Dr Rams Offensive Tackle Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
There just is no doubt when it comes to stuff like that we Rams Bro have to stick together! She'll get over it.......

.....................and I won't show her this message :hellno:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Pace missed 6 games when he was 27.

Long also played for a different coach with those injuries - how fisher treats his vets is important...you can't like thats not a factor, especially later in the season.

And I never said you're going to get the same years - saying at least 2 or 3 (which is what he's signed for) isn't unrealistic, nor is to suddenly write off a guy because he missed almost 2 games w/ us.

I would certainly never argue that. I went to battle with menstrual font back when Fish was first hired because I had the audacity to suggest that an experienced coach like Fish might bring about less injuries because he knows when to rest his vets and how hard to push them when. But what I don't know, and maybe you do, is if and how much of Long's injuries were actually due in part to coaches' decisions.

Saffold's move inside was two fold. They needed to get the best five linemen on the field. Barks has real difficulty inside, Saffold was having issues with stretching speed rushers out so coach Bou felt Roger was better suited at Guard. It has been mentioned by others that part of Roger's injury issues could be limited by moving him inside for this reason as well. If a player is put in a position that utilizes his more natural talent, they are less likely to be injured - aside from being fallen on and those types of injuries.

I believe the Rams have also said that if Long isn't able to start the season, Barks will move to LT and Saffold will likely play RT - the position he was drafted to play.

Certainly Saffold CAN play LT but do we want him to? Do we even WANT him to play RT? I don't. He has proven that he is a very good pulling Guard and downfield blocker. Putting him up against the fastest rushers on a defense can indeed put him at greater risk of injury and he'd be less help to our offense. I'd much rather have a Rookie learning how to play in the NFL by lining up along side a vet until he can take over at LT.

You have confidence that Long will be fine. I hope you're right. I think it is time to lock down the O-line with some young talent that can start their career with proper coaching. Then we will have options beyond scouring practice squads and pulling in street FAs. The fact that Williams started 16 games for us is all I need to know.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Lol right

disagree there

I think that's funny though that he's "proved he can't play left tackle" - makes me wonder if you think there's a receiver thats proven he's a starter (not named tavon austin)
Oh good. Deflection.

But I'll answer your question in kind. What you are saying makes me wonder if you feel there's a college WR that has proven he's a #1 NFL receiver.o_O

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last year he played T twice and got hurt both times. If they move him there in a pinch he will not last and then they will really be in a pinch.

IMO you don't mess up two positions trying to fix one.

Long will not be ready to start the year and may miss as much as half the season. they have to have a better plan to replace him than Saffold or Bradford will also be missing time.

Don't get mad at me here but it helps out your point....Saffold had three injuries not two while playing OT. Saffold started his first 2013 pre season game @ ORT & on the first series he was injured the now famous #1-shoulder separation....then in the first quarter of the second regular game while starting @ ORT Saffold was injured again #2- 3rd grade knee sprain. Saffold returned to full starting duty in game 10 and remained healthy till the last regular season game when in the 2nd quarter while playing in place of Jake Long @ OLT ...Saffold suffered his third NFL concussion & was helped off the field. So Saffold suffered 3 injuries while playing OT and Zero while playing ORG.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Don't get mad at me here but it helps out your point....Saffold had three injuries not two while playing OT. Saffold started his first 2013 pre season game @ ORT & on the first series he was injured the now famous #1-shoulder separation....then in the first quarter of the second regular game while starting @ ORT Saffold was injured again #2- 3rd grade knee sprain. Saffold returned to full starting duty in game 10 and remained healthy till the last regular season game when in the 2nd quarter while playing in place of Jake Long @ OLT ...Saffold suffered his third NFL concussion & was helped off the field. So Saffold suffered 3 injuries while playing OT and Zero while playing ORG.
Why would I get mad Bro, you got my back!!:cheers:

Ramzee

Rookie
I agree with you on everything you said. There's a drop off, and then another one, but I do think Robinson, and Matthews are both special, and have more potential than any of the guys last year, for instance, I think Moses is the dreaded RTO, so I'd much rather try to get James, Bitonio, Hendo, or Mewhort.
Being a RTO isn't a condemnation that you shouldn't get drafted highly. So I don't agree with dropping a guy to the bottom of a ranking list just solely for that reason. To me, it just means, you need to start in this league or you're not going to be worth the pick. I thought D.J. Fluker was a RTO last year (even though he played some LT last year for SD) and he went with the 12th overall pick. It seemed justified after the year he had. I'm ok with that.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Being a RTO isn't a condemnation that you shouldn't get drafted highly. So I don't agree with dropping a guy to the bottom of a ranking list just solely for that reason. To me, it just means, you need to start in this league or you're not going to be worth the pick. I thought D.J. Fluker was a RTO last year (even though he played some LT last year for SD) and he went with the 12th overall pick. It seemed justified after the year he had. I'm ok with that.
I have him ranked, and think he will be a very good RT, but I like versatility. I also like what Barks did, and how he worked with Saffold. I think he'll be a good player, but he's not at the top of my list, because of fit, and need.
We have a lot of holes, or possible holes, and the list was made before we signed Saffold, who has an over documented, and mentioned, injury history.

Where would you put Moses?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR, you may wish to keep an eye on Billy Turner of North Dakota State. He may not be able to play tackle at the next level, but he has the experience on both the left and right sides, and I feel that he could play every position except center and do it at a high level.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
DR, you may wish to keep an eye on Billy Turner of North Dakota State. He may not be able to play tackle at the next level, but he has the experience on both the left and right sides, and I feel that he could play every position except center and do it at a high level.
I like Turner, he wasn't on my radar, but was after the post season games, and combine, and then I watched tape on him. He needs some coaching and strength, but he's on the list I made back then. He'd be one of my sleepers later in the draft. He looks very versatile.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Hey, Memento, where would you put Turner? I was thinking 3rd to 6th, and I know that is not very specific, but some teams will fall in love with him, I think.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Hey, Memento, where would you put Turner? I was thinking 3rd to 6th, and I know that is not very specific, but some teams will fall in love with him, I think.

I'd put him squarely in the third round with little chance of falling later on barring some off the field issue or injury. With more coaching, he could be an All-Pro at guard. With his versatility (being able to play both tackle and guard spots), mean streak, and athleticism, he's become one of my favorite O-line prospects in this draft. Personally, I have him rated neck-and-neck with Bitonio.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron