Dotson and a contract

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If he really asks for $20 million a year the screw you thank you for a season and the 3rd round comp pick.
But would the Rams get a comp pick for Dotson?

If the Rams spend enough $ in Free Agency, their additions could out-weigh their losses.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I wonder as well and we'll see if it turns out this way. IF (and that's a big IF) there is another Avila out there, he won't cost much and the Rams can use the cap savings on Shelton or whatever free agents they want to sign. Many options available.
Definitely agree there. There are so many directions the Rams can go here which makes it a bit nerving wrecking but definitely more exciting to see how it ultimately plays out.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
What isnt an argument is that the o-line from last year only has 2 of the 5 starters under contract
Absolutely. And if they don't sign at least 1 of the free agents (Alaric probably), the proverbial excrement will hit the fan. They might get by with a 1st round C and free agent guard.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

If the Rams spend enough $ in Free Agency, their additions could out-weigh their losses.
Great point. Spend low, draft well, win the Superbowl and go into run-it-back mode with a shitload of picks! :biggrin:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wouldn't be worrying too much about comp picks this season. It's a nice thing to play, that game. But using FA to frontload that value in order to try to get the most from Stafford's remaining time is preferable to me.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It would negate a big signing and lend towards comp for any other players true. But that said still I don't want him at $20 million

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
You will really try to make anything in to an argument.
The philosophy has changed, sorry you cant see that
You can't force a guy to sign... so not sure we know anything yet as far as what their approach will be. And as it is, they already signed a guy.

Now, they obviously have cap space this yr and a first rd pick. So yeah, circumstances are a little different, but I don’t see how someone can claim they are changing their approach or claim to know what their plan is at this point, other than the obvious that they have more resources this yr.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Beg to differ. There are some. AD, Mahomes, Kelce, TJ Watt, Kupp, McC, Zack Martin, etc. again barring injury.
Those players didn’t change teams.
The point was big free agent signings often don’t work out.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can't force a guy to sign... so not sure we know anything yet as far as what their approach will be. And as it is, they already signed a guy.

Now, they obviously have cap space this yr and a first rd pick. So yeah, circumstances are a little different, but I don’t see how someone can claim they are changing their approach or claim to know what their plan is at this point, other than the obvious that they have more resources this yr.
Philosophy

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
What isnt an argument is that the o-line from last year only has 2 of the 5 starters under contract
Well, we also control AJax, so really its 3.
Obviously, I don’t post, but have read this site for years. Having never played football, but have been a Ram for decades I have some knowledge of the game. Certainly, not near as much as most that post here. That being said, here's my thoughts on resigning of Dotson and his FA market.

First, I think Sneed is playing this the right way with both Dotson and Shelton. Before 2023 Dotson was at best an average guard. And then, for whatever reason, he becomes a top player at his position. If another team had a need for a top guard, would they commit $15-$18-$20MM a year for five years after only one year of outstanding play with another team? I would not. Why? Maybe, the scheme isn’t compatible (Pittsburg), won’t respond to the line coach, the overall coaching and team environment isn’t as good, or the chance to win consistently isn’t there. That’s a lot of money to commit to someone who out of nowhere plays at an All-Pro level.

For the reasons above, I would be surprised if he receives any long term offers for over $15MM annually. Because of his sudden great play in 2023 Sneed might look at a contract such as:

$75MM / 5 year with $30MM guaranteed at signing in the first two years. This way if Dotson reverts back to his previous play the contract is done in two years with a small dead cap number. A possible structure might be a $10MM signing bonus prorated at $2MM a year for the five years. Then a salary of $8MM in 2024 and $12MM for 2025.
For example the cap hits might be:
2024 - $10MM
2025 - $14MM
2026-28 - $17MM a year

This way Dotson gets a guaranteed $30MM in the first two years and if he continues to play at an All-Pro level more money can be guaranteed after the 2025 season. It’s just one example that might work for both parties. Dotson seemed to like playing for the Rams and his teammates appeared to enjoy and respect him as well. But, I’m not naive to think Dotson may just want the big bag and doesn’t care that much about winning or playing for an outstanding coaching staff and environment.

As for Shelton. I’d go $6-7MM per year at most for two years. I can’t see another team paying him more than that. Consider he plays between Avila and Dotson. Unless another team has a guard tandem of that quality then why would they sign Shelton? I think his market is pretty much the Rams. And, Avila was an outstanding center in his final year in college. So, no Shelton, then move Avila to center and draft a guard (3rd round?). There’s plenty of good ones available. Or, there could be a guard prospect already on the team that’s ready to step up.

Sorry for the long post. The bright side is that I only post every few years! Lol.
Great post! I'd encourage you to post more.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Just a quick opinion of on the Rams' O-Line.

Would like continuity, with the starters returning; and a third round draft choice on a young OL to develop.

However, should Dotson's price tag be beyond what the Rams will do, I would like to see a pivot at Center; and the Rams sign former UCLA Bruin and Las Vegas Raider Andre James.

James figures to be more expensive than Shelton but he is younger and, in my opinion, better than Shelton.

The Rams would have a new massive hole at Right Guard but an actual upgrade at Center.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Absolutely. Conversely, an argument can be made that we only need 1 CB. Do Kendricks, Durant and Tomlinson take steps from last year to this year (as you mention)? Not to mention Lake in a coverage role.
From an odds standpoint, I think 1 in 3 here can take another next step.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I wouldn't be worrying too much about comp picks this season. It's a nice thing to play, that game. But using FA to frontload that value in order to try to get the most from Stafford's remaining time is preferable to me.
Also, and I know I'm beating a horse here, but there's already been reports that NIL is gutting rounds 5-7 this year and the expectation is that it will continue to do so in years to come, perhaps the value of comp picks won't be as high going forward unless its a huge contract and you're getting a 4th.

dang

Legend
From an odds standpoint, I think 1 in 3 here can take another next step.
An average vet was the clear best CB on the roster last year. And we won’t likely resign him. So I think we have 2 spots open at CB. We do have the NB position covered with Lake or Tomlinson.

WestCoastRam

Legend
An average vet was the clear best CB on the roster last year. And we won’t likely resign him. So I think we have 2 spots open at CB. We do have the NB position covered with Lake or Tomlinson.
Rams only had Tomlinson play outside CB in camp so I think it remains to be seen. Just cause he's small doesn't mean he has the skills to play NB.

I suspect Lake at best is a part time starter at NB depending on matchups with big slot receivers which is the majority of the league though, I think these days.

dang

Legend
Rams only had Tomlinson play outside CB in camp so I think it remains to be seen. Just cause he's small doesn't mean he has the skills to play NB.

I suspect Lake at best is a part time starter at NB depending on matchups with big slot receivers which is the majority of the league though, I think these days.
I’m actually thinking Lake can man the SS position. But point being all 5 DB positions are up for grabs - so the Rams need to infuse some serious talent.