Drew Brees.....Would ya??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My issue is that there's a legitimate question of how many years of quality play Brees has left. It may only be two.
Yep.
th

Could be peaches or could be beans.
Carson Palmer wasn't beans. For this franchise i think you've got to take a shot if that scenario presented itself.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yep.
th

Could be peaches or could be beans.
Carson Palmer wasn't beans. For this franchise i think you've got to take a shot if that scenario presented itself.

I agree. But I think we need to be careful both with any extension and with the compensation we give up. I'm good with trading a 2nd for Brees. More than that and it gets tough for me. He's an expensive QB in the final year of his deal that may only have a couple years of quality play left in him.(maybe less) I think a 2nd is the maximum I'd offer.

drasconis

Starter
Name
JA
If Brees came here and won 10+ games and a playoff spot in 2016 that extension would take care of itself in-house.

The extension needs to be done for three reasons 1) as others have said the cap hit is too large - his cap # is 30 mil add in foles and the Rams would be spending around $40mil on QB just shy of double any other team. We can't do that and afford to keep our FA or get anyone else on the market (not talking expensive guys I am talking like Hayes and Fairley or their replacements). 2)It is nice to say that if this or that it works it self out, but the fact is we don't need an ugly hold out or wonder what the hit is if we need to franchise him 3)You aren't going to make that trade for 1 year of "we made the playoffs" you are going all in on a SB in the next few years (ala Denver), as Manning showed even with a great QB it can take 1 year to reach maximum potential (they made playoffs yr 1 and SB yr 2) everyone will want the security that there is a plan for more than 1 year rather than a 1yr plan and then just optimism.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Kind of reminds me of a situation in Kansas City back in 1993:

"Tonight, the 49ers traded the 36-year-old quarterback (Joe Montana) -- along with safety David Whitmore and a 1994 third-round draft pick -- to Kansas City for the Chiefs' first-round selection (the 18th over all) in the National Football League draft on Sunday"

A lot of similarities to current Rams situation, pretty much the same draft position, championship caliber defense, some good pieces to work with on offense. Worked out pretty well for the Chiefs as they went to the AFC championship that season.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'd take an NFC Championship run over what's happened this past decade...