Dr Rams Offensive Tackle Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I do this every year, and I think that this is the deepest OL I have ever seen. I'll start with the Tackles, some of which may project to, or be able to play Guard.

1. Greg Robinson OT/G, Auburn 6’5” 332.

Measurables: Arm length 35”; Official 40 yard dash: 4.92; 10 yard dash: 1.68; Bench Press: 32 reps; Broad jump: 113.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.80.

Strengths: Massive, long arms, devastating run blocker. Can down block and wipe out an entire defensive line. Good balance, and a huge impact at the LOS. Gets to the 2nd level easily, and blocks in space. Very good at understanding angles, shades, and footwork while run blocking. Exceptional athlete pound for pound, and that is a lot of poundage. Natural knee bender, who plays with excellent leverage. Showed the ability to slide way out in space and block a blitzing corner.

Weaknesses: Offense that he played in was untraditional, and didn’t put him in a lot of passing situations. Even when they passed, most of the time, he stayed at the LOS and blocked his man there. Strange pass protection schemes. Needs experience and coaching in pass pro, and he’s only a redshirt sophomore who has been playing the position for just a few years.

Summary: Huge ceiling, and can already step on the field and probably be a dominant run blocking Guard. With coaching and experience, he could be a Pro Bowl caliber player at 4 positions, but will eventually be a dominant OLT. Has all the tools to be a day one starter in the NFL.

2. Jake Matthews OT/G, Texas A&M 6’5” 308

Measurables: Arm length: 33 3/8”; Official 40 yard dash: 5.07; 10 yard dash: 1.70; Bench Press: 24 reps; Broad jump: 105.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.34.

Strengths: An extremely skilled technician from both OT positions. Best pass protector at his position. Unbelievable bloodlines. Very smooth athlete. The combine dispelled any rumors about him not being athletic. Plays with smarts, and leverage. Good initial punch, and great at sticking to his guy. Great hand usage, and placement. Excellent kickslide. Good run blocker, and understands everything about blocking. Extremely polished.

Weaknesses: Not a devastating run blocker. His arms and weight are not ideal for his position, but are not a hindrance either. Needs to gain a little weight and strength are his only real weaknesses.

Summary: Pro ready starting OLT, but could also probably start at every position on the OL. Extremely clean player, maybe the safest player in the draft. All-Pro capability in a couple of years.

3. Taylor Lewan OT, Michigan 6’7” 309

Measurables: Arm length: 33 7/8”; Official 40 yard dash: 4.87; 10 yard dash: 1.64; Bench Press: 29 reps; Broad jump: 117.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.39.

Strengths: Long, lean athlete. Probably had the best combine to help himself. He’s a 4-year starter at a big time program. Good kickslide, and decent knee bend. Plays with attitude. Can get to and block on the next level. Performed at the combine better than he shows on film.

Weaknesses: Not a great run blocker. His arms and weight are not ideal for his position. Needs to gain weight and strength. Doesn’t look like a natural knee bender on tape. Can get his head out over his body and lose his man. Doesn’t have a good initial punch, and can be stonewalled. Can get beat with a speed rush. Thin legs, he’s a tackle only.

Summary: May have really helped himself at the combine. He was a workout warrior, and has a lot of experience playing the position. Has had some on field and off field problems caused by his temper. His college tape reminds me of Nate Solder. Coached up, could be a very good franchise level OLT player in a couple of years.

4. Antonio Richardson OT, Tennessee 6'6” 336

Measurables: Arm length: 35”; Official 40 yard dash: 5.3; 10 yard dash: 1.80; Bench Press: 36 reps; Broad jump: DNP; 3 cone drill: DNP.

Strengths: Prototypical size, and weight for an OT. Very strong, very powerful. Has decent technique in pass pro. Quick feet for a big man. Good kickslide, and good initial punch. Saw him in a help situation, and still able to come off and pick up a blitzer. Can get to the next level, and is a good drive blocker. Capable of collapsing the defensive line on a down block. Good leverage, understands angles, and shades. Would work in zone or man schemes.

Weaknesses: Not always consistent. Doesn’t always play to potential. Can get sloppy with his hands, and feet, especially as the game wears on. Not nasty, but will finish his man. Can get beat to the inside. Plays with too wide of base sometimes.

Summary: Lots of potential, perfect size and weight. Needs better conditioning, and needs to clean up some technique issues, but has the tools to be special if motivated to do so. There’s good and bad tape on him, but he can be a beast.

5. Joe Bitonio OT/G, Nevada 6’4” 302

Measurables: Arm length: 33 7/8”; Official 40 yard dash: 4.9; 10 yard dash: 1.71; Bench Press: 22 reps; Broad jump: 114.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.37.

Strengths: Plays with an edge, and likes to finish defenders. Absolutely glides in pass pro, and excelled against top 10 – 20 edge rushers, including Anthony Barr who he shut down. Great leverage player, and always goes forward when run blocking. He’s a smart, versatile, adaptive, and strong lower body. A plus athlete, and is said to be able to play every position on the offensive line.

Weaknesses: Can use his hands too much, too wide. Needs to add weight, and might be best utilized as a Guard, because of his tenacious run blocking, and not ideal size for an OT.

Summary: Very skilled, very smart, and a very smooth underrated athlete. I think he would be an asset to any team, and can play any position in a pinch. Could add some weight, and upper body strength. He had a great combine, and he may have played his way to the top of the 2nd round.

6. Zack Martin OT/G/C, Notre Dame 6’4” 308

Measurables: Arm length: 32 7/8”; Official 40 yard dash: DNP; 10 yard dash: DNP; Bench Press: 29 reps; Broad jump: 106.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.65.

Strengths: Experts say that he can play every position on the offensive line. Martin is a very smooth, and technical player. Exceptional experience, he started 52 games at Notre Dame. Great balance, hands, feet, and kickslide. Team captain, he’s a very clean player. Gets to the next level with ease, and can combo block.

Weaknesses: Not ideal size, and arm length to be an OT, but not powerful enough, yet, to be an effective drive blocker in the run game, nor does he have experience as a Guard.

Summary: Rated as a mid first rounder by most, but I think he’s a bit of a tweener. He’s a tackle only, IMO, but he’s not ideally suited to play there. I think he can play tackle at the next level, but he will have to gain good weight and strength.

7. Ja’Waun James OT, Tennessee 6’6” 311

Measurables: Arm length: 35”; Official 40 yard dash: 5.34; 10 yard dash: DNP; Bench Press: 22 reps; Broad jump: 103.0”; 3 cone drill: 7.42.

Strengths: Started all 49 games played. Big, strong player with ideal size, and length for an OT. Very powerful drive blocker against top competition in the SEC. Can combo, cut, and down block effectively. Good initial pop, but sometimes loses separation. Can zone, or man block. Quick feet, and smooth runner.

Weaknesses: Can struggle a little in space, and doesn’t always stick. Can get a little upright in pass pro, and can get a little sloppy at times.

Summary: Prototypical size. Needs to be coached up in a few areas, such as taking better angles in space, and better overall technique and footwork. Looks like a day one starter, and has a chance to be a very good OT on either side. Is said to have outstanding intangibles: smart, and well respected.

Others:
Jack Mewhort
Billy Turner
Justin Britt
Seantrel Henderson
Morgan Moses

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Very interesting appraisal, Dr Ram; thank you.

From what I've seen, there's a drop off after the top two to Lewan and then an even bigger gap after him to the rest.

I really don't see the need for the Rams to draft an OT this year, with Jake Long at LT and Joe Barksdale playing well on the right, although I appreciate that there are concerns about Long's fitness and depth behind the two starters.

I'd be satisfied if we took Matthews or Robinson early and had them learn the ropes at guard for a year or two before replacing Long, but a lot of people in the contemporary "I want it now!" world would see that (incorrectly, in my view) as a wasted pick.

I wouldn't be averse to taking Henderson, Moses or Mewhort in round 4 or later as depth.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very interesting appraisal, Dr Ram; thank you.

From what I've seen, there's a drop off after the top two to Lewan and then an even bigger gap after him to the rest.

I really don't see the need for the Rams to draft an OT this year, with Jake Long at LT and Joe Barksdale playing well on the right, although I appreciate that there are concerns about Long's fitness and depth behind the two starters.
I'd be satisfied if we took Matthews or Robinson early and had them learn the ropes at guard for a year or two before replacing Long, but a lot of people in the contemporary "I want it now!" world would see that (incorrectly, in my view) as a wasted pick.

I wouldn't be averse to taking Henderson, Moses or Mewhort in round 4 or later as depth.
I agree with you on everything you said. There's a drop off, and then another one, but I do think Robinson, and Matthews are both special, and have more potential than any of the guys last year, for instance, I think Moses is the dreaded RTO, so I'd much rather try to get James, Bitonio, Hendo, or Mewhort.

There is a Guard list that I am going to do, it's shorter and not as comprehensive, but there are some players that I really like that are more Guard first, then Tackle possible players. It may be a better route. It all depends on how much we value the top two OT's. I wouldn't even pick Lewan in this scenario, because he is a Tackle only in my book. I would pick a Tackle only later in the draft as you suggest.

When I'm done, I'll lay out my whole plan to solidify the OL for now, and the future.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I wish I had your faith in Long.

The guy has been seriously injured the last 3 years. He hasn't played a major injury free season since 2010.

As Faulk said, teams just don't let LOTs go unless there is something wrong. Well, Miami did let Long go and it was demonstrated why. Another serious injury.

I'd say the odds of Long breaking down are sooner than later. My view is that depending on Long to hold up at LOT this year is flat out irresponsible. And there is no way I would put Bradford, coming off major surgery, behind an OL that expected Long to protect him.

laramsoriginal

Starter
I like Mewhort, he has experience at both G/T with ideal size. If the rams can snatch him up in the 2nd round it would provide needed depth this year and be ready to start in 2015 at a very high level imo

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Martin, I actually thought he looked good as a run blocker. I had greater concerns with his ability to anchor. He seemed to struggle at times on the edge with powerful DEs so that is a concern I have with him at OG.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice work, DR.

I've heard good things about Zach Martin and project him as an OG at the next level.

fearsomefour

Legend
Good report, thanks Dr.
I love Bitonio. Have seen him a lot as he plays where I live. I think he projects very well as a G. Having the versatility to be a starting G and back up T is a nice bonus.
I have seen him projected anywhere from low first round to fourth round. I was hoping the Rams could steal him in the third, doesn't seem likely if he is rated that highly.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I don't what will happen, but one thing I can guarantee you is Seantrel Henderson is gonna be a HoF player.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wish I had your faith in Long.

The guy has been seriously injured the last 3 years. He hasn't played a major injury free season since 2010.

As Faulk said, teams just don't let LOTs go unless there is something wrong. Well, Miami did let Long go and it was demonstrated why. Another serious injury.

I'd say the odds of Long breaking down are sooner than later. My view is that depending on Long to hold up at LOT this year is flat out irresponsible. And there is no way I would put Bradford, coming off major surgery, behind an OL that expected Long to protect him.
Not sure why you think I have blind faith in Long. I said I'd take a tackle early, or later, and the guards I'm interested in can all play tackle too.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
With Martin, I actually thought he looked good as a run blocker. I had greater concerns with his ability to anchor. He seemed to struggle at times on the edge with powerful DEs so that is a concern I have with him at OG.
I think he struggles with power period. More than Bitonio, who I think is very similar, but has more of an edge, and is more powerful. I like Martin, I just think he needs a little development/strength to be a good player.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good report, thanks Dr.
I love Bitonio. Have seen him a lot as he plays where I live. I think he projects very well as a G. Having the versatility to be a starting G and back up T is a nice bonus.
I have seen him projected anywhere from low first round to fourth round. I was hoping the Rams could steal him in the third, doesn't seem likely if he is rated that highly.
I don't know where the experts have him ranked, but I think pretty highly of him. I think he'd be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
I agree with you on everything you said. There's a drop off, and then another one, but I do think Robinson, and Matthews are both special, and have more potential than any of the guys last year, for instance, I think Moses is the dreaded RTO, so I'd much rather try to get James, Bitonio, Hendo, or Mewhort.

There is a Guard list that I am going to do, it's shorter and not as comprehensive, but there are some players that I really like that are more Guard first, then Tackle possible players. It may be a better route. It all depends on how much we value the top two OT's. I wouldn't even pick Lewan in this scenario, because he is a Tackle only in my book. I would pick a Tackle only later in the draft as you suggest.

When I'm done, I'll lay out my whole plan to solidify the OL for now, and the future.
So, if you had to pick one? I'd personally go Robinson I feel this kid has HOF potential man.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
So, if you had to pick one? I'd personally go Robinson I feel this kid has HOF potential man.
Robinson's tape blew me away, and then after the combine, I think he's a freak. He's a hard comparison, but in a good way I think. I'd be more than happy with Matthews, but Robinson for me, and then I'd take Brandon Thomas, or Yankey, or Bitonio, or Su'a-Filo, or Dozier, Jalapio, or James.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Much greater chance he's out of the league in 5 years, imo.
Question for me, is he Alex Barron? Second question, if you got him late, would you be happy with that?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Dr. has spoken. Great work and as always you are correct.
If I was to take a flyer in mid rounds it would be Henderson. Like Barrett Jones I think he needs a year to sit and learn before he even tries to play.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Question for me, is he Alex Barron? Second question, if you got him late, would you be happy with that?

I have been wanting to take a late round flyer on Henderson all season. If we can grab him in the 5th or somehow later, I'm down for it 100%