Drew Brees.....Would ya??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Big Willie

Starter
As soon as we'd sign him, probably tear his rotator cuff or something....reminds me of Joe Namath...Bert Jones....
Going all old skool on us....love it! I loved me some Bert Jones back in the day. Most exciting game I can remember from my childhood was a game between the Colts and the Raiders (playoff game it think). Awesome!!

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

no way brees will play for a hc like fisher. he likes throwing the ball. he likes stepping on the oppositions throats. he doesn't like sitting on a lead and handing off the whole 2nd half.

while i would love to have him i don't see him contemplating coming to the rams at all.

Big Willie

Starter
I like Brees and would want him under the following conditions:
  • We would have to figure out a way where his cap number is not 20 million or more
  • The Rams would have to incorporate the offensive changes needed to maximize his strengths
  • I would only offer a number 2nd round pick in 2016 and 3rd or later in 2017 in a trade for him

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
No, thanks...Not at this point in his career...Too late for him AND the Rams IMO...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
This is going to be the offseason of a lot of QB moves.

Brees, Manning, Bradford, Kaepernick, RGme.

Cousins, Osweiler, and Fitzpatrick are free agents (not likely to move).

Could be an interesting offseason at the position.

Oh... And... I don't see Brees coming here. Although, a good running game with a few less passes might actually extend his career.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

no way brees will play for a hc like fisher. he likes throwing the ball. he likes stepping on the oppositions throats. he doesn't like sitting on a lead and handing off the whole 2nd half.

while i would love to have him i don't see him contemplating coming to the rams at all.

This. 100x this.
He's 11,000 yards behind Peyton Manning for most career yards. And 110 back in passing tds

They can say individual records don't mean anything but he'll want to be in a spot that will give him a shot at 4000 yards + and 30 Td.

Which is basically the opposite of a Jeff Fisher offense

BlackSheep

UDFA
H-E-double hockey sticks yes! Brees alone would make us an instant playoff contender. A little more help on the OL and an upgrade at TE and we are poised for a deep playoff run and possible SB appearance. Imagine what he would do for our receiving corps which I think is actually a pretty solid unit. Here are some of Brees' receivers during their playoff/SB teams...

Colston
Lance Moore
Devery Henderson
Robert Meachem
Reggie Bush out of the backfield
Darren Sproles out of the backfield
Of course Jimmy Graham

I think you could make the argument our current receivers fit the mold with the exception of the obvious deficiency at TE

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
giphy.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like Brees and would want him under the following conditions:
  • We would have to figure out a way where his cap number is not 20 million or more
  • The Rams would have to incorporate the offensive changes needed to maximize his strengths
  • I would only offer a number 2nd round pick in 2016 and 3rd or later in 2017 in a trade for him

That's more than I would offer.

This. 100x this.
He's 11,000 yards behind Peyton Manning for most career yards. And 110 back in passing tds

They can say individual records don't mean anything but he'll want to be in a spot that will give him a shot at 4000 yards + and 30 Td.

Which is basically the opposite of a Jeff Fisher offense

I can see this. Although, he might be willing for a shot at a ring. I think another Super Bowl ring or two does more for his legacy than more stats.(as stupid as that is)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's available for relatively cheap - and a second and a future third would be more than cheap for him - and he will adjust his cap hit for an extension - sure. I suspect he would want some guarantee on who he was throwing to, though. And with Quick not recovering, and Bailey's career in doubt the Rams' WRs are in even more disarray than usual. But yeah - he's old, but he should still be good for the lifespan of the Rams' defense at their peak, and Gurley at his peak, and Austin at his peak. Trading for him makes far more sense than trading the farm for Goff this year.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
This is going to be the offseason of a lot of QB moves.

Brees, Manning, Bradford, Kaepernick, RGme.

Cousins, Osweiler, and Fitzpatrick are free agents (not likely to move).

Could be an interesting offseason at the position.

Oh... And... I don't see Brees coming here. Although, a good running game with a few less passes might actually extend his career.

I agree and this franchise is poised to win with a veteran QB. Brees has all the personal accolades he'll ever want. He doesn't have a ring and he's NEVER had a defense. Coming to St. Louis, he'd have a young and up and coming OL (sure seems that way the last 3 weeks, don't it?), a STAR RB, and a top 5 D, especially when it's not decimated with injuries.

And Fisher's a player's coach, so he's the kind of HC who will care about prolonging a player's career and taking care of him. Player's really gravitate to coaches like that.

Frankly, the ONLY issue that I have with Brees coming here is that with the play of Trujo elevating these past few weeks, I dunno if we'll be able to afford both of them. Heck, if we don't want to tag either of them, we might not be able to afford either of them which would have been a crazy thought 5 weeks ago. No way Trujo is a 4-5M/yr player after vying for the league lead in INTs and playing as well in all facets as he has this year. He's going to command top dollar. Maybe even rival JJ.

That's my ONLY issue. It means likely losing guys like Fairley who actually put in a lot of work on our OL as well as either losing or significantly restructuring CL.

I think Brees shaking loose is a very long shot, but I can see them going into rebuild mode and eating that $10M versus having him count $30M on the cap, especially if Payton is out. They very well might try to trade with Miami, but they have a young QB who's improving and I dunno that it's worth it to go with Brees for a few years and then trust the folks there to try and find another QB. After Marino, look how long it took just to find someone as good as Tannehill and Ryan Tannehill isn't exactly the definition of a franchise QB.

As for drafting a QB, IF and ONLY IF we somehow get Brees, I wouldn't draft a QB. Nope. I'd stick with Brees, Keenum and Mannion because we KNOW that Keenum is capable and can win games in the pinch if Brees went down and I'd continue to develop Mannion. Especially because of the money juggling required if we got Brees, we'd need those picks on D, especially the DL, anyway...

Man, alive, it's going to be an interesting and potentially exciting off-season!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I really wonder if the Rams will venture the opportunity to speak with Bradford this offseason. Chip just got fired and that gives Bradford all the more reason to seek other options.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Couldnt load the link but if youre asking would i take Drew Brees as the starting quarterback for the St. Louis Rams...the answer is very simple...yes
..........................................................................................................
200.gif

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
God as much as I love him, not unless we get an agreed extension in place before the trade. 30 mil one year rental plus whatever we have to give up to get him....if you get him for 3-4 years I am all in!
If Brees came here and won 10+ games and a playoff spot in 2016 that extension would take care of itself in-house.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Brees came here and won 10+ games and a playoff spot in 2016 that extension would take care of itself in-house.

My issue is that there's a legitimate question of how many years of quality play Brees has left. It may only be two.