Dotson and a contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Yeah cuz no rookie ever played well for us that was drafted in the 2nd :laugh1: Sounds like you are hell bent on Dotson getting signed no matter the cost. I'll say again that I want Dotson back but not at some astronomical price.
I said that would be great lol. If that happens than awesome and kudos to Mr. Snead.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am just saying it is not their doing that they are so called "letting him hit FA". They are not in control of that.
The could have signed each of them to long term deals without knowing how well they would play. In the past they have been a bit impetuous with their contracts, they clearly have moved away from it. I'm not disagreeing with the methodology, just acknowledging its a change. And like I said, I'm here for it. I want Dotson back for sure but am completely confident that if they let him walk, they have a plan

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So Rams have to decide if they want to pay $20m for one starter or $20m for 2 starters ($10m each). They have a lot of open positions so I’m leaning towards the latter.
Likely the 20mill player will have a less than 10 mill cap hit, so they'd still have room for your 10 mill player

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I said that would be great lol. If that happens than awesome and kudos to Mr. Snead.
I'm just giving you shit more than anything :laugh1: Honestly rather have Dotson back first and foremost so we definitely agree there. No matter the route we go, it's all a risk but at least Dotson showed he can ball out vs an unknown. Think all the agents are going to push these players to test FA with how high the cap has gone up. Honestly can't fault the players for that, it's the smart thing to do.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
As much as I want Dotson, if him and his agent are attempting to break the bank big time, then the Rams shouldn't give in just so keep him here. He literally had one good year. That's one hell of a risk to take. I understand he should get a pay raise, but to be amongst the highest paid guards is insane.
He isn't the only gem in the FA pool. We should be negotiating with several of the better OG's and go with the best deal.
I'd take Hunter at 21 over Dotson at 17 though. I'd take huff at 15-16 as well.

I don't think there will be any corners worth it unfortunately since Sneed and Johnson will be tagged before they're allowed to walk.
Hunter at 21m over Dotson at 17m is a no brainer. Hunter is probably looking for like 24-25m now though with the cap increase. Huff seems high at 15-16m for a part time player.
I will say though that there are some rookies who they could draft and I wouldn't be that concerned. If they drafted Graham Barton or Troy Fautanau in the second round you get youth, upside, and a cheap contract. And those two dudes are straight up gamers. But I'm glad they have options like you said.
The problem is, both of those guys are heavily rumored to be 1st round guys. I doubt they drop to mid 2nd, but would welcome them with open arms if they did.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hunter at 21m over Dotson at 17m is a no brainer. Hunter is probably looking for like 24-25m now though with the cap increase.
Even before the CAP increase he would be looking at that number. 21 is the franchise tag value that he ensured he wouldnt be stuck with.
If Dotson's aav is 17 mill, he probably is only hitting the cap for half of that.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I think you could make the argument that we need starters at each top 3 CB spots. But I think many of us are making assumptions that starters aren't gonna come from 2nd and 3rd year guys continuing to develop.
Absolutely. Conversely, an argument can be made that we only need 1 CB. Do Kendricks, Durant and Tomlinson take steps from last year to this year (as you mention)? Not to mention Lake in a coverage role.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely. Conversely, an argument can be made that we only need 1 CB. Do Kendricks, Durant and Tomlinson take steps from last year to this year (as you mention)? Not to mention Lake in a coverage role.
What isnt an argument is that the o-line from last year only has 2 of the 5 starters under contract

PARAM

Hall of Fame
K- draft in round six
LT- resign Ajax. Only draft if an elite prospect falls to 19, or if Kiran Amegadjie is available in R3
OC- Shelton.
RG- resign Dotson
TE- draft cover for Allen in R5/6
WR3- Robinson
Edge AND CB1- draft in R1 and R2. These should be our top two picks, depending upon who is available.
DE- resign Hoecht and stop dropping him into coverage
CB2- Kendrick (runs for cover)
S- draft in R3 or later
LB- ditto
Or PK may already be on the roster.
LT - NEED will probably be AJax
C - NEED - Shelton, other FA or draft choice
RG-NEED
TE - Allen, Long and draft pick
WR- COVERED
EDGE - NEED
CB1 - NEED
DE - resign Jonah Williams, draft 1
CB2 - COVERED Kendricks, Durant, Tomlinson
S - Lake, Yeast, draft pick

I still count only 5 or 6 needs. JMHO

dang

Legend
Likely the 20mill player will have a less than 10 mill cap hit, so they'd still have room for your 10 mill player
I’d say that’s definately an option IF the $20m player was GUARANTEED to perform at the $20m level of play (barring injury) for the next 2-3 years.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d say that’s definately an option IF the $20m player was GUARANTEED to perform at the $20m level of play (barring injury) for the next 2-3 years.
Nobody is guaranteed of performing
The list of highly paid free agents who underwhelm is very long

scvramfan1

UDFA
Name
Ted
Obviously, I don’t post, but have read this site for years. Having never played football, but have been a Ram for decades I have some knowledge of the game. Certainly, not near as much as most that post here. That being said, here's my thoughts on resigning of Dotson and his FA market.

First, I think Sneed is playing this the right way with both Dotson and Shelton. Before 2023 Dotson was at best an average guard. And then, for whatever reason, he becomes a top player at his position. If another team had a need for a top guard, would they commit $15-$18-$20MM a year for five years after only one year of outstanding play with another team? I would not. Why? Maybe, the scheme isn’t compatible (Pittsburg), won’t respond to the line coach, the overall coaching and team environment isn’t as good, or the chance to win consistently isn’t there. That’s a lot of money to commit to someone who out of nowhere plays at an All-Pro level.

For the reasons above, I would be surprised if he receives any long term offers for over $15MM annually. Because of his sudden great play in 2023 Sneed might look at a contract such as:

$75MM / 5 year with $30MM guaranteed at signing in the first two years. This way if Dotson reverts back to his previous play the contract is done in two years with a small dead cap number. A possible structure might be a $10MM signing bonus prorated at $2MM a year for the five years. Then a salary of $8MM in 2024 and $12MM for 2025.
For example the cap hits might be:
2024 - $10MM
2025 - $14MM
2026-28 - $17MM a year

This way Dotson gets a guaranteed $30MM in the first two years and if he continues to play at an All-Pro level more money can be guaranteed after the 2025 season. It’s just one example that might work for both parties. Dotson seemed to like playing for the Rams and his teammates appeared to enjoy and respect him as well. But, I’m not naive to think Dotson may just want the big bag and doesn’t care that much about winning or playing for an outstanding coaching staff and environment.

As for Shelton. I’d go $6-7MM per year at most for two years. I can’t see another team paying him more than that. Consider he plays between Avila and Dotson. Unless another team has a guard tandem of that quality then why would they sign Shelton? I think his market is pretty much the Rams. And, Avila was an outstanding center in his final year in college. So, no Shelton, then move Avila to center and draft a guard (3rd round?). There’s plenty of good ones available. Or, there could be a guard prospect already on the team that’s ready to step up.

Sorry for the long post. The bright side is that I only post every few years! Lol.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The could have signed each of them to long term deals without knowing how well they would play. In the past they have been a bit impetuous with their contracts, they clearly have moved away from it. I'm not disagreeing with the methodology, just acknowledging its a change. And like I said, I'm here for it. I want Dotson back for sure but am completely confident that if they let him walk, they have a plan
There have only been a handful of guys that get 2nd contracts and those are your proven stars like Kupp, Donald, etc... or guys that were not going to get huge contracts like Allen.

Noteboom might be the only guy they went out and overpaid for to keep, and that was based on the importance of his position and not having a top 100 pick in that upcoming draft to find a LT. That's the yr when they took Bruss at 103 as their first pick.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There have only been a handful of guys that get 2nd contracts and those are your proven stars like Kupp, Donald, etc... or guys that were not going to get huge contracts like Allen.

Noteboom might be the only guy they went out and overpaid for to keep, and that was based on the importance of his position and not having a top 100 pick in that upcoming draft to find a LT. That's the yr when they took Bruss at 103 as their first pick.
You will really try to make anything in to an argument.
The philosophy has changed, sorry you cant see that

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What if we just drafted another stud G in the 2nd round again? Just a thought
I wonder as well and we'll see if it turns out this way. IF (and that's a big IF) there is another Avila out there, he won't cost much and the Rams can use the cap savings on Shelton or whatever free agents they want to sign. Many options available.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Before 2023 Dotson was at best an average guard
Which isnt true
He played out of position in his first 2 seasons and was highly rated in '22 for the Steelers. Unfortunately, guard play isnt something that stands out to fans unless they are watching the team play.
Rams rushed for 84 yds per game before Dotson, 128 yds per game with him
Cant tell how good a player is until he plays, and that we've seen him, he was damn good

dang

Legend
Nobody is guaranteed of performing
The list of highly paid free agents who underwhelm is very long
Beg to differ. There are some. AD, Mahomes, Kelce, TJ Watt, Kupp, McC, Zack Martin, etc. again barring injury.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he really asks for $20 million a year the screw you thank you for a season and the 3rd round comp pick.