Drafting a QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And we likely would have made the playoffs in that division. And are you putting Goff anywhere near that level?

Goff near Brady or Manning level? I don't know. I don't think anyone knew how good Brady or Manning would end up being. With Goff, the question is how dominant can he become mentally. Because I know the throwing ability is there. But I've heard awesome things about his mental game (and his preparation).

I think he'll be a Philip Rivers level QB...don't know if he'll reach the Manning/Brady level. It's impossible to project that.

Stel

Starter
I don't know anyone who predicted Brady. Manning (Peyton) I think many expected to become elite.

If Goff ends up with a Rivers level career, he would be worth a lot. Near 65% passer, 7.8 yds per attempt, 2/1 TD/int ratio, wins over 60% of his starts, and getting ready to start his 160th game in a row. Of course, he had the luxury of being Drew Brees back up for two seasons before he started.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know anyone who predicted Brady. Manning (Peyton) I think many expected to become elite.

If Goff ends up with a Rivers level career, he would be worth a lot. Near 65% passer, 7.8 yds per attempt, 2/1 TD/int ratio, wins over 60% of his starts, and getting ready to start his 160th game in a row. Of course, he had the luxury of being Drew Brees back up for two seasons before he started.

Yea, people expected Manning to be great. But I don't think you ever really predict a guy to be arguably the greatest QB of all time.

Do I think Goff has that potential? Yes. But it all depends on how dominant he can be upstairs. Throwing ability...he's got it. It's there. That won't hold him back from anything.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
@blackbart

Teams should be designing offenses to beat use their QBs not force them into anything.

At least the smart teams do. Look what happened with Big Ben and that O change. Lethal.

Or even Wussell. Effective playing to his talents.

And with the junk we've had at the QB position, it wouldn't be hard to make an improvement. Plus they'd have Todd. Not many rooks if any get that luxury.
I think the best coordinators and team have to do that. In our case Gurley is our horse going forward so having a team that can run the ball 30-35 times a game should be a no brainer. It would be nice to have balance and a guy that can make all the throws but I don't want to see them changing to a read option or throwing it 35-40 times a game.

I think picking guys that fit your philosophy is how Fisher and Snead have been building this team. Mannion is the kind of guy they want to run this offense, I believe Keenum has been excellent in the last 3 games and will continue to get better with more opportunities. I hate the idea of selling out the future to try moving up for Goff and I doubt anyone else would be able to start and be successful coming out of this draft. Its just my opinion but I think we have the guys on this roster who we will have playing QB next year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the best coordinators and team have to do that. In our case Gurley is our horse going forward so having a team that can run the ball 30-35 times a game should be a no brainer. It would be nice to have balance and a guy that can make all the throws but I don't want to see them changing to a read option or throwing it 35-40 times a game.

I think picking guys that fit your philosophy is how Fisher and Snead have been building this team. Mannion is the kind of guy they want to run this offense, I believe Keenum has been excellent in the last 3 games and will continue to get better with more opportunities.

I don't agree. Snead talked about wanting HOF talents. Why would they settle for less at QB? Fisher isn't going to say, "Man, if we had a great QB, we'd have to throw the ball more and I don't want that."

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I don't agree. Snead talked about wanting HOF talents. Why would they settle for less at QB? Fisher isn't going to say, "Man, if we had a great QB, we'd have to throw the ball more and I don't want that."
Wanting it and being in a realistic position to make it happen are not always the same thing.

But he surely said if we had a great RB we'd be able to run it more effectively. They were in a better position last year to try trading up for one of the 2 QBs and didn't get it' done. Whether it was because the other two teas wanted them or the Rams didn't make a big enough offer I guess we don't know. We do know they took who they said they wanted once the top two were gone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They were in a better position last year to try trading up for one of the 2 QBs and didn't get it' done. Whether it was because the other two teas wanted them or the Rams didn't make a big enough offer I guess we don't know. We do know they took who they said they wanted once the top two were gone.

Well, we do know. The Rams weren't in position. Neither was any other team. Tennessee and Tampa Bay refused to trade down.

The Eagles offered a massive package to trade up with Tennessee. Tennessee turned them down. Neither team was willing to trade down...because they both needed franchise QBs.
http://www.businessinsider.com/titans-turn-down-marcus-mariota-trade-with-eagles-2015-4

Wanting it and being in a realistic position to make it happen are not always the same thing.

I don't need another person telling me what reality will be in the future. Opinions are opinions. Not reality.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Well, we do know. The Rams weren't in position. Neither was any other team. Tennessee and Tampa Bay refused to trade down.

The Eagles offered a massive package to trade up with Tennessee. Tennessee turned them down. Neither team was willing to trade down...because they both needed franchise QBs.
http://www.businessinsider.com/titans-turn-down-marcus-mariota-trade-with-eagles-2015-4

I don't need another person telling me what reality will be in the future. Opinions are opinions. Not reality.

You are right they are all just opinions, don't take it so negatively when not everyone agrees with you it's all good you have as much chance at being right as any of the rest of us.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You are right they are all just opinions, don't take it so negatively when not everyone agrees with you it's all good you have as much chance at being right as any of the rest of us.

I don't take it negatively. I've been more than willing to hear people out and level with people. It irritates me when people equate their opinion with reality, truth, or fact. Beyond that, I am fine with disagreement. I like hearing other people's perspective. Even if I disagree, there's something to be gained by an intelligent discourse. And there's plenty of intelligent discourse here. This site is great...even when we disagree.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
That's not really true. They're hard to find but they're there.
Aaron Donald: Geno Atkins was a 4th round pick.
Todd Gurley: Le'Veon Bell was a 2nd round pick.
Chris Long: Michael Bennett was an undrafted free agent.
Robert Quinn: Justin Houston was a 3rd round pick.

my god i'm learning a lot some of you guys know your shit