Donovan McNabb on Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I know most here won't agree but I'd trade Bradford in an instant if we could get a first round pick for him. I'd probably even do it for a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl unless the defense is elite. And that's not even taking into consideration his durability issues.

You were right about me at least. I strongly disagree.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree with you but, what says we have to raise his salary? At this point he's not proved his worth!
I'm talking about negotiating ANY contract. What if we want him to restructure or take somewhat of a cut so we can afford to keep some other players as their contracts become due?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sam Bradford being compared to Matt Flynn, stopped me cold man,don't mean to be dismissive, but Flynn had never even won that job.

Edit: Not to raise any ire here and I know I'm supposed to hate all things Seahawk, but I love Russell Wilson,he is all but tall, great kid, great leader, if they lose him they are JAT.

I wasn't comparing Sam to anyone actually, I was just identifying a situation in which a 3rd round QB DID prove to be worth taking, even though the team that drafted him had just thrown a shton of $ at a veteran.

Totally agree about Wilson. That kid is really hard to hate. Would love to have him in Horns....uh oh. :uhm: ......you know.....in case Sam went down to injury.

Last edited by a moderator:

lasvegasrams

Rookie
I wasn't comparing Sam to ANYONE actually. Just listing a situation in which a 3rd rounder came in and took a vets job. Not just a vet, but A The Squalks paid a lot of coinf for Flynn, so they must have thought he was purdy good yes?

I wasn't comparing Sam to anyone actually, I was just identifying a situation in which a 3rd round QB DID prove to be worth taking, even though the team that drafted him had just thrown a shton of $ at a veteran.

Totally agree about Wilson. That kid is really hard to hate. Would love to have him in Horns....uh oh. :uhm: ......you know.....in case Sam went down to injury.

Well Russell has the benefit of playing with veterans who snort adderall, something Sam doesn't have

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Really hate to agree but I do. SO not kaperdick.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sam needs to do 1 major thing different. take more chances (no I did not say turn the ball over more) have a little more of a gunslinger mentality. Coach's call it throwing a receiver open. he has the tools now show the confidence. This being said Sam has never been given protection and a receiving core that elicits the confidence I would like to see him play with. none of our receivers have stepped up enough, Givens development has slowed, Quick is getting better but still a bit of a project. Pettis is a situational receiver. The others unproven and still developing and yes I do want to see more of Bailey. Austin will be fine but doesn't really apply to this conversation. Protection, Consistent weapons and display of confidence in his arm and the players around him to justify that confidence and a cutthroat killer mentality then we will see.

…..

Legend
It was engrained in Sam through Pat Shurmer to be careful. The dink and dunk offense off 3 years ago is still in his system. But he's getting better and I think he would have flourished this year had he not been injured.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Sam needs to do 1 major thing different. take more chances (no I did not say turn the ball over more) have a little more of a gunslinger mentality. Coach's call it throwing a receiver open. he has the tools now show the confidence. This being said Sam has never been given protection and a receiving core that elicits the confidence I would like to see him play with. none of our receivers have stepped up enough, Givens development has slowed, Quick is getting better but still a bit of a project. Pettis is a situational receiver. The others unproven and still developing and yes I do want to see more of Bailey. Austin will be fine but doesn't really apply to this conversation. Protection, Consistent weapons and display of confidence in his arm and the players around him to justify that confidence and a cutthroat killer mentality then we will see.

Agree. I think Studman is the type of WR that you can "throw open" once you have confidence and timing worked out. Maybe even Pettis is he sticks next year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
It was engrained in Sam through Pat Shurmer to be careful. The dink and dunk offense off 3 years ago is still in his system. But he's getting better and I think he would have flourished this year had he not been injured.

Don't forget that Sam had to sit through a weekly one-on-one meeting with the Offensive Master-Mind Spags and listen to exactly how bad the opposing defense was going to ruin Sam's day... :slap:

So his foundation was laid with learning how to play Offense in the most Defensive manner.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I think Rams receivers (sadly) continue to show that they haven't earned the trust needed for Bradford to "take chances".

jap

Legend
I think Rams receivers (sadly) continue to show that they haven't earned the trust needed for Bradford to "take chances".

Agreed!, and I feel that is the real reason why Sam doesn't take as many risks. He didn't seem to have any problems throwing to Danny_A under tight coverage, but, of course, Danny had earned his full trust. Our young fly boys simply need to grow the hell up. In a sense they are having to do that somewhat right now. Kellen doesn't throw balls as catchable as Sam's so they often have to make more adjustments to grab the rock now. It should be a real treat for them when the more accurate Sam returns to active duty.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I love Sam,I think he'll stick for a few more years. He hasn't shown IT yet, but he has shown flashes of being a damn fine QB which is exciting. I'm happy to let it ride with Bradford under center. That being said, if the Rams were to take a flyer on Aaron Murray in like round 3 or 4 (if he drops because of injury) I would not be opposed at all. I think all NFL teams should draft a developmental QB once every few years and see what happens.

That the Patriots were able to to turn trash (Matt Cassel) into treasure (a 2nd round pick) and are still always rumored to be in position to do the same thing (Ryan Mallet) makes me wonder why more teams aren't following the lead. Not only that, but seeing the Colts, Packers, Texans and Vikings (albeit to a lesser extent) all fall out of favor due to the loss of starting QBs...be prepared.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm of the opinion that this Rams team will make a serious run to daylight next season(playoffs). Thats "if" Sam's rehab goes well and we have a good draft.
IMO trading Sam at this point would set us back another year or two,hoping and praying we find a replacement QB just as the rest of the roster is putting it all together finally. I'm not completely sold on Bradford either,but i'd like to think that he's going to learn a few things about throwing caution to the wind by sitting and watching Clemens throwing wobbly darts into tight coverage out there and occasionally making big plays.

Judging by whats out there i just don't see the logic in replacing Sam with another rookie QB or an older re-tread-type guy to carry the torch for the youngest roster in the league. Why do that?

Let Sam come back from the injury and give him that last full year of evaluation and chance to shine with what will easily be the best roster support he's ever been surrounded by.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
He was playing awesome this year before he got hurt. Nothing to prove in terms of his ability - he put to bed the dink and dunk - it was bombs over Baghdad in the Carolina game and the Houston game - he put to bed the "stares down recievers" criticsm - looking off Jonathan Cyprien for a long bomb td in the Jacksonville game springs to mind - the only thing he still needs to do a bit better is feel the pocket and step up through it - but again he was improving here and getting better. He had a lot of issues in his first 3 years in the league to deal with - and has been hurt by a porous o-line over the years and a lack of talent at WR - his numbers are always lower than they should be because of the ridiculous numbers of drops we have compared to other teams.

For me he's our QB for the next 10 years - UNLESS, he gets hurt again. If he misses a lot of time again next year then maybe there are durability issues and well have to look at bringing in another young QB next year.

There's no way I'd trade him for a first round pick when we have 2 anyway! Even if we didn't I wouldn't!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
He did say one thing that is pertinent.

McNabb said it's very important that your QB is there playing. If the team isn't sure they can depend on you being there, there is no confidence the the QB will grow with the team.

Actually, Tarkington said the same thing before the season started. He said Sam must stay healthy and stay on the field.

I have no confidence that Sam can play more than one 16 game season in a row. He's never done it.

Snead was big on performance being related to staying healthy. It makes you wonder how much longer they stick with Sam.

Anyone who thinks Sam is just gonna come back next year and the risk of him going down again is no higher than any other QB is beng overly optimistic.

They probably will stick with Sam next year, but my guess is that inside the building, they aren't sold on his durability. And if they don't extend his contract next year that will be an indication that they are more worried about him then they are letting on.

Truth just flat our hurts....Sam last five yrs one in college & four in the NFL....3 out of 5 had injuries with a big loss of playing time. Snead & Fisher still in their 2nd yr in command of the Ram helm...will conclude in adding two more non winning seasons to go with the previous 8 non wining seasons...Kellen Clemens as Sam's back up should not be a redo!

Me thinks that Snead & Fisher knows that if Sam goes down again in 2014 & they have not used their past three previous drafts to bring in a solid young strong healthy QB to back up Sam will certainly amp up the barking dogs after a third non winning yr under them.

Too me its a no brainer ....draft a strong young healthy QB in 2014 to back up Sam Bradford for the two obvious reasons.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5161/sam-bradford

Beat writer Jim Thomas does not think the Rams will use one of their 2014 first-round picks on a quarterback.

If the season ended today, the Rams would hold the Redskins' No. 2 overall pick as a result of the Robert Griffin III trade and they would also hold their own No. 14 pick. By passing on a quarterback in this quarterback-rich class, they'd be throwing another vote of confidence behind Sam Bradford (IR, torn ACL). It'd be a risky decision considering Bradford's career 18-30-1 record, 58.6 completion percentage, the serious nature of his injury and the fact that his contract is up after 2015. The decision will define GM Les Snead's tenure. Dec 4 - 10:33 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

F. Mulder

Starter
I think they need to draft a QB to develop as well. I'm not talking 1st round or even rounds 1-2 but someone in the 3rd-4th round range who may be a bit raw but has the tools to develop to be a solid to above average QB with coaching, time, and desire.

I wonder if the injuries to Murray, Mettenberger from LSU, as well as guys like MCcarron could be solid targets. I know there are a lot of others and I'm not a draft guru but the point is that I think they need to, and will, address the position and hopefully it will be someone who can develop if given the chance.