couple people could have won the game in the 4th quarter....blocked fg....blocked fg return for a td...strip fumble & return for td....or a 7-9 play drive...for a fg....or td....one drive coulda had a bunch of happy ROD members....one drive. And yall blaming Williams...McVay for the play calls...one guy had the game in his hands...and, although I didn't suggest it, you say it would be silly if I did....hmmmmm

I know one player we all should have hoped he had the ball with 3 mins left....down by one or up by 2....one player...at home....ready to hush up all the doubters....instead

9-4.....real possibility to MISS the playoffs...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Champ,I am going take your post about as serious as everybody else does around here.Not very.
and that's where the Zero truly falls.
By the way your post reads like an Adam Schein video.Not a good look for you champ.
For your eyes only Zero....my posts are my opinions....just what I see....

Yesterday, you saw what I've seen and been saying for weeks.....

If we are gonna advance far in the playoffs....we either need a dominant defensive performance....or some outstanding QB play.

It all starts again in 6 days in Seattle....sorry that YOU...and everybody else disagrees....but, when we get there, I'll be very seriously looking at my fellow rams fans commenters, to see if they very seriously see what's the problem and how to go about fixin it....

very seriously....

I like Adam.....but he's wrong on Blake Bortles.....very seriously wrong.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
hmmmm, I've notice high throws...bunch of guys with strong arms throw a lil high....
But
7-0 game....his 2nd drive....seemed like he went through our defense like hot knife thru butter. Didn't know what would stop him...and some very accurate 3rd down throws in there...with some scrambling. This was up until the last 2 drives b4 the half.

I expected more from Quinn and Samson Ebuk.....whatevers....more. Thought I'd get more from Donald and Westbrooks too....Donald was ok.

I thought Brocker was the best DL of the game.

Defense didn't play its best....but I figured Carson W. had a lot to do with that. I mean, that one speed dude had 6 for 100 yards...dude from SF....and went to Balt...Unknown TE is KILLING US! And Blount & Ajayi had their way....Just a poor performance for a playoff caliber team at home.

I didn't attribute the high throws to arm strength...just not accurate

JMO

bluecoconuts

Legend
Everyone can be coached up....what exactly....besides speeding up what he sees on the field, mental processes, are you trying to improve?

I would doubt in an NFL MVP caliber season, he has much to improve on...accuracy...maybe...I believe his inaccuracies are over-hyped...maybe his decision making on when to run...slide...go out of bounds.

But some of the stuff I see....meh...it's with them.

Accuracy is always important, it's what's going to turn those toss ups into INT when he's throwing to different receivers. He also needs to learn how to protect himself, but the accuracy is always important. I guarantee he's not satisfied with 60%, he was more accurate last year (he was also dinking and dunking a lot last year which helps).. It's a weakness in his game, he doesn't have very many but it's a weakness. To suggest that he shouldn't really bother is silly. Wentz is a second year QB, not some vet with 10 seasons under his belt, there is a LOT for him to work on. I can hit him on things like his foot movement if you'd like, but I'm not. There's a LOT of room for both QB's to grow if they want to be consistent and not a flash in the pan.

Tight windows...tight window throws...now, we're getting somewhere. I don't believe the accuracy of the measured speeds...since it appears to the average fan, that one throws significantly harder than the other....and farther...but tight windows...well, that's what I'm talking about....seems like one completes more passes in tighter windows....could be receivers....could be anything....could be accuracy. I know Wentz completes more....the few I saw yesterday from Goff were awesome...to Kupp...down by 14.....kinda made me proud. Then that 4th quarter...reminded me of Cal...fumble..then a 3 and out....a 3 & out....and we punt?!? talk about throws in tight windows...it's the throws you don't make....don't even try....that the coach won't even let you try...that are more telling.

I don't give a fuck what the average fan thinks, if the average fan is anything like the average American (or person for our international friends) then they're dumb as shit. They measured using science, the numbers say what they say. Goff was always highly regarded for his ability to fit the ball into a tight window, that was a plus of his in college, it's something he's shown he can do in the NFL, where are you getting this idea that Goff can't make any particular throw? He can literally make every throw he needs.

Here's a good example.

Passer rating for QB's completing passes behind the LOS: League Average is 88... Wentz is 90.1, Goff is 114.

Passer rating for QB's completing passes within 10 yards: League Average is 87... Wentz is 93.5, Goff is 99.3

Passer rating for QB's completing passes between 10-20 yards: League Average is 85, Wentz is 119.4 (his money distance), Goff is 82.1 (this is also his favorite place to throw the ball away, so in the middle his rating is 104, it's the sides that get hurt because he throws the ball away, but that's not a major sticking point, because Wentz is still better at these distances). This is also where Goff needs to work the most, hitting the sidelines in the 10-20 yard range, important for comeback games.

Passer rating for QB's completing passes beyond 20 yards: League Average is 80.6, Wentz is 81 and Goff is 90.9.

Goff can make any throw he needs, the biggest thing he should work on is sideline throws between 10-20 yards. Development. Wentz can make any throw he needs as well, the biggest thing he should work on are deep passes and working the right side of the field (he's much better throwing to his left vs Goff who seems to be fine throwing to the right or left).

I don't know why you keep bringing up Cal, Goff is playing better than he did at Cal, and that's backed up by stats as well. Goff has constantly gotten better each year since he was in high school. And That is why it's said his ceiling is higher. The problem wasn't that McVay didn't trust Goff to make those throws it's that he trusted him too much. He was passing when he should have been running. McVay doesn't constantly put the ball in Jared's hand if he doesn't trust him. You'd be better off trying to claim that McVay doesn't trust Gurley than Goff.

But lets go back to the game...4th quarter....strip fumble....who's fault? All on Williams? Check the video...how much time did he have? 2 seconds? 3 seconds?...more? IDK....

That was a failure on several different parts, including Goff. As he develops he'll get better at it, he started his throwing motion literally a second too late. That's going to happen sometimes in games, sometimes the defense makes a play, and the defense made a play. I don't like that it was a passing play, I knew as soon as Long got behind Goff it was going to end badly I was just hoping we would jump on the ball, but we didn't. Sucks. I believe nobody was open, but as Goff was going to throw Watkins was getting there, it was just too late.

After we hold them to a fg....ball back....offense does what? If not his, then whos? Whose fault is it? Not blaming....team game...

The O-Line. They got zero push on the Gurley run which resulted in lost yardage, and then zero push second down which Goff had to bail out and turn a sack into a 3 yard gain to get back to the original LOS. I wasn't a big fan of the 3rd down call personally. But you're right, it's a team game still.

I know one player we all should have hoped he had the ball with 3 mins left....down by one or up by 2....one player...at home....ready to hush up all the doubters....instead

That player was sitting in the medical room and wont see the field until next year. Can't help your team if you're on the sideline. Next.

Also:
rdvxPku.jpg

Accuracy.

Last edited:

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Well it sucks Wentz is hurt. ... but now we Rams fans will all have to route for the same qb. Jared Goff the starring QB of the Los Angeles Rams..... at least until next season...possibly 6 games in.....

Go Rams....... ;)

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I’m not weeping over this, so much for the “he’s so big and strong” argument

I guess if your name is Carson you may wanna armor up next time you face the Rams

It’s football, not a single coworker today even brought up Webster’s Achilles so...

Sorry Champ, looks like you’ll need to find yourself another blowup doll ;)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
As I, ahem, predicted earlier in this thread...here comes Mike Foolio to trot out Colin Kaepernick. His creepy man-love for CK is only equaled by Peter King's obsession with all things Patriots.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/11/eagles-show-no-interest-in-colin-kaepernick-yet/

Eagles show no interest in Colin Kaepernick, yet
Posted by Mike Florio on December 11, 2017

627379170-e1502283471300.jpg

Getty Images

Eagles fans having dreams of the franchise’s first ever Super Bowl win are now living the nightmare of losing franchise quarterback and MVP candidate Carson Wentz. And they’ll have to hope that Nick Foles(who once was dubbed the team’s quarterback for the next 1,000 years by coach Chip Kelly) can carry them to postseason success.

If he can’t get it done, what will the Eagles do? The only other option on the roster is Nate Sudfeld, and the best free-agent option continues to be Colin Kaepernick.

Per a league source, the Eagles have shown no interest in Kaepernick, and they’re not currently expected to do so.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about him, it’s impossible to argue that he wouldn’t be a viable veteran presence behind Foles. Even if Foles is in better position to run the offense, Kaepernick provides better insurance than Sudfeld, in the event Foles gets hurt or stinks it up.
The comments are a hoot.
----------------------------------
Give it up
-----------
Do you honestly think the Eagles would seriously consider adding him to their roster? This is the fan base that’s once booed Santa Claus… how do you think they’d react to putting Kaepernick on their team?
----------
And so continues the crusade.
----------
Pathetic.
----------
I’d place a call to Tony Romo’s agent before I’d consider Kaepernick.
----------
Best free agent option huh. Just because you say something over and over and over again still doesn’t make it true.
----------
Why can’t we move on?
----------
Give it up already dude.

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Goff was fine, he played well, we just didn't have enough touches on offense for them to get into a great rhythm. If a few of those drive extending bullcrap penalties don't get thrown (as they shouldn't have) I think the stat lines are very different for both QB's, the Rams have a W and Wentz is playing next week.
Goff played well, for sure. But, not at superstar status. He can become a Brees or Ryan or even Brady---I believe this...Brady wasn't as good as Goff in his 2nd year, either was Brees.....so, I love Goff's play in general. Wentz won that game; took the whole team on his shoulders....yes, Wentz is still inaccurate, and won't be the pockert superstar that Goff will be...PLUS Goff will be playing in the playoffs, while Wentz is on the sofa!

SteveBrown

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Wentz blew away Goff? No he didn't.

Not saying Wentz didn't play well,he did.but to say he blew Goff away is BS.
If Goff would have been playing for the Eagles, the game would have been over by halftime.
And no Goff "doesn't have those legs",but Wentz doesn't have Goffs accuracy and never will.
Goff will alwaysbet the better pocket QB---for sure.And, he is probably smarter than Wentz, too. And Wentz tore his ACL for a reason,while Goff is still playing. But, without Wentz we win that game; I stand by the comments that for that game Wentz was A+ (even with his paltry 56% and int) while Goff was a B+...and in the NFL, at the QB position, that is a huuuge difference. We will beat Philly in the playoffs if get the chance. Wentz is sitting on the sofa for his stupidity.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

With wentz the rams win the game. We saw what happened without him. They just didn't have the same fire. Thought it was gonna be an automatic win when he stayed of the field. Paid the price.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Wentz was A+ (even with his paltry 56% and int) while Goff was a B+
That sounds much better Steve.I guess your original comment struck me as though,
Goff's performance didn't compare to Wentz and I just don't believe that to be the case.
Watching Wentz Sunday,confirmed my belief that Goff will be the better QB,
In my opinion Wentz missed too many throws to wide open receivers.We saw the same thing against Seattle.
Russell Wilson makes those throws,so does Aaron Rodgers
Goff didn't have the time or selection of open targets that Wentz did.
If he had,Goff makes those throws on a far more consistent basis.
If I came off a bit strong,my Apologies.You have your opinions and I certainly respect them.Cheers.