Drafting a QB

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Are we at the point this can be on the main page?

Are the Rams at a point where they can fore go the BPA scenario? Have they made it passed the rebuild to the point they can say regardless of the talent pool available when we pick in round 1 or 2 we are taking a QB?

I don't see it. There will be FA before the draft but there are a lot of Rams contract to work out in that period and there undoubtedly will be more holes to fill.

Locking in to only QBs in the first round is a very bad idea IMO. We still need a guy at WR who can step in and produce right away, we may need a DE and if there is a studly MLB available it would be hard to argue with that pick(and I love JL).

For sure I would not package multiple picks to move up in this draft I don't see anyone worth more than a first round pick.

2nd round the top talent will already be gone and we have a year in to developing Mannion and should have Keenum back to compete. How much better could that talent be?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Stop the madness. How many BPA picks, high ones too, have the Rams expended under Fish? Where has it gotten us?

All positions are not equal. There are not enough good QBs to go around. If you think one of these guys is going to win games in this league and he fits what you are looking for, take him.

Draft experts would have knocked you if you took Aaron Rogers one overall. They would have went on and on about draft pick value and BPA. And they would be wrong, because a guy who can play the QB position at a high level will win you more games that a hall of famer at other positions.

Hopefully Fish and Snead realize that now.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW - @blackbart and all, I believe what we will be doing again this year is create a Draft Forum likely to replace the College Forum. Not sure but I think that is what we did last year and it worked pretty well.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Stop the madness. How many BPA picks, high ones too, have the Rams expended under Fish? Where has it gotten us?

All positions are not equal. There are not enough good QBs to go around. If you think one of these guys is going to win games in this league and he fits what you are looking for, take him.

Draft experts would have knocked you if you took Aaron Rogers one overall. They would have went on and on about draft pick value and BPA. And they would be wrong, because a guy who can play the QB position at a high level will win you more games that a hall of famer at other positions.

Hopefully Fish and Snead realize that now.
Well let's see.

It has gotten us Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Alec Ogletree, Tavon Austin, TJ McDonald, Janoris Jenkins, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Greg Robinson, Trumaine Johnson, Rob Havenstein

Its not about picking for need when build a team from a POS. So that is my real question are we there yet? I presume your response means you think we are.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
BTW - @blackbart and all, I believe what we will be doing again this year is create a Draft Forum likely to replace the College Forum. Not sure but I think that is what we did last year and it worked pretty well.
Honestly I hated it. The offseason is all about FA and the draft why wouldn't that be the main topic on the main forum??? But whatever is decided I'll play along.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
naw, never bad to upgrade a position of need. Especially when the position is so important to the overall success of the team.
I would agree with that. The thing is pick a QB in those rounds is not a guaranteed upgrade.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
1) With both Bailey and Quick being questionable to return, the wide receiver position is certainly a concern.
2) At center we don't even know if Barnes will be back. I really want Barnes to come back if only for continuity and consistency, but I don't think anyone is sold on Rhaney being the backup much less a starter, so center is a position of major concern.
3) While I'm a fan of Laurinaitis and I do think it's slim that they'll want to replace him with a rookie considering that defense is the strength of this team, I'm not confident on our depth behind him, and I have a feeling that an upgrade to middle linebacker would really benefit our defense. If nothing else, we ought to be grooming his replacement before the wheels fall off. So middle line backer is a priority.
4) We still don't know if we'll be able to sign both Johnson and Jenkins, so if a cornerback is available we should take that position seriously when considering whether either of their contracts are going to hurt the team.
5) We don't know if Long will restructure his contract for the Rams, and we all know they know that the defensive line is a high priority for this team and they sure do know how to draft for the defensive line, so if they find anyone they like at that position it would be silly not to take the safe bet.
6) When discerning whether or not Cook will be a cap casualty I think they may look into that position as well.

I just can't put the quarterback position ahead of BPA at any of those positions, especially if any of them are capable of making an immediate impact.

Athos

Legend
A top flight WR is a luxury at this point. Would love to have one but I'd rather get me my QB of the future and finish supplying the oline with quality talent.

Finding a later round WR is easier. Tho I don't think Snisher has the mind for it.

It's amazing tho what a QB can do when he has time, the arm talent, and the ability to throw guys open saying nothing of quality vision.

We have a distinct possibility of getting Cook or Wentz without doing much.

That leaves us the ability to get a dynamic WR like Boyd and or a playmaking TE like Engram or a solid all round Eifert like TE like Henry.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well let's see.

It has gotten us Aaron Donald, Todd Gurley, Alec Ogletree, Tavon Austin, TJ McDonald, Janoris Jenkins, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Greg Robinson, Trumaine Johnson, Rob Havenstein

Its not about picking for need when build a team from a POS. So that is my real question are we there yet? I presume your response means you think we are.

What??

You completely miss my point. The Rams have a roster FULL of good young players but it doesn't matter. And drafting more good young players that are not QBs will ensure more of the same.

I am tired of them acting like they know more than everyone else and turning their noses up at the position until later rounds. F value, that is what I am saying. If you hit on a QB there is no such thing as taking him too high.

Look at the Redskins. Do they miss all those picks and players? Rams have a much deeper roster but are no better than them because of the QB position.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
What??

You completely miss my point. The Rams have a roster FULL of good young players but it doesn't matter. And drafting more good young players that are not QBs will ensure more of the same.

I am tired of them acting like they know more than everyone else and turning their noses up at the position until later rounds. F value, that is what I am saying. If you hit on a QB there is no such thing as taking him too high.

Look at the Redskins. Do they miss all those picks and players? Rams have a much deeper roster but are no better than them because of the QB position.
I think I got your point right on the money. You would rather do what it takes to get a QB in the first round even if there are other players graded out higher. Is that what you are saying?

I'm good with trying to improve the team and if Snisher thinks the BPA when they are on the clock I'm good with that. I just don't want a reach and bust on a pick that high in the draft.

Round 1 EJ Manuel
Round 2 Geno Smith

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Honestly I hated it. The offseason is all about FA and the draft why wouldn't that be the main topic on the main forum??? But whatever is decided I'll play along.
Maybe if you can tell us why having a forum that everyone knows is geared toward the draft and mocks is a bad thing. Personally, I think it tells members where they can look to find all that talk. That way it doesn't get mixed in with all the other general Rams and NFL talk. A lot of people simply click on the "New Posts" option anyway so that they can see what are the latest posts.

Personally, it just makes sense to me. If I want to read about the draft and what players people are looking at for our team, I can go directly to that forum. If I want to read about what is happening with players on my team and the NFL in general, I go to that forum.

But like I said, I think we are open to reasons why that might not work for most members. If a case is made that makes sense, I don't think we would just ignore it.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe if you can tell us why having a forum that everyone knows is geared toward the draft and mocks is a bad thing. Personally, I think it tells members where they can look to find all that talk. That way it doesn't get mixed in with all the other general Rams and NFL talk. A lot of people simply click on the "New Posts" option anyway so that they can see what are the latest posts.

Personally, it just makes sense to me. If I want to read about the draft and what players people are looking at for our team, I can go directly to that forum. If I want to read about what is happening with players on my team and the NFL in general, I go to that forum.

But like I said, I think we are open to reasons why that might not work for most members. If a case is made that makes sense, I don't think we would just ignore it.
Not bad I'm just old :mrburnsevil:

and set in my way that whole extra click thing you know

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We need to get a QB. If that means trading up, so be it. I'd trade a lot to get Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch.(especially Goff) I'd trade a decent amount to get Cook...but I'm hoping he'll fall to us.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What Jrry said.

Also, BPA in the first round is different. After all the scouting during the season, bowl games, senior bowl, combine and interviews.....teams probably have a short list of who they will draft, in every round. It's less relevant in the later rounds because as more and more picks come in, things change over how you think the draft will go.

It's not like every player in the draft is actually available to us. There are guys, and positions, that they just won't draft. So if the first round consists of 7 WRs (talent wise), but they don't want a WR in the first round (for whatever reason), those guys never have a chance to be Rams. We figured this out by this regime's draft last year after the first round - no way that was a classic BPA draft. They had players picked out beforehand, and that makes sense. Not all players fit all schemes.

So this year we should have our eye on QBs. And lock in, do the homework and nab the one that they think will be the best.

Athos

Legend
Round 1 EJ Manuel
Round 2 Geno Smith

Those QBs sucked ass and I'm pretty sure most thought it hilarious and were shaking their heads in confusing at Manuel sniffing the first let alone mid first.

And Geno was garbage made possibly by Tavon and Bailey.

Goff, Lynch, Cook, and Wentz all have far more to offer.

And yea, I'm kinda effing sick of not putting required effort into addressing the most important position on the field.

Screw the FA scrap head route and half hearted draft attempts.

Grow a flipping pair and get a legit QB or all the D in the world won't matter a lick and no one is gonna wanna be JL55 and CL and SJ39 all over again.

Memphis Ram

Legend
What??

Funny thing is that the Redskins are winning with their 4th round selected QB and not the guy they sold out everything to get in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Memphis Ram

Legend
I agree with the original poster. Sure, the QB is one of, if not the most important position. However, team needs don't influence player availability. The Rams would be foolish to force a pick in the first round if the talent isn't available at their selection.