Dotson and a contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, I think the tenders to restricted free agents will come-out this week.
Exactly. So he’s still a FA and while he will (or may) be tendered, we don’t know what level and potentially what risk of loss there may be.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’m actually thinking Lake can man the SS position. But point being all 5 DB positions are up for grabs - so the Rams need to infuse some serious talent.

Yep - from Shula’s interview IMO The Rams use more of a zone man type defense.They like LAKE because of his cover skills.The Rams will try to upgrade with a cover LBer to go with Jones.

dang

Legend
Can’t count on Spotrac free agent market values being accurate but I don’t see how the Rams would be willing to pay Dotson $16+ million when there are so many other FA and Draft options significantly cheaper:
-4+ IOL starter options via Draft
-5+ OT starter options via Draft
-FAs like TSmith, CWilliams, TBrown, AJames, RHunt, etc.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can’t count on Spotrac free agent market values being accurate but I don’t see how the Rams would be willing to pay Dotson $16+ million when there are so many other FA and Draft options significantly cheaper:
-4+ IOL starter options via Draft
-5+ OT starter options via Draft
-FAs like TSmith, CWilliams, TBrown, AJames, RHunt, etc.

That price tag for Dotson is for a reason.What The Rams decide is anyone’s guess.

Witherspoon is a player no one is really talking about.I say Alaric Jackson & Hoecht as well ? Fuller, J. Williams & Shelton ? Carson Wentz

Hard to look at the draft right now ? In the next week we will get a better idea.

IMO Noteboom is a part of the puzzle.He is going to be either The Rams starting LT or RG.If nothing else The 6th Man !!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Obviously, I don’t post, but have read this site for years. Having never played football, but have been a Ram for decades I have some knowledge of the game. Certainly, not near as much as most that post here. That being said, here's my thoughts on resigning of Dotson and his FA market.

First, I think Sneed is playing this the right way with both Dotson and Shelton. Before 2023 Dotson was at best an average guard. And then, for whatever reason, he becomes a top player at his position. If another team had a need for a top guard, would they commit $15-$18-$20MM a year for five years after only one year of outstanding play with another team? I would not. Why? Maybe, the scheme isn’t compatible (Pittsburg), won’t respond to the line coach, the overall coaching and team environment isn’t as good, or the chance to win consistently isn’t there. That’s a lot of money to commit to someone who out of nowhere plays at an All-Pro level.

For the reasons above, I would be surprised if he receives any long term offers for over $15MM annually. Because of his sudden great play in 2023 Sneed might look at a contract such as:

$75MM / 5 year with $30MM guaranteed at signing in the first two years. This way if Dotson reverts back to his previous play the contract is done in two years with a small dead cap number. A possible structure might be a $10MM signing bonus prorated at $2MM a year for the five years. Then a salary of $8MM in 2024 and $12MM for 2025.
For example the cap hits might be:
2024 - $10MM
2025 - $14MM
2026-28 - $17MM a year

This way Dotson gets a guaranteed $30MM in the first two years and if he continues to play at an All-Pro level more money can be guaranteed after the 2025 season. It’s just one example that might work for both parties. Dotson seemed to like playing for the Rams and his teammates appeared to enjoy and respect him as well. But, I’m not naive to think Dotson may just want the big bag and doesn’t care that much about winning or playing for an outstanding coaching staff and environment.

As for Shelton. I’d go $6-7MM per year at most for two years. I can’t see another team paying him more than that. Consider he plays between Avila and Dotson. Unless another team has a guard tandem of that quality then why would they sign Shelton? I think his market is pretty much the Rams. And, Avila was an outstanding center in his final year in college. So, no Shelton, then move Avila to center and draft a guard (3rd round?). There’s plenty of good ones available. Or, there could be a guard prospect already on the team that’s ready to step up.

Sorry for the long post. The bright side is that I only post every few years! Lol.
Post more often! :thumbsup1:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Interesting that NFL.com has Dotson ranked 3rd among available OGs behind Robert Hunt and John Simpson. We should keep an eye on those guys, along with Jonah Jackson and Jon Runyan, to see how the market is being set.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams don’t sign Dotson and don’t find a good replacement in FA, do they target Fuaga and play him at guard until Havenstein retires?

It’s been reported that Fuaga was one of the most impressive interviews at the combine, and he is more of a right tackle than a left tackle.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
If the Rams don’t sign Dotson and don’t find a good replacement in FA, do they target Fuaga and play him at guard until Havenstein retires?

It’s been reported that Fuaga was one of the most impressive interviews at the combine, and he is more of a right tackle than a left tackle.
I would love it if Fuaga falls to us, I doubt he will, and we take him even if we sign Dotson. I love that nasty attitude he plays with. In my opinion, I think he can play LT LG RG or RT and excel doing it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I wonder if they could approach AJ with an extension and a plan to move him to RG, this yr, with the intention to then transition him to RT, in say 2 yrs, when Havenstein might hang it up.

Then with your first pick you take a LT type, whether it be Guyton or Mims at 19 or move up for Fuaga. That's assuming they feel they can play LT.

AJ is probably better suited for RT and then you lock in a LT for the long haul with a very cheap deal for 5 yrs.

So then there is no rush to get a RG for this yr with a high pick, and you lock up your OTs for years.

Memphis Ram

Legend

I heard someone suggest the same thing with Latham.

But I wonder if the Bruss tackle conversion to guard flop might give them cold feet.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I heard someone suggest the same thing with Latham.

But I wonder if the Bruss tackle conversion to guard flop might give them cold feet.
I think that was more a failure of Bruss as a player than a failure of a transition. Even people who've had rocky transitions inside have had a great deal more success than Bruss.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
LT AJ - LG Fuaga - C Avila - RG Dotson - RT Hav would be monstrous.

If we switched out Shelton for Dotson in that line up, we'd have a pretty good set up as well...

Maybe going after Fuaga is the right move

Memphis Ram

Legend
I think that was more a failure of Bruss as a player than a failure of a transition. Even people who've had rocky transitions inside have had a great deal more success than Bruss.
I agree. But it may still provide some cold feet. Especially when still trying to win during this Stafford, Donald, Kupp window.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup, draft is hit or miss no matter what the profile suggests.
That's why I find the idea of drafting a guy in hopes of him being good foolish as opposed to signing/trading for a player who's proven (Burns/Dotson)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
So PFF’s 8th ranked guard Ezra Cleveland signed a three year $28 million dollar contract. Is Dotson really going to bring much more?

Psycho_X

Legend
So PFF’s 8th ranked guard Ezra Cleveland signed a three year $28 million dollar contract. Is Dotson really going to bring much more?
Idk, but I was originally thinking Dotson would get a 5 year/$75 million max contract. This contract probably keeps that kind of inline being that estimate is an average of $15 mil a year. Course that's a max # which rarely comes out to actual yearly values or cap numbers. The more guard contracts like this that happen though only helps set the market so I'm glad they started the ball rolling at a reasonable price.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I really hope that’s a good indicator that he won’t break bank.
There are good IOL prospects in this draft and that might keep the market lower.