Dr Rams Offensive Tackle Scouting Report

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Not sure why you think I have blind faith in Long. I said I'd take a tackle early, or later, and the guards I'm interested in can all play tackle too.
My post was in response to flipper.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My post was in response to flipper.
This is the year that we need to add quality depth to our OL. We should have already, IMO, but I'm OK with most of what we have done in the past. Patchwork OL would never be the direction that I would go. I'm tired of it. Fix it, and call it done. We fix units at a time, according to Snead, this is the unit we need to focus on now, and this is the draft to do it.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is the year that we need to add quality depth to our OL. We should have already, IMO, but I'm OK with most of what we have done in the past. Patchwork OL would never be the direction that I would go. I'm tired of it. Fix it, and call it done. We fix units at a time, according to Snead, this is the unit we need to focus on now, and this is the draft to do it.
This is where I am as well. It is finally time we actually use real resources to build an elite and deep O-line. And there is some real potential to do that in this draft. Thanks for the thread Dr. Looking forward to the next one and then the final. Dig this stuff.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
That's a good point about fixing units at a time. They did that already with the DL. Time to move on from it. So drafting Clowney doesn't mesh with Sneads philosophy.

And they drafted 4 WRs in 2 years, using the 8th overall, 33rd overall, plus a 3rd and 4th rounder. If they believe in their picks they will give them benefit of time to develop this year.

The OL sticks out like a sore thumb. They have invested only a 4th and 5th rounder in it. It is screaming to be addressed more than any other area.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Much greater chance he's out of the league in 5 years, imo.

I was joking...b/c no one knows how these guys are gonna end up. I bet some 5th rounder is gonna be a stud.

But then I found out this Seatrell fella has been arrested before.:sick::sick::sick:

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Nice work Doc! Thank you. I am, however, interested in your (and others) opinions on James Hurst, LT UNC. I don't watch a lot of college football, basically only my 'Heels and some bowl games. I know he was mentioned as a potential 1st rounder before his late December injury. If we could land him in the 3rd/4th I think he would be a steal and could add depth after healthy and challenge for the RT position next year.

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
Hurst would be a good depth signing, in my opinion. It's not that long since he was rated as a late-first or early-second round prospect.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Nice work Doc! Thank you. I am, however, interested in your (and others) opinions on James Hurst, LT UNC. I don't watch a lot of college football, basically only my 'Heels and some bowl games. I know he was mentioned as a potential 1st rounder before his late December injury. If we could land him in the 3rd/4th I think he would be a steal and could add depth after healthy and challenge for the RT position next year.
He's a solid player from what I can tell, and I know he was on a couple award lists. Brutal injury not that long ago. I wouldn't take him earlier than the 5th, unless medical comes back real clean. It make take him a while to get back.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am very impressed at how Matthews measured up athletically to the others. I think of him more as a sound technician than a great athlete but it appears he is both.
He could be the kind of player that floats around on your team playing LT for 10+ years you hardly hear his name except during contract talks, never makes the Pro Bowl but is consistently a top 5 LT in the league.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
What is your takes on Jack Mewhort OL Ohio St Versatile guy plays a lot of positions and played for a top school.
If we don't grab a guy high we may be looking at that next tier does Mewhort fit in?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
What is your takes on Jack Mewhort OL Ohio St Versatile guy plays a lot of positions and played for a top school.
If we don't grab a guy high we may be looking at that next tier does Mewhort fit in?
I haven't been able to find as much tape as I like on Mewhort, but he flashed for me, and has everything that I like in a player. I think he but be a very good fit, and has a good base, digs in, and uses his wingspan very well. I thought he had a good Senior Bowl, has played every position except Center. He minds me a bit of Bahktiari last year. He is a second round talent at Guard, or RT, and I'd be very happy with him on our team.

He showed me slightly above average flexion at the combine, and appears to be a natural leg bender. I think he's a little more powerful than he may get credit for. He struck Matthews in a drill and really rocked him, and he also competed extremely hard the entire day.

He got a one game suspension, I think...for pissing on a wall in public, with a few other guys.He also got charged for basically trying to talk his way out of it, LOL. I think he's a starter at RT, or Guard in the NFL, and he will put in the work to do it.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am beginning to think we go elite talent potential at 2. Clowney (gasp), Robinson, Watkins? or trade down. It just seems as though 2 is too high for us to draft a need.
Donald is intriguing but no way at 2 for me even though I think he will translate well to the NFL size or not and it is a position we could use to improve and add depth so is LB for that matter.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I am beginning to think we go elite talent potential at 2. Clowney (gasp), Robinson, Watkins? or trade down. It just seems as though 2 is too high for us to draft a need.
Donald is intriguing but no way at 2 for me even though I think he will translate well to the NFL size or not and it is a position we could use to improve and add depth so is LB for that matter.
I'd only draft Clowney, Robinson, or Matthews at #2. Oh, Mewhort had very heavy hands too.

I think we pick the best corner/safety talent at #13, or trade down and do the same.

Last edited:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
My thoughts are pretty similar, I throw in Watkins more on need than actual elite talent, for me if he had more size 6' 3"+ and everything else was the same then maybe he could be elite.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I haven't been able to find as much tape as I like on Mewhort, but he flashed for me, and has everything that I like in a player. I think he but be a very good fit, and has a good base, digs in, and uses his wingspan very well. I thought he had a good Senior Bowl, has played every position except Center. He minds me a bit of Bahktiari last year. He is a second round talent at Guard, or RT, and I'd be very happy with him on our team.

He showed me slightly above average flexion at the combine, and appears to be a natural leg bender. I think he's a little more powerful than he may get credit for. He struck Matthews in a drill and really rocked him, and he also competed extremely hard the entire day.

He got a one game suspension, I think...for pissing on a wall in public, with a few other guys.He also got charged for basically trying to talk his way out of it, LOL. I think he's a starter at RT, or Guard in the NFL, and he will put in the work to do it.

I liked the way he handled Mack's power. Anchors well and seemed to have good balance.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I liked the way he handled Mack's power. Anchors well and seemed to have good balance.
Saw the same thing, he could anchor, and re-anchor. Big plus.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Rams were at Bitonio's pro day, and he worked at all the OL positions. According to roto, the Rams were very interested, and specifically worked him at the Center position. It appears that the Rams are really looking at versatile OL players, as I expected they would. I really like this guy. He's probably a 2nd round prospect, could slip to the third, but I don't think he will make it.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132769/joel-bitonio

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It was first posted right after the combine, but before Mayock changed his rankings...Bitonio was not in his top 5, but he is now.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome post. Just a question, do you have Robinson ahead of Matthews in ability or future potential?